Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...
Webinar: Corrective Breast Reconstruction: Getting the Results You Want Join us July 9, 2024 at 6pm ET. Register here.

August 2015 Chemo Group

Options

Comments

• Bluefrog76
    Bluefrog76 Member Posts: 250
    Options

Agreed. This quote was particularly upsetting to me: "The most important message of all is that a mammogram is the most effective thing that a woman can do to reduce her chance of dying from breast cancer," said Dr. Richard Wender, the cancer society's cancer control chief.

"It's not that mammograms are ineffective in younger women," he said, but at age 40, breast cancer is uncommon and false alarms are more likely. "Therefore, you'd have to do a lot more mammograms to prevent one death," compared to older women, Wender said.

I was diagnosed this summer stage IV at 38 and as I've shared before, only was diagnosed because of my spine fractures. If I waited until 45 for a screening, I would be dead. To me and my children, breast cancer at 40 is certainly not "uncommon", it is driving and defining our lives. And the "prevention of one death"--mine and thatall of us here--is pretty significant to the people who love us.

• JenPam
    JenPam Member Posts: 163
    Options

I've been hitting the wall lately & have been sleeping most days, though I'm up daily for a 30-minute walk (sometimes I have to be dragged out of bed, though) and meals. I read a couple of pages back about toasted cheese and want to second that recommendation. My DH makes me a grilled cheese sandwich every night, and it's something I can enjoy and taste. I might hate them after chemo, but for now, it's working!

Because the taste of ice in my mouth makes me nauseated, I'm going to ice my mouth on Thursday with Gatorade ice cubes. :D I hope it works.

Hugs to all of you!

• superius
    superius Member Posts: 310
    Options

UGH! there's no privacy around here! I live with my parents/ or they live with me, whatever... anyway...

Today I came home from work & my mom said she told my uncle that we won't be driving up to LA to his house for Thanksgiving because I had chemo. -- I told none of the extended family. And I have selected whom I told about my diagnosis...

But it seems like my mom felt she can tell people stuff... I found out also yesterday, she told someone at church of me having diabetes: this lady, my mom's friend, saw me eating a biscotti at the church function, she said, "oh my god why are you eating sweet!"

Bawling

• Mom2ABoy
    Mom2ABoy Member Posts: 125
    Options

I was pretty energetic today. (The real coffee I had at breakfast might have been a factor, LOL.) My appetite was almost too normal, I had a full breakfast, a tostada and salad for lunch and 3 helpings of pasta for dinner ... at bedtime I remembered I was supposed to drink more water, so I downed three glasses, and then drank my L-Glutamine drink for the night ... and now I'm STUFFED. Really want to lie down just to feel less full! Hopefully I can go to sleep.

The real news is ... I heard from Chemo Diva! They got my hair, they're definitely going to make me a halo wig, and I should have it within a couple of weeks. So excited. I have been joking with my sister and my hubby that by the time I get it, I'll be pretty well bald. Joking, sort of, actually it's absolutely true. Every day I lose more hair. This week I'm doing three, count 'em three Leukine shots, and Leukine seems to be the thing that is really making the hair loss accelerate, so I would not be surprised to look just like a fuzzy duckling by the end of next week.

Funny, I really thought the hair loss would be easier to take than it has turned out to be. I don't like seeing myself in the mirror with my increasingly-bald head. But I also haven't chosen to shave it, because I don't relish the idea of stubble, and at least until I get my diva halo, the little bit of fringe I have left is all the semblance of "hair" I can manage to put on, poking out from under my purple hats ...

BlueFrog, welcome back! NotDoneYet, welcome!

• octogirl
    octogirl Member Posts: 2,434
    Options

Mom2ABoy, I just had to chime in to say that I feel exactly the same way about my (now mostly gone) hair, and didn't shave for exactly the same reason....and I feel exactly the same way about the few wisps I have left. Why the heck I haven't gotten a purple hat yet is beyond me. If you see any good links to ones, please post! The online sites I've seen never seem to have purple in a style I like...

Octogirl

• KateB79
    KateB79 Member Posts: 555
    Options

JenPam, I hear you about the ice. Just thinking about eating ice just made my stomach flip over. I'm trying the Gatorade--sounds like a great idea!

