Ibrance (Palbociclib)

Comments

• tanya_djamila
    tanya_djamila Member Posts: 1,530
    edited October 2018

Snooky take it with food and drink lots of water. Some of us have had a puff back. A puff of smoke comes out of our mouths after we take it.

Welcome to the thread. You’ll get an abundance of information from the group.

Have a wonderful day all

Tanya

• Lynnwood1960
    Lynnwood1960 Member Posts: 1,107
    edited October 2018

I was told to take mine with a meal, preferably with at least 400 calories and some fat.

• sandibeach57
    sandibeach57 Member Posts: 1,387
    edited October 2018

Does a donut count towards fat and calories? Ha.

• candy-678
    candy-678 Member Posts: 4,166
    edited October 2018

SandiBeach57-

The donut better count!!!!   I love a donut, muffin, or Danish for breakfast.  

• Utopria
    Utopria Member Posts: 182
    edited October 2018

Great idea... or a nutritionist told me that if you can't take food with ibrance, just take 5-6 almonds.... that has enough fat in it to absorb the medicine..

• Crazeejane
    Crazeejane Member Posts: 47
    edited October 2018

Good Monday morning everyone!! Going back and reading through this thread I have had a lot of questions answered so thank you for that!! I head in on Thursday for bloodwork as I’m halfway through my second cycle of I/R. I am truly hoping that it looks as good as it did before. I spent all of this past weekend moving back to Pipestone from where I was living in Lake Benton and man am I definitely sore!!! To say I may have pushed my body to the limits is pretty true, however, we got everything accomplished that we wanted to and it feels so wonderful to be back home and closer to where I go for appointments!! I hope all of you wonderful ladies have a great week!!

• Grannax2
    Grannax2 Member Posts: 2,387
    edited October 2018

crazeejane what state do you live in? A move would wear me out for sure.

• elenas401
    elenas401 Member Posts: 170
    edited October 2018

Hi Crazeejane. You must be from Minnesota. Me too. This is my first post though I've been following this thread for some time. I've been on I/L for a year and a half after dx in Jan '17, after 3 mos. Taxol. It's been pretty doable but I go in for my 6 no. scan next month and am already a little anxious.

• Crazeejane
    edited October 2018

Grannax2 -I live in MN and needless to say my body is hating me today!! Legs are weak and sore as well as my back and hips unfortunately. I definitely overdid it and am paying for it now. Nausea has kicked in today as well so it’s a double whammy!!

Elenas491-Yes I too am from MN. What part do you live in? I hope your upcoming scans give you good news. I have my first set of scans in December to find out if anything has changed and if the I/L is doing it’s job and I too am anxious to find out all ready.

• LaurenH
    LaurenH Member Posts: 382
    edited October 2018

Hello friends - was away from BCO over the weekend so catching up on the beautiful FB post from leapfrog, the amazing photo front joyner, the happy notion that two of you might sail together soon and wonderful breaking news from Cure-ious! Also it's nice to see nonahope back on Ibrance and lots of sweet posts from penny, who always warms my heart with her kindness.

CrazeeJane - you are living up to your CRAZEE name by moving yourself - I How enthuse 6 kids helped out!

Welcome to Snooky and Melissa - Please know I praying for the best possible outcome of for you. Best wishes on your trial, GG27!

Love to all,

Lauren

• LaurenH
    edited October 2018

Oh -I also wanted to share a lovely surprise. My son's travel baseball team was playing in a pink ribbon 🎀 tournament this past weekend. We weren't able to go because we had a conflicting hockey tournament in Michigan. However, our baseball family sent me photos of how they celebrated ME ☺️ at the tournament. The boys wore pink wrist bands with my initas and their number on the back, while the mom's wore imageribbons with "LH" my initial. Like leapfrog said sometime this journey brings happy tears!!

• nonahope
    nonahope Member Posts: 695
    edited October 2018

Lauren....LOVED the picture of the boys!

Hope

• JoynerL
    JoynerL Member Posts: 1,392
    edited October 2018

Lauren, WONDERFUL!

• Crazeejane
    edited October 2018

Lauren- that’s a great pic and yes the kiddos definitely did their part in helping us get all moved! My boss and his wife also helped and were a god send!! I was truly blessed with all of the help and food and laughter and conversation!!

• Seaway
    Seaway Member Posts: 158
    edited October 2018

Hi all;

Been away for a while as I have a cold that just won't quit! Feeling better but still in my chest. Missed everyone and loved the posts and pictures.....Joyners beautiful, beautiful porch view and Lauren's sons team supporting her journey. My goodness I've missed everyone and welcome to Melissa and Snooky. Good luck GG27. I pray for us all and love the news. Great news Cureious.

I think I might have a skin met. It's on my chest and I've tried polysporin and 1% Cortisone cream for months with no success. I don't see my onc until the end of November so I'm going to try some cream my brother uses. He has pre-cancerous skin lesions and puts this on his face and arms when they get bad and after about 5 days they scab up and go. If that's not what it is the cream will have no effect. Why not.

I have my 3 month scans tomorrow and am a little nervous but we'll see. My blood had been dropping in multiple areas over the last few months so I started taking Vitamin B12 and folic acid and this month it was much improved. I was thrilled. My numbers are very close to normal levels. It has to be this as nothing else has changed.

love to all,

Cathy

• sandibeach57
    sandibeach57 Member Posts: 1,387
    edited October 2018

I would suggest getting that spot biopsied first..maybe get in to see your MO or dermatologist sooner than appt date.

