Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

Ibrance (Palbociclib)

Comments

• pearlady
    pearlady Member Posts: 390
    edited September 2015

Florence I agree with the others.  Unless the pain is severe I would not radiate.  My onc also does not recommend unless there is severe pain.  Radiation will lower your blood counts and with the Ibrance that could prevent a challenge.  Since you haven't been on Ibrance maybe consider a wait and see approach.

• 3Holly
    3Holly Member Posts: 201
    edited September 2015

Florence, I am having another radiation consult tomorrow, I will let you know what he says about the risks. I will also have an MRI tomorrow, then a mapping the following day if I go ahead with a radiation plan. I had radiation twice already, and the 2nd time it stopped the pain in my hip area - it's still working, so I hope they can do it again for my upper back without side effects. This will delay my starting Xeloda, hopefully not too long.

• dlb823
    dlb823 Member Posts: 2,701
    edited September 2015

Florence, I agree with Cristina about giving your current tx a chance to work. I was surprised and disappointed to see lung damage from radiation (left side & axillary area in 2009) noted on my current CT reports -- something I had no knowledge of until I read it. Also, are you on a bone building drug? Just wondering if something like Xgeva might also help fortify the bone where you're having some pain.

• Chattykat40
    Chattykat40 Member Posts: 37
    edited September 2015

I didn't realize that about the radiation therapy ladies. I was just talking to my onc today about my arm. It's really been hurting me a lot. We don't really know if it's the cancer yet but she is having me do some x-rays etc... and mentioned the possibility of radiation. I think I will try to exhaust any other possibilities first for sure now. I also have annoying pain in my back and rib cage Florence so I definitely understand your need to make it go away. I've been living on a heating pad and using the topical patches. So far, that seems to help take the edge off.

I had a good talk today with my onc about my tumor markers since starting Ibrance. They had gone up initially but now they are stable. So, not going up or down. She says that is okay for now and isn't concerned unless they decide to take a huge leap up. She is confident that my TM's will begin to go down in the next few cycles. PET scan in a few weeks! Biting nails...

• ashleymbsmith
    ashleymbsmith Member Posts: 2
    edited September 2015

Has anyone had so much hair loss from Ibrance that you decided to shave your head or cut it short? I'm loosing an incredible amount of hair and it has gotten SO thin.

• Mama2twinsplus2
    Mama2twinsplus2 Member Posts: 98
    edited September 2015

Good morning ladies, I am on day 15 of my first Ibrance cycle. Up to this point I have had minimal side effects, but last night had the palms of my hands start to itch and little bumps form?? Thoughts on if this is something I should be worried about?? Thanks in advance!

• Kaption
    Kaption Member Posts: 2,934
    edited September 2015

thoughts on previous posts: radiation certainly has risks, but it is the reason I'm mobile right now.

Ashley, my hair (which is rather thin naturally) has thinned a bit more. But not enough to consider shaving. What has happened, that didn't even happen on Taxotere, is my eyebrows and eyelashes have thinned. Especially my eyebrows.

Mama2twins, I have had a few Itchybumps on my fingers. Looks kind of like individual poison ivy bumps. I've heard others mention bumps on their palms. Certainly worth reporting to your doctor. But, I think it falls under the "to be expected" side effects.

My first PET scan since starting Ibrance (finished 4 cycles) is next Monday. Very anxious for sure!

• Florence2006
    Florence2006 Member Posts: 19
    edited September 2015

Thanks for all of the advice on radiation. I have an appointment tomorrow for the CT Scan and the MRI in preparation for the radiation. I called the radiologist today and my oncologist. Oncologist is not in the office today but I got some good advice, off the record, from the nurse practitioner. The radiologist will discuss with me in the morning and then I can decided to go forward or not. My gut feeling right now is to go forward with the radiation. Presently I have mild discomfort. I think it may be best to stop things before they get worse.

I am also on day 15 of Ibrance, 125 mg. Only fatigue so far and some digestive changes.

• mimipickle
    mimipickle Member Posts: 160
    edited September 2015

Florence, I have some small-4 I think, mets in my spine L3 area. They were really aching back in June and I have been on Ibrance and Letrozole since June and they don't ache as much now. I would estimate about only 1/3 of the pain as before.

I also have some age related degeneration (59yrs) in the same area that can be seen on the MRI and so it could be that that bothers me occasionally. But my point is, things are better now.

I agree with some of the others, don't do it unless you really have to.

• dlb823
    edited September 2015

Florence, I was in a lot of pain when my Anastrazole quit working -- spent many days at home and a few in bed due to pain. Now that I'm on my second full month of Faslodex and 2nd cycle of Anastrazole, the pain is virtually gone -- unless I overdo it. I understand wanting to address your discomfort before it gets worse, but giving Ibrance a chance to work might mean you could save radiation and still have it available at a later date. And so far, I am finding Ibrance cycle #2 easier to tolerate than the first.

• 3Holly
    edited September 2015

Florence, I had my radiation consult today, and will have mapping tomorrow morning. This will be my third time having radiation, and I'm glad I have the very best person doing the job since he says it will be even trickier this time as he will have to radiate close to where I was radiated the first time back in 2009 (and you can't radiate the same place twice). I don't know how I'd feel if I didn't have complete confidence in my doctor, but my doctor is the very best expert on radiation.

Although the pain is in my right side of my back, it originates from the spine, and they will radiate me from both front and back, and it will most likely be for 10 days, and I may have a slight sore throat since it is the upper spine they are radiating, most likely there will be no other side effects ( though other side effects are possible, they are not likely). They want to stop the bone damage from getting worse since nerves can also be damaged if they don't. I have had a hard time lifting the laundry basket, the bundles, the iron pan, and just standing for a long time, so I feel like I need to get relief - Ellelou, by the way, great pic and what a cute baby, your back must hurt holding the baby, but glad you are getting relief from the meds! Hoping my the radiation works as well as it did last time (had it over a year ago in the lumbar spine region and so far that pain hasn't returned).