Now I want an(other) toasted cheese. . . .

I agree about the new recommendations being BS. That said: I found my own lump, and one thing we can do is raise awareness about self-exams. Maybe not monthly self-exams, per se, but knowing what's normal or not in our own breast(s).

Things are getting better over here. I had a major (and much-needed) afternoon of crying yesterday--basically just grieving my "old" life and how things used to be before all of this cancer drama--and I feel better today. Call it catharsis. Either way, I'm focusing on rebuilding until my next infusion. And on pooping, but that's another topic of discussion. Loopy

I hope the rest of the week goes well for all of us!

• MsBrompton
    MsBrompton Member Posts: 324
    Options

Kate sorry to hear you've been crying - though as you say it can be cathartic, and we've all been there. You have been a pillar of strength to so many of us on this thread (you even set it up!).

Everyone with less hair than you desire, I wish you GOOD HATS!

It's just 47 hours till I finish chemo. The hours are dragging like the week before Christmas when you're 5 years old. I just realised I have no follow-up appointments booked with my oncologist, no plan for getting my herceptin, nothing. Life has been reduced to one day a week in the Poison Dungeon and then getting through the next 6 days. It is possible that after Friday I will go a whole month with not a single needle jabbed into me.... And I may be able to move on from a diet of soup, cheese on toast, figs and prunes. But apparently it takes a few weeks and someone last week told me she was going to MISS her weekly chemo visits! (I won't).

• deeratz
    deeratz Member Posts: 318
    Options
    Kate-a good cry is therapeutic. I had one myself yesterday morning. I was still feeling lousy, weak and mentally beat. It must of helped because by the afternoon the tides had changed and I felt almost normal. I cried the demons out. We can't be strong all the time.

I feel great today. The sun is shining and it is a beautiful fall day. I went for my bloodwork and have decided I will go ahead with my infusion tomorrow. Like MSBrompton I am hours away from my LAST CHEMO TREATMENT. 18 hours from now I will be walking through the doors of the Cancer clinic to receive my last dose of life insurance....that my surgeries, poison and hormone therapy are enough to ensure that the cancer beast that once decided to invade my body has been slayed. That I will live a long and healthy life and it will not rear its ugly head again.

I am wondering....when can you call yourself cancer free? Technically I was cancer free post BMX. Until I was done with chemo I didn't feel like I could say I was "Cancer Free". When is it appropriate to use this term?
  • Tam-iam
    Tam-iam Member Posts: 55
    Options

The best thing I've eaten in my entire life is the grilled cheese my husband made me when I came home from the hospital a few weeks ago. The hospital food was a special kind of bad.Grilled cheese is one of the few things the pretty much tastes normal still.

I would love to hear what the go-to foods are for everyone. I'm still liking fresh salad if the dressing is strongly flavored, grilled vegetables, chicken, potatoes and some soups. Oh, and chocolate ice cream. I can do that.

I'm feeling somewhat better. The thrush is mostly cleared up and I start my first Taxol tomorrow. I'm trying not to get my hopes up too high about it being easier, but I hear good things.

Kate- Sometimes a good cry helps so much.

Dee and MsBromptom - Congrats on your final chemo!!!

• KateB79
    Options

MsBrompton and DeeRatz . . . YOU DO IT! I'm so happy you're almost done!

I'll be done with hard chemo--I don't count Herceptin-only infusions in that, since they're going to be a cake walk by comparison--the week of (American) Thanksgiving, so just over a month to go. My how time flies when one is having fun. I wonder if getting an infusion the day before will mean less abject gluttony on the day of. I predict it will.

Re: cancer free. . . In my mind, and in my MO's mind, I was cancer free when they removed my breast on July 6th. The rest is just insurance, but maybe we're really and truly cancer free when chemo is over. . . Either way, so many of us have milestones coming, and that's such a positive thing.