• Jaylea
    Jaylea Member Posts: 440
    edited October 2018

Lauren, this terrible, horrible, no good, very bad disease doesn't offer very many positives, but the support from that team certainly is a gift! Thanks for sharing.

Cathy, good luck with your scans tomorrow, praying for positive results.

• LaurenH
    edited October 2018

Thanks everyone! I know their wrist bands and ribbons won’t lead to a cure, but it sure made me feel special.

• time-for-a-cure
    time-for-a-cure Member Posts: 67
    edited October 2018

Sometimes it is just the little things, like wrist bands and pink ribbons that makes our day! Lauren -looks like you are raising amazing kids!

• Crazeejane
    edited October 2018

Cathy-Good luck with your scans today!! I’m sending positive thoughts and well wishes your way!

• snooky1954
    snooky1954 Member Posts: 850
    edited October 2018

Thanks to all who encouraged me to take it with food! I had asked the pharmacist from Alliance RX Walgreens which sent me this drug. Silly me thought that he knew.  But, I trust you ladies more so I've been taking it with my lunch and thankfully have had no issues keeping it down.Heart

• nonahope
    nonahope Member Posts: 695
    edited October 2018

Cathy....Positive vibes heading your way! I had my six month scans the end of August and all was stable.

Snooky...My bottle of Ibrance clearly states in all caps TAKE WITH FOOD. I always take mine at the same time with dinner...have never had an issue. The Letrozole states take "with or without" food. I take my Letrozole at lunch time.

• Seaway
    Seaway Member Posts: 158
    edited October 2018

SandiBeach57;

I know you're right about a biopsy but this is quicker. I just started today rubbing a bit of fluorouracil cream 5% twice a day on my spot. My brother says if I have no reaction within 5 days then it's not going to work. It is a medication used on the skin to treat pre-cancerous and cancerous skin growths. Fluorouracil belongs to a class of medications known as anti-metabolites. It works by blocking the growth of abnormal cells that cause the skin condition. So if it works then it was either cancerous or pre-cancerous otherwise it's nothing. I will tell my oncologist about it. My brother has all these pre-cancerous (although he has had one cancerous) spots all over his body from working on a farm in his youth. There was no sun block back in the day. I basically avoided the sun as I am fair and burnt like crazy....lucky for me. Years ago I had another spot and saw a dermatologist who wasn't sure and told me to apply 1% cortisone cream for two weeks and come back if it didn't work. Luckily for me it did. So. I'm going to try this for the 5 days and see. Less stressful for me. But you are right I should just get a biopsy but........

Thanks so much

Cathy

• WANDERING
    WANDERING Member Posts: 197
    edited October 2018

Hi ladies. Had a PET scan today. My oncologist looked it over and said it really looked good (very upbeat comment coming from him). Some signs of old disease but no new places (organs looked fine). I can download the radiologist's report in a couple days. My tumor markers continue to go up but not much. Perhaps the numbers are my "new normal". I'm not ready for the Ibrance dance yet but pretty soon. Staff at my oncologist's office and the hospital are efficient and demonstrate lots of patience and compassion. We are lucky to have them in our little town (about 40,000 population). I read an article in the local Helena newspaper that 90 women in our area are diagnosed with breast cancer annually. A pretty stunning high number for our population.

• LaurenH
    edited October 2018

Great news Wandering! So happy for you! what are your current marker readings? So glad you have a supportive staff at your cancer center. That’s so important.

Cathy - I am thinking of you and hoping that mark on your skin has nothing to do with MBC. I am curious - what will you conclude if your brother’s cream actually works? That you have unrelated skin cancer? I so hope your scan results are good news!

Love to all,

Lauren

• PatgMc
    PatgMc Member Posts: 1,312
    edited October 2018

Wandering, of course you're dancing the Ibrance Dance....Progression Free Disease is a very big deal! As we used to say in Flying Colors, our support center, "If it ain't growin', it can't kill you!" So cut a rug, my friend!

Love from PatGMc

• WANDERING
    edited October 2018

Lauren: My TM was 90 yesterday. It varies a bit each month from a low of 51 about a year ago. I know that seems low to many in our group and some do not consider it a good indicator but since my oncologist wants to see that every month he orders the test. He doesn't do lots of scans - the PET scan yesterday was my first one in 2-1/2 years. I haven't had a bone scan in quite some time either. Since I see him every 4 weeks for the Faslodex shot I feel like he is keeping pretty close tabs on me. I realize I cannot live forever but would like to hang around a bit longer. Thanks for the support and I plan on grabbing my husband this afternoon for the dance as suggested.

• WANDERING
    edited October 2018

PS: Thanks Pat also.

• Crazeejane
    edited October 2018

Well my bloodwork looked good today which is great...however I am starting to feel like a human pin cushion because they always have a hard time finding the vein. Do you think I should talk to my Oncologist about a port?? Today I had to be stuck twice and IV's are even worse. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I get bloodwork done every 2 weeks

Wandering- that’s awesome news and definitely a reason to celebrate a little bit. A little bit of happiness is better than nothing any day of the week in our situation!! I’m happy for you

• elenas401
    elenas401 Member Posts: 170
    edited October 2018

crazeejane: greetings from west central minnesota. Happy to hear about your blood work, I had a port put in when first diagnosed and before my chemo and its worked fine with no trouble throughout my I/L. Some nurses have a little trouble with it but it helps to use a one inch needle. Its made blood draws much easier for me.