Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting chemo August 2014

Options
1128129130131132134»

Comments

• jaycee49
    jaycee49 Member Posts: 1,264
    edited August 2019
    Options

I started out in this thread. I didn't hang around that long to get to know people that well but I remember you and others. You beat me to stage IV, not a race you want to win. I'm doing ok but worry that my 3+ years on my first line tx is running out. I just keep slogging along and hope you are, too.

• ladyb1234
    ladyb1234 Member Posts: 1,237
    edited August 2019
    Options

Hi Beatmon. Wow -- 5 years. I was so thrilled when those anniversary came around.

I celebrate my sisters that are here for their 5 year anniversary and that we can begin the next 5 years. Praying you are living life and that many goals and milestones have been achieved.

I mourn those we have lost from the August 2014: PurpleGirl (Robyn), StarLover, Mammaray, and Mags from the July 2014 who cheered us on often.

What has been going on with me the last 5 years: I am a grandma 3 times over now and loving it. I have two wonderful soon to be son-in-laws. Received an awesome promotion, I am the Assistant CIO at my job -- officially at the Executive C level. Will hold my 3rd annual Woman's Healing Retreat in November to give back to the community and help women that struggle mentally, physically and spiritually. I love giving back and supporting those that are going through treatment.

Lastly, just love beginning me and living life. I have to say it took me almost 2 years before the total fear of the "BIG C" didn't paralyze me. Don't get me wrong I still think on it but the "fear" doesn't stop me anymore. I have switched to an AI less than a year ago, as I am no "official" in menopause.

Can't wait to hear from the rest of the Crew.

Beatmon and Jaycee thanks for calling on us to post.

Love Across the Miles,

Angie

• CassieCat
    CassieCat Member Posts: 863
    edited August 2019
    Options

I check in every so often and am still clear of cancer! My survivorship anniversary is the 19th and I will always be grateful for the support I found in this group. Hug

• Catie57
    Catie57 Member Posts: 259
    edited August 2019
    Options

Hi August 2014 group, Feeling fortunate to know still good at our five year mark. Keeping up with my annual visits to BS, ONC, with annual Mamo/ultrasounds. BS said this year offering MRI. My husband asked from the beginning why they didn't just do them. Apparently because people end up with too many false positives and unnecessary biopsies. Opted to wait until next year. Not very fond memories of the past ones either. Going for another Zometa treatment next month. ONC thought it would be a good idea to continue on the Arimidex another couple of years. Heading to China end of Sept to visit my son and fiancé. They plan to get married by judge while we are visiting. Possibly have a real wedding following year. Did you know in China the man pays for the wedding. Lol looking forward to our trip. Very grateful for the posts and updates on how you are doing. Cathie

• Beatmon
    Beatmon Member Posts: 617
    edited August 2019
    Options

Congrats on your son’s upcoming wedding. Hope you have a wonderful trip to China.

Good to hear you are doing well

• windgirl
    windgirl Member Posts: 208
    edited April 2020
    Options

Hi, I was stopping by the forum to get some info and wanted to say hi to my chemo group. Hope you all are doing well and staying safe with this virus. Take care!!

• nottoday
    nottoday Member Posts: 81
    edited April 2020
    Options

Likewise - greetings all, from Western North Carolina. Hope you are all staying safe.

I completed 5 years of an AI last month, and, given the evidence, likely will not go back on. What decisions have others made about this?

• windgirl
    edited May 2020
    Options

I am going through similar decisions with Tamoxifen. I’m Tripple positive so while the Atlas study is helpful it’s not directly applicable to my type. My doctor will be getting a second opinion and I may as well. He is leaning towards me getting off it but it’s such a hard decision as I still get periods. I also have to get the ultrasound for lining to see how that’s doing, which I guess will play into the decision.

• nottoday
    edited May 2020
    Options

Good luck with your decision! Might be interesting and helpful to know what you decide and why. Seems it's not a black and white decision for any of us.

• Beatmon
    edited May 2020
    Options

Hi, everyone. Glad to see some checkins.

• nottoday
    edited May 2020
    Options

Good to see you, too, Beatmon!

How are you doing? I hope all is well.

• windgirl
    edited May 2020
    Options

hi nottoday I will report back once I talk to my doctor in 2 months (he will be getting some opinions as well). Stay safe everyone

• Catie57
    Catie57 Member Posts: 259
    edited July 2020
    Options

Hello to All my old friends from New York. Staying on Arimidex for another two years as per Oncologist. Only real noticeable side effect has been aches in hands. Find turmeric helps a lot. I take it in pill form because not fond of taste. Hope everyone is being safe during this strange time in life with this pandemic. Be safe!

• ladyb1234
    edited July 2020
    Options

Hi All, another year since diagnosis and post final chemo. I hope all are doing well. I am settling in with Arimidex and will be on it for another 5 years. Each year I thank God for the previouis year and pray for each of us to age gracefully as we enjoy our lives, family and just life in general. Be safe and stay safe.

