Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

DIEP Flap Reconstruction 2016

Options

Comments

• Lilyn
    Lilyn Member Posts: 156
    edited January 2016
    Options

I am not doing nipples think I will have colourful daisies tattooed on on each breast where nipple should be :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

• PiNKiDC51
    PiNKiDC51 Member Posts: 49
    edited January 2016
    Options

Trvler -

I've updated my diagnosis info. When I first filled my profile out, I considered the diagnoses similar enough when there was an option that said "both" I just chose it. Long and short, my grades for each diagnosis are not the same though the rest was/is. Even so, I'm not how accurate the grade info is. Supposedly, my left tumor in October was rated as grade 1 and my right tumor was rated as grade 2; however, with my SLN biopsy the left nodes are positive whereas my right are negative for involvement. So, obviously there is more going on with the satellites of the left breast - this breast is considered multi-focal - and the cancer (at least some portion not given the grade 1 rating) is more aggressive.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think I'm really rushing at this point by saying I just want the cancer remove (and this from a person that desperately wanted to have immediate reconstruction). I've been trying very carefully not to rush, but also not take too long to make a decision. Friday night's news is new information for me, but the more I've thought about it, I just don't understand why chemo and shrinking a tumor for a mastectomy is important for a better outcome??? I totally get this if I was still after a lumpectomy (which is truly what I originally wanted). However, after having spoken to some survivors and even reading some on this site, I've resigned myself to a mastectomy and I just don't get how chemo gives a better outcome in this instance. If this is the case, I'd very much like to understand. I'd truly appreciate any further insights you or the other ladies could provide.

Otherwise, I think my inclination is to simply request to get the surgery on the books and deal with Chemo afterwards. I mean couldn't a MO ultimately totally recommend a different treatment after they've received the full profile on my tumors rather than just the picture that 3 sentinel nodes provides?? I fully admit I'm going to need to do research tomorrow (I tried to pull back and have some family time this weekend), but again, I'd appreciate any knowledge you or others can provide me.

Wrt axillary dissections - from what I understood from my BS on Friday, he's recommending an axillary dissection and removal of all lymph nodes. Now, I've also not investigated this yet either, but I did think this extreme was avoided nowadays. That the thought today was only to remove as many lymph nodes as absolutely required, so as to minimize the chances of lymphodema (which I'd REALLY like to avoid - I saw my grandmother go through this). I do understand any removal - even as few as 4 for a SLN Biopsy increases the chances, but my understanding is the more removed, the more likely. And, then radiation also increases the chances of lymphodema. Is there more chances of lymphodema with radiation than a complete removal of lymph nodes? Am I getting to wrapped around things - is it more typical to always remove all lymph nodes during a mastectomy and that's why typically radiation is not required after a mastectomy?

I appreciate everyone's knowledge and support! I hope all had a good weekend!!!

• grateful99
    grateful99 Member Posts: 180
    edited January 2016
    Options

Pink, here is some information for you:

http://www.breastcancer.org/treatment/planning/can...

It looks like it depends on what they found in the sentinel limph node.

• rosiesgirl
    rosiesgirl Member Posts: 24
    edited January 2016
    Options

Hi! Please add me to the DIEP list. I saw my plastic surgeon on Friday. I am going to be scheduled for DIEP flap but my plan is to wait until after my daughter's wedding, which is June 11. I was not going to be on the schedule until March or April and I don't want to take the chance of running into any complications with the upcoming wedding, showers etc. I am going to request to be scheduled in July or August. I will have my surgery at University of Michigan with Dr. Mohma as my surgeon. I am deciding on whether or not to have prophylactic mastectomy on my right side and DIEP on both. I am leaning that way right now on having the prophylactic mastectomy right now. Has anyone made the decision to have prophylactic at the time of DIEP? What influenced your decision?

