Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Ibrance (Palbociclib)

Comments

• RhosgobelRabbit
    RhosgobelRabbit Member Posts: 502
    edited February 2020

BevJen, crossing fingers, toes and heart for you, for no progression! I'm so sorry for what you've been going through.

I see MO monthly for blood/visit. I was getting monthly Zometa since June 2019. February starts me getting it every 3 months. My MO does monitor TMs but Scan results seem to be her focus as well as my physical symptoms.

PS, thank you ladies regarding alcohol and Ibrance. I'm a few wine coolers in the summer kinda girl. And I have tried a cocktail my MIL makes sometimes that's whiskey and sprite, (wowza on that one, 1 of those is enough to make you very warm inside). So I don't drink often but thought it might be nice to trysomething I always wanted to on our night out :)

• JACK5IE
    JACK5IE Member Posts: 654
    edited February 2020

BevJen...hoping for the best for you. You're in my thoughts and prayers.

Re cocktails: I have a class of wine every now and then and an occasional Bloody Mary and or Mimosa.

• sondraf
    sondraf Member Posts: 1,666
    edited February 2020

I see MO monthly, with monthly blood draw and zoladex/Xgeva (I AM on that one, not the prolia, my mistake) injections. They also dispense my pills after he signs off on my bloodwork, so while theoretically I could do it all in one day in a few hours, in reality I stop by Hospital to do blood the night before and then go to chemo ward about an hour and a half before my clinic appointment.

If the appointment is late then the pharmacy is a total mess before they close and I usually choose to swing by the following morning for drug pickup (cannot wait until they release my drugs at three-month intervals!) I work/live nearby so its not a major hassle and my nurse advisor is really, really good about keeping things moving for 'her ladies'.

Its probably a bit early to know if my TMs relate to whats actually going on, but he keeps an eye on my blood and the intention is to scan at 3 month intervals (CT to start unless MRI is warranted) then move to longer intervals after a year if things are stable.

• LoveFromPhilly
    LoveFromPhilly Member Posts: 1,019
    edited February 2020

hello my friends boy what a fine little mess I have found myself in. The run down:

1) on Tuesday I noticed a feeing or sensation of stuck-ness in upper middle epigastrium.

It felt odd but I just ploughed along through my days...it felt a little bit stronger every day on Wednesday Thursday and Friday. The sensation was the same but it got increasingly worse each day. Friday night I had a lovely dinner with my friend. When I got home and into bed the area on my belly started to REALLY hurt!!

Like waves of rolling pain coming and going. My sleep was very disrupted and I also didn’t know what to do so I made a gingery smoothie with other gentle ingredients and my stomach was like oh hell no! It got worse! Diarrhea started...I had so many plans today...I saw patients, I went to a yoga workshop, then to karaoke with my family and I belted our songs. I only at a small miso soup and the small snoothie all day...but the diarrhea was coming and the pain worsening!

I finally checked in to urgent care and sent me right to the ER. I am here now and they’ve given me IV fluids, iv pepcid a/c, iv atavan and I have had full xrays and just finished a cat scan with contrast. they also drew blood and are doing a stool sample.

Wow! So thorough!

I feel like after allllllll this, they’re gonna come tell me I have an ulcer or something not super insane...

I just want to be out of the discomfort and pain.

I didn’t expect my night to turn out this way!!

• GinnyO2
    GinnyO2 Member Posts: 115
    edited February 2020

Hi LoveFrom Philly

Hang in there ! I’m praying that you’ll feel better soon and they’ll find out the cause!

Keep us up!

• GinnyO2
    edited February 2020

Love FromPhilly

Are you by any chance at Fox Chase or Jefferson....? I know that Philly has a slew of great hospitals within a short distance of each other ! One of the best areas in the country for getting cutting edge health care!

• sondraf
    sondraf Member Posts: 1,666
    edited February 2020

Ohh Philly that is rough! Let's hope it's only something like gastroenteritis or an ulcer. No fever though?

Hang in there, at least you are getting aaalll sorts of scanning now. You have family or someone with you?

• BevJen
    BevJen Member Posts: 2,341
    edited February 2020

Philly,

Thinking good thoughts for you. Hope you are feeling better soon. Please let us know.

• Rosie24
    Rosie24 Member Posts: 1,026
    edited February 2020

Philly, You sure are a trooper going through with all your activities for three days after the discomfort started., I’m hoping all those tests get to the bottom of your problem. Maybe by now something is already being done for you? With you in thought and spirit!!

