Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Looking for Her2 Positive survivor stories

Options

Comments

• mcbaker
    mcbaker Member Posts: 1,803
    edited July 2021
    Options

No, the DCIS had invaded, essentially, the whole breast. This was based on the initial biopsy and MRI.

Upon surgery, they found invasive cancer, but it was only .7 cm. DCIS often turns into HER2+. Surgeon was not surprised.

• l_brain
    l_brain Member Posts: 40
    edited July 2021
    Options

I am 4 1/2 years out from initial diagnosis (DCIS with invasive) and treatment . Recently diagnosed with DCIS again in the same breast. Had a single mastectomy. Final diagnosis was DCIS only that surgery cured. Although the cancer did return it was caught early and I hope that is encouraging to others. I am very grateful to not have to go through chemo and radiation this time around.

• l_brain
    l_brain Member Posts: 40
    edited July 2021
    Options

I am 4 1/2 years out from initial diagnosis (DCIS with invasive) and treatment . Recently diagnosed with DCIS again in the same breast. Had a single mastectomy. Final diagnosis was DCIS only that surgery cured. Although the cancer did return it was caught early and I hope that is encouraging to others. I am very grateful to not have to go through chemo and radiation this time around.

• kimm992
    kimm992 Member Posts: 28
    edited July 2021
    Options

Just wanted to pop in to say that I celebrated 5 years in June! Was diagnosed October 2015 (so almost 6 years out from diagnosis).

I remember how scary it was at the time and how much hope it gave me when I came here to read survivor posts.

You can do this!!

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,226
    edited July 2021
    Options

kimm - congrats! That is awesome!

• aram
    aram Member Posts: 320
    edited July 2021
    Options

Kimm, thanks for letting us know. It is very encouraging to hear long term stories. Congrats on 5 years!

• VioletKali
    VioletKali Member Posts: 97
    edited July 2021
    Options

I am a 7 year survivor! Here is my story..

June 19th 2014 I was DX with a 1.7cm Triple positive breast CA.

I chose a bilateral MX and requested to keep my nipples, despite them being breast tissue. I chose this because I refuse to do radiation because it was on my L side directly near my heart. Nope..Also, RADS would affect my cosmetic outcome and I am vain.

Was supposed to do 6 rounds of TCH, but I quit at the 4th round. Continued Herceptin for 5 more months until the fatigue from lowering LVEF lessened my quality of life..It wasn't too low, but low enough for side effects.

I tried OS plus an AI, but my quality of life was no good. Tamoxifen was a no go because I had been on prozac for over a decade and my mental health is everything to me.

I declined hormonal therapy.

I do not see an Oncologist, my family doctor orders yearly breast MRI's and offers me anything needed. I see no point in seeing an Oncologist when I do not need their service.

I am FANTASTIC. After quitting chemotherapy, getting the hormone therapy out of my system, and focusing on feeling better, I am 99% of what I was pre cancer.

It took 4 years to feel 80%, and I am just now feeling 99%.

So far I have seen women that DID EVERYTHING I did not do have recurrences, so I personally believe that doing everything is a crap shoot. If my cancer wants to recur it will, regardless of what I do. I am dedicated to living well.

I did not follow the regular path, but the path I have followed has given me so many GOOD years that I wouldn't change anything.

I do take DIM supplement, as well as Cinnamon.

Life is good..I am still ALIVE.

• mcbaker
    mcbaker Member Posts: 1,803
    edited July 2021
    Options

Violet, Impressive story. Glad you have done so well.

• denise-g
    denise-g Member Posts: 353
    edited July 2021
    Options

Just had my 10-year post cancer checkup. Triple positive, 6 cm tumor, 9 positive nodes, and had to quit Herceptin after 3 months because of heart issues. I did not think I had a chance.

My oncologist told me that even though I had three months of herceptin, God knew what I needed and he believed it was enough. Literally, I repeated that every single day of my life to this point and believed it.e

Here I am 10 years later, I still have the heart issues, but I'm doing well. I have been on anastrozole for 9 years and no longer have any side effects.

My oncologist and I had a long talk this week. It was good to celebrate 10 years.

It always shocks me how when I get to the Cancer center how those flood of memories come back in a rush. Things I thought I forgot are front and center in my brain.

There is hope! Don't give up!

• aram
    edited July 2021
    Options

Denise-G, congratulations on 10 year being cancer free, and thank you for posting here. It is very heartwarming to see others that have gone through this path so many years ago and are doing great!

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,226
    edited July 2021
    Options

deniseg - welcome to the 10 year club!

• racheldog
    racheldog Member Posts: 209
    edited September 2021
    Options

VioletKali: Have not seen you post in a while but may I ask you about DIM? Where are you getting this supplement? What brand? Do you know how long you can stay on that and have you had any side effects?

Also, you mentioned Cinnamon. Capsules? Or just use the powder on your food?

AI's are the next step for me and I am dreading them.