• grateful99
    grateful99 Member Posts: 180
    edited January 2016
    Options

Hi rosiesgirl. I decided on prophylactic mastectomy for my right breast and DIEP for both sides at the same time. My decision is based on fear of recurrence in the other side and then having to go through the same process once again: surgery, chemo, radiation, reconstruction as I did with my left breast. It is too stressful to worry about. It involves two surgeons, so I had to sign two consent forms and now have to wait longer for when both surgeons and the operating room are all available at the same time.

• goldenbride
    goldenbride Member Posts: 12
    edited January 2016
    Options

I always joked with my husband that I will get googly eyes tattoo'd on ;)

• BigSister-2015
    BigSister-2015 Member Posts: 298
    edited January 2016
    Options

Pink, I am so sorry about the SNB results. My heart goes out to you. I think that you and I have similar temperaments. My default mode is to conquer everything, and I usually manage to manage anything that comes my way.

I did find that breast cancer does not lend itself to management very well. It is so complicated that I can't wrap my head around it all (and I am a good wrapper!). I have to put myself in the hands of physicians and trust their judgement. It is so hard. One thing I did learn in my journey this year is that my pushing for what I wanted often backfired. When I had my second infected TE, the PS said that we were back in the same boat: remove the TE (but this time it he did not want to reinsert it again) or try antibiotics.

With the first infection the doc said that antibiotics rarely work. With the second infection I hesitated to remove the thing because I knew that I was closing the door on implants on that side. The PS responded to my hesitation with, "Do you want to try the antibiotics?" I jumped at it, and it was the worst decision ever because it landed me in sepsis. I ended up much worse off than I would have been if I had just said, "Take it out, now."

Since then, I am more careful to seek the advice of my physicians before I push my agenda. Why? Because there are so many variables that I cannot take into account to really understand what is going on. I can study, but I also need the "gut feeling" of my docs who have much more experience taking women down this road.

Any who, here are some of my gleanings to answer your questions.

Tumor Grade

Tumors are graded in a variety of ways. One is to look at the cell shape and how it is dividing. They look for "tubular formation," which is a good thing. They also look for the shape of the nucleus of the cell, whether it is uniform and small or large and abnormal. Finally, they look at how many of the cells they see under the microscope are in the process of dividing. Grade 1 is low and Grade 3 is high. The higher the grade, the more aggressive the cancer.

They can also grade the cells by differentiation. Undifferentiated cells look very different than their parent cells (normal, noncancerous). These are the most aggressive and are considered "Grade 4." Poorly differentiated (Grade 3) cells are a little less bad. Moderately differentiated cells (Grade 2) have changed a little from the parent cells, and well differentiated cells are most like their parent cells (Grade 1) and are the least aggressive.

Breast Cancer Stages

Tumor grades should not be confused with cancer stages. The stage is the estimate of how far a cancer has spread. They are measured by looking at the tumor size (T), lymph node involvement (N), and metastasis (M) or spread to other parts of the body. Stage 0 is for in situ cancers. Invasive cancers get a number.

You can read about staging and treatment options here: http://www.breastcancer.org/symptoms/diagnosis/staging

Chemo or Mastectomy First?

I don't know enough about the options to help here. There was a thread on this back in 2011. See: https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/108/topics/770335#post_4162826

According to that thread, many women have chemo first, especially for aggressive cancers.

It sounds like you need to see the MO to figure out what the best course of treatment is for you. Remember that cancer treatment is the result of years of clinical trials where they tried a bunch of things to determine which was more statistically effective. Everyone is still unique, so that is where the skill/experience of your team comes in.

Lymph Nodes

As I understand it, a positive sentinel node indicates the need for additional lymph node dissection to determine the extensiveness of the spread which will affect the treatment of choice. The nice thing about the seminal option is that they can check 2-3 sentinel nodes instead of always taking the lot of them.

I am having trouble figuring out what is meant by a "bio-profile" that you BS wants to order. Best I can tell is that it looks at a variety of markers and determines the aggressiveness of the cells.

