Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

Ibrance (Palbociclib)

Comments

• Lynnwood1960
    Lynnwood1960 Member Posts: 1,107
    edited October 2015

Nina, my dose was lowered to 100mg after the first cycle. I have had 5 cycles on the 100mg. My onc is very fussy with the bloodwork, had it every week in the beginning and now every 3 weeks. She says she would rather I stay on the lower dose with stable counts then bump me up to the higher dose and fool around with the counts. I guess every onc is different and like you said, this drug is so new I think they are trying to figure it out

• LovesMaltese
    LovesMaltese Member Posts: 551
    edited October 2015

I have had two doses of Femara. I feel the pain is at least 30 percent better. Am I imagining this? Or am I experiencing just wishful thinking? I got up at 4 am to use the bathroom and I could walk a short distance without feeling any pain. On the way back I could feel it but nothing compared to what it was. Also my rib pain didn't wake me up. It's there but not knife cutting when I move. 2 doses only so far. Happy Dance maybe?

• Myra1211
    Myra1211 Member Posts: 532
    edited October 2015

Lovesmaltese, that would be quite quick, but if you feel it, it is real. Good luck with continuing on, keep those good thoughts happening!

Here is a picture of my gorgeous grand daughter all dressed up for her first official outing. I miss her so much!

Hugs,,Myra

• ABeautifulSunset
    ABeautifulSunset Member Posts: 600
    edited October 2015

Myra, I don't know how you can stay away from that cute squishy baby for any time at all. I bet she smells good too.

Stefanie

• LovesMaltese
    edited October 2015

Myra, Well you certainly have bragging rights here!! She's beautiful!!

I agree that is would be terribly quick for pain to start to get better, but I can't believe my rib pain is so much better.

• Hummingbird4
    Hummingbird4 Member Posts: 220
    edited October 2015

Myra - she's a doll. Adorable!! She's already getting so big. I'm sure you wish you could see her and hug and kiss herevery second.

• babs6287
    babs6287 Member Posts: 1,619
    edited October 2015

Myra, she's adorable!!!!! Im sure you're missing her a ton!

Babs

• Kaption
    Kaption Member Posts: 2,934
    edited October 2015

Myra, Adorable! Look at that cute smile

• dunesleeper
    dunesleeper Member Posts: 1,305
    edited October 2015

Myra, she's a gorgeous baby. If she's as sweet as she looks, well, I hope they have a bedroom for you.

• mdillard04
    mdillard04 Member Posts: 83
    edited October 2015

Myra... She is beautiful!

Monika

• moissy
    moissy Member Posts: 371
    edited October 2015

Myra - What a doll! She's adorable!

Nina - Your question on dose reduction is one I have pondered and tried to research because I've had two dose reductions already (and no fever or infection). I'm on cycle three and I've had to sit out extra weeks on both 125 and 100 mg. I dropped to .5 ANC on the highest dose. My onc's feeling is not to restart me yet when I am just barely above 1.0 ANC because once I restart Ibrance on a higher dose I'm just going to drop down to the danger level again before completing the entire cycle. They tell me they would rather I remain on a lower dose consistently without having to sit out an extra 7-10 days in addition to the normal 7 off.

Under the "Mechanism of Action" section in the Ibrance prescribing pamphlet, I found info that says," In vitro treatment of ER-positive breast cancer cell lines with the combination of palbociclib and antiestrogens leads to increased cell senescence, which was sustained for up to 6 days following drug removal."

So, if cell senescence (cell can't reproduce) is only maintained for up to six days after you stop Ibrance, maybe some oncs are thinking it's best to have lower dose in your system for more days overall rather than sitting out. Just speculating...which can be dangerous :) I'm going to talk to my onc about this. So far, have only talked with the nurse by phone.

The trial protocol definitely calls for sticking with higher dose though .I couldn't find info anywhere that broke results out by dosage. I'm afraid this may be one of those questions that isn't 100% answerable yet, but would make a great trial comparison.

• artistatheart
    artistatheart Member Posts: 1,437
    edited October 2015

Nina, I am Lake Tahoe but my family lives in the Bay Area.

• Myra1211
    edited October 2015

Thank you all for the lovely compliments on Mallory. I will be visiting up there in 2 weeks. I can't wait!!

Myra

• LovesMaltese
    edited October 2015

Ibrance arrives today! I will be taking it after dinner meal- Is that what most of you do? Thanks in advance!