• purple32
    purple32 Member Posts: 1,767
    edited October 2021
    Options

I

• racheldog
    racheldog Member Posts: 209
    edited October 2021
    Options

Denise, great story and great for you. Did you stay on the aromatase inhibitor? How many years?

• tessu
    tessu Member Posts: 1,294
    edited October 2021
    Options

6- year survivor here.

Found a lump summer 2015, had mastectomy and axillary nodes removed, then 6 rounds of chemo, then about a year of Herceptin. Still taking letrozole, although doc said I could quit after 5 yrs. Had a scare from a fast-growing cystic mass on one ovary just before last Christmas (don't ignore stomach pain that doesn't go away!). I got that out last January (both ovaries and tubes) and pathology showed no cancer, just the same kind of cyst I used to get often before menopause, but super-sized and like a bunch of grapes. Then about a month ago, there was an abnormality on my 6-yr check-up ultrasound on my remaining breast; mammogram was clear. Luckily the 6 needle biopsies from the weird area all came back NO CANCER. I have had so many recurrance/other cancer scares over the years, was ready to break down over the latest breast lump, but glad I didn't have to. Doc said I could actually wait 2 yrs before another check-up - but I'll be back next year, just to be sure :)

So yes despite aggressive initial pathology, I'm still here, and very grateful for the support I've received on these pages :)

• gretchenbuddy
    gretchenbuddy Member Posts: 5
    edited October 2021
    Options

Tessu, congratulations. Thanks for sharing!

• canadaliz
    canadaliz Member Posts: 11
    edited October 2021
    Options

Hi Sisters,

My name is Liz, I work in a nursing home, and am writing on behalf of one of our residents who asked me to post. I wasn't Her2+ but Ardith was. She is now 76 and was diagnosed with MS at age 16. In 2005 she was diagnosed with triple + BC and it was in 4 axillary lymph nodes. She underwent chemo then took Herceptin. She wanted me to post on her behalf to say that life is good. She is in great shape (save for the debilitating effects of MS) and loves every single day. She wanted me to pen that she wishes you all the strength and confidence in the world and to remind you that we are sisters with an experience in common and, as such, are never alone in our journey through breast cancer.

We are stronger and more fierce than the storm, more determined than the winds and more powerful than the waves.

• aram
    edited October 2021
    Options

Thank you Candaliz! It is really encouraging to hear her story!

• Pipandor
    Pipandor Member Posts: 130
    edited October 2021
    Options

Thank you Liz for posting on her behalf. Her message is full of hope and yet another reminder of the quiet strength of women facing illness.

• AlwaysMeC
    AlwaysMeC Member Posts: 107
    edited October 2021
    Options

Thank you Liz and Ardith for coming on here and letting us know that we can look forward to the future. These updates make me cry happy tears. I wish you both the best.

• angieb92
    angieb92 Member Posts: 291
    edited October 2021
    Options

Liz and Ardith - thank you so much for sharing!

• margun
    margun Member Posts: 385
    edited October 2021
    Options

Liz and Ardith. Thank you for sharing

• deniseml
    deniseml Member Posts: 68
    edited October 2021
    Options

canadaliz: God bless both of you for this inspirational post! Thanking you from the bottom of my heart as I embark on my own survivor quest!

• LizA17
    LizA17 Member Posts: 102
    edited November 2021
    Options

I am 9 yrs out since diagnosis. Doing good!

• dutchiegirl
    dutchiegirl Member Posts: 76
    edited November 2021
    Options

Today is my three year “cancer-versary”! I’m doing really well and am now at the point where my mind doesn’t jump to cancer when I have an ache or a pain. I remind myself that I am getting older (which, in itself is a gift!) and so I’m going to get older people conditions. My life is really good too. I’m working, I’ve joined a dragonboat team, I’m in good shape (finally!) and I have two beautiful granddaughters to keep me young. Those were some dark days in the beginning and, without going in to detail, there were mistakes made. But I’m here and I now try to enjoy each day as it comes. It took a lot of therapy and some meds to get me here but I’m hoping for many more years. Her2+ feels scary as does HR-. But it can be done! Best of luck to those who are just starting this journey. It does get better!

• pchyen
    pchyen Member Posts: 96
    edited November 2021
    Options

Hi Lori-Anne, congrats!

• flower68
    flower68 Member Posts: 114
    edited November 2021
    Options

Hello ladies

Just like tessu was diagnosed in August 2015 and we started our chemo September 2015. Six years survivor, still here, still NED and now I am having regular yearly mammograms like the general population.

Hugs and more hugs to all

Flower68

• Blessedwoman
    Blessedwoman Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2021
    Options

HeartLove to each person on the journey to the Herceptin finish line. Hang in there!

Diagnosis-metastatic Hertu positive on October 5, 2005 as per analysis of fine needle aspiration of lump under arm followed by analysis of core needle sampling.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,055
    edited November 2021
    Options

Welcome, Blessedwoman! We're so glad you've joined us and hope this community can be a source of support for you!

The Mods

• Dollieg214
    Dollieg214 Member Posts: 2
    edited November 2021
    Options

Verysweet of you to post! Thank you :)