Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

Ibrance (Palbociclib)

Comments

• Hummingbird4
    Hummingbird4 Member Posts: 220
    edited August 2015

Lynnwood1960 - great news! I am happy to hear about such a drop in your tumor markers. Mine have doubled during my first cycle on ibrance/femara to over 200, but I'm hoping that they will begin to drop as I go along. I love hearing good news like yours, makes me more hopeful.

• Lynnwood1960
    Lynnwood1960 Member Posts: 1,107
    edited August 2015

Hummingbird, they must be seeing the rise in tumor markers in the beginning of treatment because they told me to not be upset if it happened. They said many times you will see an increase first and then a decrease. In my case, I had no increase

• 513mgv
    513mgv Member Posts: 54
    edited August 2015

way to go Lynnwood

• Hummingbird4
    edited August 2015

Thanks for letting me know that Lynnwood. I feel better hearing that. That's what I am going to think is happening.

• ShetlandPony
    ShetlandPony Member Posts: 3,063
    edited August 2015

My TMs have been in normal range since taxol, but this week for the first time they are down to my 2011 baseline! (5 Ibrance cycles))

• babs6287
    babs6287 Member Posts: 1,619
    edited August 2015

Lynwood

That's really great!!!!

Babs

• Hummingbird4
    edited August 2015

ShetlandPony, that is such fantastic news about your TMs! A lot of positive results coming in from Ibrance!! I love hearing this.

• Piemaker2
    Piemaker2 Member Posts: 37
    edited August 2015

I just received my bottle today and I am full of anxiety and fear😔but reading positive results encourages me ... I CAN DO THIS AND I WILL DO THIS AND I WILL DO THIS WELL. I will return to work in Sept as a teacher and I will be as positive as I possibly can ... As soon as I stop crying! I will begin after dinner tonight on a full stomach! Thank you everyone for posting good things honestly 😀

• Piemaker2
    edited August 2015

one of my greatest fears too I know it seems not important, until you are the one without hair, right? I love having hair too❤️Hope I can keep mine also

• Piemaker2
    edited August 2015

can you drink wine on Ibrance????

• Hummingbird4
    edited August 2015

Piemaker2, Yes - that's the attitude!!! I also was a teacher - until January, when I went out on disability retirement. I just want to mention that there is a good possibility that your blood counts will drop with this treatment, so you may want to be extra careful to protect yourself agains all the germs in the school building. But I also want to say that in my 2 years of 4 different treatments so far, this Ibrance/femara combo is BY FAR the easiest. Wishing you good luck, and try not to worry.

• Piemaker2
    edited August 2015

aww thank you so much !!! Good luck to you also. Praying for everyone!!

• RosesToeses
    RosesToeses Member Posts: 244
    edited August 2015

Lynnwood, that's terrific! Happy for your great news!

I got my CT Scan results yesterday and, like Kathy, they were mostly good but a little mixed. I had some small growth in my liver, but my onc feels since it's small and I've been on and off of Ibrance trying to get my white blood cells where they need to be, it's worth giving it a little longer now that the cells are where they need to be.

Interesting, my onc now thinks that when Ibrance does give out, the next step will most likely be everolimus/exemestane instead of a straight shot to Xeloda. But hopefully the Ibrance/letrozole will start making a difference and go for a while before then.

• Lynnwood1960
    edited August 2015

Pie, do not be afraid of Ibrance, it's really not bad! I have only had some fatigue. My hair is still the same after 4 cycles. My white count is low, not quite in normal range but I am a nurse and planning on going back to work in October. My onc has no problem with me working around a lot of sick people as long as I use common sense and universal precautions. I have strict instructions to call her immediately if my temp goes above 100. The bills don't stop when you get Cancer and I am not in a financial position to stop working, especially when my health insurance is so important right now.Roses, hopefully Ibrance will knock out that small growth on your liver! Since you have been on and off because of your counts,it might not have fully kicked in yet

• babs6287
    edited August 2015

Shetland- great news!!!!!

Roses- I'm hoping the next set of scans for you show. marked improvement!!!! My last scans were also iffy and my mo thinks the next set will be better- fingers crossed for all of us!!!!

