Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo in February 2016?

Options

Comments

• __asher__
    __asher__ Member Posts: 106
    Options

blamoms- Yay to being done with chemo!!!

Myra- So glad you're done with chemo and the SEs, too. Thinking of you as you go into surgery.

NolaGrl- I agree that it feels like this was so long ago, but sometimes it doesn't. I feel like I haven't processed all this yet and when I do it will be major.

Chambo- Congratulations for crossing the cancer finish line!!! Thanks for setting up this thread. I know I've received so much from it. Much love to you.

Karen & Serenity- haha, I know what you mean about the eyebrows on. It's taken so getting used to penciling them in. I never had to before. I have to "erase" and start over at least once a day :D Karen, congrats on finishing up rads!!! I'm so sorry to hear how hard it's been on you. One step closer!

Frances- that's great you don't have to do surgery. I'm so sorry to hear about your SEs from the radiation. :( I hope you heal up well and soon. I'm happy to hear you're done!!!

Reflect- I'm happy to hear that you were able to go without MX! Rooting you on to the Taxol finish line!

Triple- *SO* good to hear from you and to know you're doing well. You look beautiful!

Scotbird- Yay to having hair! Good luck on your rads.

Imani- How are you????

JgHager- Hon, I think you might be in the wrong thread. There should be a June Chemo thread on the Chemo board. Welcome to BCO!

I had a double mastectomy with axillary node dissection on the 5th. Tissue expanders were also put in. It wasn't as bad as I'd imagined it would be. I'm glad it's over. The results came back with a PCR!!! What an incredible blessing! I am starting Occupational Therapy as I have some "cording" from the node dissection. Ouch! I also see the Radiation Oncologist this week to discuss rads. I'm a bit nervous after hearing all your SEs. Shocked My hair is all baby fuzz and I feel like I'm sloughing off so much dry skin! Much love to you all! I think of you and wish you well.

• KarenInCanada
    KarenInCanada Member Posts: 194
    Options

Rads is definitely tougher for me. Rads continue after you stop treatment for a week or so and I am so sore that 2 times this week I barely moved. Under my breast and the side where I had my boosts hurt with little movement (especially moving my arm). The rad team told me Tuesday that some people don't have problems with chemo and think rads are worse. I guess it is individual...but if I had my chemo last Friday at least I would be starting to feel better now......and never had pain like this either! I hope no one else has this problem!

I guess no one else has the weird sensation on the bottom of their feet. I'm thinking it's either the Taxotere made them feel funny or they are just happy to be wearing flip flops all summer instead of steel toe shoes! Time will tell!

Only Herceptin left for me. Had it on Tuesday so 12 more to go! That's 1/3 done already,..which is really amaging when a year sounded so long!

Hope everyone is having minimal side effects from whatever stage of this journey you are at! Xo

• reflect
    reflect Member Posts: 280
    Options

Hey gals,

Karen--I have tingling on bottom of feet and also sometimes fingers and toes...and elsewhere. Even reduced my Taxol by 20%--it's better but still the bottoms of my feet the most. 2 more to go.

asker--pCR, FANTASTIC! Enjoy your great news.

I have baby eyebrow hair only and very white fuzz on my head. Actually don't mind anymore, and kind of like the drama of white hair. Go figure.

I have been to Dana Farber twice now. First visit got my hopes up for lumpectomy, even though I have 2 (small) tumors and a 3rd area of ADH that needs to come out. Today I had mammos (many) and an MRI. They found a 4th area of "indeterminate calcifications" that will either need to be biopsied or punt me back to Mx next month. Problem is that it's a difficult spot for a needle biopsy--over my chest muscle so they may not be able to do it. And, they can still see the 2 tumors so pCR is not likely! So...long day, now more questions than answers. I see the DF surgeon next Friday.

I initiated a request to use the sick bank at work--just can't pull it together to work anymore. Long haul, right?

• __asher__
    Options

Karen~ I'm so sorry rads is hard! ((hugs)). It almost sounds like you have lingering neuropathy?

Reflect- ((hugs)) I hope the surgeon has some good suggestions on Friday. I'm thinking of you & I'd give you my vacation if I was there.

