Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Stage III Cancer Survivors...15+ years and out

Options

Comments

• sugarplum
    sugarplum Member Posts: 71
    edited October 2022
    Options

Linda! So great to see you here. I'm right behind you Winking

Julie

• nancyd
    nancyd Member Posts: 557
    edited March 2023
    Options

Wow, how did my 15 year anniversary's get by me? Just living my best life, I guess.

Anyway, here I am a little over a week later to finally log onto the 15 year survivor group. I'm now a grandmother to two adorable boys, very much retired and tired (who wouldn't be with these two little squirts around).

Stay strong, ladies

• threetree
    threetree Member Posts: 1,361
    edited March 2023
    Options

Those are "two adorable boys". You are very lucky.

• iamelaine
    iamelaine Member Posts: 39
    edited March 2023
    Options

Hello all! I just realized I hit my 19th anniversary on the 1st of this month!! Seriously, I completely forgot about it! We have been in the middle of a big move so I was super busy. Anyway, you can read my stats below. I just wanted to pop in say keep on living large. Life is good and God is good all the time!

• threetree
    threetree Member Posts: 1,361
    edited March 2023
    Options

IamElaine - A big and very hearty congratulations to you! I also want to say that you are quite an inspiration. So many of us have our fingers crossed that we can be as lucky as you have been. Keep it up!

• kotchaj
    kotchaj Member Posts: 211
    edited March 2023
    Options

I just found this thread and want to say thank you to all of you that have made it to almost and past the 15 year mark! Congratulations and thank you for coming back to let us know that hope is still out there!

Amanda

• sugarplum
    sugarplum Member Posts: 71
    Options

On the edge of SEVENTEEN!

And this year my cancerversary actually falls on the same day of the week that it did in 2006. I remember that Friday as if it were yesterday - and yet it still feels as if it happened to a different person. This year, instead of waiting for my husband to get home from work so I could collapse into his arms with the devastating news, I will be watching him direct the Cannon Beach Chorus at their spring concert (appropriately the theme is "All About Love - From Mozart to McCartney). Seventeen years ago, this would have been impossible for me to imagine.

I continue to be grateful for spending the last 40 years with this patient, steadfast man - and for the extra time I've been gifted since 2006 (which I refer to as "gravy" years).

All my best to all of you…

Julie

• texgirl
    texgirl Member Posts: 17
    Options

I let #18 slide by too ! Too busy with grandchildren ,family and friends though never taking for granted my blessings in surviving after such a devastating dx .

As I always say " be your own advocate " ! No one can advocate for you better than you !!

There is light at the end of the tunnel..I can assure you. Prayers and strength to each of you actively going thru treatment ….please reach out to others here …we are always ready to listen

• mpetago
    mpetago Member Posts: 54
    Options

Missed the posting date again, by a few months this time 😣 I am 19+ years out from diagnosis now, as of February !!!

• katelynn50
    katelynn50 Member Posts: 1
    Options

Hi All. I am a survivor of inflammatory breast cancer 3B. It was been over thirty years since I finished my treatments and I have not had any more cancer development. I am so thankful ! Seems as if I was given a second life ! Thank you medical science.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,066
    Options

Welcome, katelynn50! And a huge hurrah for 30 years - that is incredible! Thank you for joining our community and sharing this monumental milestone with us.

The Mods

• inneedofhope
    inneedofhope Member Posts: 31
    Options

Thank you so much for all sharing your stories. This has definitely helped me through a down day!

• clars
    clars Member Posts: 42
    Options

Another thank you for sharing your experiences. I am very down as my surgery results have bumped me up to stage 3A and I’m terrified. There was still lots of residual disease post chemo and I had 4/10 nodes still cancerous. But reading this really gave me a boost x

• homemom
    homemom Member Posts: 830
    Options

My surgery also bumped me to IIIA. I had 4 nodes positive, two were marcrometastized and two had "specs" in them. It'll be 10 years since I was diagnosed next March. I am still taking the AI's, and will through the end of 2024. You just have to throw everything at it and live your life. I didn't want to go 10 years on Arimidex, but I'm glad I did.

