Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

Ibrance (Palbociclib)

Comments

• Kaption
    Kaption Member Posts: 2,934
    edited August 2015

Thank you! I'll talk to my onc about it.

• RosesToeses
    RosesToeses Member Posts: 244
    edited August 2015

Happy for you, Lynnwood, great news! Myra, good luck and let us know how it goes.

Also, about working, I work my usual 30 hours a week and have no problems with it. I'm more tired as the 21 days goes on, but it's not that bad for me, just means an earlier bedtime.

• susan_02143
    susan_02143 Member Posts: 2,394
    edited August 2015

Hi All,

I am on day 6 of round 3 and day 5 was NOT miserable! The last two rounds, day 5 was my nausea-I-feel-lie-crap-day and this month it wasn't. I am quite gleeful [taking whatever I can.] I managed to work at a client office for 8 hrs, then do several more hours after I got back to my own office. I did fall asleep a half hour earlier than "normal" but I can easily live with this. I am quite encouraged.

I have sent out all my positive wishes to the women of this thread who are getting scans this week. It seems to me that we all share the fervent wish that this drug will help all of us reach stable, if not NED.

Putting one foot ahead of the other here in MA, *susan*

• pearlady
    pearlady Member Posts: 390
    edited August 2015

Sending out positive energy for all of us getting scans this week.  Very stressful time but its great to hear some good news.  My good news is that my recent TMs were lower.  My onc does put a lot of faith in them for me since they've always been spot on and my scans have always reflected my tumor markers in the 14 years that I've been Stage 1V, but I know that is not the case for everyone.

Kaption I spoke with the pharmacist at CVS Caremark and to someone at Pfizer regarding acid reflux and what medications are okay while on Ibrance.  They were very helpful.  I was told before taking Ibrance that there could be some issues with absorption of the Ibrance and that's why its best to take as far apart and as infrequently as possible. 

Holly I've found that same thing with tea that it sometimes intensifies the problem.  And I also love tea. Also pineapple for me is an issue so I've stopped eating it entirely.  And the strange thing is coffee is okay.  

Have a great day everyone.  Its beautiful here today in NYC.

• dlb823
    dlb823 Member Posts: 2,701
    edited August 2015

About the reflux problem... I had that a couple of nights ago (I take my Ibrance right after dinner), and a natural product I keep around called Calmicid by Melaleuca resolved it quickly for me. Prior to Ibrance, the few rare heartburn episodes I've had seemed to be set off by green pepper or coffee, both of which I now avoid at night. So I'm far from an experienced user of these types of products, but the one I mentioned, which you can find on-line, is inexpensive and chewing a few tablets has always helped me instantly. Just a possible natural alternative I thought I'd pass along if your problem isn't serious enough to require a pharmaceutical.

• pearlady
    edited August 2015

Thanks for the information Dlb.  I always prefer to take natural when I can.  Also for me if the problem isn't too intense I have found that plain greek yogurt helps. 

• Kaption
    edited August 2015

thank you, pear lady!

• KKsMom
    KKsMom Member Posts: 6
    edited August 2015

I got my PET scan results today after having completed 4 rounds of Ibrance/Letrozole. Just a little background first. . .My initial PET scan in February showed my 6 cm breast tumor (SUV 11.4), plus a second focus on the left breast (no SUV # given on the report).Some lymph nodes showed SUV as high as 4.2 with other tiny nodal metastasis. It showed multiple bone metastases in the thoracic and lumbar vertebra, ilium, & ischium ranging from 6.8 SUV to 9.3 SUV. Today's results are:  a complete metabolic response to treatment, including healing to the damage from the bone mets, and no new metastases identified. I can't stop crying.  No evidence of disease (but doc still made it clear that these sneaky cancer cells are lurking and we have to pursue them). I will remain on my treatment regimen of Ibrance/Letrozole, Zoladex & Zometa until we have to seek something else. Happy and thanking God for this success, but I know this is a life long battle. Here's to Ibrance and all new treatments in the pipeline! Hoping they give us many,many years!!

• cjanet
    cjanet Member Posts: 288
    edited August 2015

KKs mom Awesome news!!!!!!!

• mimipickle
    mimipickle Member Posts: 160
    edited August 2015

KKsMom-that's fantastic!

• dlb823
    dlb823 Member Posts: 2,701
    edited August 2015

KKsMom, no wonder you can't stop crying! NED -- that's phenomenal! I'm just about crying reading your news! Hugs, Deanna

• pearlady
    edited August 2015

KKsMom so happy for your great news.  Hope you will be dancing with NED for many years to come.

• Lynnwood1960
    Lynnwood1960 Member Posts: 1,107
    edited August 2015

KKsMom, FANTASTIC!!! So happy for you!!! Cry all you want to, these are tears of joy!! Don't forget to celebrate

• mdillard04
    mdillard04 Member Posts: 83
    edited August 2015

KKsMom... That is fantastic news!! I am so happy for you!!! I smiled big for you!!

