Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Abraxane

Options

Comments

• 70charger
    70charger Member Posts: 591
    Options

lalalady I'm not sure. As far as I know she is still in hospital. Her & hubby have been building a new house. Last week her friends got together & painted it for her. It was due to be finished Nov 17th. I'm hoping she gets to go see all the work her friends did for her. But I do not know her current state. If & when I get further info I will let you know. Our group is reeling from this info, just so fast. Hugs

• Kaption
    Kaption Member Posts: 2,934
    Options

So sorry to hear about Peacock girl. Praying for all involved.

I received my written PET report this morning but haven’t talked to my MO yet. I’ll see her Monday morning.

The written report is mixed news. Most bone mets are stable. T4 is active (as are some unnamed other spots). Uptake on T4 is pretty big jump and it aligns with my increased pain.

The biggest surprise was the liver. Without going into too much detail, I had a non-contrast CT in February for a possible Xeloda trial. It showed some dark (small) spots on the liver. Inconclusive. I’ve had 2 PETS since then with NO mention of activities in the liver. This week’s scan show uptake in two spots. One spot correlates to one of dark spot on the ct. the other is new. The good news is that the one that correlates is actually smaller than it was in February. So, questions to ask. Radiologist recommends MRI. So, I’m guessing she’ll either do that or just give Abraxane 3 more months and then compare.

I’m completely uninformed about liver mets, so guess I’ll be doing some reading.

More info after a Monday.

Hope everyone has a pain free and pleasant weekend.

• JFL
    JFL Member Posts: 1,373
    Options

70charger, thanks for giving us the update on PeacockGirl. This is so sad. I hate hearing this kind of news. Please keep us posted if you hear more. Praying for PeacockGirl, her DH and family.

• 70charger
    Options

I see this morning that Nichole (Peacockgirl) has been moved into Hospice.

• JFL
    Options

More prayers and peaceful thoughts with Nichole (PeacockGirl) today.

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,607
    Options

70charger, I'm sorry to hear about peacockgirls progression and confused as to how this could happen so fast. If I recall correctly, she was improving on Abraxane earlier this month. Seems like there should be something that could be done about the brain mets :(

• 70charger
    Options

illimae I know, she was feeling better but kept having her plueral efflusion drained & belly fluid drained. Originally they thought it was fluid from inflamed lymph nodes but all fluids came back as cancer cells, plus she had a skin biopsy done on her neck which came back as MBC. She was on immunotherapy but switched to Abraxane, then the brain mets & now spine as well. She is also triple negative which limits treatment available. Fast for sure, still can't wrap my head around it.

• theziz
    theziz Member Posts: 134
    Options

God knows how I hate andfear what is happening to PeacockGirl.

I’m a person of few words and in this situation I just don’t know what to say beside pray, pray and pray and have faith that God is listen to my prayers.

Ziz

• 70charger
    Options

one of the ladies in our chemo group went to visit Nichole today. She is not conscious, is on constant pain meds. She is hours away from crossing over.

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,607
    Options

• lalady1
    lalady1 Member Posts: 530
    Options

Sending Nichole some light and love from CA. I am crushed, this is too sudden. No words.

• Kaption
    Options

And love from and prayers from Kansas too. So tough to hear.

• 70charger
    Options

Thank you Ladies. It is amazing how close you become with the people within these walls. Nichole said what a wonderful group you were. I hope you all become a tight knit group like our 2013 chemo group is. The support you have for one another is priceless. Hugs to all

• 70charger
    Options

Peacockgirl (Nicole) passed this morning

• auroaya
    auroaya Member Posts: 784
    Options

R.I.P Nicole

• Kaption
    Options

Prayers for her family. Peace for all.

• lalady1
    Options

Just tears. So sorry - send love to her family.

• JFL
    Options

This just seems so wrong, so fast. Praying for her family. She will be missed.

• theziz
    Options

I’m so sorry to hear about Nicole’s passing. R.I.P. PeacockGirl.

Ziz

• lalady1
    Options

Hi ladies - I had a really rough night, vomiting and diarrhea that filled two upstairs toilets. sigh My brother's GF plunged one for me, and I postponed chemo until tomorrow. Just shows that when we think we are feeling ok, the flu can wipe us out. I dread weighing myself tomorrow. :(

• Kaption
    Options

So sorry, lalady. Hope you are doing better and are hydrated. Take care!

• JFL
    Options

LA, that sounds awful. I hope the flu passes quickly and that you can have your chemo tomorrow.

• artistatheart
    artistatheart Member Posts: 1,437
    Options

Rest in Peace Peacockgirl........Sad Many prayers to your family. I personally am blindsided by this. I know they thought she might have something going on with her spine but I am shocked at how quickly it was suddenly in her brain and "Poof" she is gone. God, how I hate this disease.

kaption, I'm so sorry about the PET report. Hopefully it is very small and inactive (or not cancer at all....)

lalady, crud! Hope that flu bug flies away ASAP.

Had to skip infusion again yesterday as neuropathy just gets worse with every one. It is now pretty much every other week. Getting anxious for a scan but he says I need to finish enough of the cycles to have accurate info which at this rate could take forever. Even with a week off I felt so crummy this morning, tired and weak. Hope tomorrow is better.

Sending good vibes to all.

• Kaption
    Options

Artist-thanks. My MO called the radiologist and asked for details. Again, shawdows were seen in February in a CT w/o contrast- inconclusive. The next 2 PETs did not mention anything in the liver. So, we assumed it was nothing. Then this PET describes 1 or 2 with uptake. The good news is they are the same size or even smaller than the shadows in February. Big question is WHY they were not mentioned before on PETs. They are obviously small. But, still ?

