Ibrance (Palbociclib)

Comments

• KC1010
    KC1010 Member Posts: 69
    edited July 2017

thanks so much for the advice, Auroaya and Grannax2!

I asked about the Y90, and since I only have 3 very small spots on my liver, my MO feels we should try some other treatments before we go that route. I definitely agree with your suggestion of consulting with an Interventional Radiologist--I'm going to start researching some great options in my area.

I haven't fully made my decision on whether to stay on I/F for a couple more months or to move forward with the recommended Gemzar next week. I'm leaning toward staying on I/F while I seek a second opinion.

Nextmoondance - I've heard of Cleaning for a Reason, but every time I tried to get service, they said they didn't have anyone available, and try back at a later date. I ended up giving up, and stopped trying. Keep us posted if you have success--it's an incredibly amazing gift that someone would donate their services to us.

Sending everyone prayers and positive thoughts for lots of'Julie' days. Winking

• Scwilly
    Scwilly Member Posts: 232
    edited July 2017

Zarovka Thanks for the advice and explanation. I think I will treat myself with a pot for breakfast tomorrow moring. My last pill was Sunday. I feel I'm doing quite well, though super tired I can usually get about my day ok. My blood levels are down but not worryingly low. Life is here to enjoy!

• lalady1
    lalady1 Member Posts: 530
    edited July 2017

Ladies - I'm sharing a sad update on lovely Naturegirl2 (Stephanie) who started Ibrance the same day as me in January 2016, but it quickly failed her. Her liver mets progressed, and she passed away on July 12th. For those of you that knew her - here is her obit that I promised to share. Last year she got a new Cadillac (why wait) and picked out a lovely pink (her fav color) casket along with writing her own obit. She was cared for by her long time friend Millie, but had too much pain to be hospiced at her home. Sending only kind thoughts on angel wings. I hate f** cancer and sorry Ibrance is not a magic bullet. In tears today - we have lost too many ladies including Hope/Romansma who started this thread. :(

Stephanie O'Neil Obituary

Visitation

Saturday, July 15, 2017

11:00 AM - 01:00 PM

Lake Lawn Metairie Funeral Home

5100 PONTCHARTRAIN BLVD

NEW ORLEANS, LA 70124

Stephanie Brown O'Neil

January 18, 1951 - July 12, 2017

Obituary

Stephanie Brown O'Neil of Metairie, Louisiana, age 66, left this beautiful earth on Wednesday, July 12 2017 to join her parents, Esther Quartano Brown, and Perry Henry Brown in eternal life with the Lord. She leaves on earth her lifetime companion, Millie Tizzard, a sister, Perrilyn Hutcherson (Bo), two nieces, Lindsey Neal (Justin), and Kyle Coste (Micah) along with three grand nephews, Alexander, Asher and Augustine Neal. Stephanie was a graduate of Archbishop Blenk High School in 1969. She was employed by DHHR, Office of Family Support as an Administrative Secretary and retired in 1995 with over 26 years of service. She was...

Read Complete Obituary

• AnimalCrackers
    AnimalCrackers Member Posts: 542
    edited July 2017

Thanks for letting us know LaLady1.  I remember her posts.  So sorry and saddened by this news.  Cancer indeed sucks!

• micmel
    micmel Member Posts: 10,039
    edited July 2017

I have had the service, they offer I think four cleanings while your are in cancer treatment. It isn't a bare knuckle scrubbing or anything, but it helped tremendously and is honestly one of the nicest things to look around and see a sparkle of clean that didn't involve you doing it. The people were always very kind and the people who did the cleaning were so sweet and sympathetic, they actually enjoy helping people that are sick. It was a good experience for me. I'd recommend not giving up, and if you haven't had it done, then do it. And free up some time to maybe do some Julie thingslol. Have a great day ladies ! ~M~

• singlemom1
    singlemom1 Member Posts: 260
    edited July 2017

Breast cancer wellness magazine has an article spotlighting women ( and one man) who have been living 10+ years with MBC. It is very inspiring!

