Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting chemo July 2014

Options

Comments

• CoyoteNV
    CoyoteNV Member Posts: 286
    Options

Mommymel,  The 8th is Tuesday - my birthday.  Thursday is the 10th. (Chemo day for me.  And you? 

• mommymel
    mommymel Member Posts: 77
    Options

Sorry ;( I  mess that up is Tuesday the 8 your birthday .... 

• AJ62
    AJ62 Member Posts: 27
    Options

Hello everyone! 

I am new here. Been laying low as my treatment has not yet started thanks to insurance issues. But thankfully I had a few things done before some were cancelled. 

I am to start Chemo SOON. I should know this week, so soon as I do I shall post this to be added in there.

Thanks for this forum and take care everyone ! Stay strong!

• ChaosRains
    ChaosRains Member Posts: 90
    Options

Hey ya'll add another to the list...

I have a busy week... port placement monday meeting with oncologist tuesday and first round of chemo on Wednesday... the 9th. 

Scared out of my mind, but not letting the fear win... remember to breathe

• magdalene51
    magdalene51 Member Posts: 2,062
    Options

AJ & Chaos have been added to our list. Welcome, ladies, to the club no one wants to join. We are here for you, and hoping you have an easy chemo.

I know I'm not drinking enough water, I've never been a water drinker, so I struggle with that. Cousin is getting me some Smart Water so that may help.

Just nausea, not throwing up.

• Blownaway
    Blownaway Member Posts: 662
    Options

Hey Mags - I can actually say I know how you feel. I shed a few tears of self pity for myself yesterday but today is better. I got up and made myself an egg and raisin toast this morning just to move around some and then felt too ill to eat it all. Have you tried greek yogurt with fruit on the bottom for some quick protein? It goes down fairly easier than an egg.

• Blownaway
    Options

Hi choas rains welcome and good luck with your port placement. I got mine, saw my oncologist and had my first chemo all the same day. I know it seems like a lot, but you'll pull through.

• kitkatmo
    kitkatmo Member Posts: 15
    Options

Is there a recommended dosage for the L-glucamine?

• magdalene51
    Options

Blownaway, I'm going through a couple of Greek yogurt a day, so far no mouth sores. I'm noticing the change in how things taste. I usually drink a lot of orange juice but it's not tasting good, and the worst thing is, I can't stand the taste of ginger any more! Right now I'm drinking cranberry juice, that seems ok. Strangest thing is, I'm not wanting the bland stuff, I'm wanting savory. I had a hot dog with ketchup and mustard and bread and butter pickles and it was really good and set well. DH is grilling some brats for dinner and I'm going to have some with some special mustard and good potato salad. Looking forward to eating...priceless.

• CoyoteNV
    Options

Kitkatmo, I took this information off one of the discussions.  I wish I could give the right credit, but I just copied it down for my own information.  I spoke with the chemo nurse about it, and she said it was fine.  My onc office pretty much follows the "It won't hurt you." philosophy. I'm sort of on my own for the adjunctive part of my care. Research, research, research. 

I made a binder of all sorts of BC treatment and diet hints.

<< 
    “To avoid neuropathy use glutamine. Numbness is cumulative. I added the powder to ginger ale. It’s hard to stay suspended in any other form of fluid. I took two tbsp. in my ginger ale twice daily. Take in as much as you can or as little as you can get down. It does work, or it did for me. Others on my board used it and had positive results too. “>>

<<“I did some research when I started taxol and learned that the dosage should be 30 grams of glutamine per day, split up into two or three "servings". 15 grams is about one heaping tablespoon. The dosage was confirmed by my chemo nurses. I don't know how much it will help after the fact (after finishing chemo) but it won't hurt to try. I also took 100 mg of B6 per day”>>

If anyone knows to whom these quotes should be attributed, please let me know, and I'll edit this. Sorry about that.

Sounds like you are feeling better Mags.  That's great.  My diet restrictions are exacerbated because I am diabetic. A hotdog and bun smothered in mustard sounds like a little bit of heaven!  Especially if it stays put.

• magdalene51
    Options

And the brats stayed down too. And potato salad. And my cousin smuggled in a special dessert – she spoils me – a chocolate creme horn. Wow. It was wonderful.

Nausea seems to have subsided and I'm really tired so going to bed. Nini.

• Blownaway
    Options

Are you kidding? Ive been lucky to get down a few bites of mashed potatoes popsicles yogurt applesauce - tiny amounts every few hours. Lots of water and the anti-nausea pills. Ambien at night. Very weak but forcing myself to move around more. I,ve always been wimpy when ill.

• Mumford
    Mumford Member Posts: 88
    Options

Me: Normie_Delaney July 4

• Mumford
    Mumford Member Posts: 88
    Options

I started TC on July 4. Neulasta pain...wish I knew about the Claritin sooner. I will dash out to get some tonight (day 4). So far so good, I suppose. My mouth is a bit tingly and bones are achy, some constipation and not the best sleep, but otherwise, blessedly well (considering what could occur). 

• CoyoteNV
    Options

Blownaway; I fear that your experience is more like mine was last time and expect to be this time.  It will subside (I'm pretty sure and do hope so)  You will be happy to know that you will be feeling good in time to get the next infusion. Smile if you can. 

• CoyoteNV
    Options

How are you other "first weekers" doing?   There's a big group of us starting this week.  You "first weekers" will have to hold our hands - if you can. 

Welcome to our boat Mumford.  Funny what they don't tell you isn't it? Maybe "funny" is the wrong word.

