Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo April 2016

Options

Comments

• Numb
    Numb Member Posts: 307
    Options

Congratulations Mellie on your new son, what a nice distraction from all your troubles.  Hoping you recover well to be able to enjoy your new baby. 

• Numb
    Options

I had three scans today, Echo heart chamber scan, CT scan and Bone scan.  Fingers crossed that they show up nothing else. 

• CJSharma
    CJSharma Member Posts: 305
    Options

I'm new here, all. I start chemo March 31st, but do you mind if I join y'all? I'm doing AC/T - 4 rounds of each, every other week. I'm IDC ER+/PR+ Her2- (amazing that I know what that means now). I'm doing chemo first as Lenny the Lump is big - over 5cm. Lenny was named by a friend, but it made me laugh and think of the cancer more as something separate from me and not my body betraying me, so it stuck.

Lenny decided in make himself known while I was on the phone with my dad. He's a kind of big guy, so my first thought was, "WTF?" Then it went downhill from there. I admit to creating my will and thinking about homes for my menagerie. It's a scary diagnosis.

SO many appointments! I have a surgeon, a breast cancer nurse, an oncologist and a chemo nurse. I've had a mammogram, biopsy (the good thing about Lenny's size is that it made it easy to get samples with aspiration instead of more invasive techniques), Armpit Ultrasound, a Chest XRay that showed a spot on my lung (I used to smoke) so I had a CT Scan. Lung was fine, but I have a thickening in my spine, so a PET Scan was ordered. Nada except Lenny, so that was good news. I had a port installed last Thursday. I also had an EKG, but I need to schedule the echo cardiogram. I'll try to fit that in next week as it appears that I have no appointments next week - can't have that, can we? :p

I'm a glass half full gal, so while I seem irreverent at all of this, I'm actually fully informed and have researched every aspect. I am nervous about starting chemo, but I like to say that the chemo ninjas will shrink Lenny enough so we can kick him out.

I thought about the cool cap therapy, but decided I'd be too stressed wondering if would actually work, so I decided to just let it go and shave my head when the hair starts falling out. I bought a wig and some fun scarves and hats.

I need to go to the store tonight to pick up chemo supplies. My doc told me to go light but there are things I want. My daughter lives about 90 minutes away (she's 23) and will be down tomorrow night to sit with me through my first session and to stay through the weekend. If I need something I don't have, I can make her run and get it.

Mellie - ask your MO for a list of resources in your community. Most likely there are places that can help. The idea of hiring a college kid for a few hours a day is great as well. A newborn will be a handful, but he will give you a reason to get up and push yourself a bit when you really don't want to. Thinking of you. What a horrible shock.

Bagger - I'm with ya - lose the hair - caps, scarves, wigs, and even going bald (which is trendy now) is how I plan to go. :)

Numb - good luck to you. I swear, those tests were as bad as the original diagnosis. Hope all are clear.

I have to admit that I feel fortunate in my doctors. I was assigned a Surgeon who is top notch, and my MO is also excellent. I'm in Northern California so we have some great facilities, and I thought about moving, but I like my team, so I'm staying.

Kind of sucks to have to be here, but it is what it is. My turn on this Merry Go Round. Fortunately, I've done a lot of fund raising for cancer research! I've ridden the LiveStrong bike ride twice, and did the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer a few years back. I want to go back next year and do it again as a survivor.

Christine

• Rroses
    Rroses Member Posts: 3
    Options

roses Starting TCHP about April 8, port in April 4. Who has their port, how do you feel after, can do things that evening ??

Dx 3/1 Total knee replacement 3/2

IDC, RIght, 2.5 cm, ER+/PR+ HER2 +

• CJSharma
    Options

Hi Roses - I got my port last Thursday. I felt okay after, just weird. I could have done something like go out to dinner. I wouldn't have wanted to do anything too strenuous. I ended up negotiating a contract a couple hours later, so I was mentally alert. I was a bit more tired than usual, but I did a spin workout on Friday (then took a nap :p ). It is surgery.

