Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Abraxane

Options

Comments

• GracieM2007
    GracieM2007 Member Posts: 1,255
    Options

neuropathy is a loss of nerve endings in the feet and hands. It can be a tingling, all the way to fill numbness. It can cause anything from sharp pain to a continuous ache. If you notice any of those things you just need to let your oncologist know.

HLB, I lost all my hair about 3 to 4 treatments in. I had 15 treatments so far and am on a chemo break, which is about four weeks now, and I still have no hair.

• HLB
    HLB Member Posts: 740
    Options

Thanks for the info Gracie. 

• Wanderingneedle
    Wanderingneedle Member Posts: 220
    Options

HLB, I lost a large amount of hair during my week off after the third treatment. I shaved my head and got a wig because I was traveling the next week. I have finished three sessions and start my fourth tomorrow. I still have hair growing but I’m keeping it shaved until I finish treatment- whenever that is! My MO isn’t sure. You would be lucky to not lose your hair. I find it a hassle.

• HLB
    Options

Wandering thanks. I just had 3rd one yesterday so maybe it will be soon. I lost it way back in 2005 and I didn't mind because it was so hot out and my cars ac wasn't working. Also no hair blowing into face and getting stuck on my lipstick, no spending time on it in the morning. Plus my hair has gotten ugly since taking Xeloda. I never use a dryer but when it's dry it's so wooly looking like cotton candy. I still haven't figured out what to with it. I never had hair like that before. Plus I have all kinds of plans for wearing a scarf with a volumizer like the Jewish ladies. I love that look lol! 

• HLB
    Options

Lobby I'm wondering why you are on IV chemo already. It looks like it's only your 2nd treatment. I don't blame you for keeping the hair clipped. It will keep coming out a bit at a time for a few days and it get everywhere! 

• Wanderingneedle
    Options

HLB, I was doing fine on Ibrance/letrozole and after 7 months the tumor started growing again - quickly! It’s been shrinking on the abraxane but it seems to either have stopped shrinking or slowed to no change after 3 sessions. MO wants to continue and do a PET scan in January. I recently asked my PCP for a referral for a second opinion and will be setting that up soon. It’s just been frustrating while dealing with lots of family drama at the same time. It’s hard to split my energy into so many directions.

• HLB
    Options

That is frustrating. I have noticed with the last 2 treatment my tm went way down for 2 months then right back up again. I ended up on the last one for over a year anyway by the time they wait to see more markers then get a scan etc. I also noticed with those 2 and now with abraxane, I feel sort of bad for 7-10 days, then suddenly feel great and all side effect goes away. Hopefully they can things down so you are back on pills soon.

• klmpk
    klmpk Member Posts: 50
    Options

Hi Abraxaners,

I just finished my first cycle, 3 treatments and 1 week off. I started shedding like crazy after 3rd treatment. I got a really short pixie haircut so now I'm shedding short hairs. It really is annoying. I did buy a wig and have started wearing it. I feel like it bothers me more this time then the 1st time, but could be my imagination or I'm crankier. Also, I was on Xeloda for about 3 months and my hair got crappy looking so not a great loss.

Tomorrow I get my blood work and my 1st CA15-3 after Abraxane. I'm really nervous. I've been on this (2nd) journey for a year now and nothing has worked. Faslodex, Verzenio, and Xeloda. My cancer mutated for from ER+ (50-75%) to ER+ 1-10%. A month or so ago my Onc said it was not in my major organs. It's in my cecum and abdomen. But at this point i don't feel confident about anything. Who knows where it is now. I too have these random twinges of pain(not bad) in different places. SE's seem tolerable at this point, but who knows and who knows how long I will be on it. I guess my biggest worry is not knowing if I'm going to see next Christmas or maybe 10 Christmas's from now. Sorry if I sound maudlin.

