Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

Ibrance (Palbociclib)

Comments

• kaydeesmiles
    kaydeesmiles Member Posts: 201
    edited June 2015

Whoop whoop! Great news Stefanie. I hope you get fantastic results with Ibrance.

• pearlady
    pearlady Member Posts: 390
    edited June 2015

Great news Stefanie. So glad you got the approval. Also glad you are taking Deep Sleep instead of Ambien.

Went for acupuncture yesterday. Mentioned that I wasn't sleeping well. He put a needle in my neck (did not hurt). Had a great night's sleep. Wish I could do that every day.

• ShetlandPony
    ShetlandPony Member Posts: 3,063
    edited June 2015

Hooray for insurance approval, Stefajoy!

Regarding trouble sleeping, I totally blame the letrozole. I had the same problems on tamoxifen, but not when I was off hormone therapy during taxol. Falling asleep is sometimes ok and sometimes difficult; melatonin or meditation/body scan helps. BUT I often wake up around 4AM and am awake for hours. It's like I just run out of sleep. I'm not sure if the hot flashes wake me or if I just notice them because I'm awake.

Regarding Ibrance dosage, I think I must have more energy on 100 mg. I have been cleaning out my closet.

• ShetlandPony
    ShetlandPony Member Posts: 3,063
    edited June 2015

Susan, you mentioned tender gums. I've had that, too. Take care of your mouth. Having dealt with two weeks of mouth sores, I'm now being more careful. Avoiding hard foods like chips and sandwich rolls, rinsing with baking soda & salt rinse, brushing carefully, etc. It was the mouth sores that got my dose lowered.

8 oz warm water, 1/4 teaspoon baking soda, 1/8 teaspoon salt

• Deb20
    Deb20 Member Posts: 10
    edited June 2015

Yes that is normal I just barely begin to feel better in the fourth week and then it's time to start the ibrance again. Been on it do a total of four rounds. Into my fifth. I do think it builds up and up. I have to do Zumba and other aerobic hour long exercises to keep going. Fatigue is the worst along with bone and joint pain. Also taking Femara.

• Deb20
    edited June 2015

I have had great scans since I've been on ibrance. I am truly grateful for this drug. Also it allows me to travel.

• Deb20
    edited June 2015

wishing you the best. I have had good results with ibrance.

• Deb20
    edited June 2015

I have had good results with ibrance.

• Romansma
    Romansma Member Posts: 650
    edited June 2015

Hey! Missing you guys! Been having a rough week. Almost lost my favorite aunt to chemo side effects. It was touch and go all week, but she is finally showing improvement. She has AML (leukemia) and after about 10-12 daysinto that first round of crazy chemo, she was having a hard time breathing. They put her in ICU and by Tuesday called the family in early because they didn't expect her to make it. She's feisty and isn't going without a fight. Amazingly, she started showing improvenment Wed night and is still hanging in there. OMG, what a week!

Soooooo, I'm cramming everything I have to do into today because we leave for Alaska at 6am tomorrow (and I'm here on the boards, lol!). Anyway, intense pain has subsided. MO thinks (me too) it's the Xgeva and wants me to up my calcium intake even though my blood shows its sufficient. I think it was 9.1 this time, but the pain was off the charts! I need to investigate the calcium thing, because I am not a fan of taking it as a supplement. If anyone has any ideas about this, please share. If my blood shows fine, why would it be causing such pain? Is there another way to increase calcium levels?

Day 9 of being off Ibrance. I feel ok. Still a little fatigued, but I've had spurts of energy last couple days. I think the sauna helps my energy levels, believe it or not. Did 2 sessions this week in an attempt to detox as much as possible before my trip. Tons of water intake and a green smoothie here's and there. I'll need a mega detox when I get back! I'm feeling a little more optimistic about how I feel right now, though. The Ibrance is definitely causing me fatigue, probably through the low blood counts. However, it it works, I'm good with it!