Babs

• Piemaker2
    edited August 2015

Oh my goodness... thank you so much! You are so sweet to tell me that. I will begin tonight and I will work again! Stay strong!

• hopeful34
    hopeful34 Member Posts: 522
    edited August 2015

I got my tumor marker test results Friday and they are stable after only one month of Ibrance. Hoping it stays that way for a long time. My WBCs are only at 4 and my neutrophils are low too, so I hope since this is my off week they come up so I can continue at 125mg.

So glad to hear others are having good results as well.

• babs6287
    edited August 2015

Allison

Congrats on being stable!!! That's wonderful

Babs

• 3Holly
    3Holly Member Posts: 201
    edited August 2015

Allison, great to hear, and it is early, so the TM's may start dropping. Your blood counts should come up, mine always have fairly quickly (at least they've come up enough for taking the Ibrance again). Good luck!

Shetland - great news!

Marilyn, I am surprised if the Ibrance is causing diarrhea, that is the first I've heard of it, could it be another med? Anyway, I hope your once has told you to take Immodium - my friend had an intestinal cancer that almost killed her but is doing great now - she had to take about 12 of them a day - she swears by Immodium, and had no negative side effects even though she took more than recommended dose (her doc said it was OK).

• babs6287
    edited August 2015

FYI Every time I start my Ibrance cycle again, the first week I have BM issues but then it passes-thank god!!!

Babs

• dlb823
    dlb823 Member Posts: 2,701
    edited August 2015

Diarrhea is a listed SE of Ibrance -- 21% for those on Ibrance+Letrozole vs. 10% if on Letrozole alone. I got hit with it around my 4th or 5th day, after eating some cottage cheese. The patient insert (pg. 7) suggests limiting raw veggies, dairy and spicy foods. http://www.ibrance.com/sites/default/themes/palbo/...(palbociclib)%20Patient%20Brochure.pdf

Here's another link with some tips if this happens to you. http://www.oncolink.org/treatment/article.cfm?c=14...

• ShetlandPony
    ShetlandPony Member Posts: 3,063
    edited August 2015

And of course there is the BRAT diet: Bananas, rice, applesauce, toast. I often use it the first couple days of a new Ibrance cycle.

• Piemaker2
    edited August 2015

thank you, very encouraging!

• Piemaker2
    edited August 2015

Thank you! It helps so much to speak with all of you! Day 2 cycle 1 done

• 513mgv
    513mgv Member Posts: 54
    edited August 2015

only had the girls issues the first night and I had eaten pizza, now just a nagging headache but otherwise doing great. Sounds like this is a great bunch of women , glad for all the information, thanks Marilyn

• pearlady
    pearlady Member Posts: 390
    edited August 2015

Shetland Pony great news! 

I have intermitent diarrhea in the morning only.  Nothing terrible and I'm usually okay the remainder of the day.  I do take immodium sometimes which is very effective.   

• Lynnwood1960
    edited August 2015

I have not had any issues with diarrhea but now I know why my onc questions me about it every visit and appears surprised when I tell her no issues

• Zimmerwoman76
    Zimmerwoman76 Member Posts: 11
    edited August 2015

Hi ladies - I don't post much but I stalk this board regularly :) You all are so helpful in this crazy land of Ibrance. I started Ibrance/Femara in May. Took 125mg of Ibrance from May 23 until July 28 when it was suspended for low counts. Just started 100 mg today. Had scans done in May prior to start of the combo, then another set done last week. Doc said scans are stable, and a little bit better than they were in May as some spots in bones and lungs have decreased. Just wanted to share some positive Ibrance news. Keeping you all in my prayers!

• Lynnwood1960
    edited August 2015

Great news Zimmerwoman!

• cjanet
    cjanet Member Posts: 288
    edited August 2015

Ladies,

The nurse called me and said my WBC dropped to 2.2. What does this mean? I need to get the labs redrawn on Thursday to see where they are at for a dose reduction or to stop the meds. I don't want to stop! Any natural way to bring this back up?