You are right: lymphedema is a real risk of any lymph node dissection, even sentinel nodes. But they may not be able to accurately determine your treatment plan without the dissection. As someone said on the 2014 thread, a lot of breast cancer options is choosing between Crappy Option A and Crappy Option B. (She was referring to reconstruction itself, but I think it goes much further than that.)

Question Your Team

I don't know if what I am writing here is of any help. I sure hope I am not coming across as telling you what to do. I am just trying to fill in some information for you so that you can make a choice.

My gut is that you need to evaluate your team and determine if you are happy with each on on it. I don't know if they are all in the same center such that you can have a team meeting to discuss the options? Your case certainly demands a multi-discipline approach.

Hope that helps. My heart is so heavy for you.

Jill

• BigSister-2015
    edited January 2016
    Options

I am 5.5 weeks out from my Stage 1 DIEP, and I am doing fairly well. I started teaching my one-day-a-week classes at Week 4, and tolerated it pretty well. Each day I do a little more. Last week I was doing computer work for 3-5 hours/day. I felt fine, albeit tired, for most of the week.

Ups and Downs

However, during the night on Thursday when I was turning in bed I felt something odd. It felt like something was ripping/tearing. It was painful in one particular spot. The next day, I felt stabbing pain in that spot now and then. Everything looked fine, but it was disconcerting. My PS said it sounded like some scar tissue was "settling." Anyway, a few pain pills later and all is well.

I am pretty whipped this weekend, so I have been resting. On Friday morning my eldest daughter decided to drop the blade from her Ninja blender on her right foot, so I had to take her to the doctors to get stitched up and then worry about her because she had to drive out of town the next day. The joys of motherhood.

That seems to be the way of the DIEP: ups and downs for quite awhile. At least the general direction is up!

Nipples, Anyone?

Regarding nipples, I have been thinking of that too. I originally planned on nips, and I will likely stick to that, but it has been nice to just wear a shirt au natural. :)

On the 2014 thread they talked about nipple stickies. I thought that might be a good thing to try. It gives you the color/image without the surgery or tattoos. You can read about them here: https://www.breasthealing.com/temporary-nipple-tattoos/

I think I might get a set and see what I think. I am sure that will help me decide. :)

• goldenbride
    edited January 2016
    Options

Good evening ladies!

I don't find much time to post, but do enjoy reading everyone's experiences.....advice.....and tales.

This coming Friday will be my DIEP flap surgery. This is to FINALLY rid myself of my troublesome implants. The first set ended with capsular contraction on the (R) cancer/radiated side. When I went in to have that implant swapped out, I awoke with TWO new implants, and 7 POUNDS of tissues removed from the 'dog ears' I also woke up and found out the radiation tattoos were CUT out instead of lasered off, as I was told. My "quick" surgery was three times longer than anticipated, and my 2 weeks out of work ended up being 12 weeks (NO income, NO Short term disability :( and SO. MUCH. PAIN.) Needless to say I have not gone back to that surgeon. A year ago in December an MRI confirmed that the Alloderm under my right breast had torn/let go, and there was no longer anything holding up the weight of my 700cc breast.

Due to end of year insurance changes/deductible starting over, and NO DESIRE to have another surgery so quickly...I did nothing.

Last summer, my RIGHT implant began to drop, move, shift....and became painful with movement. I can only assume due to the weight of it pulling on my pec pocket (which had opened up.) Now, last month I found a new lump in my RIGHT breast. After a tense few days, an U/S, mammo, and FINALLY a PET scan, it was determined that there is NO cancer. Anywhere! But the lump remains. I was forwarded to a PS that comes HIGHLY recommended, and between my research, his 'right' answers, and my better insurance, it's a-go.

I am excited/terrified/nervous.....you name it. I feel that anything bad that can happen HAS happened to me.

I also have done a lot of researching of post DIEP photos, and they all seem so "perfect"......but I'm sure if they didn't turn out great, no one would be so quick to share THOSE pics. I am very concerned that I will be razzle-dazzled=promised an amazing outcome, but just end up with meh.

