Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo in February 2016?

Options

Comments

• KarenInCanada
    KarenInCanada Member Posts: 194
    Options

Fran! Nice to hear from you! I think for some reason I missed some of your posts on the previous page. Talk about chemo brain, I guess I still do have it!

Nola is on my bucket list of places to go! I have a friend who goes and loves it there! Our Canadian dollar is not taking us far tho this year, I hope it gets better since it makes taking road trip much more difficult! Would fly to Nola though! One day!

Fran was the lotion Glaxol base? I am in Canada and that's all they allowed me to use. Hope you are doing the best you can during all this Fran.

Have as best of a day as possible ladies! Thinking of you all xo

• Francesj19
    Francesj19 Member Posts: 78
    Options

HI Ladies - TOMAXAFIN - Aweful! I am three days in and the nausau and severe joint pain is unbearable. I have not cried through out all of this chemo/radiation - but today - I did. this can not be! I cant walk!! my legs hurt so bad!Anyone experience this?

• reflect
    reflect Member Posts: 280
    Options

So sorry Frances! What does MO say? Will SEs settle down (possibly)? There are other options than Tamoxifin aren't there? I hope things improve very soon.

I will be starting Arimidex and Zometa (for additional protection of bones) soon--before surgery--still unscheduled, GRRRR, and radiation. Hoping I don't have problems because I really have to do HT.

• scotbird
    scotbird Member Posts: 592
    Options

Oh no Frances, that sounds horrible. I have aching joints (hips and elbows) and am also finding walking difficult, and going up stairs is really painful, but I am not taking any ongoing therapy as I'm triple negative so just finishing rads and then there's nothing else they can do for me. I am assuming the joint pain is lingering chemo SEs which will gradually wear off. Is this a normal knownthing with Tamoxifen? Maybe go onto the Tamoxifen thread to get advice from others who've been taking it for a while. I'm sending you a hug and hoping it settles down quickly. XX

• KarenInCanada
    Options

Fran, so sorry to hear that. I am not on anything now but Hercepton. Hopefully these SE wear off or they can change it for you. Never ending this cancer crap!

ScotBird, I hope you start feeling better too. After radiation my legs felt like lead. I'm still tired too.

Reflect, why are you still waiting for surgery?

• reflect
    Options

Hi all,

I think many of the hormone therapies have joint pain as a side effect, but not everyone experiences it. The hormone therapy forum may help you Frances. It seems many people try different HT. My MO is starting me with Arimidex because...it starts with "A", "and you have to start somewhere". Frances can you take AI instead of Tamoxifin? (post menopausal women can take either I think)

ScotBird I'm sorry you have pain also. Could chemo still be affecting you? Or maybe it's the rads?

Karen, I got a 2nd opinion as soon as I had new insurance (July) and I'm going with the new place for surgery but it seems they are having a bit of trouble with scheduling BS PS and a room! I reminded the scheduling sec that I finished chemo on 8/4, so....let's make something happen. She may try a different PS--at this point I don't care, let's just do it. Still have appointments--tired of this. New place is 2+ hours if not during the commute, but are offering lumpectomy so I feel it's worth it. Trying to regain energy and not freak out.

• Myraknits
    Myraknits Member Posts: 191
    Options

Frances, sorry to hear about your SEs from the Tamoxifen. I asked my dr about what to do if I have SE from the hormone blockers and he said there were 8 different ones we could try. Maybe talk to your MO about a different one

• Nolagirl1126
    Nolagirl1126 Member Posts: 178
    Options

Hi Ladies!

Recovering in the surgical hospital from S-gap (hip flap) reconstruction on Thursday. . Like DEIP flap, but donor site was my hips, not my tummy. Meds are controlling pain...Thank God! I have two "girls again", yay

Fran, I would definitely talk to your Oncologist about Tamoxifen SEs. When I was on it, I didn't have any SEs. They should be able to try something different.