Tam-iam, are you icing for Taxol? Re: hospital food: they tried to serve me Thanksgiving dinner in July. I think I laughed, but that might have been the painkillers. :)

Foods: anything with carbohydrates, which is funny given that I wasn't much of a carb eater before. Also, dairy. I just want dairy and carbs, all the time. When I'm done with treatment, I'm going to move to a healthier diet, but right now? Anything I want. We have a great cookbook called The Cancer Fighting Kitchen which has excellent (healthy) recipes, too.

I should add that I think taking the melatonin at night is really helping. In spite of feeling like I was on fire a handful of times, I got good sleep last night, and that makes all the difference in the world. I read that melatonin is good with Tamoxifen, too, so that might be something to consider.

Here's a question: are we all gonna try to stay in touch when we're done with chemo? So many of us will be on hormone therapy and/or Herceptin for 1-10 years, it seems a shame not to.

• Tam-iam
    Tam-iam Member Posts: 55
    Options

Kate - No, my MO won't allow it. He is of the mindset that the chemo needs to get to all parts of the body. I'm so sensitive to cold in my hands, I'm not sure I could manage it anyway. I may rethink things if I start having trouble with neuropathy. I'm an illustrator and need to use my hands.

• deeratz
    Options

Kate-I hope you are feeling good enough after your infusion to enjoy Thanksgiving.

As far as icing goes, I didn't ice my fingers for my first 2 infusions, but did for my third and will again tomorrow. I am a Lab Tech so I need my fine motor skills.

I also suck on ice cubes during the infusion. I haven't had any problems with mouth sores at all. Also have had minimal taste affects. I believe the ice chips are the reason. I know you are sick of them. Kate I took Melatonin one night and woke up with the worst heartburn ever.

Foods- enjoying muffins, soups, yogurt, ice cream, protein shakes, cereal, rice pudding, sucking on frozen fruit chunks

I agree we need to stay in touch. Chemo may be done for me tomorrow but then I will start on Tamoxifen, have my expanders replaced with implants, possibly oophorectomy/hysterectomy. We are far from done

• VickiRides
    VickiRides Member Posts: 163
    Options

Wow! So many of us at or nearing the end of chemo. So awesome. I am just starting my 12 weeks of Taxol tomorrow and I won't be finished until early January... it seems so far away. It feels like AC flew by, but Taxol is looming ahead forever.

I am on the carbs and dairy bandwagon with Kate. I've been drinking milk with most meals, which I rarely did before. And soup. I could eat soup every day.

• Bluefrog76
    Options

Yes to keeping in touch! I think of this group as who got me through the dark days of diagnosis, not just chemo. I want you all in my life for the good that is to come, and to be there for each other for the bad that may. Regardless of our infusion schedules, I feel bonded through our experience.

• Mamiya
    Mamiya Member Posts: 151
    Options

Vickirides, you will not be alone over the next 12 weeks! In fact, you will be done before I am!

Here is a cross post from what I wrote in the TN and IBC threads, to share with you all about where I am:

On Tuesday I had a mid-chemo MRI and yesterday my MO called me to tell me that he is happy with it, I am definitely having a response (to the first chemo regimen, carbo/taxol) and it looks at least 50% better than when we started 14 weeks ago.

Now, to address the other 50%, I will start FEC on Monday. I know a lot of TNs and IBCers in the states get AC but my doctor, in consultation with the famous Dr C, is going with FEC because it takes longer (my Dr was concerned that I wouldn't be OK with that and originally planned AC because it is shorter and there was a DEC 2014 study that showed that there is no difference in outcome between the two). There may be no difference but Dr C feels strongly that FEC is the better treatment for ME so that's what I am going with, even though it will take an additional 10 weeks over AC. So, another 18 weeks of chemo before we talk surgery. I can do this.

I have been feeling somewhat discouraged because of my low ANCs during carbo/taxol (we decided to not even do the last taxol, Dr said I've already had 11, 12 won't make that much of a difference) so I asked about Neulasta. He said that they don't usually use it with FEC since it is every three weeks and that usually gives the body time to regenerate but based on my counts so far he'd be happy to use it so that's the plan, I am quite relieved and looking forward to no more chemo delays (they stress me out more than anything because I feel like the beast is having a chance to get stronger, which may not even be true, but it's a fear I don't need).

