Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo in February 2016?

Options

Comments

• 06elise
    06elise Member Posts: 62
    Options

Myra, we're on the same schedule! I'm practically back to normal, except for a little more reconstruction mid month... and some remaining pain in my left shoulder. (Surgery was 8/4. They gave me a lymphedema sleeve just in case, but I think it's a muscle injury or maybe tendonitis.)

btw, have you knit any chemo caps? I've been crocheting a lot during my post-infusion "down days"... several dozens donated to our local cancer charity so far!

• Myraknits
    Myraknits Member Posts: 191
    Options

Elise, Love your caps!! Yep, I've been busy knitting hats for Halos of Hope http://halosofhope.org/

that I take over to my sessions every couple of months. I really love your patterns!

• michela802
    michela802 Member Posts: 3
    Options

is anyone doing double dose Taxol?

I am going to start AC next week at MSk (switching). Then they said instead of 12x weekly Taxol I'd get less weeks but double dose.

They also told me no surgery so with then I am not going to get the AND ... For bow.

• Valstim52
    Valstim52 Member Posts: 833
    Options

michela802 I did double dose ac and taxol. I did fine with it. I took claritan, the regular one, not the 'd' one for muscle pain

• Nolagirl1126
    Nolagirl1126 Member Posts: 178
    Options

Hi friends!

I'm at my cancer center now getting Herceptin. 2 more to go after this! Hope all is well with everyone. Life/energy pretty much back to normal :-)

• KarenInCanada
    KarenInCanada Member Posts: 194
    Options

I have 3 left and already got my port removal date of April 18th! Last infusion will be April 11th! Can't wait to get it all behind me. I was in Mexico for 2 weeks. Sadly still not feeling back to me. Since I got home, even though I had a cold, I am feeling a little better. Just want "me" back. Luckily it's our slow time at work so my back can hopefully get a bit of a break before the spring rush!

Weird but I can't decide what to do with my hair. Grow it? Change colour? Things I never worried about before!

• reflect
    reflect Member Posts: 280
    Options

Hey Fab Febs, glad you have energy back Nolagirl, I'm not there yet. I am back at work FT but it's taking all I have--just getting over a long chest cold and that has set me back too. But, I'm done with everything for now (recon surgery in summer) and the port is gone and that's good. I do have some lymphedema and need to get a sleeve and go back to PT. But I'm so sick of appointments, right?

Karen, I'm having questions about my hair too. I got the super curly chemo hair, now completely white and grey. Everyone just loves it, but I don't feel like myself. For me, the super curly grey look was the thing all the grandmas went to the salon for....and that isn't me. I'll need to do something soon as it's getting longer. It's a great problem to have, after all.

We just dug out of a foot of snow. Stay warm everyone!

• KarenInCanada
    Options

Reflect, this is my hair this morning before shower! I'm thinking it's long enough now to put some low lights in. I rebelled against the black hair that came in that I've never had before and dyed it all blonde! I knew I had gray but never black!! The back has some curls which everyone has to point out to me. I've always had straight hair. Imagine...it's like a teen trying to grow out hair and getting those 'wings' and all the little annoyances lol.

3 more Herceptin and hopefully it will grow faster!

• KarenInCanada
    Options

where are all my Fab Febs???? I have one Herceptin left to go and my port out April 21st! How are you all doing???? Life's busy again with working and all! Hair is coming in! Yay! Love to you all!

• SerenitySTAT
    SerenitySTAT Member Posts: 3,534
    Options

Karen - Good to see you're almost done! You have amazing hair!

• scotbird
    scotbird Member Posts: 592
    Options

Looks like you are doing really well Karen. I'm still checking in here. Hoping cancer will become a distant memory but at the moment I still think about it most days. Trying to "move on" is sometimes hard, but we will all get there. Sending loving kindness to you and all the Fab Febs of 2016! XX

• KarenInCanada
    Options

Ding Ding Ding, Herceptin all done as of last Tuesday!

Port comes out Friday. I'm finally feeling more like my old self again.

• scotbird
    scotbird Member Posts: 592
    Options

Congratulations Karen, that's great to hear. Hope you continue to feel better and better.

• Valstim52
    Valstim52 Member Posts: 833
    Options

Congrats Karen

• SerenitySTAT
    Options

Congratulations, Karen! ThumbsUp

• KarenInCanada
    Options

thank you! Looking forward to moving on from all this and quite happy to only have follow ups now every 6 months. 2 more days and port free. My back still hurts from working but only because we are much busier now. I truly hope everyone is finally moving forward from this and can enjoy this summer morethan last!

• Myraknits
    Myraknits Member Posts: 191
    Options

Karen, congrats!

My port is finally out and I went for my first post op mammo yesterday...all clear! While this is all good news, I still find myself very mopey these days. I'd like to celebrate but I've changed so much physically I feel like I aged 10 years. Sure.. I'm grateful to be alive but there are definitely days when I'd like to forget this ever happened. That said, I try and take it a day at a time and hope this will be a happier summer for us all

• reflect
    Options

Congratulations Karen and Myra! I am feeling much better, although I am dealing with lymphedema in my arm and breast, and it's tedious at best. I have better things to do that go to PT all the time and wrap my arm and chest every night! Hoping I can get it under control in time. Otherwise, YES, this summer is looking much better than last!! Love to you all Fab Febs.

