Ibrance (Palbociclib)

Comments

• LoveFromPhilly
    LoveFromPhilly Member Posts: 1,019
    edited February 2019

I totally get it Lauren!

And by the way you are absolutely adorable and gorgeous!!! You look amazing with those perfect curls and with your lovely straight hair!

I have always had incredibly curly kinky hair. And I think from the Ibrance (never had chemo) my hair is now a lot straighter. I can’t really tell if it’s thinner? It may be a little. Here’s a before and after pic of me (before Ibrance and now after 22 cycles of Ibrance - holy moly 22!! Eek!) I feel like my hair texture has changed a lot.

Before

After

imageIt is definitely interesting to do a side by side comparison!

• LoveFromPhilly
    edited February 2019

I totally get it Lauren!

And by the way you are absolutely adorable and gorgeous!!! You look amazing with those perfect curls and with your lovely straight hair!

I have always had incredibly curly kinky hair. And I think from the Ibrance (never had chemo) my hair is now a lot straighter. I can't really tell if it's thinner? It may be a little. Here's a before and after pic of me (before Ibrance and now after 22 cycles of Ibrance - holy moly 22!! Eek!) I feel like my hair texture has changed a lot.

Before

After

imageIt is definitely interesting to do a side by side comparison!

• PatgMc
    PatgMc Member Posts: 1,312
    edited February 2019

I love popping in and seeing friends live and in person, looking oh-so-cute! My hair didn't return after I was slammed with Taxol/Carboplatin in 2012. (Well, some little old man's barely-there hair showed up.) I bought 5 identical wigs so I would never have to shop for one again. My husband shaves Mr. Fuzz every few months, I pop on #1 or 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 and life goes on! It makes me laugh to realize I spent decades of my life and thousands of dollars coloring my roots to make them disappear, then bought 5 wigs with dark ROOTS!

Me and my girls, give or take 5 years>>> (Never underestimate the power of good lighting.)

Love from PatGMc

• snooky1954
    snooky1954 Member Posts: 850
    edited February 2019

You ladies are so beautiful. All day I've been feeling sorry for myself because of chemo starting this week.. And to see you all so happy and beautiful after all you've been through is truly inspiring  Just what I needed.  Cancer didn't win.

• jensgotthis
    jensgotthis Member Posts: 673
    edited February 2019

Lauren, when my hair came back after chemo it came in curly with a few spots that look like I used a crimping iron on them. I used to have fine hair but a lot of it and it had a lot of volume. Now the curls seem so dry and frizz is more my norm unless I get my product mix just right

Here’s a recent pic:

• airlinegal
    airlinegal Member Posts: 252
    edited February 2019
    You all are so cute....you could make a commercial. My hair came back curly after chemo in 2000 and then straighten. This time it is a bunch of fuzz and dry and blotchy in spots. I wil wear a wig when necessary and otherwise a bandana at home. After retirement...I started a pet sitting business...stay very busy with it. Always laugh and say my pets don't care if I show up with make-up, clothe so or hair...just so I show up.
  • candy-678
    candy-678 Member Posts: 4,166
    edited February 2019

I am not sending a pic.  Sorry.   But, believe me, my hair is horribly thinner.  I have always had fine, thin hair.  As a child, I could not wear barrettes as they would just slide out.  I lost all my hair (EVERYWHERE) after the 2 doses of A/C chemo I had.   When it grew back in (while on Ibrance and A/I) it was CURLY and thicker.  I LOVED IT.  Now, over the last 3 months especially, I have probably lost 50% of it.  We are always harder on ourselves than others see us, but I have the "comb over" going on the top and reminds me of a Charley Brown Tree with the thin branches.    I have a wig ( only 1 PatgMc ) but I hate to go back to wearing it.  I hated wearing it when I was bald.  It was hot and itchy.  So I just go to the hairdresser and get it trimmed to a style as best as we can.  I do still work full time and it is not great for self-esteem, but what can I do. 

It is nice to see a face with the name of all you wonderful ladies.  

Snooky--Praying for you this week.  Keep us posted.  And PM anytime.

• Frenchhorn654
    Frenchhorn654 Member Posts: 46
    edited February 2019

Wow.. love the pics ladies... I lost my hair during taxol in 2006 and it came back in grey and black and everyone kept asking me which type of dye I used on it... ha

• janky
    janky Member Posts: 478
    edited February 2019

Morning everyone - My hair had always been thin but relatively easy to keep in a nice bob style. I had my 'arctic highlights' (roots - taken care of by my stylist regularly), then chemo! lost most of my body hair, then as my hair grew back it was an interesting salt & pepper blend with curls! After starting the Ibrance 6 months after Letrozole when stage 4 was discovered, my hair started thinning so I too experimented with combovers and different parts etc. Then come October 2018 - off to Australia for 5 weeks AND after 2 weeks I started having visibly thicker hair, and I now have new hair still coming in! Mind you it is definitely salt and peppery, and the texture is coarse, but there is lots of it - go figure!! I also have chin hair coming in :( (but I'll take it!) ...Minus 30 C here for the past 8 days - way too cold to do anything outdoorsy...stay warm!

