Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

DIEP Flap Reconstruction 2016

Options

Comments

• jlstacey
    jlstacey Member Posts: 117
    edited January 2016
    Options

CW, MyaJames and GoldenBride, I hope your recovery is going well and you all feel better and better!

ErskineGirl, good luck on Monday, I'm sure everything will go swimmingly! We are in your pocket!

Ducky- when did you have your MRI? Since it is the weekend, it is going to be hard to push for it to be read immediately. I would raise hell if I were you. That's just me though. I had a CT scan on Thursday and have an MO appointment on Monday. At my hospital, that is completely adequate turnaround time.

For your MX (or is it BMX?), wear super comfy clothes and bring a change of clothes. Your will only wear your gown because you will have a catheter during surgery and for a day or so. Ask on Monday about your period. Or go in the breast surgery forum and ask. I was in chemopause during my BMX, so I hadn't had a period in 6 months.

Have you done all the prep stuff for surgery- get button down shirts/PJs. I got 6 extra pillows to prop me up. Several in back and 1-2 on each side to prop up my arms. You won't be able to lay down for a while after surgery. Also, I had two post-surgical camisoles with drain pockets. I can't recommend those enough. At first I only had one, which was a pain because I didn't have anything to wear when it was being washed. Ask the nurses to make a necklace from medical tubing for you to clip your drains to during showers.

You may already know all of this stuff, but if you don't, let me know and I can give you more tips.

• jlstacey
    edited January 2016
    Options

Please wish me luck everyone! Apart from getting results from a chest CT regarding lung nodules and talking to my MO about concerns over brain mets, I interviewed last week for a job I really want. I have a masters in historic preservation. I have done loads of volunteer work but haven't worked due to issues with my kids that were more pressing than me working. This job would be the director of our local historic house museum. It is perfect for me- part-time, 1.5 miles from my house, in between my house and my daughter's school and I am super excited about the job. The house needs a new identity and I have so many ideas to turn it around and expand its relevance in our community. Out of the two of us who interviewed, I know I am the best candidate, but the other candidate has volunteered more than me there and has a more intimate knowledge of the current operations. I would be a much better long-term pick. Anyway, wish me luck, send me good juju, prayers, whatever your thing is! Thank you!

• CoolgrammieNC
    CoolgrammieNC Member Posts: 17
    edited January 2016
    Options

jlstacy...good luck, happy thoughts, good juju,prayers,everything and anything that will help.🍀💐

• CarolinaAmy
    CarolinaAmy Member Posts: 215
    edited January 2016
    Options

Oh jlstacey, that sounds like the perfect situation for you! And something to busy your mind other than this BC crap. LOL

What post-surgical camisoles do you recommend? My surgeons are apparently minimalists when it comes to compression and dressings (NONE), but I know I'm going to want to have some clothing on hand that I can wear once I can get home.

I wonder if any previous surgical ladies are selling their pink pockets. I hate to spend that much money for something that hopefully will only be needed a short time. We should have a hand-me-down or sale list for that stuff! Loopy

• jlstacey
    edited January 2016
    Options

CarolinaAmy, check with insurance. My insurance covered mine. This is what I have:

http://www.womanspersonalhealth.com/gentle-touch-post-mastectomy-camisole

• stellamaris
    stellamaris Member Posts: 313
    edited January 2016
    Options

jlstacey - dancing the good juju dance! GOOD LUCK - fingers crossed - :)

• ducky179
    ducky179 Member Posts: 23
    edited January 2016
    Options

My MRI was Monday! Turnaround for everything else was so quick, but they warned me that this could take longer. I just didn't know there was a chance that my surgery could be delayed. I really thought that since I was having bilateral mastectomy regardless, that the MRI was just to determine if they'd need to do the sentinel nodes on the other side too. I tried emailing my plastic surgeon, but I doubt she'll respond on the weekend. Considering there is a whole team that has to come together for bilateral mastectomy and DIEP flap during the same surgery, I can't imagine that they'd really delay the surgery if they find something new on the MRI. I swear they told me it would just mean sentinel nodes on both sides instead of just one.

• CarolinaAmy
    edited January 2016
    Options

jlstacey, thank you! And I just realized that our DIEP surgeries are going to be on the same day. I'll be doing BMX at the same time... and I'll be rooting for you!!

• jlstacey
    edited January 2016
    Options

Ducky, you are right. If they find something on the MRI, which hopefully they won't, I would think they would just take lymph nodes to check.

