Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo in February 2016?

Options

Comments

• blamoms
    blamoms Member Posts: 86
    Options

finished taxol last week. Having a nice 3 week break before starting rads on July 25. My arms are a mess. My right arm has a lovely rash from elbow to wrist which is from he chemo the doctor said. My left arm the bruises and marks from the tape from blood work. Looking forward to getting more energy back

• SerenitySTAT
    SerenitySTAT Member Posts: 3,534
    Options

GentleBird - So glad your surgery went well!

Frances & blamoms - do you get your platelet counts checked? Low platelet count can result in more bruising. Please let your MO know, and be careful of injuries. I'm still working on that. Also, I find really salty baths help my bruises heal faster.

My hospital makes note of my platelets along with hemoglobin, wbc, neutrophils, and creatinine before each treatment. The nurses update my chemo "passport" each time with the blood draw results and all the meds I'm given. I noticed my fatigue increased as my hemoglobin count decreased when starting Taxol. Now that my hemoglobin is getting back into normal range, my fatigue is not as bad.

Had Taxol #7 today. Iced hands and feet. Forgot to touch up my dark nail polish, so I rubbed vitamin E oil on my fingernails and nail beds right before Taxol. I kept my socks on my feet. No peripheral neuropathy so far. Had a few seconds of tingling on the outer edge of my right foot, but that's from sciatica. It sometimes happens from sitting too long from waiting between blood draw, meeting with MO, and chemo. We did walk outside after seeing the MO, but we didn't want to be out of earshot too long.

My neighbor brought over a coffee cake today. I looove coffee cake. I avoid most grains, but I will eat it if homemade or from a specialty shop. Grocery store/fast food products aren't worth the calories. Her coffee cake was delicious.

Off to brine myself, or take a salt bath. Have to get away from that coffee cake. I'm that weak.

• Myraknits
    Myraknits Member Posts: 191
    Options

Hi Feb Friends! I am thrilled to announce that my last chemo happened this past Thursday. The most exciting part is that, for the first time, the side effects are minimal. Almost no nausea and no heart palps. I even have a little bit of an appetite. Having an 8 week break made all the difference so I could regain my health.

In general, my eyes have finally stopped watering and my hair is starting to come in nicely although I'm wondering if this last infusion will knock it out again. Im still waiting for eyelashes to reappear.

Next phase is surgery, followed by 8 weeks of rads and Herceptin every 3 weeks till next Feb.

Sending love all around and hoping you are all past the worst of this mess. I think about you guys often!

• KarenInCanada
    KarenInCanada Member Posts: 194
    Options

Congrats Myra!!!! So glad you are finally done!!!!!

I am feeling not bad at all today!!! I had them do my Herceptin over 45 minutes instead of 30 yesterday and it seems to have helped a lot. Have only some tiredness from my rads, did number 9 today so only 12 more to go!

My hair is coming in although on top there are spots where it is slower. It's hard waiting for it to grow! Certainly more grey than I realized Bawling . Eyes still water a bit off and on. Life is finally starting to feel better.. Now to lose the chemo weight ...ugh

• scotbird
    scotbird Member Posts: 592
    Options

That's fantastic Myra you did it! So happy to hear that you are feeling well. I had my surgery 3 weeks ago am feeling fine and am back at work. Just have to do a month of rads and I'll be done. Can't wait! X

• Myraknits
    Options

So far so good. It's coming in pretty even. Now for some lashes

• SerenitySTAT
    Options

Hair growth looks really good. Congrats on finishing!

My hair is still mostly peach fuzz, but still in the middle of Taxol.

Be well, Fab Febs!

• Nolagirl1126
    Nolagirl1126 Member Posts: 178
    Options

Congrats Julia and Myra! It feels so different not being exhausted all the time. Sometimes it feels like it was so long ago, that it was a just bad dream. Other days, It is still very fresh in my mind.

Herceptin only is going good. I stopped taking the Tamoxifen, as I am 6 weeks away from Other MX/ Hip flap.

