Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo April 2016

Options

Comments

• totallytubular
    totallytubular Member Posts: 17
    Options

thanks ksuan!

• anniekaja11
    anniekaja11 Member Posts: 116
    Options

Welcome Totallytube!

I'm so glad to hear from people doing well and managing the side effects. I'm learning so much from you ladies who are going before me. I feel like I'm cheating in a way!

Hydration, exercise, take it day by day. I'm still confused on all the regimes - what to take prior to/with/ and after...This weekend I hope to take some time to study it all and write it down so I can keep track.

Tomorrow I am hoping to get my cold caps all set during my lunch hour. My hubby's chemo job is to be the manager of the cold caps, the cooler and the bringer of dry ice. He is going to study how to put the caps on my head and we'll practice. I'm glad that he has a job! Personally, I really don't care about loosing my hair too much - now loosing my eyebrows and eyelashes freak me out and I walk around town looking at people's eyebrows :) - but for my job, (I'm a mental health counselor) I feel that keeping my hair will help my clients focus on themselves and not get stressed. AND I want to promote the option of cold caps at my center and with my doctors who appear largely ignorant. I also want to advocate for insurance companies to have to pay for them if a woman wants them AND for cancer centers to offer this and nurses to be trained to change the caps out. This is something I think will happen in the next 5 - 10 years. Anyways, so that's my motive.

Well we bought a blue house today, it s new stand a lone house in a townhouse development where we're pretty crowded in but we're excited to be in the city. It will be ready the end of July - when I am finished with chemo! What a present!

• Numb
    Numb Member Posts: 307
    Options

Welcome TotallyTubu and hope you are doing well today. 

How are you today PediGG ?

Congratulations on your new house Annie.

Great that you are doing so well CJSharma, hope I do just as well next week, looking forward to it now Nerdy

• CJSharma
    CJSharma Member Posts: 305
    Options

Good morning everyone! BUSY last night! I love it!

Welcome TT! Good luck today! I hope you are feeling well. Stay on top of your meds, including the stool softener. We're here for you. I live alone, too (I'm separated with no plans to return! :p ). It's me and my menagerie (I have 3 dogs and 3 cats and I'm fostering 3 kittens). I drank a lot of diet ginger ale. I know diet soda is not the best, but it worked, so, I'm not complaining. I may look into ways to make it myself.

Annie - CONGRATS on the new house!!! What a way to celebrate being chemo free!! I think the take it day by day is the most important - along with the hydration - make sure you are fully hydrated at all times. It just makes life easier. There is a kind of fun little app called "Plant Nanny" that reminds you to drink water if you would like some help. It's free. I'm using it.

I'm interested in hearing how the caps work. One of the women I know used them and had a lot of success. My doctor poo-poo'd the idea and as I try to convince myself I don't care about the hair (it's going to be hard when it actually goes, I know), I decided to forgo it. I'm also kind of worried about the eye lashes. (eyebrows can be drawn on). I've heard people have had success with Latisse, but again my doc won't prescribe it, she says it's a waste of time. There are knock off products, so I'm trying one of those. I'll let you know.

Numb - I hope you do as well your whole treatment as I've done this week. Heck, I hope I do as well the rest. We'll see. :) But good luck and we'll be here for you the whole way.

I think my taste is going. My coffee doesn't taste as good as it typically does. It's not bad, but it's not that warm, wonderful cup of love :p that it usually is.

I think one thing to remember through all of this - regardless of the symptoms, you're reactions, etc - it's temporary. As Annie says - we're doing a chemical "cleanse" and it's going to bring us back to health. In other places on this forum they ask for people to be "in their pocket" (meaning - being there and thinking of them). If you ever need me to be in your pocket, ask - I'll be there with bells on!

