Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

Ibrance (Palbociclib)

Comments

• Myra1211
    Myra1211 Member Posts: 532
    edited October 2015

sorry, I live in Ft. Lauderdale.area which is about 3 hrs away. Myra

• Kaption
    Kaption Member Posts: 2,934
    edited October 2015

Thanks, Myra. I'd consider driving to Orlando, but Ft. Lauderdale is a bit too far

• dlb823
    dlb823 Member Posts: 2,701
    edited October 2015

Stephanie, so glad to hear you're staying on Ibrance, and so very happy to see your news on stable scans & MRI!

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,893
    edited October 2015

Many here have donated . Thank you !........Wandering around and cheerleading again :)

Donate today, make a difference directly in all our lives. By supporting BCO, we support each other. Thanks and Hugs :)

https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/110/topic/834331?page=1

Link to the mainboard donation page

https://secure3.convio.net/bco/site/Donation2?df_i...

• dunesleeper
    dunesleeper Member Posts: 1,305
    edited October 2015

Absolutely, keep eyes shut. And Myra I appreciate learning why tumor markers don't necessarily jive with MRI. Well guess what. I'm in a lot of pain right now and ready to lie down, but I will be starting Ibrance/Aromasin Sunday. I wish for lots of good reports from you and me. I've been off chemo for at least 2 weeks and feel much more energetic and interested in food. I'll admit to enjoying that more than I worried about the uncontrolled cancer. Life was really good -- and so I'll do all I can to help this work.

• rushjackson
    rushjackson Member Posts: 23
    edited October 2015

Hello All,

My doctor prescribed Ibrance for me. I'm going to start it Thursday. So far I've been diagnosed with bone mets. I've heard really good news about this drug and this makes me very hopeful. I am also waiting on my PET Scan results to come back. Please let me know how you have responded to this drug and if there were any side effects. Thanks.

• Myra1211
    Myra1211 Member Posts: 532
    edited October 2015

rushjackson, please read back on this thread. There are many discussions about SEs and results. Hugs, Myra

• babs6287
    babs6287 Member Posts: 1,619
    edited October 2015

Stephanie that's great that your scans and MRI were stable!

Babs

• Lynnwood1960
    Lynnwood1960 Member Posts: 1,107
    edited October 2015

Rushjackson, many of us are tolerating Ibrance very well. Some fatigue and a drop in blood counts, but your onc can adjust the dose if needed.

• usha14
    usha14 Member Posts: 8
    edited October 2015

Hi Everyone,

I was diagnosed in 2011 and have been on Ibrance+Femara since a week. Have been experiencing terrible cough and wondering if anyone has experienced the same and how it was managed. I am unsure if it is due to my lung mets or side effects. My Onc has advised to increase the steroid doses. Also wanted to know if anyone took Artemisinin, AHCC, Shark Cartilage, Pau D'Arco or Essiac tea along with Ibrance+Femara combo. Would really appreciate any insight.

Cheers and good luck to us

Usha

• Florence2006
    Florence2006 Member Posts: 19
    edited October 2015

I will be leaving this forum. Ibrance did not work for me. I am so disappointed. I resume chemotherapy on Friday and will lose my hair fir the first time since I started this journey. Best to all of you.

• Hummingbird4
    Hummingbird4 Member Posts: 220
    edited October 2015

Usha - welcome to the Ibrance thread. You will find a lot of support and information here. I am not experiencing any coughing on Ibrance, but I know other ladies have. Hopefully they will be along soon to give you advice.

Florence - sorry to hear Ibrance didn't work for you. Losing your hair, especially for the first time, will be difficult. Mine is just growing back after losing it for the second time. But after the initial anxiety and sadness I felt as it was falling out (mine was very long this time) I kept thinking that at least I'm still here and the hair loss is not the important thing. I bought another wig and got used to it. Wishing you a great and long success on your next treatment. Please keep us updated.

• Kaption
    edited October 2015

Usha, I recently developed a cough. I do not have lung mets. Mine ended up being a cold. But, my nurse practioner said that a cough is not usually associated with Ibrance. But, as hummingbird said, a few people have commented about having one.