Peace all, I am going to read a bit more here then take a few days of a "screen break" to get off the devices and back to some real life things like groceries and laundry (sarcastically fun stuff!) and hanging out with my family (actually fun stuff). -Julie

• MsBrompton
    MsBrompton Member Posts: 324
    Options

Notdoneyet, that is some plateful of treatment. I love the fact that you have confidence in your doctors and in the rationale they have given you for your schedule. Sometimes it's hard to work out why 'my' treatment is different from 'her' treatment when we both have the 'same' stage/grade/markers. Of course, everyone is different.

I'll be gunning for you and VickiRides over the next few weeks. I have more surgery to come so I'll be in here regularly with the rest of you till Christmas for sure!

Today's food tip: mashed fresh figs.

• Birdysmom
    Birdysmom Member Posts: 39
    Options

all this food talk is making me think about grocery shopping! The grilled cheese thing makes me laugh... I got hooked on it too. And I'm not a dairy person!SickIt seems the organic/non hormone cheese and yogert isn't hard on me and it helps with protien. Sheep and goats cheese also seems easier on the stomach for dairy sensitive. B12 is in there too!

Other attractive foods (subjective judgment:-) Fruits that are juicy- grapes, oranges, pineapple (though a little stingy on chemo tongue) apples, pomegranate. Clam chowder with seaweed. Amy's burritos. That funny whatsit pasta shaped like rice...

You guys dealing with low counts aren't alone. Am still a queen on low everything counts and still getting odd looks from the nurses (...psst, hey, how is that patient still standing?! Her wbc's are .8 again. Careful when you give her that Neupogen shot, she might detonate or something!) So need as much nutrition as possible to grow things back and have blood with an actual red tint. This Halloween, vampires will turn up their noses at us. Zombies will think I'm one of them! Brains! Where?

• Musosgirl
    Musosgirl Member Posts: 305
    Options
    Yes, let's stay in touch. It is amazing how much better I feel when I can come here and read updates from all of you.

As for food My main staples are apples, mashed potatoes, pudding, and ice pops. At least water tastes like water now that I am off the Taxotere so that helps with hydration.

So the nurse practicioner today said my hand and foot syndrome is actually neuropathy. A bit scarier since my feet burn so bad it hurts to walk. She consulted with my MO and I thought he would argue with her, but instead he cut the Abraxane in half for today's infusion. I see him next week for my next big infusion and we will discuss it more then. Looks like the next six weeks are a wait and see, up in the air, play it by ear limbo. She also ran a thyroid test since I am having heart palpatations. I think it is all the meds wreaking havoc, but we'll know for sure on the thyroid in the next few days.

We are finally getting fall temps and rain this weekend! I am SO excited! Hoping to enjoy this next week before cycle 5. Hope all of you enjoy your weekend as well!

• Italychick
    Italychick Member Posts: 527
    Options

just another food suggestion, watermelon was amazing during chemo. And super hydrating

• michelle888
    michelle888 Member Posts: 46
    Options

Hi everyone. Been away for a while. Scrolling/computer was not on the docket after chemo. I'm 7 days out from my last AC (#4) woohoo!!!! Feeling good now. Next up are four Taxol/Herceptins, then more Herceptin for 5 additional months...

Funny. In my post chemo days - all I ate were baked potatoes, toast, hash browns, grilled cheese!, grapes, nectarines (in the summer) and other juicy fruit! I couldn't stomach plain water. I drank litres of apple juice.

Glad that you guys are over more treatments and trucking through.

Only strange thing this round is that with my daily Neupogen shots I'm getting small dark bruises where the injections were jabbed...never happened the last 3 times I had them. Anyone else get bruises?

• Hazel_Nut
    Hazel_Nut Member Posts: 70
    Options

Hi Michelle, I got bruises! I bled too a couple times on that same side...gets really tender too. I don't get it on any other area...so I just try to avoid that sensitive side.

• deeratz
    Options

imageWell I am officially done chemo. It is a strange feeling. I am hoping that my neutrophils cooperate this time and I don't end up in the hospital again. I am thankful for all the support I have received from all you beautiful strong women.