• Rroses
    Options

Thanks, I run a coloring group and my husband will set up the tables/chairs so my job buy the cookies pour the wine welcome the colorists shouldn't be too hard. thanks

• CJSharma
    Options

Oh, how fun!! I think you'll be fine. I wasn't in a lot of pain, honestly. I only took the hard drugs at night and only twice.

• Rroses
    Options

thanks, one more question, how do you get your Dx and Chemo to come up at the bottom of your post?

• CJSharma
    Options

Go into my profile. You can enter them there - you'll see the options. You have to make them public.

• 7of9
    7of9 Member Posts: 474
    Options

Thank you to those sharing their diagnosis and meds for the side effects including anxiety. I tried Effexor last time around but doctor prescribed 150 mg --- waaaay too high. I felt like I was my skin was crawling everywhere. I ended up not doing it after 4 days...but the attivan and ambien have been life savers. Kudos to you Mattie Fang on your philosophy about going bald. I kinda wish I'd not screw with the cold caps but I already dropped $300 on 3 of them so I might as well try. Plus too I don't want to alarm my 6 year old or his friends. I am hoping to keep just enough hair so a hat / baseball cap will suffice for during the hot summer months rather than a darn hot itchy wig. I detested mine last time as it was spring/summer too...though people and photos looking back actually look good. I don't know how or why Dolly Parten does it!

• anniekaja11
    anniekaja11 Member Posts: 116
    Options

Hi Arista and Ksusan - I hear ya. Its so weird because my first appointment with him was great. He was compassionate, teared up when I did.I had told him I was so scared of loosing my health and not being able to work. He said that wouldn't happen, that he is treating the whole person, the whole me and can change things up. So I'm kind of shocked about Monday's meeting. I'm going to wait as it causes more stress to think about how to and trying to manage a change. I'll look into it thought and find out about other MOs. I want the TCH + Perjeeta and that should be happening.

Welcome Chemo Buddies Sherri and Mellie!!!!

Barb, you are going to be our fearless leader!

We can do this! Step by step, round by round, SE by SE. I'm so glad to have you all.

Annie

• OnceOnce
    OnceOnce Member Posts: 2
    Options

I am starting chemo (TC x 4) this Thursday, port installed today. I am very stiff and have a sore neck! Looking at the positive side, this will make it easier in my veins!

• CJSharma
    Options

OnceOnce - that does go away in a few days. I got my port installed on Thursday of last week. It still feels kind of odd, but I can turn my head and do most things I used to.

• Numb
    Options

Best of luck tomorrow, OnceOnce and CJSharma, let us know how you get on. 

• kristy525
    kristy525 Member Posts: 2
    Options

Please add me to this April chemotherapy group I start AC+T on 20 April.... My story... I am 46 and had an absolutely stone cold normal mammogram in October 2015... Went on a cruise with my husband and two teenage kids for Christmas and felt a lump in my left breast... Didn't really think much of it given the normal mammogram in October and the fact that my menstral cycle has been nothing short of crazy for the last year or so... Chalked breast tenderness and lump up to another symptom of impending menopause... My 16 year old daughter says I'm "sputtering" before I quit altogether. Anyway after two cycles and the lump not going away I went to see my doctor who ordered a diagnostic mammogram and ultrasound.... I'm sure you can probably guess by my presence on these boards that those results were "highly suggestive" of malignancy. I had a core biopsy that confirmed my cancer diagnosis. I had a lumpectomy and sentinel node biopsy on March 18. It was a 3.1 cm mass with clear margins and negative lymph node. Anyway, onto the next step...oh btw, I also recently (1 Feb 2015) retired from the Air Force... If there are any other veterans out there... Would like to hear from you (getting all of my treatments in a military hospital). This too shall pass

• Numb
    Options

Welcome kristy, I see you are triple negative like myself, although I am ILC and you are IDC,  and you are getting the same treatment as me.  I will also be getting radiotherapy after that.  Will you ?