• Gumdoctor
    Gumdoctor Member Posts: 618
    edited February 2019

imageHAIR!!! HARD SUBJECT!!!

i had super thick, curly/wavy hair (lower picture), started thinning severely with bald patches while I had undiagnosed IDC for 3.5 yrs or more...

Then FEC-T chemo in 2014-15...came back all gray and straight...been coloring and cutting what's left. I wore wigs the whole time I was bald (post-chemo) and while it was growing back in...

Hawaii picture was last May (2018) with Diamond Head behind me.

Hair is now straight as a board and of course thin and getting thinner since Ibrance/Faslodex...

Lots of grieving over losing the hair I had. It was a HUGE part of my identity. Hard even to think about or talk about still...

Gumdoctor

• LaurenH
    LaurenH Member Posts: 382
    edited February 2019

Wow - thanks for all the responses! I love seeing all of you and I am really interested to read what you all have experienced. You are all beautiful and I just love attaching faces to names.

Whoever used the word 'crimp' that's the perfect description of the hair that is growing in all around my head interspersed among the longer straight hair. This takes too much time to mess with every morning and especially while traveling so I think I'm going to get my roots straightened (brazilian blow out) and cut more of the length off and see if that helps reduce the morning drill.

Interesting fact - I have yet to develop a single gray hair and I have never colored my hair. I will be 50 this year and both my parents were completely gray by 40, as my sister has been as well. I think my early stage chemo at 33 did something to interrupt that process, so I will take that as a win!

Love to all - grateful for the time you took to share and I love seeing your lovely faces and hair. For those of you grieving the loss of your once beautiful hair, know that I am right there with you. I just hate having to spend extra time trying to look somewhat normal. It's hard enough to work and get to all my treatments and doctors appointments, while raising my kid and dealing with side effects and fatigue. i don't have time to also mess with my hair! I don’t miss my hair as much as I miss how easy it used to make it look presentable. I want to work with pets instead of corporate executives!!!

I welcome others to share, as well!

Lauren

• 50sgirl
    50sgirl Member Posts: 2,071
    edited February 2019

I love all the beautiful pictures. I have noticed that my hair has become thicker since I stopped taking Ibrance. I never developed any bald spots, but I definitely experienced thinning. My brushes were always full of hair no matter how often I cleaned them. Of course, my hair will be disappearing soon (see next paragraph.) I miss Faslodex and Ibrance.

Snooky, I am starting chemo (Taxol) this week,too. I am scheduled for my first infusion tomorrow morning. I will keep you in my thoughts this week. I am keeping a positive attitude and believe that Taxol will be effective. I know my MO will be keeping a close eye on me and monitoring SEs. Feel free to PM me if you ever want to compare notes.

Hugs and prayers from, Lynne

• Gumdoctor
    edited February 2019

Snooky,

Praying it all goes well for your Taxol.

I did Taxotere during stage 3 treatment and I was terrified. In retrospect, it went much better than I expected it would. I will be there in spirit, holding your hand and making you laugh with silly stories...

Gumdoctor

• LaurenH
    LaurenH Member Posts: 382
    edited February 2019

50sGirl and Snooky - wishing you both much success and an easy time of it with taxol. I think they’ve improved the dosing schedule on that over the years to help with potential side effects. It’s a great drug with lots of success stories.

Love to all,

Lauren

• elenas401
    elenas401 Member Posts: 170
    edited February 2019

All you ladiesmlook lovely in your pics. PatGMC, if you're wearing your wig in that pic, it looks so real I never would've known. I also wear. wigs after taxol and almost two years on I/L. With the right cut I could probably do without it but I'm afraid that when Ibrance fails, it may thin out or I may lose it all together. That should be the least of my worries I guess.

• airlinegal
    airlinegal Member Posts: 252
    edited February 2019
    Thinking of you Snooky and 50sgirl this week. Keep us posted.
  • jensgotthis
    jensgotthis Member Posts: 673
    edited February 2019

Snooky and Lynn (50s), I’m hopping into your pockets too while you go through this first new treatment. We’ve seen friends here get such a great response from the chemo. I trust this will happen for you too.

