Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

Ibrance (Palbociclib)

Comments

• Piemaker2
    Piemaker2 Member Posts: 37
    edited August 2015

I just finished week 1 of 125mg ibrance. Stopped due to side effects... Taking 1 week off, then trying lower dose. Hoping for no side effects🙏

• Piemaker2
    edited August 2015

yes... Let's talk..Side effects after 1 week??

• Piemaker2
    edited August 2015

yes! Hair thinning greatly, brittle after only 1 wee

• Piemaker2
    edited August 2015

just started ibrance ( have been on faslodex since May 1st) was wondering if side effects decease the longer u are on? Is anyone still working full time on ibrance and faslodex??? Mouth sores, fatigue, diarrhea, fainted, runny clear nose (like allergies!) Can I be allergic to the drug? Had migraine for 3 days... Had to stop drug! Week off and then lower dose begins... Immediately feeling better off drug. I want to go back to work so badly... I am teacher. Hoping for good news from all of u on ibrance !

• Piemaker2
    edited August 2015

yes my blue cross blue shield covered it

• JFL
    JFL Member Posts: 1,373
    edited August 2015

Piemaker, I work full time on Faslodex/Ibrance/Aromasin. No issues. I just try to wash my hands often and use sanitizer to avoid getting sick.

• Piemaker2
    edited August 2015

so very glad to hear se less after lower dose! Thank u!

• susan_02143
    susan_02143 Member Posts: 2,394
    edited August 2015

I have worked full time all ten [plus] years of this breast cancer stuff. AC, rads, Aromasin, aromasin with Faslodex, Faslodex alone, and now Femara with Ibrance. Ibrance has been the toughest so far since I have less quality brain energy each day than I am used to. I am really hoping that as my body adjusts, this will get better. Strangely, the physical side effects of aromasin were harder than this with severe bone pain, and the development of neuropathy. No hair loss on my head, no brittle hair. I am still on the 125mg. Oncologist wants me to stay at full dose as long as possible while still maintaining my quality of life.

There is no one response to any of these drugs. In fact, the range of experiences just in this small group is quite surprising.

*susan*

• ABeautifulSunset
    ABeautifulSunset Member Posts: 600
    edited August 2015

roses, please correct me if I am wrong. I looked at your graph and it looks like your markers dropped at the third reading, not the fourth. I also started in April but my markers are still going up as of August. I just want to make sure I have the correct info because I have a big decision to make and I want to take everything I to consideration.

Thanks.

Stefanie

• Max_otto
    Max_otto Member Posts: 124
    edited August 2015
    Stefanie,
    Are you considering your scans along with tumor markers? I will be doing my first scan and the next set of tumor makers on Monday? On Wednesday, I will meet with the ONC for an assessment and status. I am thinking about the questions to ask, right now I feel fine with minimal SE's, however, that doesn't mean everything is okay. Do you feel the tumor markers are more important than the ct scan (or scans) ? When you say, markers are increasing, what does your ONC say about this, is it normal with the hormonal protocols?

Kathy
  • ShetlandPony
    ShetlandPony Member Posts: 3,063
    edited August 2015

Has anyone's onc discussed 125 mg vs. 100 mg dose and effectiveness? Do you know if the patient's weight matters? Or if dose is related to fatigue level? At my last appointment my NP said they would try me again at 125mg for my next cycle. I feel like they will have to convince me that it really is important to go back to 125mg.

• duck1255
    duck1255 Member Posts: 15
    edited August 2015

I think the dose is more based on WBC and ANC even more so the complete neutriphils. I did one cycle at 125 stopped early. Restarted at 100 completed cycle waited 2 weeks for counts to come up then did second cycle at 100 completed and had to wait 2 weeks to restart. Forth cycle at 75 counts at 15 days were good will have blood work this Friday along with scans to see if it is working. I am taking it along with Femara. No real SE problems except for blood counts

• ABeautifulSunset
    edited August 2015

I asked my ONC about the dosage and he said in the trials both doses (125 and 100) had equivalent results.

Kathy, my tumor markers run in low numbers, but the fact they they are moving after being stable for three years does seem to tell a story. The scans are more important than the tumor markers. Some dr.s don't even use them. Also, some peoples markers are sensitive to the cancers and others aren't, so it's all individual with regards to that. I also have a scan tomorrow. I am having total anxiety and a little depressed this weekend. Can't wait for it to be over and know where I stand. Good luck with yours.

Stefanie

• ShetlandPony
    edited August 2015

Aha! That's what I wanted to hear about doses, Stefanie. I'll be thinking of you tomorrow. They will call you tomorrow with scan results, right?

• RosesToeses
    RosesToeses Member Posts: 244
    edited August 2015

Stefanie, I guess you're right, my markers jumped 20 points the appointment when I stopped the Faslodex and then kept going up twice more while on Letrozole/Ibrance--in my head, I'm thinking 3 jumps, but it was only twice more after the switch.

About the 125 vs. 100 vs. 75, it definitely worries me since I'm now on the 75s, but it was my white blood cells rather than discomfort that forced the changes. Even on the 100s I was barely keeping out of hospitalization numbers for a few weeks there, so I try to remember it really makes no sense to fight cancer just to die of sepsis.