• Hazel_Nut
    Hazel_Nut Member Posts: 70
    Options

Congrats DeeRatz! You look so beautiful in this picture. :-)

• Jenphil86
    Jenphil86 Member Posts: 10
    Options

Hi All, I finished my 12 taxol treatments today and I amvery happy. I haven't posted much because I haven't experienced many side effects and felt a little guilty or sometimes I worried the chemo wasn't working since I felt OK.

I read some of you are starting Taxol and I wanted to let you know I made it though 12 weeks with minimal side effects. The worst was week 10 when I was exhausted and wanted to be done.

I tried to walk 30-60 minutes daily which really helped my mood.

I still have 9 months of herceptin, but happy to be done with taxol.

good luck to everyone!

• Bluefrog76
    Options

DeeRatz: amazing photo, great sentiment, and woo hoo!!!! Congratulations. Hope the coming days are gentle to you.

• superius
    superius Member Posts: 310
    Options

DeeRatz Congratulation! You look great! & I like the trees outside the window behind you (we are having another heatwave this weekend here is S. Cal...) Go forth & mulitple, WBC! ;)

Musosgirl I also had palpatations / fluttering after the last chemo... (it had since quieted down 97%) & waiting for an Echocardiogram to be done (CT couple wks ago showed "unusual tenting" whatever that mean). A Dr friend said they do all these testes & usually it's nothing. Hope she's right.

Food: One thing I really craving for is SALAD! I haven't had any raw veggie since chemo (too much washing to do for me, & can't have while at restaurant because you don't know how clean it is). Since MO said immune should be back 100% 6wks after last chemo, First thing I want is SALAD!!!!

• JenPam
    JenPam Member Posts: 163
    Options

I can't wait for my immune system to be back to normal! Sushi...restaurant salad...Brie...medium rare steak...*drool*

My oncologist lowered today's Taxotere dose from 75 mg/m2 to 60 mg/m2 because my ANC was slightly low. I hope my counts rebound & I can return to the 75 dose in a few weeks. I want as much of the nasty stuff as possible in the hope it will make a difference!

Even after I finish my chemo in mid-December, I have 9 more months of Perjeta and also 6 weeks of radiation. This seems to be lasting forever.

• motherofmany
    motherofmany Member Posts: 38
    Options

DeeRatz: Love it! Can't wait to be there...My last TCH is Dec 10th...

• motherofmany
    motherofmany Member Posts: 38
    Options

DeeRatz: Love it! Can't wait to be there...My last TCH is Dec 10th...

• KateB79
    Options

DeeRatz, yes! Congratulations, sister!

All these food suggestions. . . . I'm drooling. Literally. Blame the taxotere.

Seriously, though: I can't wait for sushi. CANNOT WAIT. As soon as I get the green light, I'm eating ALL the sushi. And rare steaks. And sprouts. I really miss sprouts!

Although I crave mostly carbs and dairy, and eat generous helpings of them at every opportunity, I try to eat as normally as I can overall. Last night, for example, I made tacos (topped with lots of organic greens), and they were delicious. Night before we had broccoli and potato soup (homemade). I find myself eating more red meat than I might, but I figure it won't hurt the anemia. We joined the local CSA when I was diagnosed, and I feel so guilty if I throw veggies away that I'll eat them even when they don't sound especially appealing--I think this is probably a good thing. I can't remember if I've written this here or not, but I highly recommend The Cancer Fighting Kitchen. In fact, I can't really recommend it enough. The recipes are so easy that even I can make them (I'm not a cook at all), and we've liked every recipe we've made from the book!

Toasted cheese for the win, though. :)

In other news, I've doubled my magnesium (900mg per day) and vitamin D (5000 IU per day), I've been taking melatonin at bedtime since Tuesday; I think it's helping with the hot flashes. Last night I only woke up once. Once! What a huge, huge relief. I've also been reading about homeopathy, and I think I'm going to try a couple of remedies and see what happens. The great thing about homeopathy is that it won't interfere with allopathic treatment at all--it's not like taking vitamins or herbs--and after that dark pit I was in at the beginning of the week, I've recommitted myself to thriving through this treatment.

Have a great weekend, all.