Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Fall 2015 Rads

Options

Comments

• queenmomcat
    queenmomcat Member Posts: 2,020
    edited September 2015
    Options

Yes, it did cheer me up when I was starting to get sucked into "I've made a horrible mistake with the second surgery; I don't care if the surgeon didn't get clean margins..."

I don't know if the fear ever really goes away....

• Horsegirl
    Horsegirl Member Posts: 78
    edited September 2015
    Options
    goofyfoot: that photo looks pretty much like my set up. Face into to hole. Not much air down there! The portable fan lays in a spot under the the cushions about at neck level; blows air into the hole. It helps some. The techs pretty much blew off my nausea as "stress", but I know it was from the pressure. Shorter treatments aren't bad.

2 of 20 - noticing deep breast pain. Also noticing throat & inner ear sensitivity.
  • Molly50
    Molly50 Member Posts: 3,008
    edited September 2015
    Options

Good thing I held off starting Anastrozole, RO said she doesn't want her patients on it during rads.

• KBeee
    KBeee Member Posts: 695
    edited September 2015
    Options

Littleblue, I also have a pinpoint rash on my reconstructed breast area. We do look pretty similar. I took a picture of my axilla and kept it G rated to post. This is 16/30. The easy part is done. I think this next week is when it will get real. This is my second time posting this. First time went away... Hopefully it does not double postimage

• ksusan
    ksusan Member Posts: 461
    edited September 2015
    Options

Question: Does radiation kill the hair follicles in the field, or will my armpit hair return?

• Molly50
    Molly50 Member Posts: 3,008
    edited September 2015
    Options

I was told by my RO that it usually grows back but different from before and sometimes it doesn't grow back at all.

• queenmomcat
    edited September 2015
    Options

ksusan: I'll ask my RO when I see him next. But I wouldn't mind a bit less armpit hair! (Fair skin plus very plentiful/dark hair means I get five o'clock shadow ten minutes after I shave.)

• courtleboo
    courtleboo Member Posts: 27
    edited September 2015
    Options

Met with RO on Friday, he was very nice and so were the nurses. I go in on Tuesday (hopefully it is authorized in time) for the simulation. Then I will have 4 weeks plus 1 day of radiation. 21 treatments total. Will let you know the official start date when I find out.

• queenmomcat
    edited September 2015
    Options

Courtleboo: I put you down for a tentative start date of September 28th, but easy enough to tweak that when you get a firm appointment.

• spriteb
    spriteb Member Posts: 12
    edited September 2015
    Options

Hi all. I started my rads last Thursday, 9/17. I'm having an issue with the sharpie lines they draw on me. Usually they stick a tegaderm over the marks but my skin is sensitive to the adhesive so that's out. The lines disappeared by Saturday night so they had to redo the x-Rays today and put new lines on. One tech was a little snarky and commented that I must have "scrubbed" the area. I assured them I did not and I barely got my breast wet while showering. They used a paint pen and assured me that the mark would not come off. This was at 10am. Well, here it is 7:30pm and the marks are already gone. 

I'm beyond frustrated because this means that they will have to redo the X-rays again and put them back on. I'm worried about having so many X-rays and I'm worried that they won't mark the right place each time they redo it and I won't get the radiation in the right spot. 
    I've been moisturizing with Aquaphor 3 times a day. Although I do not put the Aquaphor on the sharpie lines, I know that throughout the day its seeping over and taking the lines off. I'm scared to stop moisturizing though because I want to prevent skin breakdown as much as possible. 
    Anyone have any thoughts on how to keep the lines on? I'm already dreading the snarky tech when I come in again with no lines....ugh. Thanks!
  • littleblueflowers
    littleblueflowers Member Posts: 391
    edited September 2015
    Options

Well I just got good news today! I'm only down for 25 full and 5 boosts so I'm waaay closer to the first is line than I thought! Today was 19!!!! Now though I have a feeling shit gets real..,

• queenmomcat
    edited September 2015
    Options

Sprite: though no suggestions about the vanishing lines or the snarky tech, I've put you on the list, and welcome! I'm hoping one of the others undergoing rads (or perhaps someone on the summer or spring lists?) will be able to help you with how to keep the markings on.

And my sympathies with the exasperation inherent in the process!

Littleblue: loud cheers! fewer rads than you'd originally thought, and it's the last few that are the 'realest'. How are you doing so far with side effects?

• KBeee
    edited September 2015
    Options

Sprite, Same issue. I finally took a sharpie at home and carefully trace over them. I have to do it twice each day or it is not visible. I too do not scrub it and keep all lotions away from it. A different tech was there once who got snarky and she put adhesive on. I was turned the other way in rags position do I did not know. When I had a rash the next day and pointed it out, the other tech was pretty appalled because she knew of my allergy. She has not been snarky again since. I do have to add that they adjusted mine today after weekly X-rays, and they removed the old one with alcohol. Ouch!