Serenity- thanks for the magnesium tip! I have a supplement...I will start taking again

• scotbird
    Options

Nolagirl have you still got the tennis elbow? I have it on both sides now and it really, really hurts. Do you think it could be chemo related. I don't play tennis either! X

• KarenInCanada
    Options

9 radiation treatments left!! Had number 12 today and my underarm is kind of burning sore. Been lying down with my arm over my head. I have 4 whole breast and 5 boosts and then I am done. I will then be given 2-3 months recovery before I go back to work. This has all really been exhausting. Can't wait until I feel more like myself! No eye lashes and very few eyebrows, right side more than left lol. Hair is coming in, finally getting some on a spot that was slower. Looks white and grey now.....

😀 we are all getting closer!

• chambo
    chambo Member Posts: 88
    Options

Last rads today and then I get my cancer diploma! I have eyebrows and eyelashes again, and the eye twitching and watering eyes has finally ended. Chemo fog is gone, and my energy I coming back. I didn't realize how tired and foggy I was until I wasn't anymore. I have a crew cut worth of hair...sort of like the last super short pre fall out haircut. Life is returning. I have a little bit of radiation burn to heal up, but then I am good. I hope to go a whole month before I see a doctor for anything...even an eye exam or teeth cleaning!

Cheers to all...I will check in on you periodically!

Lisa (Chambo)

• KarenInCanada
    Options

Awesome Lisa! So happy for you that you are feeling better and done!!!! So looking forward to that day! Just used my eye drops this morning for my watery eyes. They are not as bad but still water. So many things I am looking forward too....even going back to work!!!! 😄

Another hour or so before my next rads, time to get my eyebrows on Winking

• SerenitySTAT
    Options

Congrats, Lisa!

Eyebrows, yes! My makeup routine is spent on filling in eyebrows and lining my eyes. Must be getting better because people don't think I've lost my eyebrows.

• reflect
    reflect Member Posts: 280
    Options

Wonderful news Lisa! Glad you've got your life back! (My eyebrows are/were too pale for anyone to notice...I think. My new "quiz" is "What color is my hair--grey, white or platinum blonde?" My son knew right away what the correct answer was.)

• Francesj19
    Francesj19 Member Posts: 78
    Options

HI Ladies, long time no talk - I received my genetics tests back and I am negative so no mastectomy for me. One more week of Rads . My poor breast is so red and little blisters but I will take it over the chemo SE's. I am very tired all the time. My hair is coming back which is very exciting! picture to follow - not sure that it will be red though

Sad

wishing you all the best! thinking of you all everyday!

• Myraknits
    Options

Lisa, congrats!!💐💝💋. So glad you are heading toward the finish line.

Frances, you 2! It won't be long now. Are you still doing Herceptin for the rest of the year? I did 1 round of H alone and had no SEs at all! Are you using all the special creams they tell you about

Well my last chemo took awhile to kick my but but after 2 weeks the big D has arrived. Lots of Immodium and rest it knowing this was the last of the chemo makes a huge difference. I'm scheduled for a lumpectomy on Aug 4th followed by 8 weeks of rads through Oct. it's amazing how long this all takes.

• KarenInCanada
    Options

Frances! Great to hear from you! Good news about your genetics testing. 6 more days of rads for me. Last whole breast and then 5 boosts next week. I have some itchiness just beginning. Was told today to just put OTC hydrocortisone cream on that area only. Otherwise I only use one cream, a Glaxol based cream 3 to 4 times a day. Just a bit sore and pinkish red. Once I am done I will be off work for a while still.

I am very tired too and left for my rads appt today with no eyebrows lol.

This happened last Saturday tho........

Best night ever!

• Nolagirl1126
    Nolagirl1126 Member Posts: 178
    Options

Great Pic Karen!!

Chambro- congrats on finishing up!!!