• CJSharma
    Options

A friend who has been through this journey before sent me this quote and I think it's something to remember. :)

• Numb
    Options

Thanks for that post Christine, you are so upbeat, makes chemo sound like a breeze.   I hadn't imagined you living on your own.   Ginger ale, that is a great tip.  I heard that ginger is very good for warding off cancer and that would be a good way of taking it.   I was on the look out for ginger tea, but so far haven't found any.

The thought just struck me too that if we are expecting side effects from the chemo we will probably get them, like we are willing them to happen if you know what I mean.  So I am going to try and talk myself out of them when I get them, that is if I can.

That's a good saying Christine because I had been saying to myself all along "so long as I can breathe I will be alright".  I had a tight chest after the lumpectomy, probably due to the general anaesthetic and while it only lasted 24 hours it was a bit frightening while it lasted.  So that is why I was saying that.

• ksusan
    ksusan Member Posts: 461
    Options

You can cut up a piece of ginger (about a teaspoonful or more) and steep it in hot water, then add the liquid to tea. I make a mix of fresh turmeric, fresh or freeze-dried ginger, black pepper, and stevia, and add this to a cup of green tea.

• BilliardMama
    BilliardMama Member Posts: 2
    Options

Hello Ladies! My name is Rory and I just had my first round of chemo yesterday. Back again today to finish the second part of treatment and get my shot.

I'm still new here, trying to figure this whole thing out. I'm a 36 yr old mom to two kiddos 8 and 9. This diagnosis has been a shock to our family and friends. But, I'm fortunate it was caught early and lucky to have an awesome network of support.

• CJSharma
    Options

Yeah, taste is going. My smoothie tastes like sawdust and it's filled with good stuff, so it should taste good. I track calories on My Fitness Pal, so now I'm tracking to make sure I get enough. It's so important that we keep up our nutrition.

The good thing is that this means chemo is working. I have to remember that. :)

I'm a bit tired today. I did a workout - Tracy Anderson Abcentric and Zumba 30 minute burn and I think I over did it. I'll keep note and tone it down a bit tomorrow. Otherwise, I feel okay, and I am hungry, just nothing tastes good. Water is going to be a problem as it tastes icky, too. I may just set reminders and chug cups at the specific time during the day.

• Numb
    Options

Thanks kSusan, that is a great tip.  I will definitely try that.

Welcome Rory,  sorry about your diagnosis, but just know that your cancer is completely treatable.

That's a bummer Christine, pity about your taste going.  I guess it won't come back until you are finished.  I will probably get that se too.  Could you add a flavour to the water e.g. lime.  Don't know if you would even taste it though. 

• araven
    araven Member Posts: 10
    Options

kSusan, your ginger tip is exactly what I've been using: just a few slices of gingerroot steeped in hot water. It works great. It has helped me so much in the last few days. Because of the headaches I was getting, I have not taken any of the anto-nausea meds, but have just made sure to have ginger and keep hydrating. I feel like I'm eating all the time though with these smaller, more frequent meals. Although, I feel like my taste is starting to go also. I've been tired and feeling strange in waves. It's not been a constant and not super predictable yet. I keep jotting down notes hoping it will help in the next round. I'm also really grateful for all your posts, as it truly does help!

• CJSharma
    Options

Hi Rory! You snuck in while I was posting! I did not mean to be rude! I'm happy you found us, but sorry you had to. We were diagnosed about the same time. I have an awesome support network, too - it's awesome, eh? If you even just need to chat with someone who understands, we're here, too. I so glad it was caught early. I keep thinking of something my oncologist said - treatment has came such a long way. It used to be that we would hope for 5-7 more years. Now, we expect 30-40 more. It's a blip - a horrible blip, but a blip none-the-less. HUGS.