Dx 11/01/2010, IDC, Right, 3.2cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 3, 4/17 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 11/08/2010 including Lymph node removal- Right, Sentinel; Mastectomy: radical BILAT with immediate placement of TE's

Surgery 12/08/2010 Radical hysterectomy, Oopherectomy

Surgery 12/23/2010 Port insertion into vena cava

Chemotherapy:2 months dose dense Adriamiacin, Cytoxin; Followed by 2 months Taxotere (docetaxel) Radiation Therapy 28 rounds

Surgery 5/05/2011 port removal

Surgery 12/29/2011 Swap TE's for silicone implants

Surgery 04/15/2014 New implants due to capsular contraction; silicone gel

(Right) Alloderm failed

(Right) Lump found 12-11-15, followup with ultrasound, mammogram. Then Oncologist. Then breast surgeon. Finally sent for PET scan 12-16-15, ALL CLEAR!

DIEP scheduled for 1-22-16

• BigSister-2015
    edited January 2016
    Options

Hi CarolinaAmy,

Thanks for the encouragement. I am a 55 yo nurse, but now I teach home schooled students. I love to learn and try to share what I discover with others.

I did want to address your concern: My biggest obstacle with BMX/DIEP was the loss of sensation. That was my concern about the mastectomy in general. Three years ago I learned I was BRCA2+. My dad had breast cancer which led to the testing.

Although my regular doctor wanted me to get a prophylactic BMX, I didn't want to lose my girls when there was any chance they might not try to kill me. I decided to go with close monitoring and take them off when something turned up. I didn't have long to wait.

So let's talk sensation. It all depends on what gets cut. The newer surgical techniques seek to avoid cutting nerves as much as possible, but there are no guarantees.

After the BMX and implants, I was surprised at how things felt--no one really explains what it will be like. The most frustrating is the numbness in my underarm where they did the sentinel node biopsy. I had that on just one side, so I can compare the SNB side and the prophylactic. That was almost a year ago, and this week things are changing. It has become more sensitive, so I wonder if more nerve repair is happening. I have read that things can continue to improve for years. Nerves can't regrow, but they can reconnect. I don't fully understand it, but I do hope that things get a little better.

It is odd that I could feel my breasts, but not the skin. For example, if I had an itch on my breast and tried to scratch it, I could not feel the scratching. But if I rubbed my breasts, I could feel that. Thus I learned to rub when I itched. :)

After the DIEP, the sensation on the surface of the breast remained the same, numb if I scratched, but the way my breasts hang and jiggle feel so natural. If I grip my breast, I can feel the grip. When I run my fingertips over my breast, especially the outsides, I seem to feel them. I think my brain must fill in all the missing information, because things are working just fine when I am intimate with my husband.

The abdominal incision is not nearly as bad as I anticipated. I can feel scratching above and below it, so they must not have cut too many nerves, and when I rub my belly, it feels like it normally did. Things are a little swollen, but I expect that will settle down over time.

I don't know if that helps any. Sensation for the breast is about the same between DIEP and implants. But I sure like the general feel of the DIEP breasts over the TE hands down. I am especially enjoying not having the iron bra feeling or having something under my pectoral muscle that feels so odd when I would use that muscle to do anything.

I am especially glad that once I get through the rest of the revision(s), I will be done for life. Implants have to be swapped out every 10 years or so. I don't want to have to be messing with them in my later years.

HTH!

• trvler
    trvler Member Posts: 931
    edited January 2016
    Options

Pink: I had 2 nodes removed and the original surgeon wanted to take more out. My BS (from NOLA), said don't do it because the risks from lympedema are substantial. Radiation does put you at risk for lymphedema but apparently not as much as node removal. The idea with neoadjuvant chemo is to spare skin and possibly nipple. Not every one does it although I am told more and more places are doing it on the east coast. Although my BS is in NOLA, he is from NY.

