Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

Ibrance (Palbociclib)

Comments

• susan_02143
    susan_02143 Member Posts: 2,394
    edited August 2015

Max,

I get two markers done... the CEA [which has not been that useful for me] and the CA27.29 [which has been eerily accurate.] One time someone ran the CA125 by mistake.

Hope that helps.... Enjoy your travels!!!

*susan*

• Lynnwood1960
    Lynnwood1960 Member Posts: 1,107
    edited August 2015

I only get the CA 27/29 and it has also been very accurate for me. I believe this test is specific to breast cancer only

• ShetlandPony
    ShetlandPony Member Posts: 3,063
    edited August 2015

My onc only uses CA 27-29 for me. It has been very accurate, corresponding to scans and exams.

• dlb823
    dlb823 Member Posts: 2,701
    edited August 2015

I get a CA27-29 monthly, which has always been incredibly accurate for me. If my TMs are on the rise, as they have been recently, I also get a CEA as sort of a cross-check.

• pearlady
    pearlady Member Posts: 390
    edited August 2015

I get CA27/29 and CEA.  They have always been extremely accurate for me which is why I don't scan as often as some do. My onc also does something called Circulating Tumor Cells (CTC) which not too many Drs. do.  My onc says he uses it as a cross check.

• annieoakley
    annieoakley Member Posts: 653
    edited August 2015

Susan, the CA125 is the only one that works for me, it is not only for ovarian cancer, it detects breast cancer as well. The CEA and CA15-3 are well within the normal range for me.

Pearlady, that is great that your onc does circulating tumor cells as well.

• RosesToeses
    RosesToeses Member Posts: 244
    edited August 2015

Sorry you didn't get unqualified good news, Kathy, but I guess it's better than unequivocal bad news, right? Have a wonderful vacation!

Like a lot of us, my onc runs the CA27/29 and it seems to be pretty accurate for me.

• Max_otto
    Max_otto Member Posts: 124
    edited August 2015

Susan, Lynwood, ShetlandPony, dlb823, Annie and Pearlady,
    Thanks for responding and Pearlady, I am going to ask my onc about CTC. I don't know if she will be receptive, but I can ask.

Something my onc said which I found interesting was that I had a indolent Cancer, evidenced my by 20 plus years of BC and its type. She also remarked that this is true for many of us.

She is affiliated with a teaching hospital and has published and trained future onc's so I assume she is correct.
    At least I won't be leaving the planet in the near future.

😊😍😊

Kathy
  • RosesToeses
    RosesToeses Member Posts: 244
    edited August 2015

Now that is good news about the indolent! Hope you get many, many years off of your cancer's laziness!

• hopeful34
    hopeful34 Member Posts: 522
    edited August 2015

KK- Great News! I am very happy for you.

• 3Holly
    3Holly Member Posts: 201
    edited August 2015

KK'sMom - thanks for that info, I looked up Zolidex and it sounds similar to Tamoxifen which I was on for 5 years. I wonder if they are adding Ibrance to Tamoxifen as well now. Hope you continue to have great results!

Interesting that my oncologists don't put much faith in TM's since it sounds like many of you have had accurate TM's. I guess my scan at end of Aug will tell me for sure whether the decreasing TM's were misleading or not.

Thanks, everyone, for sharing that reflex/heartburn info, Ibrance definitely aggravates it, but it's manageable. Sometimes I notice that my bra shrinks in the wash, and the tightness makes the heartburn much worse, believe it or not, so watch the restrictive clothing. Miss the tea, but luckily I am still able to have my morning coffee (though I always make sure I have toast first so that I don't have it on an empty stomach).

Going to the Red Sox, and then the Cape for a couple of days, looking forward to a couple of relaxing days at the beach with my family and friends. Stay well, everyone, and have a great weekend!

• SouthernBelle34
    SouthernBelle34 Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2015

Hi ladies! I have not posted in a long time. I was originally diagnosed stage II in August 2013, had double mx, 4 rounds of TC and 35 radiation treatments. I thought I had kicked this crap, but was diagnosed stage IV with mets in spine, pelvis and liver on July 23, 2015. I started Lupron a week later, along with Xgeva. I then started letrazole a week after that, and started Ibrance this past Saturday. So far so good. Also started radiation on August 10, only radiation to L2 vertebrae that is causing pain. Pearlady, you are my new hero, 14 years is SO exciting to me, since I am 36 and have a 3 year old son! My question is regarding work. My MO said she is ok with work, but not ok with stress. I have the option to go back to work 4 days a week, but my job is stressful. I am concerned that the stress of my job will allow this cancer to progress. Pear lady and others who work, do you have low stress jobs? Do you do something specific to manage stress? I want to live to see my son grow up way more than anything else

• 513mgv
    513mgv Member Posts: 54
    edited August 2015

congratulations kksmom, I started my insurance and letrozole tonight. I have had lots of stiffness and joint pain with the Andrade. Marilyn

• 513mgv
    edited August 2015

that was supposed to be ibrance and letrozole, auto spell check I hate it.

