Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

ILC - Old Lady Cancer?

Options

Comments

• trvler
    trvler Member Posts: 931
    Options

I think some doctors do not discuss the ILC thing vs. IDC enough. When I mentioned it to my first BS, he basically told me 'don't worry your pretty little head about it'. When I went to get a second opinion because he was a condescending A-hole, she reimaged my same breast and found MORE areas of cancer. I asked why she did more imagining and she said her philosophy was 'one and done' with regard to surgery. He was recommending lx and rads. I understand the idea of going less invasive when possible, but if you know it is ILC, you should be more thorough in your pre surgical analysis, IMO. My breasts were not that large and the lx would have disfigured me. I am not sure what the PS ramifications would have been ultimately, because I went for the MX and DIEP. I am going to give the BS the benefit of the doubt and not assume he was trying to increase the bottom line at the hospital by doing a second surgery.

• trvler
    trvler Member Posts: 931
    Options

I should add that although I had the OTHER breast removed as well for symmetry, there was no cancer in that breast.

• Dawn41
    Dawn41 Member Posts: 17
    Options

Thank you and best of luck to you also.

• mss_27_72
    mss_27_72 Member Posts: 1
    Options

I was 47 and pre-menopausal with regular periods. I found the lump high on my chest (4 fingers below left clavicle) as if overnight it came out of nowhere December 21,2019- worst X-mas gift I ever received. Had dx of ca before new year. Ruined the holidays for my poor kiddos & me— but I'm still here! Was on Tami but had sapling oophrectomy two weeks ago and on AI now- menopause awful- fatigue, hot flashes. Oncotype 13. God blessxx

• Dreamhome
    Dreamhome Member Posts: 5
    Options

I am 72 and just diagnosed.

• naps
    naps Member Posts: 27
    Options

I was 44. Premenopausal. Bolt out of the blue--super healthy, no family history. It was PILC and hormone receptor negative/HER2+, at least at first. 5 years out now.

• karen1956
    karen1956 Member Posts: 4,506
    Options

• ltrinidad
    ltrinidad Member Posts: 6
    Options

Diagnosed at age 47. Premenopausal. Apparently, still very small (1cm), surprisingly found in a mammogram.

• BCat40
    BCat40 Member Posts: 121
    Options

I was diagnosed with ILC a few months after turning 40.

• LibbyX3
    LibbyX3 Member Posts: 1
    Options

I was diagnosed at 52.

• Longtails
    Longtails Member Posts: 2
    Options

I was 37 with no family history of cancer.

• Too-Ticky
    Too-Ticky Member Posts: 19
    Options

I'm 46, not yet menopausal, and just diagnosed with invasive lobular breast cancer

• flashlight
    flashlight Member Posts: 311
    Options

I was told the same thing only for IDC. I am an old lady worried about her children. When my sister was diagnosed a year later with BC I was finally able to get tested. My MO said I didn't need a Gyn exam either, but I went anyway. Also, said I didn't have to worry about ovarian cancer because I was too old without a family history! Needless to say I have a new MO!

• GermanshepherdsR4me
    GermanshepherdsR4me Member Posts: 9
    Options

I am 48 and premenopausal.

• katyblu
    katyblu Member Posts: 214
    Options

I was diagnosed at 36 with ILC, stage IIIa 2 months before my 37th birthday. I was then diagnosed at 41 with stage IV ILC, metastasized to my bones.

• DaughterOfBarb
    DaughterOfBarb Member Posts: 29
    Options

My mother was 57 and post menopausal when she was diagnosed with ILC. I don’t recall her stage at diagnosis, but it was at least IIB. Her’s wasnot detected in her annual mammograms. I was 46 and premenopausal at diagnosis. Was not detected in my annual mammograms, but because I have family history, dense breasts and had implants from augmentation years prior, my annual screenings also included ultrasound, which is how it was detected. Seems like ultrasound should be the norm.

• momof2winsplus
    momof2winsplus Member Posts: 18
    Options

I was 43 at diagnosis.

