Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

Ibrance (Palbociclib)

Comments

• susan_02143
    susan_02143 Member Posts: 2,394
    edited September 2015

Great scan results!!!! Congratulations to all of you!

*susan*

• Hummingbird4
    Hummingbird4 Member Posts: 220
    edited September 2015

I'm so happy for everyone getting good scan results!!!! My scans are coming up on Monday. Hope to keep the good news flowing!

• Kaption
    Kaption Member Posts: 2,934
    edited September 2015

Yes, Hummingbird-keep the good news coming!

• babs6287
    babs6287 Member Posts: 1,619
    edited September 2015

Great news Kaption and Monika!!!!!

Hoping to hear similar results from Everyone here in Ibranceland!!!!!!

Babs

• theziz
    theziz Member Posts: 134
    edited September 2015

Hi, I see Dr. Vogel mainly but I've see Dra. Mathani as well

• theziz
    edited September 2015

Hi, I see Dr. Vogel mainly but I've see Dra. Mathani as well

• theziz
    edited September 2015

I'll be there from October 7 to October 13. I hope I can meet you.

Cheers

• ABeautifulSunset
    ABeautifulSunset Member Posts: 600
    edited September 2015

So happy to hear all of your great scan results! yay!!

• moissy
    moissy Member Posts: 371
    edited September 2015

Just had CA 27-29 tumor markers done after first cycle of Ibrance. TMs started at close to 1100. Dropped to less than 700 after first cycle. Hope it's not a lab error - LOL.

• artistatheart
    artistatheart Member Posts: 1,437
    edited September 2015

Wow Moissy that's good news! I hope mine drop by this Monday. Min went up after the first round...ScaredBut hope is just hasn't had time to show a difference yet. Have a blood draw Monday to check WBC again. Had some mild mouth issues before I took my week off and start up round two today. I hope the teeth pain is really a mouth issue and not meds, as it was excruciating but let up after I stopped the Ibrance??

• dlb823
    dlb823 Member Posts: 2,701
    edited September 2015

Moissy, what great news!!! That's about the biggest drop in TMs I've ever heard of in one month!

artist, I've also had some teeth aches since being on Ibrance. I'm just on my 2nd cycle, but it started mid-cycle, just as it had last month. So I'm certain it's an Ibrance SE. Deanna

• moissy
    edited September 2015

Artist - I think it's not unusual for them to go up first before they come down.

• ShetlandPony
    ShetlandPony Member Posts: 3,063
    edited September 2015

I've had an occasional aching teeth feeling, too. It seems like it was after eating something sugary. Brush, rinse, repeat.

• Lynnwood1960
    Lynnwood1960 Member Posts: 1,107
    edited September 2015

Moissy, GREAT drop in tumor markers

• babs6287
    babs6287 Member Posts: 1,619
    edited September 2015

Moissy

Wow that's a great drop in TM's!!!!

Babs

• artistatheart
    edited September 2015

Yes Deanna, i too am pretty sure it's the Ibrance as it let up during my week off. It's weird though that the tooth I need work on is the one that kills the most....I have read that my TM's could go up for awhile so will wait it out and hope for the best! Shetland, I agree to jump on the brush rinse, repeat for those teeth.

• Mama2twinsplus2
    Mama2twinsplus2 Member Posts: 98
    edited September 2015

Moissy,

Congrats, that's great news!!

Alissa

• moissy
    edited September 2015

Thanks, everyone. Obviously I had a pretty high TM number to start with (1100). I have really appreciated everyone sharing their experiences. I was dropped to 100 dosage for second cycle. Blood counts are better this time, so hoping for no more delays.I had to sit out some extra days after cycle one due to low counts. Thanks for letting me share your tour of Ibranceland. Wishing you all good results!

• slevyallen
    slevyallen Member Posts: 4
    edited September 2015

After 6 months on chemo earlier this year (16 rounds) my onco put me on Ibrance to take a break from chemo. I've just completed 2 rounds of Ibrance, but my tumor marker numbers have actually doubled since I started taking it. Obviously not working for my situation, so my onco thinks I might have to go back on chemo again, for the 3rd time in 5 years. Hope Ibrance works for you, but you need to monitor your tumor markers very closely. Good luck to you in this journey.

• pearlady
    pearlady Member Posts: 390
    edited September 2015

Slevyallen are you taking the Ibrance with Femara or with Faslodex?  Just wondering if your onc is considering switching your Ibrance combo.

• hawksfansarah
    hawksfansarah Member Posts: 41
    edited September 2015

Hello, friends,

Just wanted to update to say I am joining you on your Ibrance + letrozole journey starting tomorrow.

My doctor told me to take it in the morning after breakfast.

He also said to expect a huge drop in white blood cell count two weeks after starting treatment, and another huge drop a few weeks after that.

He also said to expect nausea and 5% chance of blood clots. He said the main side effect was horrid fatigue.

I'm coming to this point after doing Xeloda (stopped due to GI side effects and severe chest pain) and Abraxane (horrible neuropathy which created a near paralysis in my feet and affected my balance). I've been off Abraxane for 5 weeks now, and am coming onto Ibrance from a good tumor marker position and an all right scan position. The Abraxane weakened my body considerably, and caused liver cysts.