• Lilyn
    Lilyn Member Posts: 156
    edited January 2016
    Options

Jlstacey sending good wishes your way for you to land this position, positive thoughts coming your way Smile

• jlstacey
    edited January 2016
    Options

CarolinaAmy- backatchya! My pre-op is Monday. When is yours?

So, I need more good vibes. Let's just say that 2015 sucked for my family and me. The previous couple years did too. We bought a lakefront lot to use for the family in 2014. We spent 1.5 years trying to buy it. Lots of backstory there, but we finally got it. It was a dream piece of property. Then the neighbors sued us. Again, a long stupid story there. The case was dismissed and we moved forward making it buildable to sell. We have a full asking price offer now and a possibly bidding war after a year on the market. I've already found some smaller, but nice parcels on water to look at. I also found an old cottage with a smaller lot that we could make ours.

So, it looks like 2016 could be a very good year for us if I get that job, we sell the property for full asking and we finally get a lakefront property we can use with the kids. I'll be putting cancer behind me and moving forward with some good things.

So, for those of you just starting out on this cancer shit, know that you could have wonderful things ahead of you. This year of you (as my MO put it at the beginning of last year, "Think of it this way, this year is all about you.") may suck, but good things are coming! You will get through it all, you will cry, you may find support you didn't know you had, you will have low points but overcome them and you will be getting a tummy tuck and new boobs!

OK. I'm done with me now. :)Happy

• goldenbride
    goldenbride Member Posts: 12
    edited January 2016
    Options

well I survived ♡ surgery went great, I woke up Without a 100# of pressure on my chest! B-Bye implants!!! I came home 1-26, and that has led to lots of sleeping and resting.

I did call the surgeon yest since I was concerned about swelling-below the abdominal incision to the pubic area is SOOOOOOO swollen and bruised. It's almost swollen as much as my skin can stretch :/ he just told me swelling is normal. I don't know what else to do besides massage to get the fluid to move on. I only came home with two of my six drains. One in my lower left abdomen and one in left breast.

Did anyone else swell SO much????

• NotAgain2015
    NotAgain2015 Member Posts: 70
    edited January 2016
    Options

Hi all,

Sorry I have not posted in a while, good to see successful surgeries going by.

Jlstacey, good luck with your test results And job interview. Your line of work sounds very interesting.

CarolinaAmy I think we have the same surgeon, etc. I found either nothing at all and just a nice button flannel shirt, or tank tops and a shirt or hoodie worked great. Pink pockets are not reusable. You will find the hospital will provide you with the perfect thing for drains, it is a pocket you wear around your neck that is on a long ribbon, sits T your waist and all four drains will fit in it. They will give you at least two and you take them home with you. Ask for more if you like, they worked the best in my opinion.

Goldenbride good luck with your swelling issue I hope that settles down.

I am doing great 6 weeks out. My only complaint now is trouble sleeping at night. I wish you all the best - and all with pending surgeries. There is also a great DIEP group on Facebook.

• Tmgilbert1071
    Tmgilbert1071 Member Posts: 6
    edited January 2016
    Options

goldenbride

Yes the Ken doll (swelling in the pubic area) I think we've all experienced it and from what I understand it does eventually go away but not overnight. I'm 1 month post stage 2. I still have some mound swelling but it has gone down quite a bit. Massage everywhere and it doesn't have to be deep tissue. Your lymphatic system moves with little pressure. Move your message with the flow of the fluid. Like your arm move from wrist up to shoulder I never thought my stomach would return to normal because it was stretched so tight, skin is crazy flexible anyway, this too shall pass.

• NotAgain2015
    NotAgain2015 Member Posts: 70
    edited January 2016
    Options

lol - ken doll - perfect analogy... I have that too.

• myajames
    myajames Member Posts: 50
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Been home since Thursday night. Showered once. It took a lot out of me. Gonna try and shower again today. I've been walking around my room a bit... But would much rather venture outside. I know that's currently not recommended... But I'm going a bit stir crazy.

Saw myself completely naked for the first time. Barely recognized myself. This belly and these boobs. Whoa! My pre Diep boobs breast fed 3 boys, and did not like to sit up... They were loungers. These new foobs stand up, and are fuller and bigger. I keep walking to the mirror to look. Weird. I know it's me. But don't quite believe it.

Anyway. Most of my complaints are about being comfortable. I don't really hurt as much as I'm generally uncomfortable. Think maybe I should move around more. I'd give anything for a huge stretch. In time I guess.