I might try to check in before I head out. Have a great weekend everyone

• tina2
    tina2 Member Posts: 758
    edited June 2015

From an AP release earlier this year: "Pfizer said it would price Ibrance at $9,850 a month, or $118,200 per year. The New York-based company said in a statement that price 'is not the cost that most patients or payors pay.' "

So what are you paying out of pocket, ladies?

Tina

• sandilee
    sandilee Member Posts: 436
    edited June 2015

Thanks for checking in, Hope. So sorry to hear about your aunt. That must have been so scary for your family. Damn cancer.

So glad your pain has subsided and you seem to be getting some of your energy back. I hope you can get the calcium thing worked out, if that's what the problem is. It's so hard to know what causes what, when we have so many thing going on.

I mostly just want to wish you a wonderful trip! I hope you feel great the whole time and come back refreshed!

• sandilee
    edited June 2015

Tina,

Many of us signed up for the Pfizer Co-Pay card, which reduces the copay to $10 a month. I have no idea how long they will continue to offer this.

• Myra1211
    Myra1211 Member Posts: 532
    edited June 2015

Hope have a wonderful trip. Glad to hear from you. Myra.

• Lynnwood1960
    Lynnwood1960 Member Posts: 1,107
    edited June 2015

Tina, I am paying $25 for Ibrance and $10 for Femara.I will look into the co-pay card. Somehow they got me the first month free, getting ready to start cycle 3 on Monday

• susan_02143
    susan_02143 Member Posts: 2,394
    edited June 2015

I pay nothing. Massachusetts is a parity state so if Chemo in the hospital is covered, so are these new target therapies by mouth and chemo by mouth. I pay a lot per month for my coverage so this is the least they can do!

*susan*

• Northtexas
    Northtexas Member Posts: 29
    edited June 2015

Just started second round.  I haven't paid anything yet and I'm not arguing.

• pearlady
    edited June 2015

Hope so glad that you checked in before your cruise. So happy that your pain is better but so sorry about your aunt. Glad that she is doing better.

Have a great time on your cruise. Also enjoy your break from Ibrance. Hope you can really get away from everything including the pain.

Love the sauna also. Going tomorrow and also having a foot massage. Last time I slept so well after the sauna. Wish I could do it twice a week also but it's difficult for me to fit in.

Enjoy your tine away and come back feeling energetic and pain free.

• Romansma
    Romansma Member Posts: 650
    edited June 2015
    Whew! Just finished packing and my back is growling at me to lay flat.....so here I am! Thanks for the well wishes! I think some of the benefits of the infared sauna are just kicking in after a month of 2x a week. I feel like my digestive track is working a little better. I'm down 5 of the 12 lbs which I think was a lot of water and bloat.

TGIF!
  • apackoftwo
    apackoftwo Member Posts: 64
    edited June 2015

What is the difference between an infrared sauna and a regular one and why is it better?

• jjski62
    jjski62 Member Posts: 43
    edited June 2015

Bon voyage, Hope! Have a wonderful trip.

• cenglish62
    cenglish62 Member Posts: 14
    edited June 2015

Hi Susan, I too am on day 6 of Ibrance. I had a recent bout of shingles on my scalp and thought the odd tingling was phantom pain. I appreciate your post. I have felt "off" as well. I was hoping to hold on to my newly grown hair for a while.. Celeste

• tina2
    tina2 Member Posts: 758
    edited June 2015

Bon voyage, Hope!

Tina

• pearlady
    edited June 2015

Can't recall what the difference is between an Far Infra red sauna and a regular one, but there is a difference. I read about it a while ago and the Far Infrared definitely has healing properties. I read that the sauna should be Far InfraRed. The Biomat which is said to have healing properties also uses Far Infrared technology. I have a Biomat and used it frequently when I would feel a bit off after chemo. Lying there and sweating for an hour seemed to help my body detox and get rid of that feeling. Funny thing is that one if my cats loves the Biomat. When I use it she always lies there with me and is upset when I put it away.

Going this weekend for the sauna and a foot massage.

• ABeautifulSunset
    ABeautifulSunset Member Posts: 600
    edited June 2015

Hope, Have a fantastic time in Alaska with your beautiful family! Its an amazing and scenic cruise. I wish you a pain free, stress free week.

