Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Prolia Shots for Increasing Osteopenia

Options

Comments

• butterfly1234
    butterfly1234 Member Posts: 2,038
    Options

Jazzygirl-Thanks a bunch. All useful and helpful information!

• jazzygirl
    jazzygirl Member Posts: 11,930
    Options

Glad to help Butterfly! Keep us posted on how you are doing if you like!

• butterfly1234
    Options

I will definitely keep you updated. First rad done today yeah! Gentle hug

• jazzygirl
    Options

Butterfly- glad you got through the first round of rads. Gentle hugs to you too!

• butterfly1234
    Options

Checking in - half way through rads and it's going well. Will start Arimidex in early May and my first Prolia injection in June after routine dental exam and cleaning, Sending good thoughts to all!

• jazzygirl
    Options

Butterfly- half way through rads, you go sister! Glad you have your plans for the AIS and also for Prolia next. You are doing great, keep it going and we are always glad to hear from you here!

• butterfly1234
    Options

Love right back at ya!!

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,085
    Options

Below is a link for a new study about BC treatment and osteoporosis. Interesting.

New guidance for management of aromatase-inhibitor related bone loss in breast cancer April 25, 2017

Read more at: https://medicalxpress.com/news/2017-04-guidance-ar...

• jazzygirl
    Options

MinusTwo- that is some good information to see documented. I always thought the risk might be higher, I saw my bone health really tank the first year on the drugs and pushed on my providers for the shot. I know I have shared before my mother had osteoporosis and ended up with a broken hip and leg in her 70s. So I know where that goes.

Some women have problems getting the Prolia shot approved (not been an issue for me with either insurance company I have been with during my time on the Prolia).

Thank you for sharing this!

• butterfly1234
    Options

Touching base to let you know my first Prolia injection went well today. The needle doesn't hurt at all. Feeling fine. Love to all

• jazzygirl
    Options

Hi Butterfly- good to hear. You may be a bit achey the next few days so do try to take it easy. It will pass.

• butterfly1234
    Options

Thanks Jazzy for the heads up. Stay well,

• claireinaz
    claireinaz Member Posts: 679
    Options

Just in case anyone is looking for info on side effects from Prolia--I had none. Not even one so far, and my shot was back in Feb.

• minustwo
    Options

Claire - I didn't have any side effects either and I've had 3 shots so far.

• butterfly1234
    Options

it's been just about 24 hours and I'm feeling fine.

• jazzygirl
    Options

Butterfly- good to hear! I had more aches and pains in the beginning. Gotten four shots so far and now only achey for one day.

• kathy1925
    kathy1925 Member Posts: 6
    Options

I just had my fourth Prolia shot, and thankfully, no side effects at all. Hoping for good results from my dexa scan next month!

• jazzygirl
    Options

Kathy- good luck on the next scan and let us know how you are doing? I have my next Prolia shot end of July and get my bone scan end of the year. I will find out this next visit when I will be finishing my Prolia shots as well as I come off the AI drugs next March.

• flbuckeye93
    flbuckeye93 Member Posts: 27
    Options

How long can someone get Prolia shots? My MO told me I could only have a few. I get number three next month.

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,226
    Options

FLBuckeye - I have been on Prolia since Feb. of 2012, no issues, my MO will leave me on it for as long as I take an AI - I am in year 6 now. I have had a net gain in density of 29% over the course of treatment - the highest of any of his patients, and I had pre-existing, but stable, osteopenia prior to diagnosis with breast cancer. Here is some study data about long term denosumab use:

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/landia/article/PIIS2213-8587(17)30138-9/abstract

• muska
    muska Member Posts: 224
    Options

My MO initially suggested two years on Prolia but when I saw her last time she mentioned I might stay on it longer.

Question to those of you who get Prolia: do you administer it yourself or go to the clinic for the shot? My third shot is coming up and I am thinking to do it myself (I get the drug delivered to my home.)