My CEA went up a little after 2 dramatic drops. So, the decision is to do another month of Abraxane and another CEA. The trends of CEA have been very accurate for me. Her big concern (besides a new organ involvement) is each treatment is working for a shorter amount of time.

I am struggling with processing all of this as well as Peacock girl’s passing. Kind of drained this week.

Treatment tomorrow. Always makes me feel I’m getting something done.

I did get some very good news Monday. My MO is moving BACK to her original cancer center which (depending on traffic) is nearly 30 minutes closer to me. She and RO will be in one site again!

I hope everyone can find happy moments and pain free days. Again, this feels like the safe place to be. Think of you all often.

• JFL
    Options

Kaption, I am sorry to hear about your liver progression. I am surprised more thought wasn't given to the shadows on the February CT. I though all shadows (hypo dense areas) were cancer. That is always how it was explained to me. Good news the one is shrinking. Scary to have liver mets, but it is definitely very manageable. Keep in mind we only need 10% of our liver to function. I always remind myself that when I get into freak out mode.

Artist, I read something interesting the other day that noted that neuropathy is worse with weekly Abraxane than with the standard every 3-week dose. I was surprised as I thought all the side effects were worse on the every 3-week dose, which is a higher dose. I wonder if changing to that would help, even if your dose has to be slightly lower than the recommended dose? I am on that dosing and my neuropathy (in fingers and feet) is bad for a day or two (around day 4-5) and then improves. It never fully goes away and does vary day to day but doesn't cause me any issues or bother me for the most part. By the end of the 3-week cycle, my white blood cells, red blood cells and all related blood counts are within normal range again. 3 weeks is a long time to heal. The last week of the 3-week cycle, I feel GREAT. It might be worth a discussion with your MO. One week is not letting your body have enough time to recover. How is your ascites? I recall it has improved. Do you still have to get drains?

LA, did you make it through today's session? Is the flu still kicking around?

I am getting a scan in a few weeks and starting to get nervous! Even if Abraxane is working, don't know whether I should stay on it or go to something else for a while, to take a break, and return to Abraxane at a later time. Being on IV chemo and doing the cooling caps for 3 hours is high maintenance and is starting to wear on me. Not sure I have the luxury of "deciding" whether or not I do IV chemo in reality, but I like to think I have many, many options out there!

• lalady1
    Options

I am back from the flu and dose #9 of A-train - down 2 lbs. My WBC dropped to 1.9 yesterday, but they let me have chemo anyway. Resting today, my fingers in my left hand are a little shaky - ack! Need those for work. JFL - I am scheduled for #15 doses (5 mos) every 3 weeks with one week off through December. I wish I could change to once every 3 weeks, because I get cold caps each time. brrr. I have my PET 11/6 and see onc on 11/14 - set to discuss which med I can safely move to in January. On the table are: Xeloda (assume if liver is lighting up) or Abemaciclib (if jaw met lights up) or whatever Xmas tree package I present. Nevertheless, TM's are dropping steadily, so happy to be on this med through the holidays. Abraxane as a long term solution sucks because I am tethered to a weekly IV chair. But I was sick this summer after my Afinitor fail, so not complaining. I can finish 6 more sessions and so can my hair. :) Ladies - what are your oncs choices after graduation?

• theziz
    Options

Kaption I'm sorry to hear about your progression. My MO is also concerned that each treatment works for me for a short period of time.

Lalady im glad that you have recovered from the flu.

Two days ago I woke up in the middle of the night with a horrible pain in my liver that went up through my ribs and to my right shoulder. I called my MO in morning and I was able to see him at 3P.M. yesterday, he gave something for the pain and sent me for an ultrasound. He thinks it is either progression or ascites

I had my scan at the beginning of this month October and the report stated I was stable and the MO agreed. he was going to have a conversation with the Radiologist to discuss some areas that he did not agree and now this.

take care everyone.

Ziz

• Kaption
    Options

Ziz- I hope your MO can get some good information ASAP. I felt much better when MO called the radiologist directly for more details. Prayers and hugs.

• artistatheart
    artistatheart Member Posts: 1,437
    Options

JFL, maybe that is a good thing to bring up. Right now I have one week on and one week off due to the neuropathy. My hands stay about the same. Trying to get out and walk, walk, walk even with the cane. I find going to a big box store and browsing with a basket is a good way to get around and get some mileage in.

So, the ascites.......aaarrrrgggghhh!! I Hadn't had a procedure in 8 weeks and was so happy. But then this week I was getting more bloated and hard and it wasn't going away by morning as usual. And I was very uncomfortable.......Red flag! So at my appt on Monday I saw a new PA my Onc has me seeing lately for some reason. I asked her "How do I know if it is fluid that needs to have a procedure or not?" She said it could be gas or stool build up.....then she did an exam of my abs/stomach and said "I can feel a small amount of fluid so I would wait as there is the risk of infection from the procedure". Well, by Wed night I was miserable so made the appt anyway. Went in and they remove 6 liters, an all time high!!!! I was shocked. Makes me think either Abraxane quit working on this or the every other week isn't enough. But with this neuropathy not getting much better, not sure what to do. Will ask about the 3 week dose though!

Thinking of you ziz, keep us posted.

• Kaption
    Options

Artist, I’m so sorry to hear that you continue to have so many problems with Abraxane. When are you having your next scan? Hope your weekend is comfortable. Good for you for keeping moving.

Thinking of you!