Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Abraxane

Options
1262728293032»

Comments

• Wanderingneedle
    Wanderingneedle Member Posts: 220
    Options

Hello, I’m back! I’m starting abraxane (again) today along with tecentriq for my new diagnosis of triple negative. Anyone else here on this combo? I was on abraxane before and it only lasted about five months so I’m hoping the combo lasts longer. I’m not looking forward to losing my hair again. Time for a new wig!

• booboo1
    booboo1 Member Posts: 1,196
    Options

Hi All,

I’ll be starting Abraxane on Dec. 23rd, so I’m trying to prepare myself. Already lost my hair once on Taxol, so I’ve got that part down. Are there any other things I should prepare for? I saw a lot of you had nausea, so I’ll be sure to get meds from my onc. If there is anything else you think I need to ask for or you think I should know, I’m all ears

• anotherone
    anotherone Member Posts: 545
    Options

it must be similar to taxol- after all it is the same active ingredient. Nausea not that bad actually , fairly mild. You do not need steroids with it. Wishing you for it to be plain sailing.

• JCSLibrarian
    JCSLibrarian Member Posts: 548
    Options

I have been on Abraxane for a year now. Side effects (other than hair loss) have been minimal. I am having the beginnings of neuropathy in my feet. I agree the steroids are not necessary.

• anotherone
    Options

Librarian, how are your lesions responding to it ?

What schedule are you on ?

• JCSLibrarian
    Options

I have been NED since early on in treatment. I was able to convince the MOto do some localized treatment after showing him how oligometastatic MBC could be treated with curative intent. We did a lumpectomy and SBRT radiation to the one small lung tumor. I have a PET scan scheduled for 12/31. If that is clear, I do want to go a few months with no chemo. Might be poking the tiger, but a break would be good for my mind and my body. Still working on the MO to see more of the integrative side of things.

• anotherone
    Options

Tx librarian

I have looked through your previous posts so as not to badger you with questions answers to which are already written. Good to see someone else not bought into "treatment for life " as I was feeling I was the only delusional one. We shall see.

You said you were interested in more holistic /general approach to treatment and were hoping to get it from your oncologist , am K right ?

• JCSLibrarian
    Options

Yes! I have been looking into ‘Integrative oncology’ and learning how supplements and lifestyle habits can help fight cancer progression. A good book to read is Anti-Cancer Living by Lorenzo Cohen. He is an Integrative Oncologist at MD Anderson in Houston, TX. He advocates learning how to sleep well, control stress, exercise and use easy supplements to self medicate cancer progression. A good website with lots of info and links is the Beyond Conventional Cancer Therapies https://bcct.ngo/ I am getting together a packet of info for my Oncologist to read before our next appointment. I find it gives him a heads up about what I want to discuss. Feel free to ask any questions. I am no expert, but think our combined knowledge is strong!

Good luck

• anotherone
    Options

Do you think your oncologist would be the best source of support on those lines ?

If he does not do it on his own volition and you are going to be bringing the topics up do you think he will have much useful input?

I have not expected mine to be of much help with any complementary stuff . Mind , she did advise vitD ( btw even if your levels are within normal parameters it does not mean they are optimal , apparently the lower limit of "normal" is too low and does not exactly represent optimal health conditions and vit B6 for neuropathy - do you take it ? Hopefully yours would clear on your chemo extended holidays but still handy to know.

I have dug up lots of info . I have seen a functional doctor with whom I had iv vitC infusions, oncotermia sessions , I am on COC protocol to which I added chloroquine, melatonin, CBD oil , about 10 supplements and mistletoe injections. I am doing hyperbaric oxygen a few times a week now and sorting low dose naltrexone.

I am in a process of filling the forms after consultation with a nutritionist who helped Jane McLelland. Stress sleep and exercise indeed are crucial aspects..

Having said all that I am under no illusion I will be guaranteed to be alive for being as I am. I am not religious with my supplements, I have not even tried to manage vegan diet that functional doctor advised me ( hope Dr.Callebout will not tell me to go vegan as well !). I have seen a user with nickname zarovka who looks like was the most committed and proactive person has died 2 years after diagnosis so this is a good warning against thinking one can predictably do something about it but I am doing what I am doing so as to increase my chances and avoid remorse after. My aspiration is to become NED, stop treatment and live for many happy years in that order. I used to smoke , I stopped a year before stage 4 diagnosis ( 12 years after original diagnosis! ) so I am hoping as environment changed those cancer cells not destroyed by chemo may not find fertile ground ever again.

It remains to he seen whether it works- if my lesions are not going to disappear as they have not yet my expectations will change...

