Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Ibrance (Palbociclib)

Options

Comments

• apackoftwo
    apackoftwo Member Posts: 64
    edited March 2015
    Options

what are alkaline numbers?

• Romansma
    Romansma Member Posts: 650
    edited March 2015
    Options

In what context, apackoftwo

• lenn13ka
    lenn13ka Member Posts: 103
    edited March 2015
    Options

I have mild nausea in the morning starting about half way through. I drink a Kavita pro biotic drink and it usually takes care of it. I still have the cold I started at the beginning of this cycle. I had to have early blood work and a chest X-ray but everything is OK. There is a nasty bug going around, I just can't seem to shake it. One good thing to report, my energy is much better this cycle. Only 3 days lefts and I have not had any bad fatique like last cycle.Good luck with your "puppy" , Romansma. I hope everything is OK with her

• apackoftwo
    edited March 2015
    Options

not sure, I read a post where someone said their alkaline numbers were being tested?? and I had never heard of it. Wondered if it had something to do with what many of the natural therapies say about keeping the body in an alkaline state to promote healing.

• Romansma
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hmmm, Part of the cbc is Alkaline Phosfatase, maybe that is what was being referred to? If so, I believe these are in reference to the liver function, mostly, but also sometimes refers to bone disease, as well

• Myra1211
    Myra1211 Member Posts: 532
    edited March 2015
    Options

I am the one with the alkaline phosphate being tested. It has to do with your liver functions and your bone disease. People with bone disease may have elevated levels of this in their blood. My MO tests for it when I have my CBC. it had been very elevated, but this time had come down almost 100 pts. More blood tests today, the black and blue from last week still has not gone away! Hopefully CBC is stable. Off to drink water to pump up those veins.....cheers! Myr

• apackoftwo
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thanks Romansma and Myra 1211 - I know my doc is testing my liver enzymes (still normal even with met) and maybe that is a part of it - I do worry about my bones as I have mets in spine, ribs, pelvis - they are stable right now - but I cannot take Xgeva or Zometa due to very bad reactions to both.

• pearlady
    pearlady Member Posts: 390
    edited March 2015
    Options

Had some good news today.  Finished my first cycle of Ibrance/Femara last Wednesday.  As of last Friday, my TMs, which are always very reliable, have dropped almost 100 points.  Have slightly low platelets.  RIght now he said to continue with next cycle at full dosage.   Keeping my fingers crossed for all of us.

• Myra1211
    edited March 2015
    Options

So happy you had such good results. My CBC today sucked after 2 weeks, took me off Ibrance for a week to see if they recover and then will start on lower dose next week. This stress is the worst!

• pearlady
    edited March 2015
    Options

Myra

My WBC was slightly low last week after completion of my first cycle of Ibrance, so I did two doses of Neupogen.  Today they were normal.  I really haven't had any side effects with Neupogen, so I will continue that as needed.  I am concerned with the low Platelets as I don't want to have to go on a lower dosage of Ibrance and I don't know of anything to take for platelets other than some herbal supplements.  I've contacted my holistic pharmacist to see if he can assist.  For right now, my onc wants me to start my next cycle at the same dosage, but I'm sure will be watching the  platelets.

It does stink having to worry about all of this.

• 3Holly
    3Holly Member Posts: 201
    edited March 2015
    Options

Good to hear the TM's were down. I heard from my friend who read the results of the Pennsylvania study that the Ibrance was effective even for those who had to drop the dosage.

• Myra1211
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thank you so much 3Holly I needed some cheering up

• Romansma
    edited March 2015
    Options

Wow, Pearlady, Awesome news. Hope your blood cooperates!

Myra, I'm sorry. I worry about this too! I had my blood drawn today and started on cycle 2 tonight. Do you mind my asking what your counts were that caused him to lower your dose?