• JoynerL
    JoynerL Member Posts: 1,392
    edited July 2017

Singlemom, I tried to find the article about living 10+ years with MBC and couldn't find it. Do you by any chance have a link? Thanks, regardless....:)

• Grannax2
    Grannax2 Member Posts: 2,387
    edited July 2017

I'm not sure if my very strange history of MBC counts. If it does I've been living with it 17 years. I was DX in 2000 w mets to C-3. After clinical trial at MDA, C-3 corpectomy w strut and graft and Taxotere x 6, it never came back. But, in November 2016, I was DX w mets to chest, lung and liver. ( I also have had 2 other DX of B.C. in 1992 and 2009)

Crazy I know!

• singlemom1
    singlemom1 Member Posts: 260
    edited July 2017

Joyner, it came over on the facebook page of one on the women featured. I don't know how to post something from facebook to this site. Did you try to go to the Breastcancer wellness magazine on line? Let me work on it. It has about 10 women featured and they are going to do another article with additional woman that have been 10+ years. One woman is 17 years and if I remember correctly one is almost 30 years!

• JoynerL
    edited July 2017

Yes, I did go on their site and tied to find the article but without success. If you do find it, I'd love to read it, but please don't stress over this. We have enough of that already. Hugs to you, singlemom, and to all.

I do say prayers for all of us on this site. Someone recently suggested prayers also for finding a cure. That is surely a good addition for the list!

• jaycee49
    jaycee49 Member Posts: 1,264
    edited July 2017
  • JoynerL
    edited July 2017

Thank you, Janet!

• hopefulgirl
    hopefulgirl Member Posts: 60
    edited July 2017

Jengotthis. I would love to join that fbook page. What is it called when I search. I am finishing up round one and feeling a bit better already.

Glad to hear you are doing so well:)

Cathy

• LvinAZ44
    LvinAZ44 Member Posts: 107
    edited July 2017

Hi all. I've read a couple posts about Y90, what is that?

• jensgotthis
    jensgotthis Member Posts: 673
    edited July 2017

Cathy, it's "metastatic breast cancer cdk 4/6 inhibitor group." Overall, I prefer this group on BCO but keep my eye on both for anything new and interesting.

• mimistewart
    mimistewart Member Posts: 19
    edited July 2017

sorry to hear this........it is such an awesome drug i hope it all works out for you

• mimistewart
    edited July 2017

faith 840 ,are you saying you have had your hair get thicker after it thinned while taking ibrance? are you still on ibrance ? my hair has thinned alot and its the only major side effect ive had......maybe there is hope for it to come back?

• Grannax2
    Grannax2 Member Posts: 2,387
    edited July 2017

Livin y90 is a procedure done by an interventional radiologist for treatment of liver mets. it's radioembolization. There's a thread here for local treatments where you can find out more.

• faith-840
    faith-840 Member Posts: 926
    edited July 2017

Mimi, yes, both my hairdresser and I think my hair has gotten thicker after it thinned so much in the beginning. In fact the new hair is coming in with more curls like it did after it grew back the first time I went bald from Chemo. I'm taking 10 mg Biotin and it has taken many months but it's definitely thicker than it was. It doesn't happen overnight and my MO said it wouldn't work but I think he was wrong unless it would have gotten thicker anyway. I'm sure everyone is different but don't give up hope.

• hopefulgirl
    hopefulgirl Member Posts: 60
    edited July 2017

thanks jenn just sent a request to join.

Cathy

• PatgMc
    PatgMc Member Posts: 1,312
    edited July 2017

Rest in Peace, Stephanie, Naturegirl2. However long we live on this earth, it's a complete life. I'm thankful that you are now beyond the fear and discomfort of this world.

• PatgMc
    PatgMc Member Posts: 1,312
    edited July 2017

I'm so thankful for having this past week off Ibrance. Two weeks on just the Arimidex has allowed my head to clear and helped me realize I'm still in here! I've been making art for the group show, "Elvis Has Left the Building" at LRoss Gallery in Memphis. With this burst of energy, I finished two pieces I started before Ibrance and completed a third whole piece, working for hours non-stop like I used to do! For some of you, traveling is the thrill you crave and I'm so thankful you've been able to do that and share your joy here. Being able to create is what lights my fire, and it feels so good to know I can do that again. My oncologist and I agreed that I would take another two weeks off in August. I can't wait! Wouldn't it be cool to discover one could do two weeks on and two weeks off Ibrance and still remain progression-free for a long time?! Hmmmm.