• Myraknits
    Options

Hi All! I've opened an Etsy store that benefits Breastcancer.org that I wanted to let you know about.

$10 from the sale of earrings and $10 of sales from other items will be donated. I just sent the first donation of $236.00 from last weeks sales in today. Come check out my stuff and see if there's anything you like to add a little bling to your day and help out BCO at the same time.

• KarenInCanada
    Options

Nola! Wishing you well on your recovery! Will definitely check out your store Myra! Great idea!

Got to go in the water for the first time since I started chemo in February this past weekend. Was at a friends trailer in Erieau Ontario and had a nice swim in Lake Erie!!! Was it ever nice after all this time!!!

• blamoms
    blamoms Member Posts: 86
    Options

finished radiation today. It feels weird not having anymore daily appointments. My skin is very sore under my armpit and under my boob. Can't sleep on my right side. All of this is doable. It's not easy but you can get through it.Now to hope that cancer never comes back

• SerenitySTAT
    SerenitySTAT Member Posts: 3,534
    Options

blamoms - Congrats on finishing! I start rads next month.

• imani76
    imani76 Member Posts: 44
    Options

Hey Fabs!

Finished Rads last week and starting Tamoxifen today! Hope you are all doing well.

• reflect
    Options

Imani!! Awesome, so happy for you!! You are done with all the heavy stuff! Hope Tamox is easy for you. I have surgery 9/14 (giant lumpectomy) and rads and Arimidex to follow. How was rads? I'm hoping to return to work. Any advice?

• KarenInCanada
    Options

Imani and blamoms, congrats! I was so happy to finish rads.

Wishing you all the best for your surgery Reflect. Rads made me very tired and I was pretty burnt by the end. I personally would have had trouble working but many do. A lot depends on your skin and travel distance too.

• imani76
    Options

Hello Reflect,

I went back to work two days before I started radiation. My work is not very physical and I had no problems. Some afternoons I did take a 30 min snooze. It was week 4 when sleeping became a bit uncomfortable but I personally had no problems working.

• reflect
    Options

Thanks Karen and Imani. I'll just have to see how it goes for me with rads. I have very fair skin and have always burned in the sun if not protected, but I don't know if rads is the same.

Myra, I love your jewelry on etsy! Can't wait to get my new bling :)

• Myraknits
    Options

Reflect, your earrings are on the way! Thanks so much for purchasing them and for supporting BCO. Where would we be without it?! I'm so greatful to share this journey with you all. Nice to know we're not alone!!

My lumpectomy was a little tough. Lots of pain in my armpit from node removal and then pain and numbness in the back of my arm from pit to elbow for about 4 weeks. It's definitely better now but I didn't know it would be as bothersome as it was. Still can't feel when I'm putting deodorant on. I also had a large seromathat had to be drained. Much better once that was done. Felt like I was holding a golfball under my arm.

Hoping yours goes fairly smoothly and uneventful. But the good news is it does seem to pass fairly quickly... In the scope of things.

• imani76
    Options

Hello Fabs,

Just checking in. Im just finishing my 1st bottle of Tamoxifen and Im doing pretty good with 4 days of exercise. Hope you are doing good and pressing thru this month where PINK cant be avoided. ..Lol

• reflect
    Options

Hi Imani! So glad to hear you are doing well! I am 3 weeks post lx and have started anastrozole, will begin rads in a week or so. Haven't gotten my emotional equilibrium back at all yet. Lots of sleeping/avoidance! Looking forward to better days to come. Hope others are doing well. Anyone heard from Piper?

• SerenitySTAT
    Options

Hi imani, reflect, and other Fab Febs!

Still here. I'm in rads and 8 weeks PFC watching my hair grow. Peripheral neuropathy is gone, but I've got a little lymphedema.

reflect - I think your feelings are normal. Sometimes I just try to get through to the next step whether that's in the next few minutes or the next few days until I have the energy to look further along.

• reflect
    Options

Thanks Serenity, normal is OK! See you over in Rads thread.