• nottoday
    edited July 2020
    Options

Greetings, all,

Tomorrow is the 6th anniversary of my diagnosis, and like LadyB, grateful to be here and for all the good years between now and then. I left off exemestane in mid-March after completing five years. The evidence for continuing beyond 5 years seemed unconvincing to me, but I also understand why some choose to keep going through year 7. I was hoping I'd be swinging from the chandelier with new-found energy, but sadly that didn't happen. I feel fine, though. I retired from my full-time job last September and started law school part-time. I am really enjoying that and looking for to the beginning of the semester (on-line) next month.

Sending love and hoping we all stay safe during the pandemic (as if breast cancer weren't enough to worry about!).

• Gatomal
    Gatomal Member Posts: 418
    edited September 2020
    Options

Hi everybody! Doing well...6 yrs after FC. Been doing Physical therapy and Pilates weekly all year-really helping w my back pain. Been on keto for 6 months and really helping keeping meno-bloat away—but gosh I just wanted to drink wine and eat cookies during this whole covid mess.

Post and check in. Chemo babies doing great. Almost six years old (Janimage

• jenifere
    jenifere Member Posts: 94
    edited October 2020
    Options

Gatomal, love seeing your babies growing up!

I am cancer free, newly retired from teaching, enjoying my first grandchild, Madeline. My daughter is expecting twins in January. Trying to keep the osteoporosis at bay so I can help my kids with their kids! image

• ladyb1234
    edited August 2021
    Options

Greetings All, i haven’t been on the site for a while.

Counting it a blessing that it is another year since diagnosis and post final chemo. I hope all are doing well. Each year I thank God for the previouis year and pray for each of us as we age gracefully and enjoy our lives, family and just life in general. Be safe and stay safe.

Blessings and love across the miles,

Angie

• nottoday
    edited August 2021
    Options

Thanks, Angie, for checking in on us.

How wonderful when we can focus on other things besides breast cancer. I remember when it was all I thought about. Now we can celebrate each amazing day and just the fact that we are here to experience it all.

I, too, hope that everyone is well and staying safe.

• Beatmon
    edited September 2021
    Options

Hello LadyB,

I’m still here! Good to see your post

• ladyb1234
    edited January 2023
    Options

Greetings All, i haven't been on the site for a while or should I say a very long time. I hope all are doing well. I am still on Arimidex and will be on it until 2025.

To be honest what drove me here is the loss of a very very dear friend to BC. I miss her dearly. I am still in Ministry with my hubby, Working and planning to retire in 2 years.

Counting it a blessing each year and I thank God for the previous year and pray for each of us as we age gracefully and enjoy our lives, family and just life in general. Be safe and stay safe.

Beatmon, if you see this know that I think of you all of the time

Blessings and love across the miles,

Angie

• elainetherese
    elainetherese Member Posts: 1,627
    edited January 2023
    Options

Hey, ladyb! Good to see you back for a little visit. I did chemo in July 2014 and remember you from back then. I'm still on Zoladex + Aromasin and hope to finish that up in 2025 as well. I'm sorry to hear about your friend, but glad to hear that you are doing well. Yes, let us count our blessings and be grateful for another year.

• ncswic2024
    ncswic2024 Member Posts: 2
    Options

Formerly known as gatomal…

waiting for a recurrence is like waiting for the other shoe to drop. After 9 years…the other shoe dropped.

first go round I had stage 3 (b?, c?) never able to stage it as I was pregnant with my second set of twins… y first set of twins were 15 months old at the time. AC/T, lumpectomy/reduction/ re-excision to get clear margins…rads…ovarian suppression and Letrozole from the get go. 

Clinical trial for palbociclib and zometa infusions…a few years later ovaries removed —

brought up my concern of changes, fullness…increasing truncal lymphedema —just thought I wasn’t doing enough lymphatic drainage…got new compression, started back with a LE therapist…moved back from one-year surveillance to six months…onc was like…it’s nothing…dime a dozen…kinda waved me off, but I persisted anyway.

in September, got a mammo and ultrasound, but no bx…got an MRI and bx two weeks ago…it’s back. 

have a pet/ct and SO/Onc appointment 11/28…I am fearful my symptoms are IBC. ‘Bug bite” on breast in July that’s never really gone away…increasing lesions in breast folds that look like heat rash or pimples…but these haven’t cleared…which seems easy to explain away with 24 hour compression wearing. In the past 6 weeks though—intense nipple pain…itching outside of breast…add to this my hip and distal femur pain and I’m thinking I’ve progressed to stage IV with IBC. My kids are 11 and 8 and there is so much more for me to do. Thinking about how I’m going to wrap presents after chemo…as I’m sure that chemo/mastectomy/deip flap?/rads? are all back on the menu. 

My mom is now 84, she helped tremendously 9 year ago, but she just can’t do it again, I’m sure. She lives a few houses away…and My husband and I have been holding in this news from our kids and I’m afraid this news will kill my mother…or worse, give her a stroke. And who is going to take care of her? I’m so sad, angry, guilty (!) I know—it’s nuts, but…

I’ve been coping okay since finding out 5 days ago…but the IBC panic and stage 4 possibility have been really hard to overcome. My parents are aged and have some mild dementia…I am kinda the glue for everybody…I am grateful for the time I’ve had with the kids, and that even the second set of twins who got chemo in utero are fine…and I know this is just the beginning of a new part of the journey…but…it’s devastating.