• lalbo
    lalbo Member Posts: 68
    Options

I was 55 at diagnosis.

• BevJen
    BevJen Member Posts: 2,341
    Options

I was 51.

• NayRiggs
    NayRiggs Member Posts: 1
    Options

I'm the same age, same diagnosis. I called my nieces when I was diagnosed and told them their risk just went up. My one niece just had a biopsy on a growth yesterday. We don't know yet, but I'm very thankful I called. Old lady cancer or not, it's better to check and know than to not.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,966
    Options

NayRiggs, we welcome you here, and appreciate you sharing your experience. We hope that your niece is okay.

• dclancy64
    dclancy64 Member Posts: 4
    Options

I was 57 and premenopausal at diagnosis.

• ladygwendolyn
    ladygwendolyn Member Posts: 5
    Options

I think you might find trend…. I was diagnosed with ILC at 59. (June 2021). My paternal aunt was diagnosed with ILC at 69.

In hindsight, I wish there was a test I could have taken before I started HRT… to see if I genetically had a predisposition for BC, based on my aunt’s experience. At the time , my GP dismissed the risk as vanishingly low…Well, I gambled on HRT and lost (my aunt also thinks HRT triggered her BC).

Now my MO suggests a 6 week break from Arimidex… then start Aromasin. I thought about it, but after losing the stats gamble on HRT, I’m very loathe to do anything that might increase my risk of recurrence. So I soldier on with aches/pains/trigger fingers/diarrhoea/brain fog/absolutely no way re:sex (ow), weight gain…

Signed: Counting down the 3 yrs, 10mos and 6 days till I FINISH on AI

• blums8
    blums8 Member Posts: 18
    Options

I too was on HRT for I think more than 10 years. Diagnosed at the age of 65 with ILC and triple negative/and positive to boot!!

I do not carry the BRCA gene and no familial history of BC. Sure seems like it could be the HRT.

This has not been a fun year!

• kbl
    kbl Member Posts: 2,695
    Options

It’s really hard to say. I was never on HRT and have cancer in all my bone, bone marrow, and stomach. I’m sorry for what you’re going through. I also had no genetics, and my brother ended up with ductal. This is a very strange disease and hard to follow when it’s lobular.

• lillyishere
    lillyishere Member Posts: 770
    Options

I never had HRT and breast cancer doesn't run in my family. Also, all 84 genes are negative for BC and here I am. When my doctor suggested only lumpectomy because I didn't have a genetic predisposition, I told her that probably the science hasn't caught up with the real life and if my breast produced cancer once, can do it again.

• tweedle
    tweedle Member Posts: 17
    Options

64, hysterectomy, no HRT ever

• kjm90
    kjm90 Member Posts: 2
    Options

Diagnosed at 51 -didn’t think that was an old lady! I had just had a full hysterectomy a few months before and started HRT. Found the cancer myself 3 months after the hysterectomy and was stage 3 at time of mastectomy. No family history of breast cancer and no genetic markers. I am 100% sure the HRT blew up the cancer.

• weninwi
    weninwi Member Posts: 748
    Options

Diagnosed ILC stage 1A at age 67; diagnosed with mets 3 years later age 70. No BRCA mutation. My mother and maternal grandmother both had breast cancer post menopause, of unknown type, but both survived many years after treatment. I had the additional risk of not having children (was unable). I went into menopause early (was done by age 45) so I took HRT for 3 years, a compounded product. The breast surgeon I saw in my younger years to drain cysts had concerns about HRT, and said no more than 3 years. Post menopause in my 50s, I used the E-string and estrogen cream for vaginal and urinary issues and my Primary MD said not to worry about any cancer risk. I think HRT was a factor.

• tammy9
    tammy9 Member Posts: 3
    edited June 2023
    Options

I was diagnosed at 49 years (last week). I thought that I was fit and well, and working fulltime as a school teacher, exercising regularly, eating well, no alcohol, no drugs or smoking. WHY DID I BOTHER!!!!

I got the dx of ILC, DCIS and LCIS in my left breast - stage 11B, grade 2.