• JFL
    JFL Member Posts: 1,373
    edited August 2015

SouthernBelle, I also work full time at a demanding, high pressure job. I was diagnosed at stage 4 at 38. I have learned to make adjustments. I try not to let things get to me, work hard but don't ruminate over conversations/interactions/responses like I used to. I also try to get enough sleep, exercise 3 times a week, eat healthy, do deep breathing exercises, prayer and yoga to minimize stress. I also make it a point to take mini breaks at work - to take a walk around the floor or go run errands at lunch sometimes to get away from my desk. It is all easier said than done and I have set backs, but I feel much better leading my "normal" life while I still can. Also, between my demanding job and 7 month old baby, I often forget for chunks of time throughout the day that I have stage 4 cancer. It is a positive mental break to focus on something else, which I find therapeutic.

• KKsMom
    KKsMom Member Posts: 6
    edited August 2015

Has anyone asked their oncologist about flu shots? I typically get one every year, but I wonder with the low white counts we are all experiencing from Ibrance if that's even possible? I will ask my MO at my next appointment, but wanted to know if any of you has any info to share on this?

Southern Belle,  I worked with my HR partner at work and MO on a plan for intermittent FMLA (most importantly for job protection), so I can be out when I need to. You may already know this, but if not, you need to do this. You can also ask for accomodations under ADA. I did this as well. Examples of accomodations I asked for -  work from home options when needed (fortunately only used a few days in the beginning of treatment); moved my office closer to the elevators & to the bathrooms. I am all about trying to make this as easy as possible and stress free as possible. I have regular conversations with my boss (he's great) and my HR partner re: work load and other things that can cause stress, and how we can manage it as a team. Exercise helps, too. That's something I've got to get better at! Good luck to you!

• Kaption
    Kaption Member Posts: 2,934
    edited August 2015
    Has anyone else had problems with feeling faint? I'm at the end of my third round of Ibrance. I know my sodium is a little low. Anyone else?
    Thanks!
  • pearlady
    edited August 2015

SouthernBelle I agree with what JFL has said.  I also have a stressful job.  Sometimes in the mid-afternoon if I get tired, I find that if I go outside and walk around the block or sit outside for a few minutes, it allows me time to de-stress.  And a bit of fruit and a cup of coffee seems to do wonders.  I meditate nightly which has helped with getting rid of stress and also helps me to sleep better.  Someone once told me that we all have stress, but its how we handle it and knowing how to let go of it that is key.  When I was diagnosed with Stage 1V I never thought I'd be able to be here 14 years later.  With all of the new treatments and the promise of more, I'm hoping that we all have options for many years to come.  I also believe that the multitude of supplements that I take have helped me to manage this much better.

KKs mom interesting question.  I am going to ask my onc about it.  I used to get every year and for the last few years haven't gotten, but I do take a lot of immune boosting supplements which I think has helped protect me.

• Piemaker2
    Piemaker2 Member Posts: 37
    edited August 2015

Thank you I am a teacher and hoping to return for at least part of this year ... Beginning in Sept... Starting 100 dosage tomorrow! 8/15/15 do u think it is possible ??

• Piemaker2
    edited August 2015

Yes i actually did faint, brush burned my head .. Now beginning lower dose

• Piemaker2
    edited August 2015

You are a superhero in my eyes! God bless you ! I hope I can be like you when I begin Ibrance tomorrow!

• Piemaker2
    edited August 2015

So encouraging ... Thank you. Do the side effects get less as time goes in?

• Piemaker2
    edited August 2015

I'm curious why you are on 75 rather than 100

• dlb823
    dlb823 Member Posts: 2,701
    edited August 2015

About flu shots... I had asked my onc about a shingles shot after one of my friends recently got shingles and was urging all of her friends to get the vaccine. I was told it probably wouldn't be a bad idea, but that a flu shot and a pneumonia shot later in the year should definitely be considered, but any vaccines must done when counts are highest. I have always been anti-vaccines, but remembering how sick I was when I was re-dx'd and how painful it was to breath or cough with rib mets, I will probably bite the bullet and get the flu shot and maybe pneumonia too.

• Piemaker2
    edited August 2015

What supplements do u take?

• Piemaker2
    edited August 2015

Congrats and thank you for your encouraging words 

• pearlady
    edited August 2015

Piemaker I take numerous supplements as recommended by my Onc and by my holistic pharmacist.  Some of them have helped to keep my counts high.  If you check earlier in the thread you will see details.  If you want additional details you can PM me.

• Max_otto
    Max_otto Member Posts: 124
    edited August 2015
    Question..
    Has anyone had blood draws outside the U.S. ? I'm traveling for five weeks and will need 2 blood draws. I'm encountering some difficulty but think it's solvable.
    Please PM me.

Thanks,
    Kathy
  • 513mgv
    edited August 2015

Doo probiotics or fiber help with the diarrhea. Marilyn

• Lynnwood1960
    Lynnwood1960 Member Posts: 1,107
    edited August 2015

Tumor markers 80 on July 21st, 64 on Tuesday. Started at 203 in April before Ibrance. Bring on cycle 5!!