Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

Ibrance (Palbociclib)

Comments

• susan_02143
    susan_02143 Member Posts: 2,394
    edited February 2016

Yes... yes, and yes. Though I am no longer on this drug [it failed me] I had all of those things. I attributed all of these symptoms to Ibrance. I did find that subsequent months were a bit easier. As to my mouth, I did a baking soda/water mouth wash. There are some RX's as well if it gets worse. Other will pipe in with more information.

*susan*

• moissy
    moissy Member Posts: 371
    edited February 2016

Hi Nicci-I had the little nosebleed plus the sore throat on my first cycle of 125 dose. What I didn't know at the time is sore throat can be sign of low white blood count. My neutrophils (ANC or GRAN #) fell to .5 on the first cycle. I was dropped to lower dosage after that and never had those symptoms again. Did they do bloodwork on you mid-cycle to check your levels?

• NicciJ
    NicciJ Member Posts: 73
    edited February 2016

Thx Susan! I will try that. Well Moissy... my bloodwork was done on the 8th day which was on the 22nd and it was fine. I went back this past Fri the 29th but I didn't get the results since I didn't see my onc. I did notice my CA 25-27 from the 22nd was a 51. Not sure that's too great. Thanks for the info. I didn't know that about the sore throat and wbc's!

• ShetlandPony
    ShetlandPony Member Posts: 3,063
    edited February 2016

Zills, I'm sorry you are feeling depressed. All the things you mention might contribute. When I finished Taxol and started on the aromatase inhibitor Aromasin, I became depressed. I don't know if it was the drug, or the transition (facing the idea that I would always be on treatment even though I had finished chemo), or other things in my life that were bugging me--or all three. My doctor had me take two weeks off, then switched me to letrozole. She had been thinking of switching to faslodex, but then Ibrance + letrozole got approved. Now of course there are people on Ibrance + faslodex. I also found support (in-person stage iv group, this discussion board, and a therapist) and fixed the things that were bothering me. So I still can't say for sure what caused the depression, but I felt more myself after making those three changes. If that hadn't worked, I would have taken an anti-depressant. The therapist told me that even if I couldn't switch cancer drugs, she could help me with the depression. Are you thinking of trying a different hormonal therapy with Ibrance? Did you just switch treatments when liver mets were discovered? Do you have the support you need?

• ShetlandPony
    edited February 2016

Hi, NicciJ. I had a little bit of nosebleed and some painful mouth sores when I started Ibrance. The nurse recommended the salt and baking soda rinse to help heal, and the Magic Mouthwash prescription for pain and inflammation. I also got a soft toothbrush and mild children's tooth paste, avoided acidic and spicy foods, and generally babied my mouth. Still do. Mouth sores were a big reason my Ibrance dose got lowered. I hope your tongue feels better soon!

• NicciJ
    edited February 2016

Thank you! This Ibrance is kinda like a chemo drug...right?

• JFL
    JFL Member Posts: 1,373
    edited February 2016

Zills, you should look into Cymbalta. I take it for joint pain but it is also indicated for hot flashes, depression (and even increased energy at higher doses, although not lower doses; the balance of effect from the norepinephrine component is more pronounced at higher doses which gives more energy while the serotonin component is more dominant at lower doses). It doesn't eliminate my hot flashes but they are definitely milder than I have experienced in the past. They are now moderate whereas they were severe

• ShetlandPony
    edited February 2016

Technically it is a targeted therapy, but yeah it's kinda like a chemo drug when you look at some of the side effects.

• jobur
    jobur Member Posts: 494
    edited February 2016

Zills, I am taking a low dose (75mg) of venlafaxine (Effexor) and it has helped with hot flashes. I can't say it's exactly made me happy go lucky, but I do feel more like myself and haven't fallen into that deep dark hole of depression. When I was on Arimidex I was very emotional and very depressed at times. I thought it was "normal" after dx, but in retrospect I think Arimidex was at least partly responsible. It seems like Effexor has se's too though, I've had achy/restless legs. Good luck finding the right AD and please share what works for you. I hear it takes some trial and error to find the right one.

JFL, thanks for the info on Cymbalta. Have you noticed any se's from it?

NicciJ, Welcome! I hope this will be a super effective tx for you. I have also found that the se's from Ibrance are fewer as you get more cycles under your belt so hang in there!

• Zillsnot4me
    Zillsnot4me Member Posts: 2,122
    edited February 2016

NJ I drink lemon water and use a toothpaste for dry mouth. I started to get a sore almost immediately upon taking Ibrance but it never developed. The dentist can give you the magic mouthwash.

On the I/F thread, some nausea in the beginning but very mild. Pepcid works better for my acid. I must eat every few hours. Dairy is not my friend. I take it at breakfast and it needs to be a hearty.

I was hoping to stay longer with just bones. My bones were aug and liver in Jan. Scary stuff. I do have a therapist. Maybe need to see her more regularly. There is a bc support group but it's mainly lower stages and it always ends in nipple discussion. I feel like a Debbie downer. Don't want to scare the newbies.

I tried Effexor before. It really suppressed the hot flashes and me. So can't take it. The hot flashes aren't new but are much more intense on this. Hope they disappaite as I adjust to Femera. It really interrupts my sleep.

Anyone have a strange rash on fingers? It's mainly on the sides. Doesn't itch. Just popped up.

Thanks

• Kaption
    Kaption Member Posts: 2,934
    edited February 2016

Zills,

I've had the weird hand "rash." Not really a rash- but looks like poison ivy bump. Side of one finger, about once a cycle. Itches a little. Weird.