Also, I've definitely had the allergy like runny nose as the cycle goes on. I don't think it's a true allergy, though, just part of the general nose/throat/stomach irritation.

I'll be a lot happier to get results from my scans this week and know more about what's going on. Wishing everyone good luck with them, sounds like a whole lot of us are getting scans this week!

• ABeautifulSunset
    edited August 2015

I am fortunate that my DH is a physician with friends in the biz. I GEt my results same day, and often immediately. If the radiologist isn't busy he'll bring us in his office and show us the images himself.

When I had my last MRI the dr. was giving my husband the results (not good ones) before I even got off the table. My ONC says he can't keeping with us, as we get things done faster than he can. Lol.

I'm hoping to have good news tomorrow. Right now I'm just freaking out a bit

• Myra1211
    Myra1211 Member Posts: 532
    edited August 2015

Good luck tomorrow Steph. You will be in mt thoughts and prayers. Myra.

• jobur
    jobur Member Posts: 494
    edited August 2015

Stefajoy, Roses, and Kathy,

Wishing you all good results on your upcoming scans. Sending positive thoughts your way.

• Lynnwood1960
    Lynnwood1960 Member Posts: 1,107
    edited August 2015

Wishing best of luck to Steph and Roses as they get their scans. Prayers said for positive results

• Myra1211
    Myra1211 Member Posts: 532
    edited August 2015

Sorry Roses, good luck to you as well. All the best thoughts and prayers. Myra.

• pearlady
    pearlady Member Posts: 390
    edited August 2015

Prayers for everyone getting scans tomorrow.

• RosesToeses
    RosesToeses Member Posts: 244
    edited August 2015

Good luck today with the scans, Stefanie and Kathy, saying prayers for both of you!

Duck1255, wishing you well on Friday, too!

And thank you, everyone, for the prayers and good wishes for my scans on Thursday (results on Friday--Stefanie, that's really great that you don't have to wait for yours!)

• Kaption
    Kaption Member Posts: 2,934
    edited August 2015
    Hi Ladies, I have been reading this board for about two months and learned so much. I am on my last week of my third round of Ibrance (with Femara). My counts have allowed me to stay at 125 mg. I've had the same fatigue as most of you. My only weird thing has been low sodium counts.
    The past few days I have experienced feeling faint. I can usually sit, eat something ( usually salty) and then recover. I noticed many of you take your Ibrance at night. I'm wondering if that would help. Any suggestions?
    Prayers to all getting scan results this week.
    Kaption
  • CAROL1MAINE
    CAROL1MAINE Member Posts: 13
    edited August 2015

thank you kaption just got ct scan results profession so now I am to start faslodex and ibrance. Only one concerned because I am on coumadin. Anyone else take deep muscle shots on coumadin. She is going to have me stay sitting on ice packs for one hour after shots. I had faslodex 4 years ago worked great for 18 months. Hope these new buggers were not around 4 years ago to become drug resistant.thanks for this sight you lady's are all so helpful.

• cjanet
    cjanet Member Posts: 288
    edited August 2015

Good luck Stefajoy, Roses, and Kathy on your scans this week. Stefanie, hoping you check in today.

I've only taken the Ibrance twice now, so no major effects yet, though I do feel "funny" and have been sleeping more.

• JFL
    JFL Member Posts: 1,373
    edited August 2015

ShetlandPony, my once told me that he has spoken to a lot of people running the Ibrance trials and they are not seeing a difference in efficacy with lower doses.

• ShetlandPony
    edited August 2015

Thank you so much, JFL.

• mimipickle
    mimipickle Member Posts: 160
    edited August 2015

Cristina, I just finished cycle 2 and I didn't notice much first cycle but this one I think I was feeling kinda tired the third week.

• car2tenn
    car2tenn Member Posts: 132
    edited August 2015

Dear Ibrance gang,

My doctor last week said they are seeing efficacy at all levels of Ibrance. I was unable to stay at 125 and am now on 100mg. I am either unobservant or lucky as I have few side effects from Ibrance/Femara and I am starting the 4th cycle. However, my hair is much more fragile and I am sure there are other small changes yet to come. Stll happy with this medication. I hope I get the full run of it. Carolyn from Music City

• mdillard04
    mdillard04 Member Posts: 83
    edited August 2015

Hi ladies... Just about to finish up Cycle 2 and it hasn't been too bad. Still on 125mg. I am starting to lose long strands of hair. I had a really bad joint pain in my hands for about a week but it subsided. The skin on my hands and feet are really dry and are starting to peel on the palms. I take a Zoladex shot monthly so the menopausal symptoms are killer and I don't get much sleep. I was put on effexor which is supposed to help with the night sweats and hot flashes. I also developed acid reflux. What's good to take for that? I was told to get Zantac, but wanted to get some other opinions. I also switched my care to Johns Hopkins as I was not happy with the care I was recieving. Blood work looks good.. Whatever that means... Hence apart of the reason I switched... Very difficult getting access to my information or clear explanation on my results. I learned more from you all then the oncology team I left... Whew... Thanks for letting me vent. Sending all those waiting for results positive vibes.

Monika