Little blue, great news! You should be just about to boosts!

I just found out that RO is out of the office all week, so on doctor day, tomorrow, I will see PA. She is worthless. She is the one who told me the wrong plan the week before I began. My friend who finished said she downplays everything. Wonderful. Just who I don't want to see at this stage. Oh well. Doctors need vacations too.

Another day...another day closer to done.

• queenmomcat
    edited September 2015
    Options

Kbeee: thank you--I was rather of the impression that the sharpie lines weren't designed to stay on long, scrubbing or no scrubbing.

My perplexed-clueless tech comment du jour was, when I pointed out two reddened spots at the outer upper and lower corners of my field as possible abrasion points from my bra, "Are you wearing an underwire bra? They can rub like that." My spoken response: Never worn one. My 'huh' thought later: surely underwires don't extend that far up?

• fltchr
    fltchr Member Posts: 20
    edited September 2015
    Options

Crossing over from summer rads to answer a couple of questions. Don't worry too much about the X-rays. I had 1-3 X-rays everyday for my 30 treatments because I was breat hold on my back. They checked position everyday. If they needed an adjustment, they'd do another X-ray to check position again. I had six tattoo marks and stickers the whole time.

Someone asked about the brown skin area in a photo. Yes, that is from rads. Good news tough, it goes away. I'm two weeks out and most of mine is gone. My nipple area even turned brownish grey and it's peeling off with nice pink underneath. My pinpoint rash itched like crazy, but a prescription steroid cream helped somewhat. It all gets better. Hard to keep telling yourself while your miserable, but it does.

• queenmomcat
    edited September 2015
    Options

Fitchr: thank you for coming over here to answer our questions!

Sprite: now you've got me wondering about the whole sharpie issue. I'd noticed criss-crossing blue lines of light, and thought the techs were playing reverse tic-tac-toe with me, but I found out last week that they're X-raying me also.

• spriteb
    spriteb Member Posts: 12
    edited September 2015
    Options

Kbee - I appreciate your response. On Friday when I knew this was going to be an issue I asked if I could retrace at home and they told me no. I get that the marks have to be exact and I appreciate them being overly cautious but I think I can trace 2 straight lines. They are going to have to let me do it or we are going to have to do the X-rays everyday. I can't believe the tech put adhesive on you!! Wow, the nerve!!!

fltchr- thanks for easing my mind about the X-rays. I was starting to get
    Worried about all the unnecessary extra radiation. 
    Queen- thanks for adding me. Your clueless tech comment made me giggle. That would be some underwire. 
    Littleblue - YAY to fewer rads!!
  • Horsegirl
    Horsegirl Member Posts: 78
    edited September 2015
    Options

Sprite: I've have trouble with adhesives, so tech told me to carefully trace the line whenever needed, or have my husband trace it. But what I've found is that they have a variety of stickers. Some, paticularly tge smaller stickers, don't bother my skin, so I have been using them.

Got to see the xrays of my plan today. Doing prone position, and there's barely any rib exposure,let alone lung exposure. Doc said body contours has a lot to do with that, so guess I'm lucky for the way I fit on the machine. Fascinating science!

• KBeee
    edited September 2015
    Options

Sprite, Thr other techs had told me I could trace the x. This one said no. I just carefully trace it. Wish my old techs were back! I don't know why they switched

• Meme117
    Meme117 Member Posts: 16
    edited September 2015
    Options

First one done, it was easy but I sure had a lot of anxiety. I have tattoos, no lines or stickers. I met with a doctor for 5 minutes.

I think I'd be pretty annoyed if a tech was snarky with me. We are in an uncomfortable position fighting breast cancer. I can see how it would rub off with sweat and possible lotion. You should be able to draw it if need be otherwise they need to find another option.

I'd love to see my X-ray plans. Horsegirl did you ask to see or was it just offered to you?

• queenmomcat
    edited September 2015
    Options

Don't the techs make a difference now! (Oddly, I've found the two male techs easier to get on with than the women. Perhaps because they're more exquisitely aware of the fact that women must perforce BE uncomfortable, stripped to the waist and immobilized in an exposed position, in the presence of strange guys.)