I've been on Ibrance-Femara since last June on the 125 dosage. Fatigue has gotten easier, but had my sorest mouth ever this cycle.

On my way right now to see onc to discuss possible changes. Pain, TM, and scan all up since Novemner- but not conclusive. This week's TM will probably help us divide.

Best wishes to all. You are ALL so helpful, sharing, and caring.

• Zillsnot4me
    edited February 2016

yes Kaption that's it exactly. Reminds me of poison ivy. Sorry about the increases.

• susaninsf
    susaninsf Member Posts: 1,099
    edited February 2016

Hummingbird and Babs,

I am have been on Xeloda for over a year but haunt this thread because I have been told Ibrance+something else will be my next line of treatment. I guess we all dread change and the unknown because I dread the day I will have to go off Xeloda. I found it to be very easy since it is in pill form. I can travel and just bring my pills, no need to schedule things around going to an infusion center. My only noticeable side effect from Xeloda has been hand and foot syndrome (HFS) so I have to take extra special care to keep my hands and feet moisturized and protected. You will learn a lot of tips on that from the people on the Xeloda board. Other than that, I have been able to do all of the things I normally do. I'm a Modern dancer and do a lot of Iyengar yoga. Oh, and the Xeloda has done a great job on my tumors too. There are some women on the board who have been on Xeloda for years without progression. I hope to be able to stay on it for years too.

Hugs, Susan

• singlemom1
    singlemom1 Member Posts: 260
    edited February 2016

I am on Wellbutrin for depression and I have found it helpful for the fatigue

• babs6287
    babs6287 Member Posts: 1,619
    edited February 2016

SusaninSF-you're right-everyone on the Xeloda board has been most helpful! I'm finding it easy. I do have the HFS going on but it's not bad and I also have some mild nausea. But since my TMs are down I can deal.

Babs

• masonsmawmaw
    masonsmawmaw Member Posts: 119
    edited February 2016

Shetland-I am 100% confident that the Ibrance and/or Faslodex are the source of my eye issues. I am always on the computer...that's my job...so there has really been no change there. I was tear-free all of the past week or so, but I've just taken pill number 5 of my 5th cycle and the eyes are cranking up again already! Not much use in wearing eye makeup...I have rubbed it off within 30 minutes :)

• Kaption
    edited February 2016

Had my monthly onc appointment with blood work. After a rough couple of months (pain, rising tumor marker and small uptake in the December scan) all seems stable for the moment!! Next scan is mid March. But for now, stable is good. I'll continue on the Ibrance-Femara

Yay stable!!

• Zillsnot4me
    edited February 2016

Yippee Kaption. So glad to hear that

• momallthetime
    momallthetime Member Posts: 1,375
    edited February 2016

Kaption so glad for you!

OK - so BT results are back- we are waiting for Onco's directions. Lymph % 0.6 - Neutr% 3.0 - Platelets are 56 - High MCV - below normal RBC - High RDW.... So if he is gonna hold off again on the Ibr. i guess I'll ask him if lowering the dosage will help with the #s

• moissy
    moissy Member Posts: 371
    edited February 2016

Great, Kaption! Enjoy your good news.

• Kaption
    edited February 2016

Thanks everyone. Btw, will be starting cycle 10 on Sunday.

• dlb823
    dlb823 Member Posts: 2,701
    edited February 2016

WooHoo to stable, Kaption!!!!!!!

• babs6287
    babs6287 Member Posts: 1,619
    edited February 2016

Kaption. Stable is wonderful🎉🎉🎉

Babs

• LovesMaltese
    LovesMaltese Member Posts: 551
    edited February 2016

Kap- Stable!!!! Yes!!!

• zarovka
    zarovka Member Posts: 2,959
    edited February 2016

You might consider this bit of information:

The maximum plasma palbociclib concentration (Cmax) is generally observed between 6 to 12 hours (time to reach maximum concentration, Tmax) following oral administration.

And read more here if you like this stuff. http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/nda/...

My strategy is to have my cancer drugs at maximum concentration at night. Studies show cancer grows more at night and most of these treatments are trying to impede cell growth. If you believe Ibrance is making you tired, you might time your ibrance to peak at night and kill two birds with one stone.

Some popular articles suggest you take cancer drugs when you go to bed to get this effect, but that is not universally applicable since depends on how the drug is metabolized. With a drug like pablociclib that peaks in concentration in 6-12 hours it will be reaching peak efficacy right when you wake.

Most importantly, you are not a statistic. You have to monitor your own experience to see if you can detect a daily cycle to the effect of the drug on your energy level. These statistics give you an idea of what to look for.

Chart your symptoms through the day vs when you take the drug for a while and you may figure this out.

• JFL
    JFL Member Posts: 1,373
    edited February 2016

Jobur, in response to your question on the last page, about Cymbalta side effects, I have not noticed any. Nothing. So far, so good.

• singlemom1
    singlemom1 Member Posts: 260
    edited February 2016

awesome kaption!

• NicciJ
    edited February 2016

That is wonderful Kaption!!!!

Thanks jobur and zills! And yes! Rash on both hands...sides of fingers and tops of my hands. Glad you guys mentioned it! I thought they were breaking out from washing my hands so much!

• NicciJ
    edited February 2016

Crap, also a few spots above one of my knees! Ugh!

• Zillsnot4me
    edited February 2016

counts low. Wait a week and start lower dose. Want to throw a temper tantrum. Want higher dose for another month.