I met with the rad onc today and I'm going to go ahead and do 5 weeks. Holding my breath.

• Francesj19
    Francesj19 Member Posts: 78
    Options

Good Morning Ladies - you will get a kick out of this! I used hair product yesterday! HA.. Jel to spike my hair.. love it.. The top is growing pretty fast.. not sure of the color - its not red , but it is growing so I will take it..

would love to get some eyelashes though - kind of creepy without them.

Asher - hang in there - I am really feeling better today after the Rads. just made sure to use the lotions! start now pre rad so your skin is mouisturized.

• KarenInCanada
    Options

Thank you Asher! Reflect and Asher I am not sure if it could be a little neuropathy. I did think of that. It's just a weird sensation. I can live with it no problem, only really notice it when I am laying around which I happen to be doing a lot of this week. Still sore. I've used my creams faithfully and followed all directions given to me.

My hair is maybe half an inch to an inch in some places long . Lots of white gray in there but a darker colour too....perhaps dark gray or black, don't know. Salt and pepper hair maybe. My hair has never been dark. I was a white white blonde which started to go darker as I got older, but brown not black. I know I was about 50 percent gray. If it had all come in that white gray I may have kept it that way. Now I am not so sure. My eyebrows are coming in but one side better than the other. Once they are in I will go get them threaded and made to look better. The side with less has a lot of blonde in it. I can feel my eyebrows but can't really see them so they are growing. I also have a bit of area on top of my head that is smoother so I massage it a lot and it seems to help.

Asher I hope you have a much easier time with rads than me, you should, because apparently this does not happen a lot!

Reflect take the time you need for yourself to get through this if you can. I feel got anyone who has to work through this. I could not have done it and I can be a pretty tough cookie!

• Myraknits
    Myraknits Member Posts: 191
    Options

so glad to see everybody pop in for a sec!

Tina, congrats on PCR! Hope your rads go easily

Karen, sorry about rads being tough. I can't believe how far ahead you are! I don't think I'll start rads till Sept. I'm so glad to be on H only now. No SEs at all!!

Reflect, my hair's changing color every day. I thought it was coming in dark but it's changing to silver. Longer haul than I ever realized. Can't wait till this is all behind ALL of us!

Frances, I'm so excited for you. Hair Gel!! I can only dream right now. It's so nice to use shampoo on my 1/4 inch and pretend I have actual hair. Yep, I'd love some lashes. My eyes are still doing the waterfall thing but I can't complain as that's the worst of my SEs these days.

I think about you guys all the time. Sending love and good healing mojo.

Xoxox

• scotbird
    scotbird Member Posts: 592
    Options

Karen so sorry to hear about the SEs of the rads. I started mine this week and have had 3 so far with no SEs as yet (early days). I do feel a bit spaced out generally but that might not be a SE of rads! How soon after you started did it begin toget sore? XX

• KarenInCanada
    Options

ScotBird, my breast started to get pink and a little irritated between the 13th and 16th, then I had my boosts so the area that was itchy and irritated had a bit of time to heal since the boosts did not hit that area. For the most part the worst of it has been since I finished my boosts and have been at home. They told me it still gets worse for a week or so, well they were right! The worst part right now is where the boosts were

• reflect
    Options

Myraknits, I also get a secret thrill in shampooing my fuzz. I won't start rads until fall like you.

#11/12 today, done!

• __asher__
    Options

Karen~ I went to a BC support group meeting today and the woman sitting next to me had an absolute horror story regarding radiation! UGH! She had a blister form under her arm that was about the size of an orange! I wanted to cry for her! I thought of you and the tough time you're having with radiation. ((hugs))

Frances~ I'm starting to lube up like you suggested.Winking I'm so jealous of your hair gel, you don't even know. :P

Myra~ Thanks! My fuzz is about as long as yours is. I look forward to it getting longer. It seems to be taking forever.

• SerenitySTAT
    SerenitySTAT Member Posts: 3,534
    Options

Fab Febs!

Glad to see your updates. Congrats to those who have finished! I have 2 more Taxols and then rads.

Karen - I sometimes have tingling in the bottoms of my feet, but it always goes away when I get off my feet. Seems different than what you're experiencing.