• 42young
    42young Member Posts: 126
    edited February 2020

Philly, I'm thinking of you & praying for you!!

• JACK5IE
    JACK5IE Member Posts: 654
    edited February 2020

Philly...hopefully you got some rest after all that and are now sleeping peacefully. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Please let us know when you can.

• simone60
    simone60 Member Posts: 952
    edited February 2020

Philly,

I hope your getting some rest. Praying it is nothing serious.

• intolight
    intolight Member Posts: 2,324
    edited February 2020

Philly, joining in the prayers for the outcome. Thankfully you are in a place to get some help.

• candy-678
    candy-678 Member Posts: 4,166
    edited February 2020

Hello all.

BevJen- Praying your TM rise is just the viruses messing with the counts. Hugs

dutchiris- I still do TM's, but just changed from monthly to every other month. My TM's steadily rose over a period of 4 months, and when scanned with CT it showed slight progression, but PET showed no uptake. So MO says TM's are not a good indicator for me and she saw no reason to do monthly anymore. We will see. I live in a small town with my MO being in my town, so I don't have to travel for appointments. I go monthly for labs, Lupron injection, and port flush-- all with nurse visit. I see the onc every 6-8 weeks for an actual office visit. And we are doing scans---CT---every 3 months.

Philly- Sorry you are feeling so icky. Hoping it is something viral and will just need to run its course.

• RhosgobelRabbit
    RhosgobelRabbit Member Posts: 502
    edited February 2020

Thinking of you Philly :) Take care of you first. Check in with us when you can.

• airlinegal
    airlinegal Member Posts: 252
    edited February 2020
    Hoping everything will be ok...keep us posted plz
  • Penny-78
    Penny-78 Member Posts: 271
    edited February 2020

Philly sending prayers your way!

And yours too BenJev!

Hugs to all,

Penn

• LoveFromPhilly
    LoveFromPhilly Member Posts: 1,019
    edited February 2020

hi everyone!

thank you soooo much for your outpouring of love!!!

I spent the night in the Er till about 3am and then they transferred me to another floor and a really peaceful room with my own bathroom. All the docs and nurses were AMAZING.

They ran a gamut of tests from fecal stool samples, bloodwork, xrays and a cat scan and were able to determine that they believe I developed gastritis and I may have an ulcer possibly. We think that the naproxen that I’ve been on for the past two weeks caused it. That plus the combo of Ibrance which makes my GI tract very sensitive.

They put me on a huge slew of meds from iv fluids, iv Pepcid a/c, iv Ativan, the drink for the cat scan, the scan iv contrast, tramadol for the pain that I ended up feeling quite nauseated and then took a Zofran. They are recommending a follow up endoscopy but treating this like an ulcer basically for a couple weeks and seeing how it goes.

I am home now and just slept for 4: straight and I have a pounding headache.

Will continue to rest and looking forward to feeling better ASAP

Much love

Philly

• PatgMc
    PatgMc Member Posts: 1,312
    edited February 2020

Love from Philly, I'm down here in Memphis praying for your comfort and for this to be something simple that passes quickly.

Much love from PatGMc

• blmike
    blmike Member Posts: 195
    edited February 2020

Philly - It seems like an ulcer is better than what your diagnosis could have been. Know that my wife and I are just to the east of you and thinking about you and hoping for the best.

• dutchiris
    dutchiris Member Posts: 783
    edited February 2020

Philly, I'm happy to hear your being treated well and things are being thoroughly investigated.

Thank you for all the responses to my tumor marker question. I was initially diagosed stage 3C with a crap ton of positive lymph nodes. I was getting tumor markers drawn every 6 months. The ca 27.29 and ca 15-3 went up 2 points each in Jan and Aug 2019 . I also had some lower back discomfort. So she ordered scans and here I am. I have had tumor markers drawn just one since my stage 4 diagnosis in August. They are each up two points again. Ca 27.29 is 16.4 and ca 15-3 is 14. I know these are not very high at all but still moving upward. I am not sure what my onc is planning for testing tumor markers.

• GinnyO2
    edited February 2020

LoveFrom Philly

Thankful to hear that you’re home. Prayerfully it is gastric, the lesser of the evils, instead of ulcers. Prayers to continue!