Florence, I'm so sorry Ibrance did not work for you. I wish you success with your next treatment. Take care

• artistatheart
    artistatheart Member Posts: 1,437
    edited October 2015

Rush, I have been on Ibrance/Femara for 3 months and so far the SE's have been pretty mild. The first round I had a sore jaw and teeth pain! (Weird) Some fatigue at first but not bad. Some joint pain but gain not bad at all. Usha, I did develop a small annoying cough and I do not have lung mets. There was another gal on here who I can't remember who also said it seemed that it correlated with the ibrance as it got better on her week off which I felt too. I have not delved into too many supplements yet as it is sooooo confusing as to what I believe in. Florence, I'm so sorry to hear that Ibrance did not work for you. I will look for that cute cute little face on other threads, hair or not! Best wishes to you.

• LovesMaltese
    LovesMaltese Member Posts: 551
    edited October 2015

I was diagnosed with stage 4 bone mets this week. My bone biopsy reported it was ER/PR negative but I went to Dana Farber today for a second opinion. They said that the findings of the bone biopsy regarding the hormones is probably wrong. I was 18 years out and the recurrence did not come back in the breast, just to the bone. They spent 3 hours with me today, and I never dreamed there could be a silver lining to such a black cloud. So I am starting the Ibrance and Femara soon. I was on Femara 2003-2008 and I don't remember any really bad side effects from that. I am going to read up on the side effects of Ibrance but they said it is tolerated well. Thanks for reading!

• Kaption
    edited October 2015

Hello LovesMaltes. Welcome to Ibranceland. It's a good group that will support and help you. As stated above the SE have been tolerable for most of us. We have had several showing good responses.

It is interesting that you've had differing opinions on ER/PR. I've had issues with my HER2 status cancer is tricky!

Best wishes on your treatment and care

• babs6287
    babs6287 Member Posts: 1,619
    edited October 2015

Hi Florence

Sorry to hear Ibrance wasn't the answer for you. I know how disappointing that is! Hope your chemo is easy to tolerate!

Bans

• pup-pen
    pup-pen Member Posts: 67
    edited October 2015

I'm on cycle 4 day 6 of 125mg Ibrance. Only SE was a rash on my hands during cycle one. Oncologist said it was normal. Had a CT scan during cycle 3 and tumors are shrinking. I will do another 2-3 cycles then another CT scan.

Thank you all for your updates. If Ibrance works for you I hope your success continues. If it doesn't I hope you find something soon that does.

All the best

• moissy
    moissy Member Posts: 371
    edited October 2015

Florence - I'm so sorry to hear that Ibrance didn't work. This is really disappointing to hear. I echo what Hummingbird wrote on the hair. It is so hard to lose it - there's no question about it. I think there's a great hair thread on the boards that you may want to check out. I personally didn't prefer to wear a wig and instead opted for beautiful hats and big earrings. You will find a look that works for you.

Usha - Welcome. I have not taken any of the supplements you mentioned. Hope your cough resolves soon.

LovesMaltese - So glad you got some encouragement at Dana Farber. I was recently diagnosed with recurrence after 11 years. Although I always knew there was a strong possibility of it, I can only imagine how difficult it must be to receive this news after 18 years. Not that there is ever a good time for ANY of us to hear it.

One of the BCO members BestBird has compiled a wonderful resource booklet about metastatic cancer. Here's a link that tells you how to request the guide, but please see the info highlighted below which came from it. Possibly this may pertain to you.

Bestbird's Guide to Metastatic Cancer

According to the latest (2014) National Comprehensive Cancer Network (NCCN) Guidelines, "Patients may be candidates for hormonal therapy irrespective of their hormone receptivity status, provided that their cancer is in the bones, soft tissue (muscle, fat or nerves), or internal organs and is not causing symptoms. The reason for suggesting hormonal therapy is because sometimes the metastasis is indeed hormone receptor positive and the actual test results are incorrect. Therefore, hormone receptor negative patients and their doctors should consider hormonal therapy especially if the patient had a long disease free period after initial treatment, if their cancer is confined to one or few sites, and their cancer is not causing symptoms." (This represents a major shift in thinking regarding potential therapies for TNBC and hormone receptor negative patients).