Scotbird-still have the tennis elbow, but A LOT better than before. It was sooo painful for about 30 days. It may have been a post side effect, as it started post chemo

• reflect
    Options

So glad we are all getting there. This week was very hard for me. I was very depressed and couldn't really do anything but binge watch Netflix and sleep. Last week I had meetings with BS, PS and RO. That's what did me in I guess. I got cold feet about the proposed recon which was way over the top so I have decided to do only what is necessary for now for my cancer treatment and postpone everything else. I feel much better now. Talking with the onc social worker today during chemo was also helpful. Not sure I want the support group thing but we'll see. So, UMX (late August) and whatever node treatment is warranted and radiation 6 weeks and of course the tamox or whatever. But I will be done with all the big stuff by New Year's or maybe sooner. And I hope for much more energy and to get some other things going in my life besides dealing with cancer. Enough!

xo

Diane

• Francesj19
    Options

ladies I just posted in the rads group a concern that I have. wanted to run it by you as it is pretty frustrating. I have had a cough for a few weeks now. really since a week or two into radiation. I didn't think much of it until I started having some trouble swallowing. some of the ladies at radiation told me that it was due to the radiation so I started looking into it. Yesterday I decided to ask at my appt. Boy, they were adamant about letting me know that it was not possible to develop these symptoms this early and it could not be related to the radiation. there are other threads that I read from people with the same situation? thoughts?

it is a pretty dry deep cough - I will go to my primary - but really it could be possible - I don't need to make it up..

• SerenitySTAT
    Options

reflect - I'm with you on Netflix and sleep. I can't watch anything that needs to be followed closely though. I'm losing steam myself. I started with surgery in December, so rads will be next for me. 3 more Taxols left and then a break before rads. You're not alone.

Frances - My RO mentioned a dry cough could start, but she didn't say how soon it could show up. Is it possible that it's from chemo? Your PCP may be a good start. Hope it clears up soon. I would think the radiation team would want to help clear up a cough so that it doesn't affect your treatments.

Got some peripheral neuropathy. Intermittent right now. Starting supplements to make them go away.

• reflect
    Options

Hi Frances, hi Serenity,

No rads yet and no cough, did you ask your MO or only RO? Hope you get to the bottom of it. I have 3 more Taxol also, #10 tomorrow. Did anyone else find 7-9 the hardest?

I switched insurance and am finally getting a second opinion at Dana Farber on Friday. Will also have genetic testing next week. DF set it up and when I mentioned it to MO she said "We didn't do that?" Um no. Sometimes I feel like I've had to direct my own treatment fer Pete's sake. Which is why I'm glad for Friday!

Hope all of you are well and getting weller.

• Francesj19
    Options

Thanks Ladies - Rads all Done! the cough has lessened so that is good. BUT... I feel some pain on the right breast.. WHAT!!! and under my armpit.. I don't think so.. I hope that it is nothing, but that is sort of how this started out. I have Herceptin on Monday and will have the Doc check it out. Prayers that it is nothing..

• KarenInCanada
    Options

I finished rads today too! They warned me next week it will be at its worst but I get my Herceptin Tuesday so I can pop in to see them if it's too bad. Hopefully it is nothing Frances...please keep us updated. I have had a cough since before any of this started. I think it may finally be going away

• 33triple
    33triple Member Posts: 48
    Options

Hello loves!

Sorry so silent! I've been reading your posts and keeping you all in my hearts as we progress through recovery!

So happy to hear you guys are all kicking ass and taking names!!

My updates... I finished chemo May 25th, had a lumpectomy June 29th and start rads in August. Cold caps worked so I have a full head of hair and I had a pathologic complete response! On July 1st I was declared cancer free and have been working on getting my strength back with daily tread mill walks at the gym. My twitchy watery eyes are still at it and I can't wait for my eyelashes and eyebrows to start filling back in.... (I recently started loosing them). Herceptin will last through February

Our bodies are truly amazing and resilient. I'm so grateful we are all getting through this and love witnessing my body make strides everyday. Patience has been a great lesson for me through all of this.

I'm so glad the cancer is out of us!

Sending hugs and kisses!

