Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Fall 2015 Rads

Options

Comments

• ksusan
    ksusan Member Posts: 461
    edited September 2015
    Options

Grocery. And avoid anything with talcum powder.

• queenmomcat
    queenmomcat Member Posts: 2,020
    edited September 2015
    Options

Thanks, Ksusan...what is the deal with talcum powder?

• ksusan
    edited September 2015
    Options

It's now supposed to be asbestos-free, but older versions were associated with ovarian cancer. My view right now is that I have enough to monitor without having to watch for new studies on toiletries that are or have been suspect, especially if there's a viable alternative.

Get a knee-high stocking and put a few tablespoons of cornstarch in the foot. Knot it closed so you've made yourself a pouffe. Tap this lightly against your dry underarm.

• Skysquirrel
    Skysquirrel Member Posts: 34
    edited September 2015
    Options

Thank you ksusan! That's what I was doing, just wanted to make sure I was doing the right thing :) I have been feeling like I need it the last couple days.

#9 is in the books. 24 more to go! Seeing the RO tomorrow because he was on vacation today. The nerve of him missing my scheduled Dr day, sheesh

• queenmomcat
    edited September 2015
    Options

Ten of 18 for me today--definitely pinker and sleepier, but not bad enough to bother my RO. Just enough to bother me. Discombobulatingly, I've noticed lumps in my treated breast over the past few days, but I think it's just a combination of surgical scars and tissue reaction to radiation.

The RO commented on the pinkening in my armpit so I checked in the mirror this evening: apparently my field is a bit larger than I'd thought! Alas. So the upper edge--armpit to sternum--is considerably pinker than my breast itself. Not quite as pink as where my bra band runs, not surprisingly, but I'll have to put on more smutz at night, and more of the InvisiLotion after treatments.

• goofyfoot
    goofyfoot Member Posts: 19
    edited September 2015
    Options

I had 6 of 18 for me today. No pinkness. No fatigue. I use Biafine ointment which they give me for free at the radiation center. At $68 per 45gram tube, I am glad it is a freebee.

I continue to hike everyday but today was the first time I wheezed on the way up. It was 50 degrees outside so I am going to blame the cold. I got to the top of the mountain in time to see the sun rise so that was worth the early start.

• Tresjoli2
    Tresjoli2 Member Posts: 579
    edited September 2015
    Options

I have to have 35 treatments. Does anyone else need 35?

• queenmomcat
    edited September 2015
    Options

Several others....I'll go back and note how many each of us is having.

• KBeee
    KBeee Member Posts: 695
    edited September 2015
    Options

Some docs use a smaller amount in each fraction (1.8 grays instead of 2.0 grays) and do more treatments. Find out how much you are getting each time, and what the total is. Typically the total is 45-50 before boosts. For those on the Canadian plan, the total is usually 40-42..... Or at least that's how I understood it. (If they give you amounts in centigrays, multiply by 100). 35 sounds like it is definitely on the high end so don't hesitate to ask questions! It also depends if they use the bolus... Your skin can usually withstand more treatmentsif they do not use a bolus.

• molliefish
    molliefish Member Posts: 650
    edited September 2015
    Options

I have a question and I have tried to find the answer everywhere. I had my consult with my RO the day prior to my MO and since then I was referred for chemo because of a high score on my Oncotype testing. I called the cancer centre but there are no rad classes either. The question is, if I am having chemo to kill all the breast cancer cells (if any were left behind) why do I have radiation? I mean if I can only have it once, then why would I spend that. Opportunity when I just took prophylactic chemo? I'll end here I'm on my iPad and it's typing 30 secs behind me

• ksusan
    edited September 2015
    Options

Chemo is systemic treatment--it works best on floating cells. Radiation is localized treatment--it works best on cells that may have been missed by the surgery.

• Sweetmamaj
    Sweetmamaj Member Posts: 174
    edited September 2015
    Options

Hi Queenmomcat! Please add me to the list!. My start date is sept 21. Hypofractionated WBI x 16 days Thanks,

sweetmamaj

• WinLT
    WinLT Member Posts: 4
    edited September 2015
    Options

1st radiation treatment of 25 today

• KBeee
    edited September 2015
    Options

,Molliefish, Lumpectomy always needs to be followed by radiation. If not, chances of local recurrence skyrocket. As Ksusan said, chemo treats systemically. Radiation locally.

Sweet mama, we On my way!.

Win,hope all goes well today

• queenmomcat
    edited September 2015
    Options

Sweetmamaj: welcome to this group and you're on the list.

WinLT: as above...and did you start on the fifteenth, or the sixteenth?

On Molliefish's behalf Iand for my curiosity): aren't there some chemotherapy drugs which can only be used once?