• 3Holly
    3Holly Member Posts: 201
    edited March 2015
    Options

It's true, my friend is a great researcher and found out about the Ibrance for me and read the Pennsylvania study. Try not to get stressed, I really believe that dealing with stress is key and I wish I had learned how long ago - what helps me is getting outside, walking, listening to music, eating right (colorful veggies and greens), and reading a good book to get your mind off it and get to sleep (I just started "The Boys in the Boat "- about the American crew team that won the1936 Olympics).

• Myra1211
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hope my WBC WAS 1.6 and ANC 0.6. The weird thing is I don't feel exceptionally tired or weak. I feel like my body is failing me on clues that something is wrong!

3holly, my TMs were down after only one week, so I had great hope. Accdg to RN, they expect this and we will work it out. I am very blessed to have an MO and RN who really care about me and are watching closely.

• Myra1211
    edited March 2015
    Options

Pearlady, a holistic pharmacist? I can't even find a naturapath in Ft. Lauderdale. Would you mind sharing some of his insights with us

• Romansma
    edited March 2015
    Options

So, Myra, you were 2 weeks in? My counts were lower, but towards the end of the 3rd week, so no change in dosage. I am hoping our bodies adjust a little and don't keep taking such nosedives in blood counts.

I've been having pretty intense night sweats during my week off from Ibrance. I wake up soaked. I've been thinking it's the Letrazole, but I've ever reach reacted like this before.

Off to the races on cycle 2

• Myra1211
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hope, yes it was down after 16 days.

• Romansma
    edited March 2015
    Options

I hope it does better this cycle. We didn't check mine mid cycle, so no way of knowing. I was at 1.2 wbc and .6 anc on day 20. Seems this combo hits the counts hard and that may be the downside of it. I have high hopes for it, but it's hitting blood counts as hard as IV chemo

• pearlady
    edited March 2015
    Options

Myra my onc is a traditional Dr. who also treats with alternative/complementary.  He works with a pharmacist in NYC where his patients obtain their supplements.  The staff there is very knowledgable and helpful. For example, my issue with this combo is apparently low platelets.  I had this issue on Abraxane also and he recommended Ashwaghanda twice a day which did help.  For this combo he also recommended I add Astragalus and Vitamin C.  He has been helpful in recommending other supplements for various issues I've had in the past.  I will PM you the details.  He will ship overnght if you order a minimum amount.  Not sure what the amount is but not very much.

Starting my second cycle tomorrow and hoping it continues to work with minimal side effects.  Best to all.

• Romansma
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thanks for that info, Pearlady. Keep it coming. I have astragalus, but haven't been taking it. Time to add it back in to the pill box

• pearlady
    edited March 2015
    Options

Romansma he said to take it with Vitamin C 1000mg twice a day.  I know that Vitamin C helps for the platelets since when I had issues with nosebleeds in the past, the Vitamin C stopped them almost instantly.

• nancyh
    nancyh Member Posts: 185
    edited March 2015
    Options

Pearllady - congrats on your TMs, that is great news!!

• Romansma
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thanks Pearlady, I will do that and see how it goes. I had my blood drawn yesterday and will have it done again Tuesday. Hoping to see some improvement.

• pearlady
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thank you Nancy.  Hoping it continues for all of us.

• apackoftwo
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Myra 1211 - as I posted earlier I saw a new oncologist last week - it was a fairly quick visit since she was just fitting me in - she did bring up Ibrance and I mentioned the side effect of low white blood count - she said it was true and the major thing to watch but she also said that even with the low counts not one person in the study got an infection. Wonder what is up with that?

• apackoftwo
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Pearlady - I am interested in the herb ashwaghanda as I have heard that it is also helpful for fatigue - I am still taking Xeloda and the fatigue is a monster - but, my concern is hearing that certain herbs are contraindicated to breast cancer - I would assume since this is a holistic pharmacist working with an medical onc that it is safe to take. I have ER+.

• Myra1211
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thx apackoftwo very interesting. I am feeling fine as stated which really confuses me. Myra

• Romansma
    edited March 2015
    Options

Myra, were your red counts low too? Maybe that has something to do with why you don't feel the low counts.

• Myra1211
    edited March 2015
    Options

My RBC counts were good, platelets were low