Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

Ibrance (Palbociclib)

Comments

• SouthernBelle34
    SouthernBelle34 Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2015

Hi ladies! I have recently finished my 3rd round of Ibrance and Letrazole, and my PET scan last week showed the cancer is shrinking! Woohoo! So far, I still have my hair. Is anyone coloring their hair while on Ibrance? I would love to highlight it (while I still have it!), but don't want to cause it to fall out either! Thanks in advance

• Lynnwood1960
    Lynnwood1960 Member Posts: 1,107
    edited October 2015

Southern belle, I have been coloring my hair through all 6 cycles with no issues. I have noticed as time goes on that my hair is not growing as fast as it used to.

• Myra1211
    Myra1211 Member Posts: 532
    edited October 2015

Have been coloring my hair thru 8 cycles. Definetly makes it look thicker. It has been getting thinner, but DH says it isn't noticeable. Myra

• dlb823
    dlb823 Member Posts: 2,701
    edited October 2015

I have my hair colored regularly, including since I've been on Ibrance. Had it done yesterday, in fact. I have noticed that it's thinner and drier, but I don't think the coloring is impacting it. I think it's just Faslodex+Ibrance and the severe lack of estrogen.

• jobur
    jobur Member Posts: 494
    edited October 2015

Does anyone have any good tips for fighting fatigue? I have so little energy during week 3 and most of my week off, it's really getting me down.

• Sarah0915
    Sarah0915 Member Posts: 81
    edited October 2015

I have the same question jobur. I just started Ibrance with Faslodex and Xgeva a week ago. Have been on Faslodex for 8 months and Xgeva for 6 months but my MO felt like we had stopped seeing good results. So, I know the increased fatigue must be from the Ibrance.

My other problem is not being able to fall asleep at night. I had some serious sleep problems right after my recurrence was discovered but that resolved and I haven't had problems for months. Nothing else has change but it takes 3 - 4 hours for me to fall asleep at night and I just happened to realize Ibrance is the only thing that has changed. I take it after dinner (supper:) because that is my most consistent meal and others have mentioned it helps them sleep through any nausea side effects. Anyone else having an issue with this?

• ninaca
    ninaca Member Posts: 228
    edited October 2015

Shetlandpony,

I read through the link that you sent at drugs.com prescribing information (Ibrance http://www.drugs.com/pro/ibrance.html), and have a few questions. On page 11 they wrote about "Food effect". They said that Ibrance absorption was lower in 13% of the people who fasted which is why they recommend having the medication with food- or at least two hours after Ibrance dosing. What was interesting was the type of food they said was related to increased absorption- high-fat, high-calorie food (approx. 800 to 1000 calories, with 150, 250, and 500 to 600 calories from protein, carbohydrate and fat). Am I reading that part of the information correctly? Just curious if there are some foods I should be eating before pill taking. Thanks :)

• LovesMaltese
    LovesMaltese Member Posts: 551
    edited October 2015

Shet- I just took my second dose of Ibrance tonight. Right after eating? But no way did I have the calories that they suggested. I am trying to do vegan with maybe chicken and fish once or twice a week, but most of my protein I am getting from beans. Maybe I am doing it wrong too. I am going to consult with Dana Farber nutritionist to make sure as well.

My question: When did pain from mets start to go away? Anyone have quick results? I am in agony.

• cenglish62
    cenglish62 Member Posts: 14
    edited October 2015

Hi everyone, I've only posted a couple of times, but I've read most of your posts since May. I've just finished my 5th cycle of Ibrance and I've been managing life on it pretty well. I had a recent gallbladder attack that prompted an ultra-sound, which showed two very small spots on my liver. That prompted a CT scan which confirmed that I do have two new spots on my liver; no new disease anywhere else. I cannot tell you how disappointed I am. I had so hoped to be on this drug for much longer. I am grateful to have caught the progression so early, but this is the first time I'm abandoning a treatment due to disease progression and I'm struggling with staying positive. My oncologist is ordering a new biopsy to check for marker changes and plans to start me on Navalbine (weekly for 3 weeks, then a week off); I'll be on this as long as it works. Anyone with any experience on Navalbine? Ibrance was my first med after the initial attack with Taxol. I'm sad, I had hoped so much to get more out of this drug.

Celeste

• ShetlandPony
    ShetlandPony Member Posts: 3,063
    edited October 2015

Nina and Maltese, regarding the effect of taking Ibrance with food--I'm no expert, but here is the way I understand that section. The main point is that for the 13% of the people who had low blood levels of Ibrance when they took the pill while fasting, taking it with food reduced the gap and gave them more typical levels. I think the researchers are just saying that you should take your Ibrance with food in case you are one of those that needs food to get proper absorption.

They were trying to see if food had an effect on the blood level of Ibrance, so to be very scientific they measured the effect of food containing different amounts of protein, carb, and fat. They found that greater amounts resulted in higher levels of the drug, but I don't think they are saying you should have a certain number of calories or a certain amount of protein, carb, and fat. Just take it with food. I figure I'll try to take my Ibrance with a meal, not just a snack, and that should be fine.