• JCSLibrarian
    Options

I am bringing up the topic of supplements slowly. Ever hear the story of the frog in the boiling water? I am using VitD, VitB6 for neuropathy and will start Modified Citrus Pectin in January. From my research they are helpful while not known to have bad interactions with chemo. I also use CBD oil and Melatonin. He has refused to prescribe Metformin or any other med requiring a prescription. My MO has stated these items will not cure me and have not had enough research other than in mice. I would like my MO to come to an understanding of how patients want to treat themselves while receiving systemic medical treatments.

Best of luck to you. Please keep me posted on your alternative treatments. My MO did say he enjoys our discussions

• anotherone
    Options

yes and i will be following you as well - if all goes well with you it will be encouraging . Can they see on your scans any lesions that are now inactive or they can not see anything ?

• JCSLibrarian
    Options

Tjey have seen nothing since the very first PET scan. Fingers crossed for the one the end of this month.

• booboo1
    Options

Anotherone and Librarian,

I have decided to get another opinion before starting Abraxane. I had good results with Taxol, but thinking about what these drugs do to our already compromised bodies scares me. I also don’t want to lose my hair again unless there is no alternative.

I am really interested in your exchanges above. I will bet that when a cure is found, it will be not only plant based, but something non-toxic. Just seems that’s how things go with cures. We’ll see.

In any case, I am going to look at the website you suggested, Librarian, and see what interesting things there are to learn.

Hats off to both of you for trying to stay well during treatment

• anotherone
    Options

thank you booboo

It is easier for me as I know abraxane should finish soon and hopefully I will be kept on antibodies ( anti Her) only. Plus I am 46 to so had in plans lots more things for my life and those plans I am reluctant to give up on. Good luck with your consultation, are you thinking local treatment /other hormonals?

I am doing cold capping re hair. I have lost a lot of hair but in part it is due to a not great fit of an older style paxman hats and anyway it lets me go without wig (although co workers noticed badly thinning hair) but at least it is not immediately obvious to all and sundry.

• booboo1
    Options

Another,

I did indeed start Abraxane two weeks ago, so I have two treatments under my belt. So far, I’m rather pleased with the txs. I have diarrhea and joint pain the first day, and then almost no other side effects. I did get my hair cut really short, and expect it to fall out by the end of the week. But that’s ok. If this takes the nerve pain away by shrinking my mets, it will be well worth it!

The anti-hormonals do not work for me, so that’s why she put me on Abraxane.

• anotherone
    Options

Fingers crossed, boohoo

Abraxane is very tolerable for me. Awaiting scans after the dose next week which I hope so much will be the last one ...

• booboo1
    Options

Another,

God bless you my dear. Please let me know what happens. It gives me hope

• RangerGranger
    RangerGranger Member Posts: 6
    Options

Hi all just saying hello. I used to be here as EnglishMajor but lost my login. I was a denovo dx in 2009. Started Abraxane in Oct 2019. My first IV chemo. It's going ok. Hope the same for you

PS pasting from my bio

• I was diagnosed denovo in Oct 2009 with bone mets. 2.5 years on Tamoxifen; 2.5 on Femara. 3 months on Faslodex. Had progression.. 3 months on Afinitor. Liver mets joined the party. On to Xeloda; was on Xeloda 3.5 years. Progression. Tried Palbociclib. Progression. Started Abraxane in Oct 2019. Whew
  • moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,966
    Options

Dear RangerGranger,

Welcome to you. If you go to Settings in the tool bar and make your settings public the information about your diagnosis and treatment will show up in your signature line. Keep us posted and let us know how we can be of help.

The Mods

• Sary
    Sary Member Posts: 43
    Options

Just thought I'd post my experience with Abraxane so far since I have appreciated reading about others.

I have mets in lung, bone and liver. Like many people, the liver mets are the most concerning and hardest to control. I've gone through the non-chemo treatments as well as Xeloda. None of them stopped the liver progression. So, my doctor decided it was time for IV Chemo. After having a reaction to Taxol in my first week, I was eligible to receive Abraxane. I have completed 6 treatments.

I am very pleased with this treatment so far. No pre-meds means no drowsiness from Benedryl, no flushes or energy crashes from steroids. The infusion is fast - only 30 mins + saline (I'm usually at the clinic for about 2 hours in total). I am doing 3 weeks on, one week off. Other than hair loss, the side effects haven't been bad. I haven't experienced neuropathy yet (I'm icing hands and feet during infusion, but I don't know if that really does anything). Best of all, my bone pain has gone away and my latest scan showed some improvement in my liver.

I hope you are all doing well on this treatment also.

• booboo1
    Options

Hi Sary,

My experience is exactly like yours. If hair loss wasn’t a side effect, I would stay on this drug until it stopped working. It’s very tolerable.

Hope it treats you well until you are done!