• faith-840
    faith-840 Member Posts: 926
    edited July 2017

PatG, two weeks off sounds like heaven. I'm in my off week with just two days left before I start again on Thursday. It sure feels good not to take that big pill every morning. You probably mentioned why you were taking two weeks off but since my brain is mush, I can't remember. Do you mind sharing that with us again? It would truly be great to only be on two weeks and off two weeks. I had blood drawn today and so far my results are ok but still waiting for the tumor markers which I'll find out tomorrow when I see the MO..

It's wonderful that you have such a creative outlet with your art. My DH also has that and it's truly a gift that that takes you away from it all. We both enjoy trips to Italy and I can get lost in the planning but it's not an everyday thing. I'm the more practical one around here and get to take care of the fun stuff like paying the bills. Ugh!

Love to all and prayers for a cure and a pain free nights sleep.

• zarovka
    zarovka Member Posts: 2,959
    edited July 2017

congrats PatgMc. I am missing my old self this evening. Not sure what is going on, but I am very tired. Tried to just get through a normal day and it was rough.

>Z<

• Lillymillie
    Lillymillie Member Posts: 115
    edited July 2017

a little good news. Got my scans (mri and ct scan) and results yesterday. After 3 cycles (first cycle 13 days and missed 2 tablets on cycle 2) results were good. I am stable and the fluid in my pluera is reducing. (I have mets in hip, femur, spine and shoulder...lots of other bones too) I was away for a week in southern Portugal, Had a lovely holiday, amazing weather and great food. I was relatively pain free and happy a bit like our Julie friend. Spent a little time In the most beautiful little white washed church saying prayers for us all and sending positive vibes our way. I have spent the 2 days mainly sleeping late recovering from it all excitement...but worth it all to spend some quality time with my family.

• JoynerL
    edited July 2017

Great news, Lilliemillie, and I'm so happy about your trip to Portugal.

Z, feel better-

Pat, the new show at your gallery sounds amazing. So glad you're up and working again!

• Lynnwood1960
    Lynnwood1960 Member Posts: 1,107
    edited July 2017

Z, I hope you feel better soon. I am also feeling a little off. Trying to adjust to not working...it is harder then I thought it would be. I almost feel like I'm giving up by not pushing myself physically to work although I know that I feel better not working. I signed up to volunteer at a cat rescue and start Thursday, it's something I always said I would do if I had the time. We have 2 rescue cats that we love so much. Not feeling much like Julie at all lately. Every time the commercial comes on my husband and I laugh and say "there's that Julie again."

• masonsmawmaw
    masonsmawmaw Member Posts: 119
    edited July 2017

Sadiesservant-my hemoglobin had dropped to around 8.8 after 24 cycles of Ibrance/Faslodex/Xgeva. Onc set me up to get 2 units of blood and I kid you not....I HAVE LITERALLY FELT LIKE A NEW PERSON! Never again will I wait to get blood once my hemoglobin gets below 10!

• jaycee49
    jaycee49 Member Posts: 1,264
    edited July 2017

Pat, I'm glad you enjoy extra time off but I've been off Ibrance for five weeks and can't wait to get back on. Every little ache or pain feels like cancer progressing. MO recommended I take a cycle off because of the UTI I had last month. I said, how about two or three weeks? He said a full cycle would be "simpler." Simpler for who? I'm sitting here with a headache right now just thinking about it. I'm going to lunch with friends tomorrow and then Thurs. to MO for blood work so I can get started back Thurs. evening (like you, Faith). I guess what bugs me most is that I'm taking the week "off" when I didn't even take the 21 days.

You all always say something positive at the end of a post so...the UTI is gone.

• mimistewart
    edited July 2017

i never give up hope ........thanks for letting me know it can happen,all the side effects went away ie:mouth sores at the end of the 21 days ,feeling crappy the last 4 days of my meds.....so ill be on the look out/