Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

ILC - Old Lady Cancer?

Options

Comments

• trvler
    trvler Member Posts: 931
    Options

Sounds like she goes to my oncologist. How's she doing?

• bc101
    bc101 Member Posts: 923
    Options

Interesting articles as it seems so seldom that anyone studies ILC based on the need for treating it differently than other types. Sounds like they have discovered that there is a specific gene that causes ILC. Keep demanding newer and better genetic testing, ladies!

http://www.onclive.com/publications/Oncology-live/...

http://www.oncologynurseadvisor.com/web-exclusives/first-genetic-link-discovered-to-difficult-to-diagnose-breast-cancer-subtype/article/346504/

• Girl53
    Girl53 Member Posts: 41
    Options

MsPharoah you still there? I am new here; was just diagnosed with 2 mm stage one ILC. Mine also discovered by chance due to clustered microcalcs on mammo. Is this unusual...ILC normally not associated with microcalcs? Should I ask my BS if this has probably been growing for years? Didn't even think of that.

• MsPharoah
    MsPharoah Member Posts: 224
    Options

Hi Girl...yes I am still here! My breast surgeon told me that it was lucky that they found the ILC cancer and that it had been growing for 7-10 years. My biopsy removed 6 MM of cancer and final lumpectomy reaped another 4MM.. ILC is not normally associated with suspicious microcalcs and that normally if that is the mammographic finding, the result could be DCIS. I don't have DCIS, but they found extensive LCIS.

Before you make your surgical decision, ask for an MRI. Your initIal reaction (if you are like me), is let's just get rid of the boobs, but before you make such a drastic decision, get more information via the MRI. I'm glad I did.

Good luck and PM me anytime you need anything.

MsP

• Keys-Plez
    Keys-Plez Member Posts: 190
    Options

I was dx with ILC in April 2015 at 59-post meno. It was found by digital mammogram. They saw the microcalcifications not the tumor. I believe there was some DCIS in there too. The BS and RO said I was lucky the radiologist detected it.

Maybe that's why my MO didn't order an on type test or chemo. Sounds like from reading these boards, that doesn't work well for ILC?

I've been in this club for six months now and still don't understand it.

• Chloesmom
    Chloesmom Member Posts: 626
    Options

my MO ordered oncotype with my ILC. Not sure what the question is about that? The surgeon didn't send for the test and thought I didn't need it as the tumor was smallbut the MO requested it a month later and that was what determined my need for chemo

614 Member Posts: 398
    Options

I was diagnosed at age 49 but I was pre-menopausal with absolutely no peri-menopausal symptoms at all at the time of my diagnosis last summer.  I ended up being diagnosed with pleomorphic ILC, pleomorphic LCIS, and invasive tubular carcinoma.  I had a double lumpectomy and radiation.  I had an oophorectomy so that I could be medically induced into menopause so that I could take aromatase inhibitors rather than tamoxifen.  I am taking Arimidex/Anastrazole.  No side effects.

I was very lucky because a lump that had previously been biopsied a few years ago changed and that is how my ILC and LCIS were discovered.  My BS said that the malignancies grew in the lump rather than the lump changing from benign to malignant. The change in the lump saved my life because my ILC was discovered.  I doubt that it would have been detected otherwise.  Lobular is sneaky and hard to detect.  My RO saved my life and my cancer was detected early.

My second lump had also previously been biopsied and came back benign years ago as well.  Because this lump was so large and it was palpable, my gynecologist insisted that I have a mammogram.  He is really the doctor who saved my life.  My previous mammo and sono occurred 4 months prior to my visit with my gynocologist and I was told that I was fine and that I should return in 1 year for my next mammo and sono. When my gynocologist insisted that I go for another mammogram and sonogram, I didn't think that it was important because this lump had already been biopsied and my mammo and sono came back with negative, clear results, 4 months prior.  Thank God that I listened to my gynocologist and had another mammo and sono at his recomendation.  That is really why my bc was discovered.  After my MRI, I was told to have this lump biopsied as well.  The biopsy showed that this lump was benign for a second time.

I had a double lumpectomy because I didn't want to continue to feel the palpable lump.  Both lumps were in the same breast so it was easy to have a double lumpectomy.  After my surgery, the lump that was considered to be benign came back as having pleomorphic LCIS and invasive tubular carcinoma in the lump.  The other lump that had the malignant ILC and LCIS came back as being pleomorphic for both the ILC and the LCIS.

I was extraordinarily lucky that I was diagnosed and that I had both lumps removed.  I was premenopausal so I don't think that I am an old lady. 

Good luck to everyone here.

• hugz4u
    hugz4u Member Posts: 1,818
    Options
    Age 45 but because my lump was hockey puck size they figure I was 35 when it first started. That was 11 years ago and I am still here, yeah!
  • jlw1964
    jlw1964 Member Posts: 1
    Options

51 and post menopausal. I am not an old lady and neither are you Winking

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,966
    Options

Dear jlw1964, Welcome to the community. We appreciate your post and hope that you will stay connected here. The Mods

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,879
    Options

Many here have donated . Thank you !........Wandering around and cheerleading again :)

Donate today, make a difference directly in all our lives. By supporting BCO, we support each other. Thanks and Hugs :)

https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/110/topic/834331?page=1

Link to the mainboard donation page

https://secure3.convio.net/bco/site/Donation2?df_i...