Yes on hair excitement! Yesterday I felt real hair when I put aloe gel on my scalp. I pulled out a mirror to see dark hairs on the back of my head. I have a few patches on top of my head. Eyebrows are sparse. Almost no lashes.

Hope everyone has a great weekend! Off to see a movie this afternoon. Gotta take advantage of not working!

• imani76
    imani76 Member Posts: 44
    Options

Hello All,

I am checking in from my desk since I am back at work. Six months off was so long and making this adjustment has not been fun. I am half way thru rads and Im just starting to itch. Im a bit nervous about what's to come in the next 2 1/2 weeks with my skin. Im using coconut oil mixed with tea tree oil and peppermint oil on my skin three times a day. Although I stink like bengay that my grandmother uses every night it seems to be working well.

Im meeting with my MO on 9/8 and I will probably start Tamoxifen at that time. I also asked her to check my hormone levels prior to starting to make sure I'm not already menopausal.

Be well

• KarenInCanada
    Options

Hi Everyone!

Seems I am almost healed from my rads. Just one spot left to peel and the only part that is sore is my scar from the lumpectomy which also must have some scar tissue or something built up because it is lumpy. I am so glad rads are over and done and pain is almost gone. I still get the odd shooting pain in my breast too, but likely still rad related.

Just Hercepton left to go. Still tired but trying to get myself moving more to lose some weight before I have to go back to work and regain my stamina!

Thinking of you all and hoping SE's are becoming a thing of the past soon for everyone

• scotbird
    Options

Karen I'm so happy that you're feeling better. Take care of yourself. It's great that the treatment is nearly over, but the post traumatic feeling is still there for me. I'm trying to move on but struggle with it all on some bad days. Mostly I'm having good days though! One day at a time... Hope everyone else is moving on and feeling good. X

• KarenInCanada
    Options

ScotBird I am having a hard time emotionally a bit too. On one hand I can't believe this has happened all to me, as if I have been experiencing someone else going through it and on the other I a, relieved it is over, but question whether it really is. This has been a trauma for all of us ...and it happens so quick I didn't really think about a lot of the things I do now. We will get through it tho, day by day! We've made it this far and I will continue to post on here after mammo's, Hercepton etc. We all have a special connection! Xox

• reflect
    Options

Hello all

Imani, so great to hear from you. Getting back to work will be a big adjustment. Are you able to do PT and ease back in? I'm adjusting to not working as I've just (this last week) thrown in the towel on that. But I started with chemo--surgery next, then rads. Turns out the LT disability thing I've been paying for will be worthless as it doesn't kick in until I' m out 60, or maybe 90 days, and I'm sure I'll be back to work before then (famous last words I know). It is good to hear from you.

Today was my final chemo and I'm glad to see the back of that! Brought local handmade chocolates for the team and they gave my a scroll/certificate they all signed. My main nurse said I should keep on questioning and pushing back and advocating for myself. ... that felt good.

I found out last week that the mammos and MRI I had a Dana Farber do not indicate any change in size of tumors or nodes. I had several dark days. Slept two days and two nights straight. My MO says the path may show something, so, OK. MRI also showed another lesion which looks like a "satellite" of tumor 1 or tumor 2. Wonderful. So I have 2-3 tumors and an area of ADH all needing to come out, and DF has got my hopes up for possible lumpectomy (I have large breasts, cup size OMG so there's plenty to spare)--but don't know until tomorrow. Depends how close they are per MRI. The ADH is in a different quadrant but small.

9:00 genetics counseling and 1:00 with BS tomorrow and hopefully I'll know for sure. Please send positive thoughts as a lumpectomy with eventual good side reduction is the least invasive and least time off scenario for me. Rads (maybe Canadian protocol--half the time, dose dense) and AI on deck after surgery. Or maybe start AI right away.

I am still madly skating on cracking ice emotionally. Expect I'll crash through at some point. Increasing antidepressant and going to try massage/reiki/acupunture per my new PC (who I really like).

Onward. xo

• Myraknits
    Options

Hi All, I got good news today!! Lumpectomy and node biopsies yesterday show NO malignant cells! The chemo did it's job. The main tumor shrunk up to nothing and just left a few atypical cells, which my SO said was nothing and the other questionably positive site disappeared altogether. I finally feel like I'm on the other side of this mess. I asked and I still have to do rads but as far as I'm concerned.. we're just sweeping up the last remnants after the storm.