Maltese, if you ask your onc or nutritionist, it will be interesting to hear what they say. It sounds like you have a healthy diet, and I'm guessing they will say, "Keep on doin' what you're doin". I remember trying to follow food guidelines when I was pregnant, and realizing there was no way I could consume as much food as the book recommended!

• ShetlandPony
    ShetlandPony Member Posts: 3,063
    edited October 2015

Celeste, I'm sorry that you have to switch treatments already. Not what we want to hear. I hope your next treatment obliterates those liver spots. It looks like we have some things in common according to our stats. I'm curious to know what your onc said about navelbine and whether he/she considered aromasin + afinitor.

• cenglish62
    cenglish62 Member Posts: 14
    edited October 2015

I think my brain shut down when my Dr told me we would be changing my therapy plan. I also went to the appt alone, there are a lot of questions I need to ask when I see her again after the biopsy. I will definitely ask about aromasin + afinitor. I do know that Navalbine is what she's proposing, she did say she wants to see the biopsy results and discuss them with the other doctors at the center I go to then we can make a decision. It feels like being diagnosed all over again; lots of anxiety and a good dose of fear. I guess I need to find a new thread to follow. Good luck with the Ibrance everyone.

• sandilee
    sandilee Member Posts: 436
    edited October 2015

I'm sorry cenglish. Your story sounds a lot like mine. I was diagnosed with small liver mets after four months on Ibrance/letrozole. My onc gave me a choice between IV chemo like Navelbine, or the pill chemo, Xeloda, and I chose the Xeloda because I thought it might be easier to tolerate, and he said it was effective. So far, so good. I had a scan this month and it came back stable, with possible slight regression of liver mets. Onward!

I feel confident that you and your onc will find something to knock out those new mets. Hugs to you.

• dlb823
    dlb823 Member Posts: 2,701
    edited October 2015

(((Celeste))), no experience with Navelbine, but can imagine how sad and disappointed you are right now, and just wanted to reach out with a hug. I'm so sorry that Ibrance failed you, and I hope and pray whatever tx your onc recommends next works great for you. Hang in there, and please let us know how you're doing. Deanna

• 3Holly
    3Holly Member Posts: 201
    edited October 2015

cenglish,

I feel for you - had to move on from Ibrance due to progression ( TM's were going down but scans showed progression), so I was very disappointed and know how you feel - it is so exhausting and stressful making these tough decisions on switching meds. You should not make this decision alone - bring someone to the next appointments who can help with these decisions till you get settled on your new med. Praying that you have good results.

• LovesMaltese
    edited October 2015
    I just started the Ibrance- I cannot fall asleep? What the heck? I take it after eating dinner around 6-7 pm. I was still wide awake at 1:30 am. Finally I went and took a xanex because that makes me tired and I finally fell asleep- I can't say I really have a headache when laying down but I feel weird in my head, like if I move my head around it feels better maybe like pressure but not pain. I hate that I notice every twinge in my body, I worry about all of it. This am I am a bit nauseous too and constipation is awful which is prob from the pain meds-
  • babs6287
    babs6287 Member Posts: 1,619
    edited October 2015

Sandilee

I also had small liver and bone mets while on Ibrance/ femara for 7 mos. I'm now as of this Thursday on GDC0810 which is a clinical study for a pill that's supposed to be similar to Xeloda but a little easier to tolerate. I'm hoping my TMs go back down and my progression is halted. How are you dealing with the Xeloda? That will probably be next if this doesn't work?

Babs

• artistatheart
    artistatheart Member Posts: 1,437
    edited October 2015

Lovesmaltese, when I first started the ibrance I too got weird "pressure" headaches, nothing too significant but enough to be bothersome. My jaw also felt very fatigued for about a week. I am in the middle of my third round and no longer get that. But the other night right after taking the pill my face suddenly felt a strange tingling numbness around the edges for about an hour?? I have found with the Ibrance that SE's seem to change, but all in all it has become easier with less "weirdness". Make sure your drinking a ton of water to help with constipation. I hate the worry over every twinge too. I am much more aware of my liver these days and swear I feel twinges and tenderness in that side. My Onc says my liver will not have any symptoms of pain until the cancer is much more widespread.....Sandilee, glad to hear you got a bit of good news with your new tx, best wishes for a long ride! Celeste, sorry the Ibarnce didn't work out! Hope the new tx treats you well.

• gciriani
    gciriani Member Posts: 195
    edited October 2015

Is anybody here doing a combination therapy Ibrance/Femara?

My wife had a second opinion yesterday, and the oncologist, recommended to switch from Xeloda to a combined therapy of Ibrance and Femara. For several of you I can read it your details after the signature. For those of you who have not added their details, and are on the combination, and can you share them please? If not here, do it with a personal message: your diagnosis in terms of ER/PR and HER2, dosage, side effects, how long have you been on it? Were you on Xeloda before?