• England59
    England59 Member Posts: 2
    Options

I'm one of the old ladies I guess ... Dx 2 months after 59 birthday ... Certainly don't look or act like an old lady .... But feel like one now :)

614 Member Posts: 398
    Options

Dear England:

You are not old!

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,966
    Options

England59-

Welcome to BCO! We hope you find this to be a supportive place! You've come to the right place for support amongst women who know what you're going through.

The Mods

• Bird24
    Bird24 Member Posts: 1
    Options

I was 42 Pre-menopausal

• YearoftheHat
    YearoftheHat Member Posts: 66
    Options

I was 40 and premenopausal

• JohnSmith
    JohnSmith Member Posts: 61
    Options

@YearoftheHat. Congrats on the 7 years! It's a breath of fresh air to see inactive members come back to say Hello. It's also encouraging for the minority of ILC women who were young (preM) at diagnosis. Thank you!

• JerseyGirl22
    JerseyGirl22 Member Posts: 186
    Options

I am 47 and diagnosed ILC with pleomorphic variant. Story... had a cyst for 20 years, never a problem. Clear mammos and then within a few months of having a 5 year IUD removed, the tumor was palpable and I had to insist on a diagnostic mammo and US because gyne kept saying it was just my body adjusting to the IUD being removed. Between Nov. 21st 2014 and May 29th, 2014, went from a nickel sized cyst to a 6.7cm aggressive tumor. Thank God I went wth my gut and insisted on testing.

I've had neoadjuvant chemo, BMX and will start rads Jan. 18th... finish Herceptin for a year in summer...

I don't think ILC is an "Old Lady" cancer at all, and I really want to see what Univ. of Pitt does with the new studies specifically for ILC...

• mary625
    mary625 Member Posts: 154
    Options
    JerseyGirl--i had the IUD too.
  • stellamaris
    stellamaris Member Posts: 313
    Options
    Hi - I was diagnosed in Oct at 65, but I ain't no 'old lady' - just ask my 51 year old boyfriend lol
  • Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845
    Options

Stellamaris, you may not be an old lady, but obviously a bad, bad girl ;)

• fizzdon52
    fizzdon52 Member Posts: 382
    Options

Don't know about bad, but certainly lucky!!! :)

• sgreenarch
    sgreenarch Member Posts: 253
    Options

HI, All: I was 49 and premenopausal at dx. Nice to say that it has been 5.5 years. Jersey Girl, it was nice to see your quote. That first chapter of the book of Joshua, of all things, gave me such strength whenever I needed it. If Joshua could be afraid and need some bucking up, then well, so could I :) Carried me through a lot of rough patches. And Stellamaris, good for you!

• stellamaris
    stellamaris Member Posts: 313
    Options
    Momine and Fizzdon52: Absolutely on both counts - so glad now that I decided to take the plunge with a younger man - AND he does all the cooking and clean up! Take that CANCER! :)
  • MFalabella
    MFalabella Member Posts: 105
    Options

Diagnosed on April 3rd, 44 years old pre menopause

• Mm68
    Mm68 Member Posts: 36
    Options

I was diagnosed in November 2014 and was 47 and premenopausal. Mine was also plemorphic

• Dawn41
    Dawn41 Member Posts: 17
    Options

Was diagnosed March 15th I am 41 years old. decided on lumpectomy since genetics all came back normal underwent that last week while surgery itself was successful two more spots were removed that have came back as cancer as well, going to speek to the plastic surgeon Monday about reconstruction after mastectomy. It is scary to learn how much can be hiding after all the mamo's , us's, and MRI's I have had in the last month in a half.

• Momof6littles
    Momof6littles Member Posts: 7
    Options

Cincinnatimom, I'm sorry to hear about your diagnosis and change in surgery now. I'm curious. How did they find the two other spots? It is frightening how imaging can miss things

• Dawn41
    Dawn41 Member Posts: 17
    Options

Hello momof6littles, the one area they were concerned about after MRI but after a further ultrasound ruled it out, my doctor decided she was going to remove be it while she was in there and low and behold after clearing margins she discovered something else that did not look right and removed it to have biopsied and it also turned out to be ILC. Unfortunately I have other areas lighting up just like the one spot on the other breast and that is why I m going to go with the bmx. I have an12 and 9 year at home and 22 year old daughter that has a 4 month old that I want to be here for. I cant keep living in fear that something else could be hiding that has been a the scariest thing.

• Momof6littles
    Momof6littles Member Posts: 7
    Options

I have an area that lit up on MRI, but was also ruled out with follow up ultrasound. I'm waiting for my second opinion appointment.

You are right. The fear that is generated because you know that imaging has missed something is very difficult to live with. I wish you the best as you continue on this journey and enjoy the time with your family.