Karen

• Texan12
    Texan12 Member Posts: 3
    Options

Just started Abraxane last Wednesday, doing every 3 weeks. I had forgotten how rough these first few days after chemo are. I went to work on Thursday but left early, got in bed and pretty much didn't get up until this morning (Sunday). Nausea hasn't been too bad but horrible body aches, especially knees and back, and Saturday night sharp shooting pains near bra line on the left side. Appetite has been almost nonexistent. The last couple of weeks have been a whirlwind and this new life is going to take some getting used to. I am 46 with 15 and 11 year old daughters, mentally I am a wreck, physically pretty healthy so hopefully can stand up to whatever they throw at me. Nice to meet you all.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,025
    Options

Texan12, we are very sorry you find yourself here, and to hear what you are going through. We are here to support you Medicating.

• GracieM2007
    Options

I’m on a chemo break right now from Abraxane. Have done five months, three weeks on, one off. All in all it wasn’t nearly as bad as AC combo was. May be going back to it, will find out Tuesday. I’m sorry you’ve had such a bad time of it

• HLB
    Options

Karen, I too just finished the first cycle. Tomorrow starts the week off. Hair started coming out this past Tues or wed and I got it buzzed off with clippers by some Italian guy. I also have shooting pains in wierd places as well as the whole body aching like when I have the flu. It's only for about 2-3 days. I find it pretty tolerable but the shooting pains can get pretty bad, like something is piercing me. So far with most treatments my side effects seem to go away as if my body gets used to it. 

• klmpk
    klmpk Member Posts: 50
    Options

HI All,

Well I got my CA15-3 back on Tuesday. It went up from 278 on 10/29 to 343 on 12/17. Not moving in the right direction. I will have another one on 1/3/19 and then 1/25/19 when I get back from Mexico. If the trend doesn't change we will do another scan. Also waiting for results from Tempus. So I'm sure I may be changing treatment in February. All in all I'm feeling good and seem to be tolerating chemo pretty well. Scary part is possible bowel obstruction and if cells move to major organs. We just don't know from day to day what's coming next. The best thing about this forum is hearing how so many of you have been living for so long with MBC.

Karen

• Wanderingneedle
    Options

Merry Christmas to all on the Abraxane treatments and wishing each of you a wonderful holiday with no side effects!

• JCSLibrarian
    JCSLibrarian Member Posts: 548
    Options

Hello all!

Just started Abraxane for de novo stage IV MBC with lung mets. Three weeks on, then one off.So far no bad SE’s. Will get the Nuelasta patch next week. I hear that can be problematic. I wish I knew more about the different chemos and why the MO chooses what they do. I am a “young”, healthy 65 yr old that does not want to be sick. I am learning a great deal from the people on these forums.

• Wanderingneedle
    Options

JCS, you will find lots of info on the lung mets thread. I was also diagnosed de novo and this is my second line of treatment. My doctor put me on this to shrink the tumor but hasn’t yet told me what my next treatment will be. I just finished my 4th cycle and the SE’s are cumulative. Lost most of my hair around the third week and nausea has been different with each cycle. Just listen to what your body is telling you and ask questions

• HLB
    Options

JCS, I am on the same treatment but no neulasta. It can cause bone pain. I've heard that Claritin helps. On day 4 I get flu-like body aches from abraxane. Other than that not too bad. I work FT except the day of chemo. I could work that day too but treatment time is usually too long and unpredictable depending on how busy they are.

• Teachermom2
    Teachermom2 Member Posts: 56
    Options

Hi All,

After failing Doxil I am now on to Abraxane with Carboplatin, and boy am I nervous. Three weeks on one week off, carbo only the first week. I have two kids who I try and keep up with and hide my ailments. I will cold cap, but I have read this treatment is really harsh, worse than Taxotere...and advice? Anything you can tell me will be more helpful than you know.

