Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

Ibrance (Palbociclib)

Comments

• moissy
    moissy Member Posts: 371
    edited December 2015

Deanna - Forgot to say glad to hear your good news on the TM's and hope you are done with that sinus infection!

• Lynnwood1960
    Lynnwood1960 Member Posts: 1,107
    edited December 2015

Stephanie, getting ready to start 10th cycle, scans stable. Tumor markers 44.2 down from 203. Hope this treatment works for me for a long time!

• JFL
    JFL Member Posts: 1,373
    edited December 2015

Stefanie, great question about longest run on Ibrance! I am curious too. 6 years for someone in the UCLA trials is amazing. I have been on Ibrance for 6+ months and have experienced a decease in liver tumors and bone healing and am now hovering in the stable range.

Today, my doctor mentioned that my cancer center is involved with trials for a medication to give those who progress on Ibrance. It is an MTor inhibitor, like Afinitor, but seems to work in people who do not respond to Afinitor. I forgot to ask what it was called.

• PattyPeppermint
    PattyPeppermint Member Posts: 8,950
    edited December 2015

deanna. Congrats on lowered tm's. Great news. ! When will you scan again?

• babs6287
    babs6287 Member Posts: 1,619
    edited December 2015

Deanna-glad to hear of the lower TM's

Great New Years gift!!!!!

Babs

• dlb823
    dlb823 Member Posts: 2,701
    edited December 2015

Moissy, I see Dr. Hurvitz @ UCLA. She works with Dennis Slamon and is extremely well-versed on Ibrance -- far more so than my local onc. If you or anyone else wants to capsulize a question or two, I can try to ask her when I'm there on the 11th -- but of course her responses would have to be somewhat general -- not specific to you.

On another thread (the one for Ibrance+Faslodex specifically), someone mentioned something she got from her onc re. dosing based on weight. I haven't looked through my Ibrance hand outs or any other information to see if that comes from Pfizer or just her onc's experience, but it might be something to know about if you're on the small side, especially if the recommendation is actually in Pfizer's literature.

JFL ~ I love hearing of another new drug in the pipeline! We need all the options we can get!!! Very encouraging!!!

Here's to a happy, healthy New Year for all of us! Deanna

• artistatheart
    artistatheart Member Posts: 1,437
    edited January 2016

Wonderful Deanna on the TM's. I am supposed to start the Ibrane back up now with the Faslodex. I am hoping the liver enzymes stay down as this did help with tumor shrinkage and lowered TM's in me as well. Good luck on your appointment!

• moissy
    edited January 2016

Deanna - Thanks for digging up that early clinical trial info. I found it really interesting seeing that they started out comparing 2 weeks on vs. 3 weeks on.

Thanks for your wonderful offer to ask a question on our behalf. If you have time at your upcoming appt, I would love to ask if there have been any actual comparisons looking at effectiveness of using a higher Ibrance dose but then having to take an extra week off to recover each time compared to taking a lower dose and being able to remain on a fairly consistent cycle. Thank you!

Happy New Year everyone!

• Lynnwood1960
    edited January 2016

Moissy, great question! My onc would rather see me stay on 100mg and not miss any doses then raise the dose and have to miss some doses due to low counts. Would be interested to hear what other oncs say

• DancingVeggie
    DancingVeggie Member Posts: 47
    edited January 2016

Moissy, I am really interested in the same question. I have been on two cycles of 125mg and I am 5'2" and 135#. I have had to take an extra week off with Neupogen shots both times. No one seems concerned by my skyrocketing liver enzymes, but I've also been in considerable pain.

Anyone out there take this much?

• dlb823
    edited January 2016

Moissy and DancingVeggie, I will be happy to ask that question for you and all of us.

Also, here's an article I found that says the origin of the research began in 2007. It sounds like the survivor mentioned here is the one I was told has been on Ibrance for 6 years, and they mention another patient who has been on it for 4 years. http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/02/15020...

• 513mgv
    513mgv Member Posts: 54
    edited January 2016

May all of us in ibrance land have a happy and healthy New Year.

Marilyn

• theziz
    theziz Member Posts: 134
    edited January 2016

Happy new year Ibrance ladies;

Is anyone here taking vitamin D and C and another supliments while taking ibrance and letrozole?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Theziz

• Lynnwood1960
    edited January 2016

Theziz, my onc has me taking calcium and vitamin D twice a day, 4 times a day on the day I get my Xgeva shot.

