Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Abraxane

Options

Comments

• Rosieo
    Rosieo Member Posts: 200
    Options

Just checking in with the ladies on here taking Abraxane. How is everything going for you?

I am on my week off. Feels so good to have this week "free" No running for chemo, then worrying about constipation :-) and being tired and no appetite.

After having this "free" week I am not sure if I want to go next week for the chemo. Only kidding, I guess. Can't give up now. Still don't have a good taste for any food. Nothing tastes good.

Anybody else that no taste thing

Rosieo

• auroaya
    auroaya Member Posts: 784
    Options

Hi Rosieo Sorry you're having issues with your taste buds I don't have that problem just feel a little nauseated I had chemo last week Wednesday and this week is my off week. I still have to go in the clinic to have my blood tests run and if needed get a shot to bring up my red blood cells count which are usually low and cause fatigue.

Hope your appetite and taste come back! Take care.

Aurora

• MustangIA
    MustangIA Member Posts: 54
    Options

Hey, ladies. Just wanted to offer you some hope and good wishes. I just finished up a 6 month course of Abraxane. It worked so well for me - got me to NED after three cycles and still NED after 6 after significant progression last year to my small intestines and right lung. All activity is now gone! We decided to pull it and put it back in my arsenal for a later date when needed and switch back to hormonal (Faslodex). My main side effects were the fatigue and nausea in the last two cycles (for some reason, never had that issue until the fifth month - guess it was the cumulative effect). Hang in there!

• auroaya
    Options

Mustang 1A thank you for sharing and woohoo on your NED status! I've been on Abraxane since March last year and even though my onco does not use words like NED she did say my las bone scan shows "improvement " and next week when I see her will decide to do the same pull Abraxane and start me on Faslodex! Fingers crossed

• Rosieo
    Options

Good luck to both you ladies, auroaya and Mustang. I hope the Abraxane is my golden bullet also

I will go tomorrow for my next cycle of 3 weeks on, 1 week on. Almost hate to go since I am just starting

to get some taste back and starting to feel so good, like I don't even have anything to do with this nasty,

nasty.

Rosieo

• LvinAZ44
    LvinAZ44 Member Posts: 107
    Options

hi ladies. I've got 4 treatments left, started in November. I am starting to feel worse after each treatment, takes longer to recover. My side aches and my body just hurts. Mt face greens like it has wind byrn, eyes water, and fingers and toes very numb. First scan showed 1 lung lesion gone the other smaller x3, liver went from 40% to 10%. Next scan in April hoping more shrinkage. Abraxane had been tough on me and I hope it works.

• Rosieo
    Options

Lvin

How often do you have to take the Abraxane. I am taking it 3 weeks on and one week off. I just had

a treatment Thurs the 10th and today I felt a little worse than the past few days :-(

I will go again on the 17th. Sorry to hear it has been tough on you.

Rosieo

• LvinAZ44
    Options

sounds like my regiment is same as yours. 4 more to go. Ugh. My eyes have started to water again. It's so annoying can't wait to see if I feel better soon.

• Rosieo
    Options

Hi Ladies

Just a little note to tell you about my MO visit today. My appt was for 2 15. Nurse took my vitals and then sent me back to the room where I get the chemo and they check your blood. Nurse drew my blood and I am waiting and waiting. Now it is like 3 45 PM. ( they close at 4) but I thought "oh well , I guess they were busy and I will be patient" The nurse comes over and says " The Dr will see you back after you get your cat scan in two weeks" WHAT? I said where is my treatment. I told her I am supposed to get 3 weeks on and one week off. Well,it all boils down to somebody goofed. I couldn't get it then as they were closing so I have to go again tomorrow..:-( She said I could come tomorrow if I wanted to.!! So is my treatment important or not??

Oh Well!!

Rosieo

• Rosevalley
    Rosevalley Member Posts: 1,664
    Options

I was just reading through this thread and noticed how much Nausea was a problem. I have been taking CBD oil tincture made from Pot and you place drops under your tongue. It's kind of spendy 30$ a bottle but it really works.There are flavors I use the citrus and the mint. There is no THC and highfrom it. I tried it for N/V from ascites and bowel blockages and nausea from Doxil (chemo). It does not appear to cause constipation and I think it works well.I hope this bit of information brings you relief. Good luck to you all.

• Rosieo
    Options

Rose

Thank you for that information. I have CBD oil but I have not used it as I am afraid it will interfere

with my chemo. I would like to check that out with my oncologist but I am sure he will tell me not to

take it. Any further reference on this with someone still taking chemo??

Thanks again

Rosieo

• Rosieo
    Options

Lvin

What kind of scan do you get to show how your lung lesion is doing. My MO is scheduling me for

a cat scan next week. My largest lung met was 4.1 cm on the last scan, :-(

Thanks

Rosieo

• Rosieo
    Options

HI everyone. I had my third treatment Thursday the 24. Counting the day of chemo today is the fifth

day. I feel like crap. Anyone else feeling so lousy after all those days.

I hope no one does but just thought I would check. :-)

Very few people on this thread. I would wonder do you think Abraxane is not a most used chemo

Thanks

Rosieo

• auroaya
    Options

Hi Rosieo, sorry that you're dealing with this. Like I mentioned before all my se's dissapearead (except hair loss) when my doctor switched my schedule from 3 weeks on 1 week off to 2 weeks on 1 week of. you might want to ask your onc if he/she can make a similar switch or lower the dose (my onco wouldn't lower the dose because she said it would be inefficient.

Sending hugs and prayers that the se's disminish.