• LovesMaltese
    edited October 2015
    I just started the combo this past week. I had a recurrence to bone after 18 years. Bone biopsy said it was -E/P but MO said that is a
    False positive as I was positive before. I believe they are redoing the stains. In 1997 I had ILC did well. Planning on keeping this controlled for another 18 years.
  • mimipickle
    mimipickle Member Posts: 160
    edited October 2015

My only treatment ever for bone mets. Ibrance 125mg/Femara 2.5mg. Femara everyday with ibrance for 21 days and 7 days off cycle. Just finished my 5th cycle. Very few se's for me. Some stiffness in joints, some fatigue at first but it's better now. I take mine at night with dinner and I have never experienced nausea. The Ibrance did lower my white blood cells at first but they are come back to normal range. I had my first MRI last week after beginning treatment. Some of the larger mets in my spine looked like they regressed a bit but some smaller ones looked a bit more active. My OM said no change to tx and rescan in 3 months. Many people on this board say that Ibrance/Femara is very easy to tolerate compared to most other tx.

• Sarah0915
    Sarah0915 Member Posts: 81
    edited November 2015

LovesMaltese - I asked about problems falling asleep a few days ago and you are the only other person who has mentioned it. Odd, but I also have the really weird head sensation, not a headache but pressure when I lay down or bend over. It feels like a sinus infection but it's not because I don't have any other symptoms. I am using Clonazepram instead of Xanax and take a Benadryl every night to help with sleep.

• mcsushi
    mcsushi Member Posts: 71
    edited November 2015

I am on Femara 2.5mg (with monthly lupron injections) and Ibrance 100mg. I am on my 2nd round of Ibrance. The initial 125mg dosage was too much for me, but my labs are within range on the 100mg so I hope to continue on this combo at the current dosage.

• kaydeesmiles
    kaydeesmiles Member Posts: 201
    edited November 2015

Hi everyone, it's been a while so I thought I'd check in.

Sarah0915 - I have that strange headache-but-not-a-headache thing too. it happens when i'm lying down at night. Mine is not really a sinus infection feeling. It's more of a tightness at the base of my skull. I have trouble sleeping as well but am not sure how much of it is se's from the meds and how much is sort of an ever present low-level anxiety. I've been trying clean up my "sleep hygiene" lately by incorporating more physical activity and going to bed earlier.

cenglish, i know that struggle to stay positive very well. But you caught that progression EARLY and that's great. Wishing you the very best going forward.

SouthernB, yep, hair loss here too. Not a LOT a lot, but some definite thinning along the hairline in the front.

LovesMaltese, my mets pain decreased significantly after the second round, but I know it's different for everybody.

Last week, I had my second PET scan since starting Ibrance. It came back NED and my tumor marker is a few points lower so essentially in a holding pattern. The cells are still active. I can feel it and my herbalist/acupuncturist says it's still there too. But hey, I'll take stable any day of the week!

Pushing ahead to round 8. I'm on 100mg and counts are routinely low and don't recover as quickly as I'd like, but onc seems to think it's better to stay on higher dose.

Hope everyone has a great week.

• Myra1211
    edited November 2015

Kaydeesmiles, stable is great!! As for hair loss, my hair doesn't grow, although my toe and fingernails grow like crazy. I'm on round 8, 100 mg. new PET in 2 weeks.

Enjoy all. Myra.

• moissy
    moissy Member Posts: 371
    edited November 2015

Celeste - I'm so disappointed to hear that Ibrance failed you. We all have had such high hopes for this drug and I hate hearing when it doesn't work well enough for someone. I hope Navelbine knocks those mets right out.

All - My last blood draw my liver enzymes were what my PCP called "mildly elevated." She suggested that I go off my cholesterol statin medication before next blood draw. She said the levels were comparable to what they watch for when statins are causing problems and that because Ibrance is so new there's not a lot of experience with drug interactions. Haven't met with onc yet. Of course my immediate wondering was if this was the start of liver mets. I know some of you who progressed to liver mets are still following this thread. Did your liver levels increase slightly or significantly? I'm due soon for my first scan since starting Ibrance so we shall see. I'll have regular bloodwork again shortly after that.

• artistatheart
    edited November 2015

Celeste, I too may be the latest failure with this combo. My blood work came back today with "abnormal" liver function. My Onc wants to push up my scan date. Yes, a whole new round of anxiety and fear.

• Myra1211
    edited November 2015

lots of good luck artist. Myra. ๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿ˜„

• Hummingbird4
    Hummingbird4 Member Posts: 220
    edited November 2015

Artistatheart and Moissy, sorry to hear about your abnormal liver numbers. I will hope and pray that that has absolutely nothing to do with any kind of progression. I know it's hard, but try not to let anxiety creep in as you wait to be scanned. Seems like some new symptoms are being posted lately, like pressure headaches and now the liver number increase. This treatment is still new and could all be se for all we know, or as you said, Moissy, a drug interaction. Hopefully nothing serious.

• artistatheart
    edited November 2015

Thanks Hummingbird! I knew coming here and reading for awhile would sooth my nerves and soul. This site has become a lifeline to me as nobody else I know has gone through it like you ladies. I am so grateful! They have scheduled a new scan this Thursday and we will see whats going on. Thanks Myra and Hummingbird!