And Bon Voyage !

Stefanie

• susan_02143
    edited June 2015

Hope, I may have missed your departure... but have a wonderful time on the cruise! * susan*

• susan_02143
    edited June 2015

Celeste, Welcome to the forum..... sounds like we will be on the same schedule for at least a while.

Stef, wonderful that you have your approval.

Yesterday was the worst day so far. My stomach was just in knots. My friend had caught a lovely striper. Made a mango salsa, avocado, grilled up the fish, and at last moment changed from sweet potato to rice since my stomach insisted on something bland. I was able to eat a bit of the fish and rice, along with the avocado, but that was it. Maybe I was able to eat 12 mouthfuls, but only because I was determined.

I really will hope for a better day today.

*susan*

• RosesToeses
    RosesToeses Member Posts: 244
    edited June 2015

Hope, have a wonderful trip! And glad about your aunt being able to fight back and get better, she sounds like a real inspiration.

I've been taking Calcium+D pills every day since I started Xgeva about a year and a half ago. So far no problems with it. Hope the pain continues to get better, 9 out of 10 is still really high!

Tina, I'm in Massachusetts like Susan, but for the first 2 months I did have a copay of $2400 a month. It was considered an oral perscription drug and covered under my Rx plan--needless to say, I got the Pfizer card to knock it down to $10 a month, but was saving up for the end of the year when we'd maxed out on the card's $25,000 year max. But, now the insurances have decided it is on the list of items covered by my medical insurance (normally injected and infused, but also some others like Ibrance) and my copay is $0. Very happy about that! Good luck getting everything sorted!

Susan, sorry about your stomach issues, hope those get better as you go along!

• Myra1211
    Myra1211 Member Posts: 532
    edited June 2015

Good morning all. Had an awful night last night. Got my TMs and they went up 60 points. Didn't sleep at all, cried my eyes out. Why can't I find something that lasts longer than 4 months? Been thru 3 tx in the short yr I have been dx'd. So afraid what the next one will be. What the SEs will be. I just want to see my grand daughter born in August. I want to go there and cuddle her. I hate this damn cancer! What did I di to deserve this? What did any of us do? Myra.

• RosesToeses
    RosesToeses Member Posts: 244
    edited June 2015

Myra, so sorry, sending hugs and prayers. What does your onc say? Does he/she consider this the end for Ibrance or is it more of a "wait for the trends" situation? There are lots of stories here of women who went through a number of treatments before finding "the one"--I know it still really stinks right now, but hopefully if it isn't Ibrance for you it will be whatever's next in line. (((hugs)))

• sandilee
    edited June 2015

Oh, Susan. So sorry about your stomach issues. I hope today is much better. Do you take the pills after dinner? That seems to be the best for me- the biggest meal of the day, although I've never had the kind of pain you're describing with it.

I just finished my last pill last night of my second cycle. This cycle was much better all around- no real side effects that I noticed. The change to 100mgs made a big difference. No tingly scalp and very little fatigue. I go in on Thursday for a blood draw before I restart my meds and hope my counts continue to reflect the easier cycle.

My biggest concern at this point is..does it work? I have some sensations around my liver, so I wonder if that's my mets growing, or if it's just indigestion or imagination. I'm eager for a scan, but I don't want to have it before Ibrance has a chance to work, which probably means at least one more cycle. I really don't want to quit too early. I should get CEA results after Thursday, so that may tell me something. Remaining optimistic is my challenge at the moment.

Celebrating Father's Day today. My daughter and beau are coming over for brunch so I have cooking and garden clean-up this morning. That may sound like work to some, but it's my favorite thing. I love to have family over to eat and hang out. Those of you with kids no longer living at home will understand. Precious times.

Myra- just read your post. I'm so sorry. Is it possibly too early for the drugs to be working? Do you have a plan? I wish I could give you a big hug right now. And I'm confident you'll see your grand daughter. There are a lot of options out there, and you've just begun. Don't give up hope.