Aurora

• LvinAZ44
    Options

im in the same boat. Feel bad even today and my treatment was Thurs. Fri and Sat I was balled up on the couch barely get up. I'm 2 weeks on one off. When I was getting zofran I wasn't as sick, they switched to something else now I'm sicker longer. Need to go back to zofran. Hang in there!!!

• Rosieo
    Options

Hi everyone! Had my cat scan last week of March and went to see MO today. He said everything

is about the same. :-( I was hoping for some improvement. He said we will stay on the Abraxane.

I opted out of chemo today because as I told him I am very tired, don't feel good, and just can't eat

too much. I don't thing the not feeling good has to do with the chemo se's, I think something else is

brewing. I quess we will just wait and see. Hope everyone is doing well.

Rosieo

• GatorGal
    GatorGal Member Posts: 750
    Options

Hi ladies,

I've just read through your thread since I will be joining you next week. I will have my first treatment on the 13th. My oncologist called yesterday to discuss this treatment with me. I have been on halaven since December and my cat scan two weeks ago showed progression in the lung, so as per stage IV protocol, it's on to the next chemo. I have had good luck with taxanes other than SE's so my oncologist thinks abraxane is my next step. If I remember correctly, he said I would be one week on, three weeks off. That doesn't sound like what anyone is here is doing so maybe I mixed it up. Maybe it's 3 weeks on, one week off. Guess I will find out next week. Anyone, it does sound like I need to prepare for nausea after I get home. I do usually get pretreatment for nausea. Thanks for all the good information here. Glenna

• auroaya
    Options

Glenna I agree it's probably 3 weeks on one week off also did your doc mentioned this one makes you loose your hair? Yep it does but as long as it works it is worth it. Good luck!

Well my time with Abraxane has passed. My tumor markers are on the riSe and they've always been stable before so something is brewing somewhere. My onco and I have agreed on trying Faslodex with Ibrance next which is a new combo approved by FDA .

I'll pop in here once in a while to see how everyone's doing.

Aurora

• GatorGal
    Options

Hair? I have lost my hair a few times and This stringy stuff I have now I wouldn't describe as hair! LOL! After 5 years of chemo I have plenty of hats, wigs, scarves, etc. My 11 year old grandson just grew his hair out for me and I am having a halo wig made. Can't wait to get it! He is a sweet one!

I actually was going to do the ibrance/faslodex combo but my onc opted to try abraxane first. Good luck, aurora!

• JanetLove
    JanetLove Member Posts: 1
    Options

Hi friends .... starting Abraxane this week. Just wondered what to expect ....

• GatorGal
    Options

Janet, we will be starting the same week. I'm hoping for some quick shrinkage in my lung. I'm having a bit of pain and would like to put that to rest. I've read through this entire thread (easy enough since it's only 2 pages) and feel that nausea is something I need to be prepared for. Losing hair seems to be a definite side effect but I've lost my hair a couple of times and always feel like the cancer is working if the hair is falling out! Anyway, I'm sure you've read through the posts as well. I hope we both have really good results. Best wishes to all on abraxane and to those who are leaving to start new treatments

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,966
    Options

Welcome, Janet! Best of luck to you and GG starting your treatment this week!

--The Mods

• Rosieo
    Options

Janet and GG

I have been on Abraxane for about 2 months. ( really have to check exact date :-) )

For me it has not been so bad. I did lose my hair. I do get tired and mostly right now, as I told my MO I just do not have any appetite and my taste buds are kaput.

One thing that is really bothering me now is this cough I have. It is really getting the best of me.

Janet and GG let us know how it goes.

Good luck to all.

Rosieo

• auroaya
    Options

Rosieo I am just coming out of a three-week cough-runny nose period. I went to see my General Practitioner and he ordered x-rays and listened to my lungs. He said he could hear some fluid at the bottom of my left lung and due to my compromised immune system due to Abraxane he treated as pneumonia I did a week course of antibiotics and I am still taking a cough suppressant and I am finally getting through it. I would suggest you get your cough checked out if it has lasted longer than just a chest cold.

Aurora

• Rosieo
    Options

Thanks Aurora

I think that is what I was wanting someone to second what I already thought I should do. I was going to call my regular doctor, but then of course I keep thinking well, I told my MO how many times about the cough and he just sort of ignores it.

Thanks for the push. I am going to make an appt with my regular dr.

Rosieo

• Rosieo
    Options

bump

• GatorGal
    Options

so far, so good. Was able to sleep in spite of the decadron. No nausea. Yeah! My appetite has been pretty crappy for quite a while so can't blame it on abraxane. Think i need to keep puddings and stuff like that on hand. Have a busy weekend planned so hope I have the energy to pull it off.

• Rosieo
    Options

Hi all !!!!!!!!!

Well here it is the 5th day after treatment and I have no appetite at all and I am so tired.

It will be time for my next treatment on the 21st before I am even feeling worth while.

Anybody else have no appetite.

Rosieo

• GatorGal
    Options

5 days after first treatment. No appetite here either. Trying to eat small amounts of something several times a day. Need something to increase my appetite. Down to 113 pounds and that scares me!

• Rosieo
    Options

Gator Gal

Well I am nowhere that thin because I had lots of extra pounds to start with :-)

But I have lost about 25 or more lbs. I have been trying to take the Ensure drinks. They

at least give you 220 calories and protein and vitamins. Today I ate all my breakfast. Scrambled

eggs and a small sausage. So doing better today. Hope you are too. But I will be back for

another chemo on Thursday.

I noticed on the listing of your chemo treatment that you are also on Havelbine and Navelbine. ARe you taking both of those with the Abraxane.

Thanks Rosieo