• clars
    Options

Thank you @homemom for your kind message ❤️

I’ve been freaking out today as I got my path report which mentions LVI and extranodal spread, so I feel doomed to die of this disease 😢

Hearing from you has been great. I wish you many more decades of good health x

• homemom
    homemom Member Posts: 830
    Options

I know it's hard right now, but it does get better. You actually start to realize that you aren't dying of this disease anytime soon, if at all. It's why people need to donate to Metavivor, we need a cure.

• inneedofhope
    Options

@clars I'm in the same boat as you after neoadjuvant

Thank you @homemom for sharing your story. I'm always searching for positive stories from those with residual disease, it really helps me try to remain positive

• clars
    Options

Hi everyone. I am getting counselling through a charity and my counsellor is an 18 year stage 3 breast cancer survivor! Incredible!

She had so many lymph nodes involved she can’t remember the exact number any more (love that).

Her team told her she had a 98% chance of not making it 5 years. She jokes they only didn’t say 100% because otherwise she’d have sued them if she made it.

Well she made it and doesn’t think about her own cancer much any more, only when she shares her experience with her clients.

• cparky
    cparky Member Posts: 1
    Options

@clars hi, I’m in the UK too, diagnosed in May with IDC in three nodes, stumbled across my pathology report and found I have LVI and the extracapsular thingy too, straight to Google to torture myself, my oncologist doesn’t seem fussed about it so will keep holding on to that! My MIL is a 30 year survivor, in her lymph nodes too, I know another lady coming up to 15 years too, she also had lots of lymph involvement. Here if you ever need to chat!

• clars
    edited October 2023
    Options

This is so very sweet of you, thank you! So your oncologist wasn’t that bothered by it? That’s so reassuring 🩵 I am sure many more disease free years for your mother in law and friend are ahead!

I’m in Bristol. Rare to see other UK people here! 👋

• inneedofhope
    Options

Fabulous IKC I often read this thread when I need a boost of positivity. Thank you so much for sharing!!

• yatcomw
    yatcomw Member Posts: 57
    Options

So good to see you post IKC…..always feels good to see the old-timers continue to do well!!!!

Jacqueline

• mpetago
    mpetago Member Posts: 54
    Options

I'm about 3 weeks early this year but didn't want to miss my 20 year post! Still doing fine. This is about the only time I'm here, but I told myself that if I made it to 10 years I would come back every year and update, and here I am 10 years after THAT date. We're still out here, it CAN happen, it IS possible.

• moderators
    Options

@mpetago Congratulations on reaching the 20-year mark, and thank you for sharing! Your positive message inspires hope. Wishing you continued health and many more years of success!🤗

The Mods

• nancyd
    nancyd Member Posts: 557
    Options

I’m dropping in on my cancerversary to I note it’s now 16 years since my diagnosis, and I’m still alive and kicking! Sixteen years filled with joys and sorrows. In other words, LIFE. See you next year!

• moderators
    Options

Thanks for dropping in @nancyd and providing much-needed inspiration! Congrats to you and we hope you do something nice for yourself to celebrate today! ❤️

—The Mods

• karen1956
    karen1956 Member Posts: 4,520
    Options

February 2/24 marked 18 years since my stage 3 ILC BC diagnosis. March 1/24 marked 1 year since my MM diagnosis.

Living life!

• iamelaine
    iamelaine Member Posts: 39
    Options

Hello ladies! Just doing my annual drop in on my cancerversary. I am now 20 years out and have remained cancer free. I am so thankful for the past 20 years! I was diagnosed March 5th, 2004. Stage 3 ILC with 9+ nodes and an 8 centimeter mass in my right breast. It is so good to see so many others who are going years and years cancer free. Keep you heads up and see you next year.