Numb - I'm going to play around with different things. I have strawberries in my water right now, but they aren't cutting it. My broccoli cheese soup actually tastes really good - so there is that. I think I'll be eating this for the rest of my life. :p

ARaven - I also have the headaches. I've been dealing with them since day 1 of chemo and they haven't really gone away. Mine are just border-line - just irritating enough to be annoying. Today is the first that I seem to get hot flashes, but I will say I woke up last night at 3AM drenched in sweat, then got sooo cold it wasn't funny. We're having a warm spell and I pulled the heavy comforter over me. I've had a few kind of dizzy spells. Cancer isn't for sissies, is it? :p

I came in to find these on my desk. My boss sent them. :) The bear got a little wet when I watered them, but he's so cute.

Happy Tuesday!

Christine

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,003
    Options

Dear BilliardMama, Welcome to the community. We are sorry for your diagnosis but so glad that you reached out. We look forward to hearing from you. Keep us posted. The Mods

• Pdrchick
    Pdrchick Member Posts: 28
    Options

Hi all - another newbie here. I have a triple positive mucinous carcinoma - stage II, grade 3 - which understand is a rare combination. Starting TCHP on Monday 4/11 (assuming insurance pays for the 'P" - that's a whole other battle!). Nervous as hell, but ready to start kicking this thing! Good luck to all of you. I'll be back to read about your experiences and post a little on mine.

• njr426
    njr426 Member Posts: 53
    Options

There's a few new members since I was last here - welcome to everyone.

Annie - Congrats on the new house - something good to look forward to. And YAY to you for wanting to advocate. I haven't read much about the cold caps but it almost seems as if a patient wants to use them, she has to figure it out (and pay for it) herself. Some doctors seem rather dismissive about it all.

Araven - hopefully they can adjust something next time or at least give you something that will actually get rid of the headaches.

CJ - beautiful flowers - what a nice boss! I'm surprised that even water tastes bad! I too enjoy my morning cup of coffee - guess I'd better enjoy it now while I can. Glad your soup still tastes good.

It all seems like such a long road ahead - I'm glad ksusan reminded us that you do get through it and come out the other side.

Warm wishes to all

• njnancy
    njnancy Member Posts: 32
    Options

Wow, seeing everyone start and get through the first round so successfully is really inspiring. Thank you for the warm posts, it helps those of us behind you. I start on the 25th and Im nervous. Met with the oncologist today and he is recommending TC but not A. Anyone else have that? I have a second opinion on Monday.

• Numb
    Options

Welcome Pdrchick and njnancy.

This group is certainly expanding and everyone seems to be doing well, that's great.

Beautiful flowers Christine and a very nice place to work.

How are you doing PediGG ?

• CJSharma
    Options

I'm having a low day today. I'm not sure if it's due to chemo, or the fact that my poor semi-feral kitty who used to give me foot massages was hit by a car yesterday. I tried to make her an indoor kitty but she was having none of it. I'll miss her greatly. So, I'm grieving. I'm going with depression and not chemo. But I did discover a term called Nadir - which is basically to low point of your immunization before the shot works and starts populating your white blood cells again. A friend thinks I'm there. I have the time frame written down, so I'll see if there is some kind of trend here and let you know.

On the bright side, I'm finding chai tea to be very good, so I don't mind the lack of flavor coffee has. I also have some bumps in my mouth - so keep up with the water/baking soda/salt combo before every meal. I had thought it was just for the first 5 days - nope - this is something I'll be doing daily.

NJNancy - I think there will be ups and downs, but attitude is a lot, and while this post is depressing, I think over all we are very positive. But this is a place to share all experiences - we truly want to know how you are doing, and we'll be in your pocket when you need us.

• 7of9
    7of9 Member Posts: 474
    Options

Numb,

Add me to the list. I start 4/7/16...Taxotere x 4. Just took second round of Dex at noon...planning on doing some painting the halls, bedroom and office and that I have / get the same energy boost I had during first time around.

• Numb
    Options

Hi Christine, so sorry to hear about your cat, that has to be making you sad.  Don't like the sound of the mouth bumps, are they very annoying ?  What proportion of salt, baking soda to the water ?    You are still winning Christine and you haven't had any real bad side effects yet, none that you can't cope with that is.  So that's great.