Updated picture below
  • CarolinaAmy
    edited February 2016
    Options

NotAgain, we do have the same surgeon! I'm so glad to hear things went well and that you are happy with your experience so far. That's a huge relief. And thanks for the tips on the stuff we'll get at the hospital. Was your eventual room in the 4th floor oncology wing? I was there for two weeks in November (totally sucked) but I'd love to have the same staff there; those nurses were amazing and I think I met pretty much all of them. Loopy

jlstacey, my pre-op isn't until March 8! I'd rather get all that out of the way and also learn whatever I need to so I'm prepared. Ah, well, I need to stop fussing.

I'm trying not to stress over the fact that my MO is skipping my Taxol treatment tomorrow because of worsening neuropathy. She may actually stop it for good, depending on what happens this week. I'm freaking over that as much as I am the possibility of screwing up the dates on the calendar. Ugh. I certainly don't want to do permanent damage to my nerves, but with triple negative, I need to hit this with everything I DO have as an option. I don't have the safety net of AIs or hormonal treatments. :(

• goldenbride
    edited February 2016
    Options

Heading to see PS tomorrow for my 1 week followup. I ran out of my rx oxy yesterday and a half to admit I don't miss them. I'm actually not in very much pain. Mostly uncomfortable. Bored stupid of sitting in the recliner healing, even though I get up and walk around the house often, it's not like I'm up and about for half an hour at a time. I think by the time the weekend gets here I will be up to doing light housework. One of my two Drains is still filling up about 50 mL each day. Lots of bloated belly and swelling below the boobs.

• jlstacey
    edited February 2016
    Options

GoldenBride, I would advise not doing light housework! My drains were in FOREVER after my BMX because I kept doing too much. OMG, it was so annoying. It's hard not to do things that need to be done, but I ended up staying in ALL weekend one weekend just to get that final drain out!

CarolinaAmy- I thought we had the same surgery date, but mine is a month before yours. Two weeks from Thursday is DIEP day! Did you join a chemo thread? There were several ladies in my thread who finished chemo early due to neuropathy. I know it's scary, because I'm TN too.

Pre-op was unexciting. MO appointment was OK- I am getting a brain CT next week for peace of mind.

• Stunned_at_33
    Stunned_at_33 Member Posts: 4
    edited February 2016
    Options

I have to apologize, I kind of skipped right to the end without really reading the previous posts. I'm looking into having a stacked DEIP/PAP flap surgery to replace my implants and I'm just wondering if anyone else has heard of the stacked flap surgeries or has had one done. Haven't quite made the final decision on it yet as I am very nervous about it and not sure how much longer I can deal with this left implant as it is driving me crazy!!

• myajames
    edited February 2016
    Options

1 week 1 day post surgery.

Hoping to get my drains out tomorrow. Draining about 15 ML per drain a day. I'm dying to wear regular clothes... Sweats and a cami... It's all a girl wants

I'm going to ask the doc if I can wear Shapewear instead of this binder. Anyone else trade their binder for Spanx?

• CarolinaAmy
    edited February 2016
    Options

jlstacey, yes, several of the girls on my chemo thread had to stop Taxol early for the same reasons. I know you get why it's a little more nerve-wracking since you're also TN. Without that whole other treatment arm, I want to get that whole chemo regimen under my belt!! And boy, did I ever confuse things. Chemo brain saw 2/18 and I confused it with 3/18, my date. LOL I know that my last chemo was/is supposed to be 2/9, so the February dates have a lot of meaning. Duh.

myajames, way to heal so quickly!! I'm so glad things are going well for you. :) My PS and his colleagues don't use binders AT ALL. They're very minimalist and apparently don't want anything on your body that could remotely affect blood flow. Weird. So what the other ladies have advised is, once you can handle the clothing over incisions, grab some Spanx or shapewear to support the incision. Seems the surgeons are all over the map in terms of their philosophies, right?

goldenbride--NO HOUSEWORK! You are WAY too early to be doing this! I know it's frustrating, but you really do need to consider 'healing' as your full-time job right now. Otherwise the healing will just take that much longer.

• goldenbride
    edited February 2016
    Options

Lol! Thanks everyone. I guess since this is my 4th huge surgery, I'm getting a little antsy a little sooner! Today I had one of the last 2 drains taken out, and he was going to take the last one out but I asked him to please leave it in since the swelling is pretty uncomfortable yet. It is on my left leg. The drive to his office today was over an hour each way, so by the time I got home including this afternoon I've had almost 70 mL's of fluid come out today. Still bright red.