• KarenInCanada
    Options

Hi Fab Febs! what a year it has been! My return to work is scheduled for Halloween day and hopefully that ends this chapter of my life!

My hair is getting thicker, slowly growing! Can't wait to have more. I have been given permission to dye it now even though my MO and family doc like the colours lol. Salt and pepper just isn't my thing!

It is or Thanksgiving today and I just want to tell you all how thankful I am for every one of you!

Hope we still can chat in here in the future!

• reflect
    Options

Hey Karen, so glad you doing well! My hair looks almost "intentionally" short now and it is mostly white with a couple of random darker patches. It'll do for now but I may to be a redhead again in the future!

I am also returning to work, part time (25 hours I hope). Need to get paperwork from MO and hope to return in a couple of weeks (no more sick time, no more nutthin'!

Happy Thanksgiving. It's my favorite holiday here and I'm looking forward to it. I feel grateful to be here, and to have such amazing support.

• Piper33
    Piper33 Member Posts: 146
    Options

Hi ladies! image

I've been away for so long. I do get emails and read your posts. Thank you for checking.

I was quite ill after rads for some reason. Weird because my nausea, etc aren't side effects.

I am also getting ready to have my last surgery. I am having a mammo Thursday to check again.

The hardest thing to share is that I haven't been taking tamoxifen. I know this decision is personal. I've read through so many threads. So many women like me; yet they are almost lambasted too in instances. My fear is being judged. (not here)

I may change my mind. I have serious reasons and concerns. That said, my menstrual cycle has started again after 9 months, so my thought process is changing.

I see so many of you being so proactive and positive. I'm just stuck. I'm going to work on it though!

Barbara

• reflect
    Options

Look at you! You look great, I love your hair. I need to figure out how to post a pic. So good to see you!

• KarenInCanada
    Options

Well I did it! I officially no longer feel like a cancer patient now, maybe a little freaky instead lol. Anything to get past this growing the hair out! The purple should fade nicely by the time I return to work! My hair was healthy enough to bleach so all is good, just not long enough for anything else.

Sorry to hear you were so ill Piper! Who would expect that After everything! No judging here. I know people who also would not take it also. I have my follow up mammo on Tuesday and am so not looking forward to my radiated sore boob eating squished! I have found it harder since rads were done and felt stuck a lot. I think going back to work will help me a lot.

• reflect
    Options

Karen, what a great look! My hair is the same length as yours, finally getting where it looks like it might be intentional, lol. I am starting back at work next week and I think it will be very good for me. Still have 5 weeks rads--just started--and hope I have the stamina (long commute).

• SerenitySTAT
    Options

Piper - You look great! Sorry that you've been ill. Hope you get nothing but good news on your mammo.

Karen - Feeling freaky is much better than feeling like a cancer patient.

reflect - Work and rads! I would bow to you, but my sciatica won't let me. Drink lots of water and have snacks at the ready.

Done with rads last Monday, but not ready for work. I am using this time to try to fix my sciatica. Did my exercises today. Guess next week I speak to my MO about Tamoxifen. Not looking forward to that, but we'll see. Also meeting with my kinesiologist. Thanks to lots of stretching, the cording that started during chemo is barely noticeable. I have a little lymphedema, and I've been wearing my sleeve and glove. She hasn't seen me since I received them. Hoping there's measurable improvement.

• Myraknits
    Options

Karen, I love it! Very sassy, Girl!

Barbara, I hear you. I was doing great emotionally until recently. Seems like I'm having more down days than up. My chest is peeling and blistering from rads and today I got the first bottle of AIs. It hit home that this isn't over and I'll get a daily reminder for the next 5 years. My neuropathy has returned in my toes so even walking is difficult and exercising is nearly impossible. Plus my bones ache every morning. All this even before starting the AI...

I'm grateful for this space with you all. It's been a long road but it's been a helluva lot easier knowing we're in it together. Thank you and hugs