• karenfizedbo15
    karenfizedbo15 Member Posts: 719
    edited February 2020

Aaaww Philly, that sounds like a shocker of a spell. Hopefully you’ll recover quickly. My GP gave me Naproxen but said always to take it with Omeprazole because of the gastric issue. I don’t take it at all unless I’m in proper pain and thankfully that hasn’t been for months now.

BevJen, hoping things settle for you TM and virus wise and you stay here with us!

Lovely to hear from you Pat

• tanya_djamila
    tanya_djamila Member Posts: 1,528
    edited February 2020

philly glad you’re home and getting rest.

Tany

• sandibeach57
    sandibeach57 Member Posts: 1,387
    edited February 2020

Philly, did you get your PETCT scan approved yet?

• SerenitySTAT
    SerenitySTAT Member Posts: 3,534
    edited February 2020

Divine - You're probably not too far off on my mom. This wouldn't be her first time living in denial. By the way, love your Wonder Woman avatar.

RadagastRabbit - I love both margaritas and sangrias. In general, I think a margarita is stronger than sangria (definitely depends on recipe). A margarita is based on tequila, and sangria is based on wine. Whichever you choose, enjoy and take a sip of the other from someone else's glass. ;)

SondraF - I'm at a university hospital. My MO trained in internal medicine and oncology with sub-specialty in breast cancer, focusing on bone metastases and patient-centered care. His clinical research focuses on breast, head and neck, and hepatobilliary cancers. Every so often he's shadowed by a trainee doc.

BevJen - These TMs are a pain! I hope your little bump up is temporary. Remember that your MO is not worried. Sending good vibes.

LoveFromPhilly - Glad you're resting at home. Hope your headache goes away after more sleep.

dutchiris - Seems to vary how often I see my MO ever since my TM drastically increased. I just saw him today after 3 1/2 weeks. Next appointment is in 6 weeks. He's very confident since seeing my TM response to Ibrance after 2 cycles. My CA 15-3 was 1386 last summer. A few months before Ibrance, it was 586. Today it's 280. Your TM changes are very minor and values are well within normal. TMs are not reliable for some people.

• jensgotthis
    jensgotthis Member Posts: 673
    edited February 2020

oh Philly, these are the days I wish we all lived close to one another. What an ordeal you went through. Glad you went to get checked out and hope that you begin to feel much better as the meds do their magic

• jensgotthis
    jensgotthis Member Posts: 673
    edited February 2020

Does anyone else here have a port still? I have to go to the chemo infusion office each month for a port flush, so I get my monthly Xgeva shot and have my labs drawn (CA2729, CBC, Comprehensive Metabolic Panel plus any additional ones that might be needed from time to time to check vit D and thyroid).

While I’m there, I can ask to see my NP and she’ll come over while I wait. Sometimes she stops by just to say hi. Otherwise, I schedule an appt with my NP every three months (when I also get my Lupron shot and a breast exam on my one remaining). Only when I need to ask big questions do I schedule with my MO. This is a choice I’ve made - I felt that appointments were taking over my life and I want to delay that as much as possible.

Since I’ve been stable 3+ years, I’ve extended my scans from every three months to at least every 6 months. If I didn’t have a history of blood clots in my lungs, I’d probably only do the CT every 9 or 12 months. Anytime I have a new pain that lasts longer than I’m comfortable, I do get checked out but I’m lucky that has only been once.

I’ve debated having my port removed. I did have chemo when first dx and my veins are awful, so it was a wonderful help. I know at some point I’ll need the port again so I haven’t taken it out. But it would be nice...

• sandibeach57
    sandibeach57 Member Posts: 1,387
    edited February 2020

Jensgotthis, I still have my port from Oct 2016. It still works and doesn't bother me. Keeping it in case I need IV chemo in future. Unfortunately, it is a mediport, not power port, so cannot use it for CT/MRI scans requiring fast contrast push. Ugh. But great for monthly lab draws.

S

• SerenitySTAT
    SerenitySTAT Member Posts: 3,534
    edited February 2020

I still have my port from Feb 2016. I've never used it for anything but chemo. Every 3 months I go to a local clinic 10 minutes away for the port flush. It's the same clinic that gives me the monthly Xgeva shot. There's never much of a wait. At this point, the quarterly port flush doesn't take much time. All the other stuff, though, takes a lot of time and energy. My hospital is an hour away by train, and there’s a lot of waiting.