I would get a second opinion on the lymph nodes. My original surgeon also told me they are getting away from taking out more nodes. Then he wanted to do it. My BS implied he wanted to do more surgery and told me I would get much more bang for my buck from Tamoxifen and rads. I guess time will tell if I did the right thing.

• PiNKiDC51
    edited January 2016
    Options

BigSister/Jill:

Yes, I am a manager - my BFF says "controller" - I like manager better. I am truly trying not to over manage . . . but being informed is important to me (and I'm a pretty good wrapper too that is also having trouble wrapping my head around all things BC - especially when they truly are Crappy Decision A and Crappy Decision B). I also do not trust easily at all - so, this is also something I'm trying to work on - though that's hard when I feel like I can't really investigate the doctor's like I do for other career professions. So far I like my BS (and he's the Chief of BSs), but that doesn't mean I'm going to blindly follow without asking questions/doing research.

As for your notes, please don't worry about imparting info. I've read so much - and while a lot has sunk in, it never hurts to have a review or a reminder of some of the things that must be considered (and to get others perspectives). As for grades and staging - I do get that. I only meant in my last post that I think there is more going on in my left breast as this is the one with the lowest grade (supposedly less aggressive), yet of the two tumors that have had biopsies on, the left is the side where I now have lymph node involvement. Something seems amiss - based on the grades, I'd have expected lymph node involvement more on the right than the left. However, as it is multi-focal on the left (and potentially multi-centric as there's an area that has not been biopsied), I'm just thinking now we've not had the full story. I hope the "bio-profile" (my guess about that is same as yours), tells more.

As for the link about chemo before surgery - thanks, it was helpful to read that. I had a PET that was good in November and with thinking that nodes were most likely negative (based on other markers), so I was not thinking about anything, but shrinking (and that just didn't seem logical with a mastectomy in the works). Anyway, I have other things to consider now. Have just spent a long time doing research - next up is trying to organize questions in my head to put them to paper.

I've also been reading A LOT about lymphedema (in hindsight I should've read on this topic more before my Sentinel Node surgery, but at least I am now). I now know that I want to set up an appointment with a lymphedema therapist. It may not prevent me from getting it, but it should help me better prevent it and manage it (should I get it - I've broken wrists and elbows and such, so I don't consider either of my arms strong, so lymphedema is really a scary thought to me).

trvler:

I found the following info regarding lymphedema at the link below: "The more lymph nodes you have removed, and the more radiation you have to the underarm and chest, the higher your risk."

http://www.breastcancer.org/treatment/lymphedema/h...

The way I interpret this, both removal and radiation put a person at a higher-risk. So, while one or the other seems like a gamble, both truly sound like a gamble. So, I agree I need to have more of a conversation about this whole removal business. I do want to make sure I'm not putting myself unnecessarily at risk for some sort of recurrence, but I also do not want to put myself at risk anymore than I have to for lymphodema.

If you haven't read all the stuff on lymphedema, might I suggest it. I've followed most all the associated links from an article I found via my profile and have learned there are a lot of things like blood pressure, injections, blood draws, etc that the sites recommends attempting to reduce as much as possible to reduce the risk. Now, considering all that I'm about to go through I laughed a lot at some of these things, but hey - it does not hurt to know to find out if there are other ways to do some of these things and attempt to reduce my chances. It would be nice if there was more on this, but apparently it's a lot of guessing right now.

http://www.breastcancer.org/treatment/surgery/lymp...

• trvler
    edited January 2016
    Options

Pink: They had a lymphedema specialist at NOLA and she goes through all of it with you…explains all the risks and what to do and so forth. I got a sleeve and gauntlet for flying as well.

• tanyarocks30
    tanyarocks30 Member Posts: 53
    edited January 2016
    Options

Goldenbride - just wanted to say that I am thinking of you the next couple days. hugs

• NotAgain2015
    NotAgain2015 Member Posts: 70
    edited January 2016
    Options

golden bride thinking of you. It feels so crazy leading up to surgery day. Before you know it you will have this behind you and hopefully be pleased with your results. Let us know how it goes !!