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,003
    Options

Hi all!

For you and all who will be joining you here, we wanted to provide some helpful links, starting with the main Breastcancer.org site's section on Chemotherapy, including info on what to expect with chemo, types of chemo meds, and side effect management. Also, the Treatment Side Effects section is a great resource for tips to help manage any side effects you may experience.

There are some really helpful key threads here in the Chemo forum too! Great tips and practical advice on the following discussion board threads:

Also, Last Month's Chemo thread might be informative!

Hope you find this helpful!

--Your Mods

• kristy525
    kristy525 Member Posts: 2
    Options

hi numb! Yes I too will have radiotherapy... I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed and emotional today... Son onco yesterday and got dates settled to start chemo... I had weird hair dreams last night... I was floating down a river of hair on a raft...where in the world are you? I'm in Northern California

• 7of9
    7of9 Member Posts: 474
    Options

I see onc tomorrow and find out if it's Xeoloda or Taxotere for me in a few days, few weeks. :( So bummed out. Thought I'd be tougher since I already did surgery and radiation...2/3rds done. It's an attivan and Ambien night for me.

• LacrosseMom
    LacrosseMom Member Posts: 8
    Options

Hi Everyone! Sounds like we are all in the same boat, running around to get scans, second and third opinions etc. I hope that you all are being kind to yourselves during this process. I am normally on top of everything work wise and family wise which has proven difficult with all of the Dr appointments and trying to absorb this diagnosis!! I am trying to be kind to myself and remind mysef that right now, my focus needs to be on myself and fighting this disease!

I had my port placed today. It went well. My right shoulder and upper back feels very stiff and sore. (Almost like I worked out a little too hard) I expect that to get better day by day. Scans for me tomorrow and Friday! I am hoping and praying for good results.

I wish you all glimpses of joy as you journey through the rest of your week. I think of you all daily and most especially when I am running around to all of my BC related appointments. It helps me to keep you all "with" me because it reminds me that I am not fighting alone! We allfight together!

• njnancy
    njnancy Member Posts: 32
    Options

Hi guys,

Found out today that i will need chemo. Have to admit, i really didn't think i would need it. Both surgeons i saw indicated that my tumor was small, we caught it early and my genetic counseling scores were great. I was devastated today when they indicated that I need chemo. I need to find an oncologist now and don't know where to begin. The one I was going to use was in Manhattan and I need one in NJ -- I can't be running back and forth that frequently to the city, too physically training. Im emotionally exhausted today.

• CJSharma
    Options

It IS overwhelming, isn't it? My daughter is grown and I only have to deal with me and the animals (I have a bit of a menagerie as I foster kittens and have 3 dogs). My job has been amazing about my crazy appointment schedule. But I feel so far behind on work, etc (I'm an account manager so I have a quota and I have responsibility to renew customers - it can get a bit stressful, but I do have the world's best boss, which is nice), and I feel that everything is reduced to my cancer, which I hate. But I guess that's life right now.

Today is my first day of chemo. I have a blog going about this experience, but I'll share as much as I can today so you know what to expect on your first day of chemo. Number 1 - if you're like me, expect to sleep like utter crap the night before! Of course, I went out with my work team for dinner to a steak house. I was very careful with the wine - 2 sips of water for one sip of wine - but steak, even the best, always settles in my stomach like a brick. Oh well, the food was so good, and for a "last meal" it was pretty darned good.

Keep on keeping on, everyone! And a big group HUG! This sucks so bad, and I'm sorry everyone is going through this, but I'm glad we are able to go through this together.