If it’s helpful at all, when I did Taxotare and Cytoxan I found a couple of things very helpful - sipping on bone broth really helped my digestion and gastrointestinal systems. I ordered mine from Osso Good but Whole Foods and high end butchers also carry it. Remember your Claritin if they are going to give you Neulasta. Keep walking and moving as much as you can and get good, solid rest. Hugs to you

• Seaway
    Seaway Member Posts: 158
    edited February 2019

Snooky and 50sgirl; I've been on taxol twice and can truly attest to fantastic results on it. If I could offer a bit of advice I would suggest starting asap a laxative....senecot perhaps....start taking it asap. Taxol sort of shocks your system (you are being poisoned after all) and pretty routinely causes constipation. Also around day 2 or 3 for a few days I always had quite a lot of pain and took tylenol 3 or 4's every 4 hours during this period. It's not too bad and only lasts a couple of days and well worth it for the results I found. Oh and say goodbye to your hair lol. This might not be the same for you but it's my experience. I'll be thinking of you. All the best.

Cathy

• snooky1954
    edited February 2019

To all who have offered encouragement and words of advice, it's appreciated more than you know.  You're all great.  I'd like to come in during treatment and talk with all of you but, since this is totally new to me and I'm scared to death!!!!  I'm going to stay with a girlfriend at least for a couple of weeks to see how I react.  She helped her dau. and hus. during there chemo and has offered a spare bedroom....So, I'm not sure about internet connection.  She different than me.. But we'll see how it goes.   Much love to all of you.  You mean so much to me

• LoveFromPhilly
    edited February 2019

Adding myself in your pockets Snookey and 50sgirl. I haven’t had chemo but a friend of mine went onto Taxol (stage 4) and she said she felt just fine on it. We went to lunch and she gobbled up her food! 💕💕💕💕💜💜💜💜💙💙

• snooky1954
    edited February 2019

Blessings for you Philly. Appreciate the info

• tanya_djamila
    tanya_djamila Member Posts: 1,530
    edited February 2019

Snooky and 50’s I only had one taxol treatment as I was allergic to it. That was 15 years ago and I think that between taxol taxotere red devil arimidex ibrance faslodex they’ve all worked. I also think the strength and dosage of the medications have changed to make them more efficient. I’m with you both today. Take the advice of the others on this thread to get the least SE’s.

Tanya

• 50sgirl
    50sgirl Member Posts: 2,071
    edited February 2019

Thank you for you support. I had my first taxol infusion this morning, and it went off without a hitch. I hope it does it’s job.

Have a good day.

Hugs and prayers from,Lynne

• Seaway
    Seaway Member Posts: 158
    edited February 2019

Way to go 50sGirl. So glad to hear.

Cathy

• 42young
    42young Member Posts: 126
    edited February 2019

Hi, Is there anyone with stage 4 de novo started Ibrane as first line treatment? Does it show any benefits? I'm premenopause so i have take lupron, anastrozole, ibrane & zometa. Will this be a lot to take at the time? Or should I go without Ibrane first ? Please help!! Thank you

• Gumdoctor
    edited February 2019

Congratulations 50sGirl.

Thinking about you and hoping for the best.

Gumdoctor

• intolight
    intolight Member Posts: 2,338
    edited February 2019

42young, I was dxd stage iv de novo although I am post-menopausal, but I started in Ibrance / Letrozole / Zometa almost 31 months ago as a first-line treatment. I am still on the same regimen with great results. I think there is a benefit to the combination.

• JoynerL
    JoynerL Member Posts: 1,392
    edited February 2019

The very best of luck to all of you fabulous folks, with or without hair! Loved the photos. And especially to those starting new treatments. Thinking of and praying for all-

• piggy99
    piggy99 Member Posts: 183
    edited February 2019

42young, you could be me!

I was diagnosed Stage IV de novo, with bone mets last January, at 42. I started Ibrance from the beginning, with Tamoxifen at first until I had three Lupron injections (two months). Once the doctor was convinced (blood tests) that I was in induced menopause, he switched the Tamoxifen for letrozole. Last May I had an oophorectomy and that got rid of the monthly Lupron shots. I am now on Ibrance, letrozole and monthly Xgeva shots (bone strengthener). My 6+ cm breast tumor started shrinking a couple of months in, and the bone mets got less an less active on the PET. At my last scan in December nothing lit up and the breast tumor is neither visible by PET nor felt by physical examination.

Side effects have been manageable, especially after my dose got dropped to 100mg (second cycle). The hot flashes are the most bothersome for me, and sometimes I get tired and fall asleep on the couch in the evenings, but so far (knock on wood) I've been able to manage full-time school and a part-time job without too much trouble. I'm just kind of useless on the weekends and take advantage of my 7-year old's ability to fetch me things while I chill on the couch Happy.

I very much hope I can stay on this treatment for a great many years, and I wish the same for you and everyone else on this board.

• snooky1954
    edited February 2019

Piggy.  So very happy that IBRANCE worked for you.  Truly am. It started to shrink mine and then stopped so I moved on.  I too wish you many more years