• myajames
    myajames Member Posts: 50
    edited January 2016
    Options

I know people mean well, and are usually as embarrassed as I am annoyed when they say insensitive things. It's hard to know what to say to someone who is having a double mastectomy. However, for some reason, I've been extra snarky and short tempered lately. So I was less patient with the person who asked this most unfortunate question.

Her: cancery blah, sorry to hear blah

Me: I'm good. Seriously. Don't worry

Her: aren't you going to feel like less of a woman after you have your surgery.

Me: not because of the surgery, more because of the penis I've been growing over the past couple of months. I'll let you know when it's full grown and tell you if I still feel like a woman.

Her:....

I almost feel bad, cause I could tell she felt bad.... But Geeeze people... Think before you speak!

• CarolinaAmy
    CarolinaAmy Member Posts: 215
    edited January 2016
    Options

myajames, that lady was asking for it. ;)  Seriously, what a terribly insensitive thing to say!! And I would have paid money to see that whole thing.  Loopy

• trvler
    edited January 2016
    Options

Yeah, I have to concur with CA on this one. She got what she deserved.

• goldenbride
    edited January 2016
    Options

thanks guys. It's hard to believe the surgery is in 3 days already. Its been a long 5 years, and I've been through enough garbage that I hope this is the end of the road. I'm not a vain person and I really am not for or against having boobs, but I keep having problems with my implants and I just can't seem to have them removed and just go without. I guess I just keep thinking that after everything I've been through I deserve to look "normal".

I spent the day doing a lot of cooking ahead, as we have 3 children. Did a lot of paperwork, registered with the hospital, filled out the leave of absence papers for work, did some filing and organizing around the house. We have a meal train account up and running, so I did contact everybody that has signed up and discussed my sons gluten free status. Lots of things to think about, complete, organize and get ready before I go into the hospital. On top of everything I have been very sick for the last week with a sinus infection and strep throat. Darn sickness keeps just hanging on I was hoping to be over it a few days before surgery.

• PiNKiDC51
    edited January 2016
    Options

Myajames - Wow, you handled that much better than I would have! It is because of fears like that that I've not said anything to folks outside my inner most family/friend circles. I will have to try to remember your response if any of my treatments should make my diagnosis obvious. I'm afraid at this point, I'd probably have ended up crying. Again, kudos to you!!!

Goldenbride - Ditto on all the well wishes!! Wishing you all the very best!

trvler - I saw a physical therapist today that I've seen for a couple other issues over the years. Anyway, learned my PT (who practices a holistic approach to therapy) is a CLT. I knew that she used pressure points and was hoping she'd be able to do that to give me range of motion on the left side after last week's surgery. Instead, she did lymph therapy/massage and I'm feeling much better. Anyway, I'm now going to use her - someone I already know and trust - to get me through this aspect and help me attempt to minimize lymphedema risk. The easiest solving of a real and potential problem since my original diagnosis in October! Thankful for small miracles at the moment!!

• BigSister-2015
    edited January 2016
    Options

myajames, what a comeback! I can never think that quickly on my feet.

As they say, there is no cure for stupid. It sounds like your "friend" is a touchy-feely sort and really wanted to express concern. When you held her off with "I'm good, don't worry, etc.," she pushed to get to your feelings, which was in itself inappropriate and intrusive. I am sure she had to think long and hard about your response!

One thing that might help touchy-feely people is to acknowledge their concern. When someone expresses that they care, just say, "Thank you, I really appreciate that." Hopefully, that will be enough for them to sense that their concern is noted. If they keep pushing, then they do deserve some kind of comeback to indicate "enough."

I haven't told everyone in my circles about my breast cancer. It is just easier to keep it close to home. I remember someone saying how their boss told everyone in a meeting. How rude. I would get HR on him to remind him about the privacy laws. My husband didn't tell anyone at work for a long time, and even then it was only to a few trusted friends who had the sense to keep their mouths shut.