Here's a photo of me celebrating with my buddy on his bday the day I found out I was cancer free

• scotbird
    Options

Lovely picture Triple you look great. I followed all your advice about the cold cap and I have a full head of hair too, it totally worked! You saved my hair! Thank you! I've also been in the gym today and was swimming in the sea yesterday. Not quite feeling back to normal yet but definitely getting closer! Starting rads next week, and really looking forward to being done with treatment after that. XX

• reflect
    Options

So thrilled for you 33 triple, that's amazing and wonderful news! Happy for all who are done with treatment, wow. Since I started with neoadjuvant chemo, I am just about to finish the first leg of the treatment--2 more Taxol and chemo is done.

I had my second opinion consults at Dana Farber yesterday and it was eye opening. I had to wait so long b/c my insurance wouldn't cover DF and I couldn't change until 7/1. I sent all my reports and hand carried my scans on CDs, while DF got pathology slides sent.

I met with MO in the morning and BS in the afternoon. They both consulted with radiologist at length. The biggest--and very exciting--difference in their opinion is that I may be able to have breast conserving surgery rather than MX which is thrilling to me. I do have two separate (very small) tumors and an area of ADH that needs to come out, but they think it's possible to do lumpectomies. I have very large breasts which means results would be OK. I am going back for repeat MRI and mammo at DF next week and we will see. I guess this also means we may see if chemo has had any effect. I will be so happy to have a two week recovery rather than 4+ and avoid the whole question of recon with attendant huge surgeries and many weeks out of work recovering OR having to wear a gigantic heavy prosthesis! I imagine a reduction on the other breast might ultimately happen if I choose, which is also less surgery than previous options.

Please send happy thoughts for me next Wednesday when I go for tests, and the following week Friday when I meet with surgeon for consult. I haven't felt this positive in a very long time.

xo

• Jghager313
    Jghager313 Member Posts: 2
    Options

Newbie here.

I was dx 6/7/16 w/IDC stage 2A as my tumor is 4.5 x 3.3 x 3.5. The found calsifications and another mass, all three biopsies where good. Had a biopsy of the lymph nodes also good. ER+ (18%) All testing and scans came back as good as well.

Oncologist recommended chemo first to shrink the tumor for better margins. So, my first tx was 6/18. I had my hair cut short before the tx because as I was told it's going to fall out anyway. I have 7 more tx to go the surgery. Not sure if they will be doing rad or not. Is 8 tx normal/protocol?? I have an appt with plastics in a couple of weeks to discuss surgery options.

Not sure if bmx or lump would be a better option for me. I read the recovery time is better with lump. Any recommendations?

Also, I wanted to know if it's normal procedure to do chemo first then surgery? I've asked this question multiple times and I keep getting the same answer, 'better margins', but if I have already expressed an interest in bmx why would they not just do the surgery.

Color me confused.

• KarenInCanada
    Options

Well, never thought I would say this, but I think chemo was easier than rads. I am done my 21, 16 plus 5 boosts and I am on fire. Red, bumpy, itchy,sore, nauseated from how sore it is. I hope this,next week or so goes very quickly!!!

I have been meaning to ask ...have any of you noticed the bottom of your feet feel different? Lol...I can't really describe it...maybe more sensitive? I just have a different sensation that I have had since chemo and wondered if it was just me!

Hope you are all doing well!

• Francesj19
    Options

HI ladies, thinking about you. I finished rads last Thursday! feeling okay. I am sensitive, and red but not too bad, putting lots of cream on. skin is peeling a little. Fatigue is some kind of real! I had Herceptin yesterday and met with the Onc about Tamoxifen. I really don't want to take it but looks like there is not a choice. I start in 3 weeks. I am also really have side effects still from the Herceptin only; bone/joint/muscle pain in legs and hands. I believe that the Tamoxifen will worsen it. My vision has not gotten any better nor has my brain, I still have chemo brain which rally effects my work! UGG. Anyone else still have that? Anyway, glad to be somewhat back to normal and not going to a doctors appointment everyday! It's the little things ladies..