• magdalene51
    Options

I was feeling better last night but today has been the worst. My gut has been awful and nothing is working. Can't stomach the thought of ginger in any form – did I overdo when I didn't need it and now can't tolerate it? Maybe. Anyway the gut is just gurgling like I've been drinking water nonstop but I haven't. Gonna try some yogurt. 

Welcome Mumford!

• ChaosRains
    Options

so wednesday i start round 1 of 7 treatments with red devil (AC) one treatment every other week then 14 treatments once a week of taxol. (T)

Anyone else on a similar regime? Nerves are jumpy port placed tomorrow morning appt with onco tues afternoon and chemo bright and early Wednesday 

• magdalene51
    Options

I get the red devil every 3 weeks, 6 times, along with Cytoxan and taxotere. Hope you breeze through, and keep us informed.

As for me, it's time to shut it down and get some sleep.

• nancy2581
    nancy2581 Member Posts: 407
    Options

Mine is the same as Mags.  Every three weeks of TAC for 6 times.  Ugh.  Are any of you extremely exhausted from all the stress/anxiety?  Haven't even started treatment yet and I'm already tired.  Of course, the ativan I take at times probably isn't helping.

Nancy

• kpmacmill
    kpmacmill Member Posts: 69
    Options

Chaos - I'm getting 4 AC every other week, then 12 weekly Taxol. I was supposed to start Wednesday, but looks like it will be delayed now. I got into a cycling accident yesterday. A dog jumped in my path and wiped me out - I was going pretty fast coming down a hill near my house. I broke two ribs, punctured my lung, 3 staples in the back of my head, abrasions all over. Hopefully can talk to ONC today to see how to proceed.

• ChaosRains
    Options

Omg kp that sounds horrible!  Everytime i think i have it bad i hear something that makes me rethink things... wishing you a speedy recovery and good news from your onc

Hope everyone else is doing well... on way to get port placed... nervous but just want to fet this over and done

• nancy2581
    nancy2581 Member Posts: 407
    Options

Oh no KP.  I hope you are ok.  So scary.  Many good thoughts for you.

Nancy

• JoeysMommy
    JoeysMommy Member Posts: 64
    Options

Good Morning Ladies,  I hope everyone finds a reason to smile today Smile 

KP - I will be having the same treatment as you beginning July 16th.  I am hoping as we all are for minimal side effects as I continue to pop on and off of here to see how everyone is doing.   I am sorry to see what you have just been through and am sending positive thoughts and prayers your way.   Hoping for a good day for all the ladies who are walking this journey together ~

• CoyoteNV
    Options

KP: So sorry to hear about your accident. In a small way I can relate.  My horse stepped on my foot while I was wearing light cotton shoes. I had not started chemo.  It delayed everything and added pain and stress.  Chemo does not speed up healing.

Today belongs to LadyTdf.  Hope it all goes well.  Let us know.

• RainDew
    RainDew Member Posts: 228
    Options

oh no KP! That is horrible!! So sorry and wishing you as speedy recovery as possible. Let us know how it goes.

Other starters this week - are you as nervous as me? I have till Friday to obsess about it, clearly not going to be a very focused week for me. I think this is partly because it is so unknown.

Thinking of each of you as you get started. Is anyone else doing TC? 

Best to you all!

Rain

• magdalene51
    Options

Oh kp! Talk about adding insult to injury! Please let us know what your oncologist says. We are here for you whatever happens. 

Our plumber stopped by this morning to clear a stubborn drain. He's been our plumber for probably 15 years, so how did I not know that his wife had BC? He stopped and talked about her journey a bit and wished me the same outcome, she is 8 years out and NED. Things like that make me feel so selfish and self centered. But that's nothing I didn't already know about myself.

Still having gut issues this morning. Ugh.

• JoeysMommy
    Options

Hi Mags...

Hope your gut issues are getting less and less as the days go by.   Did you get the shot the day after treatment?  Have you experience any bone pain or are you taking the claratin and is that working..  I hope I am not asking you to repeat yourself if you have said this before.. I check in at work and usually don't have time to backtrack on the posts so please forgive me..  I know every person is different and will handle treatment differently but it does ease the anxiety a bit when you know the real possibilities..  Sending you positive thoughts for a better day tomorrow Smile

• magdalene51
    Options

Don't worry about asking me to repeat stuff because my memory is so bad I will have forgotten I ever said it.

I had the Neulasta shot on Wednesday and coincidentally I take rx clarinex which doc said should do the trick. And it has. I am certainly achy but I'm pretty sure it's spared me the worst of it. And bonus it helps the allergies. 

I could not imagine doing this and having to work. Thankful I retired 5 years ago. Bless you gals who have work, and families, and other demands on you, please ask those who love you for help.

• JoeysMommy
    Options

I am so fortunate to have a great job and boss who will work with me through my treatment plan and do anything to help..  If I am tired I can lay on my her couch if needed..  I scheduled my treatments for mid day so I will leave work early and be able to go home after infusion..  Although the side effects as I have read come on after and last a few days I plan on working through my treatment as long as I am able to.. Mostly because I am trying to avoid any drastic changes to my daily routine for my 10 year old son.   I did tell him about my breast cancer and he really did ok with knowing which I am so grateful for.   Prior to her passing, my mother had those shots during her treatment for lung cancer and I imagine that because she also had leukemia for 21 years her bone marrow was working triple time during treatment so she did experience a lot of bone pain in her skull, chest and lower back during treatment.    I do have a lot of support between friends and family so there will be a lot of sleep overs going in in the next few months as my son is a diabetic and needs care as well as having his glucose checked in the middle of the night.  

I am going to maintain a positive attitude and focus on being a survivor which I wish for all of us Smile