• trvler
    edited January 2016
    Options

Golden: I wish you all the best with your surgery.

Pink: That's good you have her. I have had a hard time finding a masseuse who had experience with lymphedema. I don't have it but since I am at risk, I want to have someone who knows about it.

• jlstacey
    jlstacey Member Posts: 117
    edited January 2016
    Options

Pink- here's my two cents:

Lymph Node involvement and Grade: Although it seems like left side is more aggressive, I'm not sure that is the way to approach it. More than likely, it's just been there longer and had more time. I had Triple Negative Breast Cancer. It was grade 3, and was 4cm on the MRI. I had no node involvement. That's a pretty decent sized tumor, but it had grown quickly. So quickly, that there were a lot of dead cells found because the more aggressive the cancer, the more volatile. I had neoadjuvent chemo. Chemo sucks any way you cut it, but it gave me a lot of time to decide on exactly what I wanted to do surgically! So, I wouldn't get hung up on that.

Chemo- What are your doctors telling you about why they want to do chemo first? I think if you have lymph node involvement, it is common to do neoadjuvent chemo. They want to get any cancer that is possibly in your blood stream treated. Get a second opinion from another MO to ease your mind.

Removing more nodes- Again, I'm not surprised by this. There is the possibility it is more of your nodes.

Mya- that was the best response ever! What a ridiculous thing to say to someone. I don't think I would have handled it so calmly!

Goldenbride- Good luck on Friday! I hope you get over that infection ASAP too.

I was planning to do a bunch of cooking today to make freezer meals, but I just can't get motivated. I have planned, just not bought the ingredients and done the cooking. I'm not sleeping well and am just feeling run down. I had my port out a week ago, and I guess I am still recovering from chemo, but I hate this fatigue!

• omickijo
    omickijo Member Posts: 38
    edited January 2016
    Options

myajames- I wish this thread had a "like" button! I wish I was so quick on a comeback for things like that....I stew and think of a hundred comebacks over the next few hours.

• jlstacey
    jlstacey Member Posts: 117
    edited January 2016
    Options

Hello ladies, I have added tips to the original post. I am gathering them from the DIEP 2015 thread. I've thrown in a couple from my mastectomy last summer as well. Let me know if you have any to add.

Jena

• myajames
    myajames Member Posts: 50
    edited January 2016
    Options

I wasn't sure rather or not to come out of the boob closet. For awhile, I kept the news between myself and close friends and family. However, right before the new year I wrote a single Facebook post. Mostly because I have a big family and the news was slowly leaking out. I would get random calls from relatives I haven't spoken to in awhile, and my response was always, "My mom must have spoken to you". I can say, that the response and support I have received from both my related and work family has been awesome. I have way more good stories than bad. I mentioned wanting a recliner for recovery to a friend at work, and the next day found out that the company pitched in and got me an $800 gift certificate to Ashley furniture. Those are the stories I normally think of when someone says something dumb. Yesterday just happened to be a bad day. By nature, I'm extremely positive and optimistic. I'm silly, and laugh way more than I do anything else. However, I felt grey and stormy. I didn't want to talk boobs. I had no interest in answering any questions. Being patient seemed impossible. Thank goodness for new days, cause it seems.. At least for today… The sun is back out.

Surgery is this Monday. Nervous. I'm sure everything will be ok... but... i'm nervous anyway.

• tanyarocks30
    edited January 2016
    Options

MYAJAMES: I have the grey and stormy times as well. We are the same. LAUGH LOTS!!! I created a private facebook group to post the news etc. that way I have one spot to post all updates. close friends/family are in the group, about 25 I guess. I get very emotional talking about it on the phone so I have requested no phone calls. just emails/texts (other than from my dad & brother of course). it is just so tiring having to repeat the same thing over and over.

I am a very social person so a few people at work know (HR & my boss/close co-worker) but no one else in my department knows. I will probably tell them the day before my last day so they know what is happening straight from me. rumours are dumb. plus, I am not hiding anything. the more support I have the better.