• CJSharma
    Options

So, everyone who says chemo is BORING is right. Make sure you bring a computer or something for entertainment. Time to catch up on all of those Netflix shows. :p

The port is pretty cool. I did not use anything to numb the skin and it was less painful than an IV prick. I kind of feel as if I've been "plugged in" to the machine. It does inflate the tubing in the neck a bit, so that's weird. I'm still skeeved by the whole whole tube in a neck vein thing, but I'll survive. :p

I arrived for my appointment and was checked in and given a lovely white hospital bracelet that is checked before each drug is "imported". The first is a steroid which takes about 15 minutes, the second is a combination of anti-nausea and take 30 minutes. The next is the Adriamycin which is actually plunged into the port so that takes about 5 minutes and the last is Cytoxan which takes an hour. So basically about 2 hours + of sitting around.

Then we leave with instructions to pay attention to how sick I feel - and try different meds to help as they all target different receptors. I have an order in which to use them and directions on which are good for bed time (steroids make you jumpy so I got an anti-nausea med that will help me sleep.

• agharta
    agharta Member Posts: 16
    Options

Greetings everyone,

I am 32 and just had my lumpectomy on March 21. I'll begin my chemo on April 8th hopefully. I will be on AC for 4 rounds every 3 weeks and then AC and Herceptin every week for 12 weeks. I plan to work during chemo so experiences with work are highly appreciated.

• njr426
    njr426 Member Posts: 53
    Options

HI everyone. I am unfortunately joining the April 2016 Chemo group. (Do any of us really want to be here?!) I was diagnosed in February, had surgery in March and should be starting chemo around April 11th or so. I'm getting my port next Wednesday.

I've been lurking on the boards for a while now and decided to join and planning to comment (I'm on Facebook regularly but rarely post anything) since reading about everyone's experiences has been very helpful, so maybe my comments will be helpful also. Once I knew for sure chemo was happening, I started reading all through the March 2016 Chemo thread to get an idea of what I was in for! Then of course this thread when it started (Thanks to Numb!). I really appreciate hearing from all these women taking the time to talk about the good, bad and ugly of what they are going through.

I'm 49 and have been told a few times recently that I am young (which is nice to hear!) since I'm under 50. Well, 50 hits the end of April and for all the comments I've made over the past year of "Ugh I'll be 50" this is certainly the last thing I expected to be doing on my 50th birthday! (Plus I just got the requisite AARP mail today!)

• Numb
    Options

Well done CJSharma, you are the first to report back on the April chemo and you seem to be okay and thanks for the details.   So far so good, hope you have a good night and let us know how the next few days go.

• araven
    araven Member Posts: 10
    Options

Hello all. I'd like to be added to the group, as I start chemo treatments tomorrow. A few days ago I was so scared, but after having found some good articles and posts by others here, I have been able to calm down. I feel better having more tips and practical advice from those who have already gone through this. Thank you to all who have posted. It really does help.

• Numb
    Options

Best of Luck for tomorrow Bagger and Araven

• CJSharma
    Options

Yes, Bagger and Avaren - best of luck tomorrow. Here's hoping it goes as smoothly as possible. I'm out and working on contracts, I even walked the dogs a mile, so I have energy and I'm doing okay. I went to Panera for lunch. I did have a little issue (very little) with indigestion after, but it's fine. I'll have my daughter run to get me some Pepcid or something like that. I did make up the baking soda/water/salt mixture and have swished. I also took the stool softener as the cytoxan is known to royal plug things up. So far so good there. But better safe than sorry.

I'll keep you informed of my progress this weekend - evidently I'll be hit hardest on Saturday, which is why I planned for Thursday.

One thing that even though I was informed it still startled me - the Adriamycin turns your pee orange/red - so don't be alarmed. It's normal. I also got a very gentle massage. My center has a massage therapist some days. It was really nice. :)

• njr426
    njr426 Member Posts: 53
    Options

CJSharma, one step closer to being done! Looks like we are on the regimen. Thank you for posting - it's good to have some idea of how long it takes. Did you only have the steroid at the time of treatment? My doctor will be prescribing it for me to take before hand. I wasn't sure if I would be doing just that or if they give you more before your treatment begins.