Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

Ibrance (Palbociclib)

Comments

• steelrose
    steelrose Member Posts: 318
    edited December 2015

Artist, I got a second opinion before I started chemo over the summer, and I continue to cross check everything with her before a treatment change. I kept my original oncologist but I feel much more secure with a second set of eyes on things. Good luck to you!

Happy Holidays to all the Ibrance ladies, and a wish for more Ibrance success stories in the New Year…

Rose.

• Kaption
    Kaption Member Posts: 2,934
    edited December 2015

There is an interesting discussion going on between my MO and RO. The lesion in my T10 has increased and is likely to be my next source of significant pain. My MO thinks it might be a good idea to be proactive and radiate before the pain begins because historically when my bone pain sets in, it spikes quickly and severely, putting me in the ER and spending a few days in the hospital. My RO is not in such a hurry to act. Anyone have experience with this??

No decisions have been made on my continuing on Ibrance. But, it is likely I may stay on it 3 more months. Remained mostly steady on it the past 3 months except for the pain issues. Confusing time for me and my onc!
  • artistatheart
    artistatheart Member Posts: 1,437
    edited December 2015

Sarah and rose, thanks for the input. i actually had a phone conversation with her and explained how much she upset me by making me feel like she did not value my research and input. She did apologize but suggested that I was free to change to someone else. I told her I did not want to jump ship too quickly but wanted to feel like a partner in this. so I am going to see how it goes next time around and get a feel for her attitude. I think after the Holidays i am still going to make an appointment with someone else and get a backup going just in case.

• susan_02143
    susan_02143 Member Posts: 2,394
    edited December 2015

Just a small follow up. Had a long day at my new hospital yesterday, much of it spent with a research nurse who was bright as can be! She helped with the Ibrance trials and was talking with me about a different one. At some point, she said "May I look at your hands?" And then she looked at my feet. She says that I already have hand-foot syndrome and will need to be very proactive on Xeloda. According to her, only one patient on the Ibrance trial had this side effect while on the Ibrance so it doesn't appear in the literature.

They will run an onco-panel as part of a study to figure out what mutations I might have, but since that takes time, I will start Xeloda right after Christmas and continue on this drug until it fails me.

*susan*

• kaydeesmiles
    kaydeesmiles Member Posts: 201
    edited December 2015

Susan, sorry to hear that the Ibrance didn't work longer but seems like you and your team are super on top of things going forward. I wish you the very best on the next meds. I'm also sad to see that Myra is no longer in Ibranceland but I have faith that she'll also find a new and better path.

I'm doing my monthly pop in just to catch up and to relay that I saw my onc today but because of a glitch at the hospital don't have my numbers yet. Symptoms-wise no big changes as I move into Round 10 of the Ibrance.

I just happened to mention the new immunodrug "Opdivo" to my onc today since I've been seeing all the ads for it. It's for patients with non-small cell lung cancer but my onc says it's possible that Opdivo or "Kaytruda" may be prescribed for some breast cancer patients in the not too distant future. Just thought that was something that all of us may be able to file away and look into if necessary.

I'm really hopeful about immunotherapies and really like the concept of treatments that build up instead of ones that block or tear down.

Happy holidays everyone. I appreciate all of you very much.

• DancingVeggie
    DancingVeggie Member Posts: 47
    edited December 2015

Does anyone know what people commonly move to after trying Ibrance/Femara? I've already done Xeloda. I have only been on this for two cycles, but my liver is so sore and it feels like a half dozen hard-boiled eggs rolling around in there. I don't think it's working

• blainejennifer
    blainejennifer Member Posts: 441
    edited December 2015

DV,

My Onc has picked out Gemzar as my next treatment after Femara/Ibrance. He was really talking it up!

• kaydeesmiles
    kaydeesmiles Member Posts: 201
    edited December 2015

DancingVeg - sometimes people move on to Affinitor/Aromasin I believe. You guys correct me if I'm wrong.