I've tried Arimidex in the past and it has not worked for me at all (water in the lungs, tumor markers over 1100, just horrible progression of disease). Here's hoping Ibrance + Letrozole work better for me.

It's a new drug, so I think it's super important to share my experience with others. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks!!

Sarah

• Hummingbird4
    Hummingbird4 Member Posts: 220
    edited September 2015

Hi Sarah. Welcome. I also take Ibrance/Letrozoie right after breakfast. I'm almost finished with my third cycle and have had no nausea at all and no fatigue. I don't know why your dr. told you to expect horrid fatigue as a main side effect! Yes - most of us have experienced a big drop in WBC, but many have been able to stay at the 125 mg dose or just reduced the dose. So try not to worry. I'm finding this combo to be very easy to tolerate.

Good Luck and best wishes for a long success on Ibrance!

• dlb823
    dlb823 Member Posts: 2,701
    edited September 2015

Sarah, I am on my second cycle of Ibrance (with Faslodex). The first round, my neutrophils had dropped significantly enough at the end of the cycle that I had to wait an additional 6 days to start my second round. They were never tested mid-cycle that time. This round (#2), I had to have them tested mid-cycle (it was actually Day 15) because I needed a tooth extracted yesterday, and surprisingly, they were fine -- as high as they had been when I started round #2.

Just sharing this because even though we are told what to expect, we're all a bit different. I'm also hoping my experience means my body is adjusting to Ibrance and maybe I won't have as big a dip at the end of the cycle this time.

Good luck, and hope Ibrance + Letrozole turns out to be a great drug combo for you, and much easier than your recent chemos! Deanna

• moissy
    edited September 2015

Hi Sarah - Welcome! I am another who has had little problem with side effects. No fatigue. No nausea. I was dropped to lower dose for my second cycle because of low blood counts and had to wait out some extra days for them to recover. But with the lower dose, I have really had no side effects at all to speak of and counts are good so far. Good luck and wishing you good results.

• ABeautifulSunset
    ABeautifulSunset Member Posts: 600
    edited September 2015

welcome Sarah. I did find being in the Ibrance a little fatiguing, especially the first few cycles. The fatigue is from the low white blood cell count. It does improve. I take my Ibrance after dinner. That way if it makes me tired I just go to bed early. I find if I take it in the am, I always need a nap. Good luck. It should be exponentially easier than some of the other things you have been on.

Stefanie

• Lynnwood1960
    Lynnwood1960 Member Posts: 1,107
    edited September 2015

Hi Sarah, welcome! I am on my 6th cycle of Ibrance and am tolerating it well. I take mine after dinner because that is usually my biggest meal of the day. I have had zero nausea. I have had some fatigue but certainly not horrible. My dose was lowered to 100mg after the first cycle due to low counts but never since then.my onc tested my counts weekly for the first few cycles, she is confident now that I am stable enough in my counts to have them checked every 3weeks now. I have responded well, tumor markers have gone from 203 to 58

• RosesToeses
    RosesToeses Member Posts: 244
    edited September 2015

Hi everyone, I haven't been posting that regularly lately, but I've been popping in to catch up and so happy to see so many of you with good results!

Unfortunately, it looks like Ibrance isn't going to be "the one" for me. After almost 5 months of it with various breaks for WBC and lower doses, my latest US shows tumors getting bigger so my onc suggests we call it a day. I'll be starting Afinator in a couple of weeks, hoping that one will do the trick and be what I'd hoped Ibrance would be (this feels so much like a bad dating story, lol!).

Wishing everyone great success and a long and happy "relationship" with Ibrance!

• theziz
    edited September 2015

Hi Ibrance girls,

I hope you are all doing well.

I am on my 4 cycle of the combo Ibrance/letrozole and I get monthly shots of zoladex and xgeva.

At the beginning of the treatment with ibrance/letrozole I felt very tired and dizzy but it has gotten better.

I'm athletic and I love to do exercise especially run (it is my escape) and I can feel that I'm not the same. I get tired easily. Playing tennis I have to take more breaks and I sweat more now. I don't pick my kids toys up all the time like I used to do.

The other side effect that I feel a lot is nausea.

My WBC are better now.

Cheer

• ShetlandPony
    ShetlandPony Member Posts: 3,063
    edited September 2015

Hello, Sarah. Your doc is just a ray of sunshine, isn't he?

Lynwood, great news on your TMs!

Roses, good luck on A/A. I hope it will be Mr. Right.

Theziz, I hear you. I waver between saying "I can't do what I used to" and "I can still do stuff as long as I rest in between". I think the glass half-full one is probably best.

• artistatheart
    edited September 2015

Sarah, I am very new on this whole trip so my only experience so far is Letrozole/Ibrance combo. I haven't had any bad SE's at all. The first week I was a little fatigued and had some lightly sore joints especially my jaw of all things. Also my gums felt a little inflamed. No nausea at all. A couple of mornings I woke up with a slight weird sinus headache which didn't last long. I just had a week off and now am on my third day of round two and I feel perfectly fine....I will have a new blood test Monday to see where things stand.