• SerenitySTAT
    Options

reflect - My lymphedema is pretty mild. My arm measurements did increase in January. I made sure to do the MLD daily, and my measurements went down. I have a sleeve and glove that I wear when active, but nothing at night. I think the warm up exercises that I learned in Qi Gong help. I see a kinesiologist for lymphedema and a PT for sciatica. I'm getting better so my appointments are further apart. Still need to do daily exercises for both which are time consuming. Sometimes I don't do them all. Hope your lymphedema improves soon. Yes, this summer will be better! Wehave hair now!

• reflect
    Options

Thanks Serenity! My arm is mild, but my breast/trunk is a bit worse. I have a huge lump in my breast--it's not scar tissue, but sludgy lymph build up according to my PT. We are trying to break it up and get it to drain, so I wear a compression vest at night with extra foam bits to add pressure where the problem is. I also wrap my arm every night. I hope I don't have to do this forever, but I may have to. I finally got a "fashionable" sleeve and gauntlet from Lymphediva. It looks like henna tattoos all down my arm. I do MLD too, and stretches. I'm not perfectly compliant. Qi Gong sounds more interesting! I am so impressed with your dedication!

• KarenInCanada
    Options

So sorry to hear you are dealing with lymphdemia both of you! I haven't had any signs of it and hope I don't. My job is pretty physical at times. I remember going to Mexico 4 weeks after my surgery and having never heard of lymphdema never took any precautions as the drs were fully aware and never said anything. My nurse did tell me this year to take a low dose aspirin any time my flight is over 4 hours, that was it.

Myra my body definitely gained 10 years and the nurse told me that was common. Back pain mostly but I need to get back to the gym and lose this weight too. Was weird getting the port out, I opted for nothing but freezing so I could hear her cutting all the place she where it was attached inside and all the tugging and moving it around so she could see where it was. I have the odd blah day but the Sunshine of late is making me feel better. I had a Mammo at 6 months and will have another in October.

Reflect, I would have bought the same sleeve if needed! I saw a girl wear sleeve shirt like that to a meeting at work once and I really thought she had tattooed arms!

• SerenitySTAT
    Options

reflect - I still don't have the energy or will to do all of my exercises, but I try to do some every day. I highly recommend Qi Gong/Tai Chi. My arms and fingers are short, so I went custom. My sleeve and glove from Juzo. They're plain gray. I thought the beige too medicinal and the black would show dog hairs. My kinesiologist thinks I won't need them after 2 years.

Karen - Hope your back pain goes away soon. I find working on my posture has helped my sciatica.

• reflect
    Options

Oh Karen, I don't know how you do a physical job! I had lots of nodes removed plus radiation, which raised my risk a lot. I hope you don't ever get this added "bonus" of cancer treatment.

Serenity, I just saw a Tai Chi class at the local community college that might work with my crazy schedule. Thanks for mentioning that!. My arm was swollen today so I'm bummed. Will try to improve before the next PT visit. Breast is better but huge lump still hanging out. Now that the swelling has gone down I can really see the difference: one side is G/H and the other...maybe a C/D? Need to call the PS and get that reduction scheduled!

Good health and sunny skies to all of us!

• 06elise
    06elise Member Posts: 62
    Options

Yay Karen! Ding ding ding!

We're at about the same point through this journey; my port comes out this coming Tuesday, and (as hubby says) I gave up chemo for lent

Happy

• SerenitySTAT
    Options

Yay! ThumbsUp

• reflect
    Options

Congratulations Elise! GREAT smile.

• 33triple
    33triple Member Posts: 48
    Options

Congrats Elise!!!

It's been a while since my last login but happy to report I'm doing well. I'm finally getting my strength back. Radiation did a number on me...I lost so much upper body strength. I began working with a trainer/ PT in January and excited to be able to workout regularly! I will be starting tamoxifen in the next couple of months.

I'll be thinking about all of you fab fes, especially those of you experiencing lymphedema ❤️❤️❤️

• KarenInCanada
    Options

congrats Elise!!! What a great feeling after the full year of Herceptin!! Wishing the best for all of you and truly hope that something eases the lymphdema issues for those of you experiencing it! The Sunshine is finally here today. Saw my doctor and he still wants me to get physio (blah) but I also found some salt water physio classes that are done at our hospital and are covered by my work plan! Think I'll start that first and some major eating changes and gym! Port area healing. Hair is growing. First haircut will happen Tuesday! Love to you all❤️❤️❤️❤️

• Nolagirl1126
    Nolagirl1126 Member Posts: 178
    Options

Hi there Fab Febs! Wow, this year has flown by...hoping EVERYONE is doing well!

Finished Herceptin in March and just got around to getting my port out 2 days ago!

Stay Fabulous my friends!

• SerenitySTAT
    Options

Hi Nolagirl! I still have my port. MO wanted me to keep it for 2 years. Time does fly. It's been almost 2 years since diagnosis. 

Hope everyone is fabulous!