I hear you all re: the emotional front. I feel like I've been on a roller coaster all year. My poor husband's head's been bitten clear off this week. I'm going to try and relax this weekend now that the heavy weight is finally off my shoulders.

Sending lots of love and support to you guys!

• KarenInCanada
    Options

Yay! So happy for you Myra! Awesome news!

How did things go for you reflect? Congrats on the end of your chemo! Thinking of you!

• reflect
    Options

Wonderful news Myra! I'm so happy for you!

Karen, I got good news today. My DF surgeon feels we can do a kind of a wedge lumpectomy and another small spot and have a decent result. (from G cup to D/E--rough estimate I'm sure) I am so pleased to have a chance to avoid major recon/living with a uni or whatever. I asked for a plastic surgeon and it will be so! One more visit to Boston for consults: PS, anesthetist and the guy running the axilla trial, then I'll get a late August surgery date. The axilla trial has two random arms if my nodes are still +. One gets axillary dissection and rads, one gets rads only. Previous trials show rads only just as good at preventing recurrance, but lower risk of lymphedema. I'll need breast rads in any case.

Another trial I may do is the PALLAS trial--taking Ibrance in addition to AI vs. AI only to see how Ibrance does with lower stage cancers. Not that I've ever gotten a stage but not IV anyway.

Very pleased with today's news--also had blood draw for genetics. Very tired as well!

Hugs to all of you.

• scotbird
    Options

Fantastic news reflect and Myra, congratulations, so happy for you both. Take it easy. X

• KarenInCanada
    Options

ThumbsUp

Great news reflect!!! Very happy for you!! I feel that being tired is part of my life now! Napped late yeaterday-not on purpose, and woke up at 10pm! Couldn't get back to sleep until 4am. My naps are more like sleeps..2-3 hours. Must not do that again!

• reflect
    Options

Thanks Karen and Scotbird! Beginning to see the light at the end. Hoping to get energy back by next week (at least some) and sooooo happy to be done with the steroid/benedryl dance. Several all nighters in recent weeks--sleep all screwy, hope this sorts out for both of us Karen!

• Nolagirl1126
    Nolagirl1126 Member Posts: 178
    Options

Hi Fab Febs!

Miss you all! Myra, Wonderful news! Reflect, so glad you have your "plan" now and are comfortable with it. Karen, hoping you are feeling better from rads day by day. Imani and the rest of the gang, hoping all well with you!

It seems that the every day nuances of life have taken back over. I am almost 12 weeks PFC...but still taking H once every 3 weeks. I cold-capped, so I am rockin my "ombré" hairdo...and I didn't feel bad at all throughout chemo...just a little tired. So it seems that people "forget" that I'm still a cancer patient regardless of how I look. Some days I'm ok with that, others, not so much.

My period came back 😞...so I'll probably end up with a hysterectomy sooner than later...however, first and foremost, I have my S-GAP reconstruction surgery at the St. Charles Breast Center in NOLA on 8/18. With my family history being so strong, my MO said they treat me as being BRACA positive, even though we are all negative. Evidently, we have our own BC mutation...awesome😳. So getting nervous, as I am just over a week out from surgery. Please send your positive vibes, prayers, thoughts for me for next week...I appreciate all of them!

Hoping we all continue to move forward and past this "pause button" of life that was thrown our way.

💕 Laine

• Myraknits
    Options

Laine, in your pocket, Girl! Sending you lots of swift healing vibes to sail through surgery!

Hugs💓

• scotbird
    Options

Laine, in your pocket too, my Fab Feb sister. Hope you fly through your surgery with the greatest of ease. We will get past the "pause button". Let's hit the "reset" button and get on with life! X

• SerenitySTAT
    Options

Hello Fabulous Feb-birds! (On steroid and last chemo high!) SillyHeart

Got my bell rung! With my nurse from last week. In 16 treatments, I had 14 different nurses (not counting the backups), so it was so nice of her to make the effort to come by.