At first the nurse suggested the Xeloda might help the back pain, but after I described it, she set up the radiation consult, so maybe it depends how bad the pain is, whether they decide on radiation. The radiation will delay me from starting the Xeloda, so I hope it won't be too much of a delay, but they don't do both xeloda and radiation together.

Traffic was brutal getting in town today - traffic is 1/2 the battle, and it's impossible to predict, at any time of the day. The MRI was about an hour, and I forgot I was getting injected again, so I'm glad to have that over with, although it was not bad (just tired of scans). Good Luck with your radiation decision and hope they can help your pain.

• Piemaker2
    Piemaker2 Member Posts: 37
    edited September 2015

they did say stop the last pill, my neutrophils (?) were 500, supposed to be 4000, have been off for 11 days! Blood work this am to see if I recouped. Feeling good so guessing tomorrow dr will call and say begin cycle 2, day 1. I was fine until day 21! Thank you so much for your reply! Hoping the next cycle goes just as well for the first 20 days! Keep on keeping on my friends

• Piemaker2
    edited September 2015

So so wonderful to hear cycle 2 is better

• Piemaker2
    edited September 2015

it is a printed side effect of IBRANCE ...

• Piemaker2
    edited September 2015

Myra it is so encouraging to read your report! Glad you are able to do so much. I have returned to work as a teacher, but am worried about blood counts and kids germs. Also, I thought I read that you cannot have a flu shot on IBRANCE, does anyone know if this is true

• Piemaker2
    edited September 2015

wonderful to hear this encouragement , thank you!

• artistatheart
    artistatheart Member Posts: 1,437
    edited September 2015

Piemaker, my onc gave a total go ahead for flu shot as well as shingles. I think I will still research more to see what others are saying about that. I too work in a school and we have already has a stomach bug going around. Last pill of cycle one tonight and my biggest SE has been a few days of aching jaw and teeth (so bad today) Also a few mouth sores which makes it hard to eat some things but a soft toothbrush and mouth rinse helped. I also feel like I am getting a little sinus issue or cold which is unusual for me. However, had a blood test and WBC is still good (3.2) to start second cycle. BUT now my insurance is jerking me around about next round of Ibrance. Hard to believe how much I have paid into it over the years and they try to skirt out when I need them most. I am pretty sure though that my 2 affected lymph nodes as well as breast lump have shrunk! So pray it's working on liver too. Scans coming right before Thanksgiving.......Best thoughts to all

• moissy
    moissy Member Posts: 371
    edited September 2015

My onc said they would be giving me the flu shot themselves

• Hummingbird4
    Hummingbird4 Member Posts: 220
    edited September 2015

Same here. I asked my onc last week if I should get the flu shot and she said yes - absolutely.

• dlb823
    edited September 2015

I think it's important to time any vaccines for when our counts are the highest. In other words, be sure you don't get it if your neutrophils are extremely low.

The shingles vaccine is a live vaccine and some people have actually gotten a mild case of the shingles after getting the vaccine. I would be extremely careful about the timing of this one if you decide to get it.

• Kaption
    edited September 2015

this is slightly off the Ibrance topic. I still have my Power Port in and have started doing yoga again. Feels good to exercise. But, does yoga hurt the little tube running across my collar bone?

• artistatheart
    edited September 2015

Deanna, I agree with you. I am hesitant to get the shingles and plan to research more first. I have a second opinion appt with a major cancer center and a BC Onc rather than just my Gen. Onc. I DO NOT want to get shingles on top of this! Thanks!

• 3Holly
    edited September 2015

Preventing shingles is a very good idea if the vaccine is OK to take - Shingles is one thing I really fear, since my mother had a very bad case, and it can really cause terrible pain for a very long time.

Question - does anyone know where I can dispose of needles now that I am on blood thinner twice daily due to the scans showing blood clots? The nurse told me CVS, but CVS wouldn't take the needles. I can bring them back to the hospital at my next appointment, but I'd rather get rid of them now if I can.

• mdillard04
    mdillard04 Member Posts: 83
    edited September 2015

Hi ladies... My MO ordered a MRI to check the 2 liver lesions that I have based on the fact that my once very palpable 2cm lump in breast was almost undetectable. I knew Ibrance was working. Got my results posted in 3 hours. Liver lesions are smaller and no progression. My MO didn't feel the need to order another PET or CT yet. Onward to starting cycle 4 today, still at 125 mg.

Monika

• Kaption
    edited September 2015

Wonderful, Monika! So happy for you

• Hummingbird4
    Hummingbird4 Member Posts: 220
    edited September 2015

Great news, Monika!!!! I'm so happy to hear your good scan results!

• Lynnwood1960
    Lynnwood1960 Member Posts: 1,107
    edited September 2015

Monika! Great news about your scan! Looks like Ibrance is the drug for you! Congratulations

• pearlady
    pearlady Member Posts: 390
    edited September 2015

Great news Monika. Here's to continued success on Ibrance.

• artistatheart
    edited September 2015

Yes Monika, that is so great! I hope the same happens for me at my next scan.

Has anyone had Ibrance Se's of super sore jaw and teeth pain??? This seems to be the only aggravating symptom luckily but man it's wearing me down. Tylenol helps but not for long.

• Chattykat40
    Chattykat40 Member Posts: 37
    edited September 2015

Great news Monika! I just started cycle 3 and will have my first scan in a couple weeks... the waiting is so nerve wracking so I know you are relieved. :)