Your work place is awesome. Mine is also covering all my doc appointments up to my surgery so I don't have to use the non-existant sick time I don't have lol.

One day at a time.

• CoolgrammieNC
    CoolgrammieNC Member Posts: 17
    edited January 2016
    Options

myajames and tanyarocks...I can relate to both if you. I too hate talking about it, the first time I actually admitted it to someone, it was a perfect stranger, a saleswomen in a little gift store, I actually feel bad now because I think she did not know what to say to me. But since then it has become a lot easier and now that my surgery date is getting closer, I just can't wait to get this part over and look forward to getting better.

Thank you all for all your posts, it has been so encouraging to know that other people feel the same way and that we all can cheer and cry with each other.

Good luck everyone with your upcoming surgeries, Happy thoughts and prayers

• tanyarocks30
    edited January 2016
    Options

GOLDENBRIDE: just wanted to check in with you and see how you are feeling today, one day pre-surgery?

• PiNKiDC51
    edited January 2016
    Options

To all that have already had the DIEP Flap surgery - I am very frightened about the aspect of mastectomy. Seeing the pictures of the results right after surgery with deflated TEs devastated me on New Years Eve day. Just to give you an idea of things for me, I've had a SLN biospy and it was days and days before I looked at the scars. The first time my husband changed the dressing, not even looking, I nearly passed out. Now looking these scars make me ill. I already knew all this before this first surgery and before I saw the first pictures from start to finish of the reconstruction process. It's one of the things I think of most and causes me to cry the most.

I know I will most likely not be able to look at myself in the mirror for most of this process. I am considering covering the bottom half of the large mirror in my bathroom to help ensure I don't accidentally see myself and turn into a heaping mess. However, I'm not even sure if that will help as I'm going to have to get dressed and how do I do that without looking at myself? Then tonight I read the article below. I came across it while trying to google for different clothing and such that I might need for the recovery process. I think I was thinking this article might be more about types of shirts with drain pockets needed after the hospital, maybe recommendation of sites for different clothing lines (which it does have one, but I've not even gone to that yet after reading this), and other similar things - what I didn't expect was what the article was actually about. Now, I need to know - Are the things in this article (not video) true with regards to bras and clothes?

While I was not and am not expecting things to be the same (how can they be if you lose sensation, have a tattoo areola/nipple, size change because of what your body has to give with regards to tissue, etc), but I was not expecting that I'd never fit into normal bras or clothes normally. Yes, I sort of felt like maybe I'd have to get bras in a new size - I even just recently bought a new bra that is supposed to stretch to a persons cup size (you just buy it based on your width (34, 36, etc) and I even bought it a size larger as I read about the swelling after surgery and that after getting out of the bra they give you - that a loser fitting bra is recommended.. However, long and short, this article makes it sound like wearing a normal bra and normal clothes will never happen again. If that's truly the case, I need to prepare myself for that as I've been trying to concentrate on things being more "normal" at the end. And, I'm already trying to figure out in my mind what sort of dress I might be most comfortable with in the fall when my youngest is due to get married. So, for those who might monitor this - those that have completed this process and started attempting to dress more normal again - Are the things in this article true?

http://www.today.com/series/things-i-wish-i-knew/p...

Also, I don't know if any women on this thread topic have had a SLN biopsy prior to mastectomy, but maybe those who have had a mastectomy already - tonight under my right arm, I am very itchy higher up in my armpit (higher than my SLN Biopsy scars) and I'm also experiencing pain in the same region. Not unbearable pain (though the itching is very annoying), but because I am scratching/lightly rubbing the area to try to deal with the itchy feeling, I'm noticing a real sensitivity. Is this normal? Has anyone else experienced this type of thing while perhaps recovering from either a SLN biopsy or mastectomy? Thanks for the input.

Btw, anyone else experiencing not being able to change the font size on this site? I can bold and do other functions, but changing the font size like I've done before doesn't seem to be an available option.