• Max_otto
    Max_otto Member Posts: 124
    edited August 2015

KKsMom,,

Wonderful, great news...

Dance with joy,

Tomorrow, I will find out my results.

• Kaption
    edited August 2015
    So wonderful, KKsMom!!
  • Romansma
    Romansma Member Posts: 650
    edited August 2015

Had to stop by to congratulate you, Kksmom. I'm getting a little misty eyed here. We all hope for responses like you are having. Enjoy this! So happy for you

• theziz
    theziz Member Posts: 134
    edited August 2015

WaHoooo that is a great new KKsmom, congratulations I'm very happy for you.

Take care

• susan_02143
    susan_02143 Member Posts: 2,394
    edited August 2015

KK, This is such great news! We all hope to have this response. *susan*

• ShetlandPony
    ShetlandPony Member Posts: 3,063
    edited August 2015

KKsMom! Woohoo! That's fantastic! Makes my day.

• babs6287
    babs6287 Member Posts: 1,619
    edited August 2015

KKsMom

Such great news!!!! Do a happy dance!!!!!!

Hoping everyone getting scans this week gets similar results!!!!

Babs

• 3Holly
    3Holly Member Posts: 201
    edited August 2015

KK's Mom - great news, congrats!!! I wondered whether you had success with the letrozole by itself also, or did you switch to the Ibrance/letrozole after the letrozole alone failed? Did you start the Zolodex at the same time as the Ibrance/letrozole? Great to hear of your success, and let's hope for more stories like yours.

Romansma, I think of you often and hope you are doing well on your new drug.

Everyone, good luck with your scans, and try to keep your mind off them even though it's hard to do. I try to keep my mind occupied with anything but scans and hospitals - this does help me a lot in dealing with scan anxiety, though I still dread having the scans.

• RosesToeses
    RosesToeses Member Posts: 244
    edited August 2015

Wow, KKsmom that is really terrific news, congratulations on your wonderful scans!

• artistatheart
    artistatheart Member Posts: 1,437
    edited August 2015

I am glad to jump in here as I will be starting the hemera/ibrance combo in a few days. Will keep everyone posted on side effects. I can put up with a lot if it helps shrink the tumors or holds things at bay.

• Lynnwood1960
    edited August 2015

Artist, I have found this combination very tolerable. Fatigue is my biggest issue but I just try to push through it. Some stiffness and aches in my hands from the Femara, no serious side effects at all! Hoping the same for you

• pearlady
    edited August 2015

I agree.  This combo is very tolerable.  I am usually a very high energy person.  Some letdown with energy at the end of the day, but really not terrible.  I also am experiencing stiffness from the Femara.  The same I had when I was taking Femara for almost five years previously. 

• Lynnwood1960
    edited August 2015

pear lady, me too! I immediately recognized those familiar pains! Easy to distinguish from bone mets pain

• pearlady
    edited August 2015

Absolutely.  Not really pain, but stiffness  But for me Arimidex was so much worse. 

• KKsMom
    KKsMom Member Posts: 6
    edited August 2015

Hey 3Holly, to answer your question about when I started the meds. . . I received my initial breast cancer diagnosis one week and then when my  scans came back we added bone mets to the mix.  I started the letrozole/zometa/zoladex around the same time and then added the Ibrance about 10 days later, if I remember correctly. I'm 45 and had a partial hysterectomy in 2005, which of course allowed me to keep my ovaries (Hindsight I wish they would have taken these estrogen producing jokers,too!), so I was borderline menopausal (numbers met the definition but without "evidence" that a uterus can provide). I think they wanted the zoladex in my system just to be on the safe side before I started the Ibrance. My PET scan on Monday was the first scan to measure treatment effectiveness since diagnosis.  Hope this answers your question.

Good luck to all. Praying for good news or new plans for everyone.

• Max_otto
    Max_otto Member Posts: 124
    edited August 2015

Hello everyone,

My first assessment results came back and I would call it mixed. There is possibly some progression in the pleura (ct scan), however, no mets to any organ or bone.

My TM's , there are 3, one is normal, one is slightly elevated and one high.

At present I'm not considered stable but it's only been 3 months since DX, and I'm feeling great and will be leaving on a lengthy trip out of the country. My onc had no problem with the trip as long as I have blood test every 2 weeks, so now I can send pics of medical clinics along with the usual stuff. I can be assured my kids will find them fascinating.

I will continue on this protocol and scan again in NOV.

I have a question out of curiosity on TM's. My TM's are CA15-3, CA125 and CEA.

When someone mentions the markers I'm not sure which ones they are referring to or is it a different TM. Are these markers common or are there many ofthem?

Kathy