After a light dinner at home, we had a small celebration of dark chocolate-covered strawberries with our favorite Cava, a tradition from our dating days. Hug

I have rads starting sometime in September. I was hoping to get a real break from the hospital, but I have a small amount of swelling in my left arm. I was measured for a custom sleeve and glove and scheduled for 3 appointments with kinesiology this month. SickTired

I gained about 6 pounds during Taxol. At 4'11", I don't have many places to hide them. I'd like to drop about 10 pounds starting next week once the cravings for carbs wear off. They do, don't they?

Imani - Good luck with work and rads. I'm off work until after rads. Just couldn't handle it myself.

Myra, reflect - So glad to read your good news! We take good news anywhere we can.

Laine - I am overflowing with positive vibes at the moment, so sending lots! Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Karen - I'm having the same sleep issues. Melatonin helps regulate my sleep after the first day of Taxol.

ScotBird - Hope you have few side effects from rads. I hear you on PTSD. The only thing I can do to distract myself is to focus on now and what's next. Does your hospital offer support groups? My hospital does, and I found a community support group that's easier to access.

Hope everyone is progressing as best you can with fewer and fewer side effects.

Heart

• KarenInCanada
    Options

Laine! In your pocket and thinking of you! One step closer to all this being over with!

Congrats Serenity! I know how happy I was to ring the bell and move on. Rads is over quick after the long drawn out chemo. Wishing you all the best! I am finally feeling more myself ..except sleepy!

Speaking of sleepy...the sleep study center called me this morning to set up an appt. I have had sleep apnea for years but had stopped using my machine. Apparently I need it LOL! It's either that or no one to share a room with when I go on road trips!!! Guess what I was doing when they called at 11 am? Sleeping of course!!!!!

I did about a 15 minute work out today...slow one..to get my lead legs and body moving again. This 30 pound weight gain is horrid! I was a huge carb craver thru this experience and now I am paying for it. So easy to gain, so hard to get off. I got back to work in October and can't go feeling like this about myself! If anyone in interested, there is an awesome website with free workout. You can search by ease of work out, equipment you may have, length of workout and track your workouts on a calendar. I love it. Anyways it is called Fitnessblender.com and is a husband and wife who go thru it with you. If I can do it anyone can!

Hercepton next Tues and sleep clinic that night. We have a heat wave for the next few days so I am planning on laying low and hoping it ends with some awesome thunderstorms! 😃

Take care everyone xoxoxox

• SerenitySTAT
    Options

Karen - The carb craving was intense! I wanted all sorts of bread that I haven't eaten in forever. Fortunately, I didn't gain too much. I should be able to lose it through careful nutrition. I plan on fasting to jump start the process and get back to grain free with minimal cheats. First I need to get my sleep schedule in order. I need to be rested to fast.

I actually had sleep apnea long ago when I was in my mid 30s and slim. Sleep study showed my oxygen rate (?) went below 30% fairly often. I never used a machine. Instead I had surgery to remove my uvula, tonsils, and part of my upper palate. Due to a joint disorder, my upper palate was collapsing and blocking my airway. Once healed, the sleep apnea went away. I haven't heard of anyone else having the same surgery, but I'm glad I did. Hope you get your sleep fixed. Please use your machine. It's hard to lose weight when sleep deprived. Plus long term sleep apnea is not good for your heart. Good luck!

• Francesj19
    Francesj19 Member Posts: 78
    Options

Good Morning Ladies~

Laine - Prayers to my friend. Thinking of you as you go through yet another hard time. But hey - I will be in New Orleans in December and would love to connect! I have a tradeshow there. We are also build a new Hotel called NOPSI in NOLA that will open next year so I should be there often.

Myra, Reflect~ Glad to hear your good news! so happy things are headed in the right direction.

Imani - think positive thougths and rads will be fine! lotion up my friend! don't skimp! My girlfriend from Canada brought me back some lotion ( don't have it with me on my trip but will tell you the name - she is a nurse) and it works wonders - happy to send you some!! She says they recommend it to many peeps. I did not have any skin problems.

as for the emotional problems - not sure that will ever be the same. One day at a time and just breathe.

love you girls and always here for you. please call any time - I would love to just talk and connect with you.

Fran

630-440-6008