• Numb
    Options

My God 7of9 you certainly experienced the opposite of most people on these sites, i.e. burst of energy rather than fatigue.  Isn't that amazing ?

• 7of9
    7of9 Member Posts: 474
    Options

Hi Numb,

I get a lot of nervous energy anyhow, but when first diagnosed I did AC + T I painted my bathroom, front porch and patio. Weird but it was spring time too then. I think the nice weather (if it ever gets to Ohio) helps as well. I think it comes from my desire to control something in this mess. I have been getting up and hitting the treadmill the last three mornings, I'm normally an evening walker and I must say I'm kinda tired. Then again (duh) I just ate some turkey and mashed potatoes from Boston Market for lunch to start my bland diet in preparation for any Taxotere GI issues. It's like Thanksgiving afternoon....yawn.

I am hoping once I'm past the first infusion knowing I'm 25% done and hitting the weekend I should feel better...hope hope hope...

• Numb
    Options

Yes, I do understand that control thing 7of9, it takes your mind off the real issue.  I thought to myself that I will concentrate on trying to get my figure perfect while all of this is going on, but then losing weight may not be a good thing as it could lead to my body being under more pressure. 

• Numb
    Options

Best of luck tomorrow 7of9 and LacrosseMom

• cody_mx
    cody_mx Member Posts: 57
    Options

Hi everyone, I start chemo tomorrow, and I´m a nervous wreck, I´m getting taxotere and cytoxan once every 3 weeks for 4 cycles. I will be using the cold caps, is anyone else using them?

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,003
    Options

Hi cody! Welcome to Breastcancer.org! You're sure to receive lots of great support here.

You may want to check out the main Breastcancer.org site's page on Cold Caps and also the thread on Cold Cap Users Past & Present.

We hope this helps and we look forward to hearing more from you.

--The Mods

• Numb
    Options

Welcome Cody, wishing you well for tomorrow.

• CJSharma
    Options

Hi 7of9 - I get that desire to be in control of something. Hopefully your GI issues are few. I'm on AC right now and my sense of taste has changed, but I'm working around it.

Hi Cody - yes, we have a cold capper or two here. I decided to just go with the flow and let the hair fall where it will, but everyone has to do what works best for them! Good luck. I am a week in. It's been interesting.

Numb - the mouth bumps aren't painful or anything just there. You know how you get a bump when you bite your cheek accidentally - it's like that. They aren't growing. I'll guess I'll see what tomorrow brings. The mouth rinse is 4 cups of warm water, 1 tbsp of baking soda and 1 tsp of salt. I mixed it all up and rinse before and after every meal.

This experience is kind of fascinating, honestly. Even the lower points. I've always been healthy as a horse - I'll get a cold every now and again, but usually not bad. I had knee surgery (Zumba incident), but even that I bounced back from quickly. So, it's a learning experience.

• ksusan
    ksusan Member Posts: 461
    Options

CJ, I found it pretty interesting, too--a luxury I had because nothing was too miserable for too long.

• njr426
    njr426 Member Posts: 53
    Options

CJ - so sorry about your cat. You do need to grieve - I hope it doesn't set you back too much. You've been so positive through all of this. ( i love that you find this experience fascinating!)

njnancy - it really is helpful hearing other people's experiences, isn't it? As annie said, it's like cheating - let's send other people in first and see what happens!

I got my port today - it's a little sore and feels weird when I turn my head, which I expected. I assume that will eventually go away. I'm supposed to try to keep it dry for about 5 days. I can figure out showering for the most part - not sure how to go about washing my hair though! Still don't have a set start date - assuming next week. My doctor said I could start right after getting my port but we asked to wait until next week since my husband would be away for work. I think I will call tomorrow if I don't hear from them. (not that I'm in any hurry, but at the same time I am. Time to get the show on the road!)