• mdillard04
    mdillard04 Member Posts: 83
    edited January 2016

Happy New Year Ibrance friends!! Glad we made it to 2016!!

Theziz... My Vitamin D levels were sooo low that I had to take a prescription strength once a week for six weeks. I am lactose intolerant, so I wasn't suprised. I will get checked again next week. I take Vitamin C every day. Knock on wood, No colds for me yet. I am one that always gets bronchitis so I have been a bit on the nervous side.

On another note, PET/CT day for me on Monday. This will be the first one since May 2015 when I was intially diagnosed. In September, my onc just did a abdominal MRI to check on the 2 little liver mets, which both decreased by half their size. Praying I start the new year off with some good news! Not really nervous or anxious. Maybe that will change by Sunday. Letrozole is starting to kick my butt. Joint pains are ridiculous!!

Have a great day ladies,

Monika

• ABeautifulSunset
    ABeautifulSunset Member Posts: 600
    edited January 2016

Good luck on Monday, Monika. That's a big day. I hope that PET shows NED. Fingers crossed for you.

Stefanie

• babs6287
    edited January 2016

Monika

Hoping for great results for you on Monday!!!!! Fingers crossed!!!!!

Babs

• kaydeesmiles
    kaydeesmiles Member Posts: 201
    edited January 2016

dancingv, I started off at 125mgbut was shifted to 100mg after a few rounds.

Theziz, I take vitamin c, a lot of it. I aim for 3000mg a day. I take 2000 iu of vitamin d in summer and jack the dose up to 5000 a day in winter.

I'm on round 10 of ibrance. Have had two stable scans but tumor markers have been creeping up lately so we'll see.

Monika, sending good scan vibes your way. Wishing you the very best.

• Lynnwood1960
    edited January 2016

Monika, good luck with your scan!

• theziz
    theziz Member Posts: 134
    edited January 2016

Thanks ladies,

I'm going to discuss that with my MO next week in Deerfield FL. I also have another pet/cat scan.

Good luck Monika.

• mdillard04
    edited January 2016

Thanks ladies! I will keep you posted on the results!!

• PattyPeppermint
    edited January 2016

monika. Good luck

• Blossom40
    Blossom40 Member Posts: 8
    edited January 2016

hey Ibrance ladies

I have had 4 rounds of Ibrance with faslodex injection. My last pet scan 2 weeks ago showed stable scan, no areas of fdg uptake ! My tumor markers have decreased by a total of 184 points! Some joint pain from faslodex but nothing like femara.

• Blossom40
    Blossom40 Member Posts: 8
    edited January 2016

Monica,

Try green lipped mussel for the joint pain. I know sounds weird but it works! It is all natural, cancer center of America recommended it when I was on it.

Angie

• babs6287
    edited January 2016

Blossom

That's great news!!! Happy for you!!

Babs

• kaydeesmiles
    kaydeesmiles Member Posts: 201
    edited January 2016

yes blossom that is terrific! Joining you in celebrating your good news!!

• dlb823
    edited January 2016

Wow, that's quite a drop in TMs, Blossom! Congratulations! So happy for you. And thanks mentioning green lipped mussel. I've never heard of it and had to do a quick search to see that it's a supplement (vs. a topical). Very interesting. I'm going to read up on it. Are you still going to CTA? Deanna

• mdillard04
    edited January 2016

Deanna... Let me know what you find out with regards to the green lipped mussel. Sounds interesting!! Thanks again for the positive vibes ladies.

Monika

• PattyPeppermint
    edited January 2016

blossom. Great news ! Hope you have s long ride with Ibrance

• moissy
    edited January 2016

Monika - Wishing you well on your scans tomorrow.

Blossom - Great news on your TM drop. That's fantastic! Happy New Year!

Dancing Veggie - I was on Ibrance 125, then 100, and now appear to be settled in on 75 for past few cycles. It seems that most oncs are not prescribing Neupogen to allow us to stay on a higher dosage, although a few oncs, like yours, are. I haven't really heard a consensus reason why not other than our counts will usually come back up naturally if allowed to once we're off the Ibrance. Insurance maybe? Or potential side effects from Neupogen without big benefit? Don't know.

Lynnwood - So glad you are having continued success on Ibrance! My onc is of the same mind as yours on having a lower dose more consistently. But I know this does not exactly follow the protocol used in the clinical trials, so I'm very curious if Deanna's UCLA doc might have any additional thoughts from "behind the scenes" where the trials were conducted. Just curious, how often are your TM's tested?

Deanna and Patty - Love your beautiful new pics!