• ktbird
    ktbird Member Posts: 5
    edited September 2015
    Options

Hello,

This is my first post here. I am starting rads tomorrow. Will have 33 treatments altogether. I am so fortunate as I did not have to have chemo. I am having trouble falling asleep tonight though.

ktbird

• Keys-Plez
    Keys-Plez Member Posts: 190
    edited September 2015
    Options

ktbird...Glad you made it to day one. I'm 24 of 28. I was anxious my first week too. Mostly cause everything was new and hyper fear of the unknown. I was also on information overload and had people telling me these horrible stories. I imagined that all of them would happen to me. So far, that has not been the case. It got better when I realized all the nightmares didn't come true. You're a unique person. Your experience will be different from everyone else. It will be a combination of bits and pieces of the rest of our stories. It's an emotional roller coaster.

Take
    this first week to get use to the process and figure out the techs. I have this really harsh tech that I secretly call "Helga the Hun". The other tech is sweet and compassionate. I've found that together they make the right combination for me. Sometimes I need a little Helga and sometimes I need the sweet one. Helga is really ok. I've learned that she's really a marshmallow under that harsh exterior.

Can't sleep? I can sleep, but wake up in the middle of the night and can't get back to sleep. I know if I put away all the electronics I will fail back to sleep. But here I am, on my phone. I guess I'm better at giving advice than following it.

Loopy

Good luck on the rest of your first week. Remember to breathe, keep calm and squelch all those "what ifs". And if you can't, we're here.

• ktbird
    edited September 2015
    Options

Keys-Plez.... thank you so much for your compassionate reply! I hope that my techs are the same as yesterday for my simulation. They were both really kind. I am a fifth grade teacher and both of them had fifth grade kids. It was kinda cool. You're right... a lot of it is the fear of the unknown. I know I just need to take things as they come and all will be well.

• queenmomcat
    edited September 2015
    Options

KTbird: you're on the list, and welcome to the group. I see Keys-Plez has reached out with comfort and answers, but don't be shy about asking whenever more (questions/need for reassurance) arise.

Insomnia and galloping whatifs are pretty common! Did either of you get any sleep last night?

• ktbird
    edited September 2015
    Options

queenmomcat - yea... sleep, not so much, about 4 hours. I'm sure tonight will be better.

• Skysquirrel
    Skysquirrel Member Posts: 34
    edited September 2015
    Options

14 of 33 done! Getting darker and sore in the armpit, random fatigue (unfortunately never at bedtime!) but otherwise doing good! RO said my skin looks good for being about half way.

Excellent post Keys! That was perfect! The "what-ifs" have been killing me this week. I just want to KNOW! And I know that is not possible. But I am a planner damn it! Lol

These boards have helped so much! I swear they don't tell you half the stuff you need to kno

• queenmomcat
    edited September 2015
    Options

KTbird (and SweetMama/KT): how did your first rads go? I gather that sleep disruption is but one of the secondary issues with ANY cancer and cancer treatment. Sigh.

• Keys-Plez
    Keys-Plez Member Posts: 190
    edited September 2015
    Options

Skysquirrel...I'm a planner too. Engineer by profession. I ask more questions about how the machine works than I do my radiation. Sometimes it seems useless to even ask. The answers never really answer my question.

As a planner, you will do well. I'm sure you've read and researched to the "n"th degree. So you have an idea of what may, or may not, happen. Mentally, you are prepared. As things arise, you will take the proper steps to work with it. If you can prevent something, or at least lessen its impact, you will do so. For example, your armpits are getting a little tender. My advice...don't run any 5k's or marathons. Don't use the elliptical with the arm handles. Don't wear tops that are scratchy and stiff. Do what works and makes sense to you. I've also learned to trust my techs. With 45 years combined experience, they know what works and doesn't. During one of my darker days, one of my techs (Helga the Hun) revealed that she is a breast cancer survivor too. She's been exactly where I am now. So even though I get frustrated with their answers sometimes, I trust them.

My armpits are a bit sensitive right now too, so yesterday I told my Physical Therapist that I'm not going to do the hand-bike anymore. I'm not gonna do anymore exercises that will cause my arm to rub against my side. I'm not going to wait until my armpits are like hamburger to stop doing things that are counter-intuitive to keeping them as healthy as possible. I know I won't get through this without any pain, but my plan is to protect my skin enough to get through this with minimum discomfort.

It's not forever, It just seems like it sometimes.

• Skysquirrel
    Skysquirrel Member Posts: 34
    edited September 2015
    Options

Queenmomcat - by my calculation you are in the home stretch, right? Is it the end of this week? I am jealous! But in a smiling happy for you way!

Keys- thank you again! you give great advice! I haven't asked my techs much besides my couple machine questions and basic chit chat. I am in and out so dang fast! I feel bad if I slow them down lol. I do see a couple great nurses during my weekly RO visits, they get the brunt of my skin questions.