• bluedog
    bluedog Member Posts: 147
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Queenmomcat, only one round of adriamycin, to minimize the chance of heart damage.

Can you add me to the list? I'll be starting rads sometime in mid-October. Finished my chemo on August 20 and having my lumpectomy tomorrow!
  • queenmomcat
    edited September 2015
    Options

Bluedog: thanks! didn't have to go through that myself (yet, and hopefully never) so I'm not sure of the details, only that (surprise, surprise) the chemo drugs all act differently. Hence why they're often used in combination....

In any case, you're on the list for rads--let us know when your start date is, but come back with your curiosity between times. I'm guessing you'll start no earlier than mid-month, if you're having your lumpectomy now. And good luck with the lumpectomy! In your pocket for chemo having done its job and an easy recovery.

• molliefish
    molliefish Member Posts: 650
    edited September 2015
    Options

@Queenmomcat gosh I don't know? I never thought about it. I am still trying to figure al, of this out. I know the master plan but it was developed for me while I was still reeling from the diagnosis. Now that I have had time to digest it all, I have so many questions. When I had my brain tumour I had the same reaction. Lots of questions and no one to ask. Happy

• queenmomcat
    edited September 2015
    Options

molliefish: (laughs sympathetically) Isn't that initial period a devastating nightmare? Getting brain freeze is common. But I don't think it's too late to ask your oncologists any of these questions. Not that I'm shooing you away from the BCO boards!

I'm more than a little vague on the details of chemo--all I know for sure is that I didn't need it because a) my cancer hadn't spread and b) mine was hormone-positive, so tamoxifen would affect whatever remained after radiation. But there are other factors, IIRC: how old is the woman? how aggressive is her cancer? any other health issues that might preclude systemic treatment? and so on.

• georgie61
    georgie61 Member Posts: 48
    edited September 2015
    Options

Can I be added to the group? I am scheduled for my planning session on October 23rd and 25 rads after that. Thanks! Marcy

• queenmomcat
    edited September 2015
    Options

Georgie: you most certainly may be added to the group! and welcome. (Glad to be done with chemo, I bet. Are the TEs settling in/down?)

• Ltam16
    Ltam16 Member Posts: 12
    edited September 2015
    Options

May I join your group? I'll be going for my CAT scan next Thursday and starting rads shortly after that. Did not get exact date yet. I will be having 5 weeks (25 treatments) and followed by a boost week(5 treatments.)

• queenmomcat
    edited September 2015
    Options

Ltam: welcome to the group. I'll put you down for a start date of September 28th, though that's easy enough to change.

• georgie61
    georgie61 Member Posts: 48
    edited September 2015
    Options

Thanks Queenmom....I still have one drain left...grrr..but get to start my fills next week. TE's dont seem so bad so far. Just happy that that said I was NED! Rads should be just an extra kick to show cancer who's boss.ThumbsUp

• capippy
    capippy Member Posts: 8
    edited September 2015
    Options

Looks like I'm here too! Still waiting on oncotype to be sure we don't need chemo first, but we've set my first of 16 treatments for Sept 28th just in case. Did simulation today!

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,982
    edited September 2015
    Options

Hi and welcome all,

For you, and all who join you throughout the season, here's some helpful info on the main Breastcancer.org site on Radiation Therapy, including info on types of radiation therapy, what to expect during the process, and how to manage side effects.

Also, the Treatment Side Effects section is a great resource for tips to help manage any side effects you may experience.

You may also find it helpful to read the Summer 2015 Radiation Sisters thread, for more tips and tricks from others who've been there!

Hope this helps!

--Your Mods

• queenmomcat
    edited September 2015
    Options

Capippy: I've got you on the list (starts humming patter songs from The Mikado, though that's more appropriate, I think, for some of the people we meet along the way) Hoping on your behalf that you don't end up needing chemo, but if you do, just let me know.

Georgie: makes sense that you'd at least start the fills before radiation--will you have time to finish? (dunno how many fills you'll need)

• KBeee
    edited September 2015
    Options

15 down, 15 to go, unless something changes.Ooooooooooh, halfway there, oooooooh, livin on a prayer...............

I look like I went to a topless beach and someone threw a towel over half of me. I kind of feel like that too.

• queenmomcat
    edited September 2015
    Options

Yeah, I'm getting the "inappropriate use of a towel on a topless beach" effect as well, though I first thought of "forgot to apply sunscreen". Snuggling up to a gel pack feels nice just about now,

• bluedog
    bluedog Member Posts: 147
    edited September 2015
    Options

Thanks for the welcome, queenmomcat! Lumpectomy went well this morning. No cancer in sentinel node. Now, on to rads!