• artistatheart
    edited December 2015

Dancing and kaydee, my Onc says since I failed Letrozole I would probably fail the other two Ai's as well so I am going on Faslodex......My understanding is that Aromasin has a different chemical makeup than Femara or Afinitor but she says since it is bothering my liver enzymes they are out. I feel like 3 Tx's down already. I appreciate you all too!Heart

• DancingVeggie
    DancingVeggie Member Posts: 47
    edited December 2015

I did Gemzar and Carboplatin and they REALLY helped but it made me pancytopenic so I was only able to get it once a month or so. It's not like it failed me -- it just beat my bone marrow up.

I have had zero luck with AIs and I'm 80% ER!

Femara is jacking my liver enzymes up. I'm in so much pain now that I can hardly eat... Hey, at least I'll lose a few pounds?

• CancerSucks2001
    CancerSucks2001 Member Posts: 10
    edited December 2015

just took day 3 of 2nd cycle of Ibrance. Truthfully, I feel just great, except for a few minor SE. I have waves of mild queasiness to moderate nausea every day at different times, so it is hard to treat. Just got Zofran for the nausea, but haven't taken it yet. Sipping on 7up helps so far. One of the other SE is my eyes tearing off and on, sore lips, corner of mouth, an occasional canker sore on my tongue. The last week, I get so tired, I have to sleep right then and it is a couple of hours.

The rest of the time I feel great, bone pain gone, some SOB, but I do have nodules in my lungs now. Can't remember if I said I am also on Fosladex, just finished last week the 3 rd set of loading doses and now just 2 doses a month, none of the SE will make me stop this combination of drugs if they are working.

Femara and Zometa made me have such pain throughout all joints and bones. 5 days after last Femara pill felt like a new person!

Hugs,

Donna from Missouri

• CancerSucks2001
    CancerSucks2001 Member Posts: 10
    edited December 2015

• Sarah0915
    Sarah0915 Member Posts: 81
    edited December 2015

I'm just a little further along in treatment with Ibrance and a year into Faslodex. If you respond like I did at all, some of the symptoms will lessen over time. Hope the treatments go well for you.

• ShetlandPony
    ShetlandPony Member Posts: 3,063
    edited December 2015

DancingVeggie, as Kaydee mentioned, my onc has Aromasin/Afinitor in mind for me next if/when Ibrance + letrozole stop working. But I will be asking about some chemo in between because itmakes sense to me to alternate types of treatment. I'm sure our oncs have to look at our whole history and individualize the plan.

• mimipickle
    mimipickle Member Posts: 160
    edited December 2015

I just read on the https://www.pfizercopayone.com/ in the terms and condition section : 7. Program expires 12/31/2015.

Is this true?

• songsofpraise
    songsofpraise Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2015

I've been on Ibrance/Femara for 5 months with fatigue as only side effect. First month I was neutropenic, but have been okay since then. Best of luck to you!

• dlb823
    dlb823 Member Posts: 2,701
    edited December 2015

Interesting "find," Ellelou. I wonder if the program's been extended, or if they've announced a new program for 2016? Does anyone know? I think my co-pay -- even with great insurance, but before Pfizer's co-pay plan, would have been $60, vs. the $10 I've been paying. Hopefully, they will either extend the existing plan or offer something similar.

• Max_otto
    Max_otto Member Posts: 124
    edited December 2015
    Ellelou, db823'
    Whatever plan you are on with Pfizer, make sure you have applied for 2016. Your MO's office should be able to advise you. You may have to send in all the paperwork you did for 2015 again. Pfizer has started approvals for 2016.
  • mimipickle
    mimipickle Member Posts: 160
    edited December 2015

Max and Deanna, I called my MO and they told me to call Accredo/Express Scripts to check. They are the specialty pharmacy that Fed Exs the med to me. I called them. They have a co-pay department (who knew?) and they assured me that everyone rolled into 2016-good till 12/31/16. My co-pay without that assistance would be $250 so I'm happy to save $240. every month.

ellen

• dlb823
    dlb823 Member Posts: 2,701
    edited December 2015

That's great to know! Thanks. I also get my Ibrance from my insurance company's specialty pharmacy, so will ask them about it when I reorder. Deanna

• artistatheart
    edited December 2015

Good to know ladies, as I will start up with Faslodex/Ibrance today. Need all the financial breaks I can get...