Hope you all are feeling well and wishing us all good things for the New Year

• JCSLibrarian
    JCSLibrarian Member Posts: 548
    Options

Thanks for the info. I have Claritin so am ready for the Neulasta. This is all confusing to keep track of. I promised myself to journal more in 2019 so I can keep up with things. Hate to think I have chemo brain already. 🤪

• GracieM2007
    Options

I did five months of Abraxane, and have been in a break from it for seven weeks. The effects are cumulative, so the first couple of months probably won’t be too bad for you. I do have neuropathy in hands and feet and also got it on my face around my mouth. The break that I took was because the side effects just got too bad. My oncologist was very understanding and allowed me to take some time off. Here’s the thing, Abraxane worked wonders on my cancer. I had already failed to treatments, and had progressed to liver and brain. On my last pet scan which was just three weeks ago I had many spots that had completely resolved, the spot On my liver has not had any change at all, and I only had a few spots active. I did have a gamma knife for the spot in my brain, and so far it seems to be OK . The first couple of days after each treatment

• HLB
    Options

Teacher I have not had Taxotere but I am having no trouble with abraxane. Day 4-5 I get body aches like the flu. It even gets worse at night like the flu. And of course hair loss but other than that nothing to mention. Working FT with no problems however I do sit at a desk all day.

• GracieM2007
    Options

somehow I lost the rest of my post...was just going to say my worst days were 3-5. After that it calmed down. The week off helps alot!

• Wanderingneedle
    Options

GracieM2007, I have just finished cycle 4 and starting to get neuropathy in my feet but not in my hands. I have been using cold socks on my feet and ice packs on my hands but it looks like they haven’t been effective. The nausea hasn’t been too bad but the fatigue has been awful. My bad days are 2-4 and really like that week off! I have a disabled son that recently moved in because his wife filed for divorce (he has some cognitive disabilities but not much physical)and I watch his youngest daughter everyday after school and the oldest on Fridays. It’s hard to keep up. I would love a break from the abraxane but I really just want to be on something that doesn’t slow me down. Will you stay on the abraxane or move to something else?

• Teachermom2
    Options

Ladies thank you for all the input...just trying to figure out what day to schedule to make sure I feel better for the weekend. Also, hair, does it thinn or go all together? I am going to have carboplatin too, so I am guessing it will be harsher. I am debating asking my MO if once every three weeks of Abraxane alone would be as effective...

I don't know what i would do without this site...

• Wanderingneedle
    Options

Teachermom2, my hair mostly fell out after my third dose. Happened within a few days- it came out in chunks. Shaved it off and got a wig that I wear in public but made some turbans to wear at home. It still grows but thinner so I keep it shaved and will grow it when I’m finished with this treatment. I hope I don’t have to do this much longer as I have things to do. There’s a woman in my support group on this and she doesn’t seem to suffer as much as I do.

• GracieM2007
    Options

Wandering, I'm going back to Abraxane. It kicked butt!

Teacher, I also lost almost all of my hair. It's come back in with this break, but I don't expect it to grow much once I start back.

• Teachermom2
    Options

I have been doing a lot of reading...any thoughts on every third week vs. three weeks on one week off? My MO said three weeks on one week off with Carbo, but wondering if I could convince him to do just Abraxane once every third week dose dense... so many thought reeling in my head. Every third week would be easier time wise and with cold capping. But I need this to work! I am heavily pretreated and my livermets are active.

Cancer sucks

• HLB
    Options

Teacher, my oncologist told me he does once  every 3 weeks but he saves that for people who have to travel far for treatment. 

• GracieM2007
    Options

Teacher, I really don't know enough about the difference to be of any help. There is a stage four weekly taxol group that you could look for. A lot of women in there are actually on Abraxane. You might get some who have asked that question too.

• Teachermom2
    Options

Hi All,

Well, my MO really wants me to go with his initial recommendation, 3 weeks on and one week off Carboplatin with Abraxane the first week. He said he really wants me to give it a try and then we will test markers after first round and see. Ugh. I am going to cold cap, but I a, hearing Carbo doesn’t have great success. I have been bawling my eyes out. This sucks...it all sucks. I hate cancer