From: http://www.nccn.org/patients/guidelines/stage_iv_b.../z

• jobur
    jobur Member Posts: 494
    edited October 2015

Florence, I am so sorry to hear Ibrance did not work for you and you need to go back to chemo. I am one of the lucky ones who have never had chemo or lost my hair, so my heart goes out to you! Please keep us posted on how you are doing. Hope your next tx gets you stable or better.

Steph, Happy to hear you are staying with us! Guess you've been riding the emotional roller coaster on tx change, but so good to hear you are stable.

Moissy, Loved that little poem! Made me smile when I read it.

Dune, Happy to hear you enjoyed your couple weeks off. I think/hope Ibrance will be a breeze for you. What other tx are you pairing it with, letrozole, Faslodex, or ??

Hummingbird, How are you? And how is your mom doing? Give her a hug from me.

Welcome to Ibranceland rushjackson, usha, lovesmaltese, and pup-pen! Hope this will be an easy and effective tx for us all!

Hugs to everyone else not mentioned by name. I appreciate all of your posts.

• Kaption
    edited October 2015

I want to also say how much I appreciate this board and all the supportive people. Thanks to all who take the time to participate.

• dlb823
    edited October 2015

Florence, good luck with your chemo tomorrow. I'm so sorry Ibrance didn't work for you. Let us know how you're doing! I'll be thinking of you tomorrow. Deanna

• usha14
    usha14 Member Posts: 8
    edited October 2015

Thank you Hummingbird, artistatheart, Moissy, jobur

Florence - Really sorry to hear that Ibrance didnt work for you.I lost my hair during the first cycle of chemo and I had managed to grew it again. I have to loose it again when I went through WBRT cycle but I am happy with my wig.

Good luck everyone

• Hummingbird4
    Hummingbird4 Member Posts: 220
    edited October 2015

Jobur - thank you so much for thinking of me and my Mom and giving her a hug. Turns out the results of my mom's biopsy and scans were not good at all. They show metastatic breast cancer with a strong suspicion of Lymphoma too! She also has a mass on her pancreas, besides both breasts and lymph nodes in many areas being affected. When I was told this, I felt like a dark cloud came down over my head. My mom has supported me for everything I've gone through, and now she's going to struggle with advanced cancer. I hope so much that I will feel well enough to help her. It helps me very much to know that I can come here and that you all care. Thank you.

• 3Holly
    3Holly Member Posts: 201
    edited October 2015

Hummingbird, I am saying extra prayers for you and your mom. I know how you feel since I have elderly parents who need me. We can only do what we can do, and I'm praying to the Blessed Mother for strength and courage for all of us. Try not to get overwhelmed and overstressed - best to take it one day at a time, one thing at a time. As my Irish uncle always said, "inch by inch is a cinch, yard by yard is awful hard." Sounds corny, but very true!

• Kaption
    edited October 2015

Hummingbird,

Certainly extra prayers for your mother and you. I hope you have some extra help and resources to assist you both. My best to you

• dlb823
    edited October 2015

Hummingbird, my heart goes out to you. As if dealing with our own Stage IV dx wasn't enough! Sometimes it just doesn't seem fair... Prayers & hugs for you both! Deanna

• ronniekay
    ronniekay Member Posts: 657
    edited October 2015

I'm so saddened by your Mom's news, Hummingbird. I always pray for complete healing for all...but I also pray that if this disease is too much for us to battle, that we have peace and comfort in all our days.  Love and hugs to all.

• Lynnwood1960
    Lynnwood1960 Member Posts: 1,107
    edited October 2015

Hummingbird, so sorry to hear about your Mom! Life just doesn't seem fair at times! Prayers will be said for both of you.

• mdillard04
    mdillard04 Member Posts: 83
    edited October 2015

Hummingbird.... Many hugs to you and mom! I prayfor continued strength for you! I can't imagine!!