• jazzygirl
    Options

Good afternoon friends- to answer a few questions here, my MO said he would keep me on Prolia as long as I am on the AIs. I have had 2.5 years on Prolia so far, sixth shot coming up next month. I am on the 5 year plan with the AIs, and will be done next March and expect to have a shot in Jan, but need to ask about whether I will get another in July too? He told me once the AIs are finished, they likely won't pay further. I am having my next dexa scan end of the year but the one after the first year showed market improvement. I was slightly osteopenic going in to this. My next six month follow ups will be starting in a few more weeks.

Muska- I have my Prolia shot done while I am in for my follow up with the MO and the cancer center. I pay for a co-pay for that visit anyways, and then the nurse gives me the shot after. If I were to do it seperately, I would have two office co-pays.

I do shot for blood sugar issues once a week (Trulicity) and probably could do it myself, but prefer them to do it. I did not realize it was something you could do at home?

• specialk
    Options

My Prolia usually coincides with a MO visit or labs, so I only pay one co-pay as well, and I have it done at my center as it is ordered and administered by my oncologist. My bone density scans are also ordered and monitored by my oncologist - I no longer see a Gyn doc as I have had a BMX and had a complete hyst/ooph nine years brior to breast cancer, and stopped pap smears on the advice of the Women's Health NP at the 11 year point (two years after breast cancer) after that surgery as I have never had an abnormal one. My center has a dedicated injection room for those who are getting Prolia, Neulasta, or other injectable, but I don't know about others who may have Prolia ordered by an endocrinology doc, or primary care doc.

• muska
    Options

Yeah, apparently one can do it at home. My Prolia schedule doesn't coincide with the checkups, so I will try doing it myself next time. I already checked with the insurance and they don't mind, my MO doesn't mind either.

I get it delivered overnight to my home and it comes in a syringe ready for self-administration.

• minustwo
    Options

muska - double check the insurance. If you get the shot at your MO or Gyn, it is part of clinical patient treatment. I was told if you get it at home, it comes under 'drug' insurance instead of your standard policy.

I will get two years of shots every 6 months & then we will re-evaluate. I am not on Als, but the chemo tanked my numbers

• muska
    Options
    Mine is covered by Pharmacy benefit and I order it the same way I would order any other refill. The hospital where I am treated can give it but they charge facility fee, clinic fee and also usually require to check phophorus and magnesium levels before the injection. All that adds to the cost not to speak about time spent on booking the appointments and going there.
  • minustwo
    Options

Good for you Muska. My GYN requires blood work to include Vitimin D before she will give me the shot. I have to go in for the blood work every 6 months for the MO anyway, we just add Vit D.

• dpako
    dpako Member Posts: 35
    Options

Hi MinusTwo,

Just wondering why you chose Prolia shots rather than the pills to strengthen bones? I read somewhere that the only way you choose Prolia is if pills like Boniva, etc. don't work

• dpako
    dpako Member Posts: 35
    Options

Hi SpecialK,

Just wondering why you chose Prolia shots rather than the pills to strengthen bones? I read somewhere that the only way you choose Prolia is if pills like Boniva, etc. don't work.

• specialk
    Options

dpako - two reasons - I had reflux surgery in 1995, and I can't tolerate the oral meds. You are required to remain upright for 30 minutes after taking the oral meds and I experienced rather intense burning down the entire esophagus. At the time I tried these drugs military hospitals did not use Reclast, annual IV based bisphosphonate. Since the type of surgery I had has already compromised my GI system (Nissen fundoplication - uses part of the stomach to make a "belt" closure to the GE junction) I didn't want to risk irritation by taking the oral meds. I tried both Actonel and Boniva long before I was diagnosed with breast cancer as I initially had osteopenia resulting from a total hyst/ooph pre-menopausally at 45 for numerous uterine fibroids and a pre-malignant ovarian mass. I had relatively stable bone density until I was treated for breast cancer - after chemo, and 6 months into anti-hormonals, I experienced a pretty dramatic loss of density - and I know this specifically because my DEXA was done the same day as my mammo/Us that led to BC diagnosis. Secondly, study data suggests that Prolia is superior to bisphosphonate drugs, and if I am not mistaken, there is less fracture because of the mechanism by which Prolia works - leaving the bones less inelastic and subject to spontaneous break.