• masonsmawmaw
    masonsmawmaw Member Posts: 119
    edited October 2015

Hi All-

I'm a newbie to this forum so not sure if I'm posting correctly....consider this a test :)

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,527
    edited October 2015

Welcome masonsmawmaw! We are glad that you reached out and joined the community. We hope that you find support and information here among this group of informed and compassionate others. Now that you have entered a "test" post, can you tell us more about yourself and how we can help? We look forward to hearing from you. The MOds

• pearlady
    pearlady Member Posts: 390
    edited October 2015

Myra she is so beautiful!  Am I imagining it or does she resemble you? 

• cjanet
    cjanet Member Posts: 288
    edited October 2015

Myra- gorgeous baby! Yay for getting to spend time w her in 2 weeks.

Hummingbird- I'm so sorry about your mom. Thoughts and prayers being sent out to both of you.

I'm very tired today. I'm on my off week of Ibrance.

• Myra1211
    edited October 2015

Dorothy, you are not the only one who thinks she looks like me. Myra P.S., how was the cruise?

• dunesleeper
    edited October 2015

Awesome information Moissey.

• dunesleeper
    edited October 2015

LovesMaltese, I chose lunch as my Ibrance-go-kick-butt time. All that matters is taking it the same time and full stomach. Best of luck to you. I just started this week, so we can be newbies together.

• masonsmawmaw
    masonsmawmaw Member Posts: 119
    edited October 2015

So my test post worked...Yippee!! So happy to "meet" all of you, just wish it was under different circumstances. I see that I need to work on my profile a bit more so that it will accurately display everything. In a nutshell, I am a cancer survivor, having been diagnosed at age 6 with Wilm's Tumor, resulting in removal of a kidney, chemo and radiation. Breast cancer in 2001 with lumpectomy, chemo and radiation. Thyroid cancer in 2005 with removal of entire thyroid. And now....diagnosed with mets to spine, pelvis and femur in July of this year. Currently on a regimen of Faslodex and Ibrance (just finished first cycle of Ibrance and TM dropped 60 points!). Hope to figure out all of the abbreviations, etc., for the medical terminology real soon...until then, please bear with me.

By the way....I'm 51 years young and I do plan to be around a long, long time! Blessings to all of you!!

• dunesleeper
    edited October 2015

I hope you are able to get rest Cristine,.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,527
    edited October 2015

Dear masonsmawmaw, We are happy to meet you and hear your story. Stay connected here and keep posting. The Mods

• dlb823
    dlb823 Member Posts: 2,701
    edited October 2015

Welcome, mason'smawmaw. I'm going to guess with that screen i.d. you live in the South! And congrats on the 60 pt. drop in TMs! That's fantastic!

Stand Up To Cancer just posted a short video on their FB page about the success of their "Dream Team" approach. Ibrance is one of the advances mentioned, so I thought I'd share it here. https://www.facebook.com/su2c/videos/1015298932190... It gave me goose bumps to think that we are benefiting from these efforts, which I so clearly remember Katie Couric and others launching in 2008, the year I was originally dx'd. Deanna

• Lynnwood1960
    Lynnwood1960 Member Posts: 1,107
    edited October 2015

Masonsmawmaw, welcome! Lots of greateople here! Deanna, thanks for the link! It is exciting to think of all the advances made and more to come

• moissy
    moissy Member Posts: 371
    edited October 2015

Deanna - Thanks so much for posting that link. I remember watching the initial broadcast in 2008 also and being so inspired with hope as they described how they were trying to develop treatments more quickly. I am thrilled to learn that Ibrance came out of their research and feel very fortunate to be a recipient. Along with BCO, Stand Up to Cancer is a great organization to support with our donations! Obviously their dream teams are accomplishing something great! Thanks!

• artistatheart
    artistatheart Member Posts: 1,437
    edited October 2015

Myra, your grand baby is just adorable! I'm quite envious! Loves, I take the Ibrance after dinner as it seems to make me drowsy right about bedtime. Or maybe I'm just tired anyway by then.....Deanna thanks for the link, I have not seen this yet. And Moissey I haven't checked up the Stand Up Org yet but will now so thanks too. Welcome MasonsMaw! Blood test on Friday to check the TM's and WBC. Half way through my 3rd round of Ibrance and starting to feel a few jabbing sensations in my right ribcage. Kinda scary. Don't get a scan for another month. Hope it means the tumors are dying off or at least shrinking.........Shocked

• LovesMaltese
    edited October 2015

First dose of Ibrance just taken!! Fingers crossed!!!

• jobur
    jobur Member Posts: 494
    edited October 2015

Welcome to Ibranceland LovesMaltese. Hope it works well for you for a good long time!