• Hummingbird4
    Hummingbird4 Member Posts: 220
    edited December 2015

artist, good luck! I was on Faslodex with Xtandi for about 8 months and once I experienced the 2 Faslodex injections, I was fine knowing then what to expect. How did you do today

• blainejennifer
    blainejennifer Member Posts: 441
    edited December 2015

I just finished my third cycle of Ibrance/Femara. I've had no blood count trouble, and my TMs have stayed stable (100ish). Even if they go no lower, I'm fine with that. I get a little tired toward towards the end of the cycle, but - compared to my run on Xeloda or Taxol - I am a ball of energy on this stuff.

Onwards!

• artistatheart
    edited December 2015

Hummingbird, thanks for asking! So far it was a piece of cake! My anxiety about the whold day was the worst part. No pain or anything at all so far. Cross my fingers and I'll keep you posted....How are you and your Mom doing? Did you have a nice Christmas?

• babs6287
    babs6287 Member Posts: 1,619
    edited December 2015

Artista

Glad to hear you didn't have any pain!!!!! Keep us posted on how you're feeling! Fingers crossed for no or little SE's

Babs

• Hummingbird4
    edited December 2015

artist, glad to hear you did so well today! I'll cross my fingers too for you, really hoping this works for you for a long time with little or no SE.

Thanks for asking - yes I had a wonderful Christmas! Hectic, but I totally enjoyed the holiday. My Mom is doing fine on an anti hormonal and will be scanned in a month.

I had my scans last week and I read my results on the patient portal. I have had progression, both in the peritoneum (more thickening, caking, ascites, bloating) and bones, and tomorrow is my appointment with my onc to see what the next step will be. I'm fearing, but facing the probability that I am going to have to leave Ibrance and move on to Xeloda. I have already been through the A/A combo and 2 clinical trials before Ibrance, and my onc did say Xeloda would be next for me. I'm not looking forward to that! But, I don't know for sure until she tells me tomorrow - I'm prepared at least. Except for daily headaches with Ibrance which were controlled with Advil, I did very well on it for 6 months and was hoping it would work for me for much longer.

• artistatheart
    edited December 2015

Oh Hummingbird, I'm so sorry to hear that. We all hope for each one to last and last. I hear Xeloda can really kick ass on those mets though, so if that is the next for you I hope it wipes out any progression and more. I got headaches on Ibrance too....We'll be checking on you. Hang in there Hummingbird!

• moissy
    moissy Member Posts: 371
    edited December 2015

Hummingbird - Wishing you well tomorrow for both you and your mom. Glad to hear she is doing well on her meds, and I'm sorry to hear you have had some progression. I so want this to work for all of us. You've given so much good advice on this thread. Even if you do make a move to Xeloda, I hope you will continue to hang out with us here. Heart

• babs6287
    babs6287 Member Posts: 1,619
    edited December 2015

Hummingbird

So sorry Ibrance didn't work for you longer! I'm hoping Xeloda works for you and for a VERY long time!!!

Babs

• Hummingbird4
    edited December 2015

artist, Moissy, babs - Thank You.

Well ladies, it's as I thought. I saw my onc today and I will be moving on to Xeloda beginning tomorrow morning. I had some progression; Ibrance isn't working. I have been dreading chemo all along. Came home just now with my bottle of Xeloda pills. I just have to hope it won't be that bad.

Thank you all for this thread and all the info and support here. I will check here frequently to see how you are doing. Hoping that you have continued success with Ibrance for a long time.

Best Wishes for a Happy New Year!