Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo April 2016

Options
1404142434446»

Comments

• Numb
    Numb Member Posts: 307
    Options

CJSHARMA - Congratulations on your full mastectomy, what a relief it must be for you to be rid of the troublemakers.

You are lucky to be able to take Tamoxifen, I can't take any of those preventatives as I am triple negative and they would have no effect.

I have booked a holiday to Spain in early April so hopefully I will be able to go. I had to cancel the same holiday last year and would love to be able to go this year.

You are still exercising and walking, good for you. You have great energy I must say.

• Numb
    Options

LimnoGal - thanks for the update and congrats on your all clear. Lovely to be able to go on a holiday with news like that.

• Numb
    Options

HAIR

Anyone got a decent head of hair yet ? Mine is only about half an inch long after 5 months and probably too short to have it dyed, so while I am wearing my wig on special occasions I feel I should leave it off to let the air at my head. I can't wait to be able to blow dry it and get a decent style on it.

• Positivepower11
    Positivepower11 Member Posts: 81
    Options

Dear Numb/Limno gal and CJ,

Good to hear from all of you, my next mamo is early April and I am hoping all will be well.

I am tolerating Tamox well, but do have the hot flashes that you do CJ and I also get hives once in a while.

Radiation also led to skin peeling, my fault that I stopped exercises and physio after seeing the skin peeling and now just this month have a delayaed reaction with heavy tight breast and limited range of motion on the left arm. Back to full on physio from last month.

Rest is all good, I come back on this site see how my fellow travelers are doing and its good to see the pick up in activity here.

• Numb
    Options

Positivepower - thanks for dropping in and best of luck in April. My breast is not back to normal yet, I still have pain on the scar and a heaviness since the radiation, and sometimes I get a pain in my right arm but it doesn't last. I am putting all this down to the treatment, hope that's all it is.

• limnogal
    limnogal Member Posts: 100
    Options

Numb- I have a head full of crazy chemo curls that are about 3-5 cm long. While I am extremely grateful to have hair again, I have to admit that it still startles me to see myself in the mirror. I always had longer, wavy hair. It will be years before I am back to where I was before all of this business.

• Positivepower11
    Options

Thanks Numb ,

I have a relatively decent head of hair and will be taking off my wig soon .  I did however cold cap , but  lost 90 percent of my hair post chemo and started wearing a wig. I then googled and followed most traditional methods to speed up hair growth and have found the following things help.

1)  Vigorous Oil massage with castor / almond/ coconut  oil.

2) Rubbing juice of half onion on head ( I know sounds gross but wrap the head and wash off after 40 minutes - you can google).

3) Again  please google "Inversion  method" - basically is inverting head below heart and massaging for 5 minutes with a luke warm oil one week a month - stop for 3 weeks. Supposed to help hair grow and I have found it helps.

• Numb
    Options

Thanks for the hair feedback LimnoGal and PositivePower - my hair is white at the front and all the back of my head is dark. I am 5 months past chemo now but am tempted to go and get a colour in. It is very short though and very curly so don't know if getting a colour in would improve the situation. Probably will keep wearing the wig for special occasions.

Definitely will start to oil my head PositivePower as the front of my head is very dry and the hair in that particular spot is not as long as the rest of it. Good tip.

There is also a produce called Nioxin which I saw advertised which is meant to be good for hair growth. I haven't tried it yet but I must.

• bagger
    bagger Member Posts: 36
    Options

Reporting in. My hair in front is white too, but I like it, especially with lipstick. It is also growing slower than the rest. I had to trim the rest with an electric clippers to even it out.

Also, I'm the odd one in the group. I had both breasts removed and did not opt for reconstruction. I've gone flat and really like it. No mammograms and a bra only if I want to wear stuffing in it.

• Numb
    Options

Bagger - thanks for dropping in. I would not mind the colour of my hair if it was a bit longer. The front is about 1/2 and inch but the rest is about an inch. I am finding the front is growing slower.

Congratulations on having both of your breasts removed. I wish I had had the courage to do that. I would not mind being flat either, and no mammograms to worry about, sheet bliss ThumbsUp

• Numb
    Options

Just to say how thrilled I am to get the ALL CLEAR today. This is the day I thought would never come. DEO GRATIAS

Wishing this for everyone on this forum too.

• Positivepower11
    Options

That's great news Numb- Soo happy for you. Congratulations.

• limnogal
    Options

That's great, Numb! I'm very happy for you.

• carolincincy
    carolincincy Member Posts: 4
    Options

I started 16 rounds chemo april 2016 and completed august 2016. Also had 25 rads, lymph node removal and partial mastectomy. STILL having side effects like numbness and muscle pain. Cant sleep and horrible hot flashes. Anyone else still having SE a year after completing chemo?

• limnogal
    Options

carolincincy-I still have hot flashes, muscle aches and some swelling in my feet. They are gradually getting better. Definitely not fast enough for me, though. I'm also on femara. That's probably not helping...

• Numb
    Options

Hi there, long time since I read this forum, but had to come back and say I have gotten the all clear for 3 years now. Keeping my fingers crossed and never stop praying. Love to hear from anyone else who took this journey with me.

• limnogal
    Options

Congratulations, Numb! I just got my 3 year all clear today. Many more years of all clears to all of us

• Numb
    Options

Congratulations LimnoGal and thanks for letting us know. Keeping fingers crossed for the years to come.

• Juliahair
    Juliahair Member Posts: 1
    Options

Great, good to know your struggle to the illness! Very encourage and powerful!

• Numb
    Options

Just had my 5 year cancer free mammogram, Deo gratias.

• limnogal
    Options

Congratulations, Numb! I just got my 5 year all clear, too.

• njr426
    njr426 Member Posts: 53
    Options

Congrats to those 5 years clear! Had my mammogram in January and everything is still looking good.