My plastic surgeon is one that does not believe in wearing any binding or compression garments. I literally came home with nothing covering my incisions except for my clothing. I'm sick of wearing sweatpants, granny panties and baggy tshirts!!!!!

He told me today that I'm allowed to lift my arms up over my head finally and actually encouraged me to do so. He also told me that I'm allowed to do whatever I feel up to doing. I'm completely done with any narcotic pain medicine, and have had absolutely nothing for pain at all today.

Starting to feel better day by day!

• goldenbride
    edited February 2016
    Options

FINALLY!!!! These 770cc's (each) are OUT!!!image

• tanyarocks30
    tanyarocks30 Member Posts: 53
    edited February 2016
    Options

can I have a glass of wine the night before?

• myajames
    edited February 2016
    Options

Hey ladies!

Saw my PS today! He took all but one drain out. He said that when one drain is removed, the remaining one starts collecting more fluid. I go in again on Friday to remove the final one. Can't wait. He also ok'd my need for Spanx. I'm already over the binder.

Things are healing well. I have these doc ear things where the drains were/are that in hoping resolve themselves... However PS says if not he will "fix" it. Boobs look great, although I haven't even tried to wear a bra yet. Maybe I'll look for one tomorrow.

I feel way better. Very little pain. Boredom is starting to creep in. Plan on going for a walk tomorrow. I live near the beach and am looking forward to smelling the ocean.

• grateful99
    grateful99 Member Posts: 180
    edited February 2016
    Options

Congratulations, myajames!

• jlstacey
    edited February 2016
    Options

Myajames- wow! That's fantastic! I think those dog ear things are pretty normal. I'm jealous you are going for a walk on the beach! Keep up the good work! After my BMX, I watched all three seasons of Orange is the New Black and a British show called Restoration Home. I'm up early and am thinking of gettting a new portable dvd player and some dvds to watch in the hospital.

ErskineGirl and Ducky- I hope both of your surgeries went well and you are feeling OK! Let us know how you are doing when you can.

Mel- good luck tomorrow!

Goldenbride- fantastic! I don't know if implants feel like TE, but if they do, good riddance to them!

Stunned- I have heard of a stacked DIEP, but I don't know anything about them. Have you posted a separate thread in the Breast Recon area, or even asked about it in the 2014 thread? I think you might get responses with one of those. Good luck! I wish I had info for you!

CarolinaAmy- did you stop Taxol? I don't have neuropathy, but I might as well have it. My hands go numb, but it is positional. My PT thinks it might be related to the TE and the pull on muscles. I'm waiting until after my DIEP to consult with a doctor about it. My right hand is numb as I type and it sucks.

My chest CT was fine. Now I have a brain CT next week. And I didn't get the job. Par for the course in my life.

• tanyarocks30
    tanyarocks30 Member Posts: 53
    edited February 2016
    Options

it's so awesome to read all these fantastic healing stories! I also want to live near the beach!

goldenbride.......make sure you don't over do it! not worth having a set back in recovery.

jlstacey.....good news on the chest CT. what day is your brain CT? as for the job......something better is waiting for you. still sucks though.

as for me, yesterday I was feeling really angry about all of this and had a good cry. i hate being at work but I know it's better than me being at home doing nothing, for now. it's just the waiting to get this show on the road that drives one crazy. I just come here to read how great everyones recovery is going and I feel better. SO THANK YOU EVERYONE!

• sportysister
    sportysister Member Posts: 47
    edited February 2016
    Options

Hello Ladies,

I've been a member a few years, never posted, just absorbed all the info, lol! I had bmx 12/2008 with immediate placement of expanders. Had them swapped out for implants and due to infection, had to have the right implant (cancer side) replaced. Kept having capsular contraction, had the right side replaced 2 more times. Soooooo, now the right side is encapsulated again and folded so I'm kissing them goodbye! Have DIEP scheduled for Feb 19. I have a question, right now I'm a C cup. I would like to be a small B/B. I am so tired of having heavy, hard balls on my chest. Ijust want to be light. But would this mean the Dr will take less off? Or is there a basic flap that they do and then trim it to fit? I know the benefit of the smaller stomach should be the last thing to think of, but I really would like to get the most out of this, without sounding greedy LOL!

All of you women are warriors!