Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo April 2016

Options

Comments

• ksusan
    ksusan Member Posts: 461
    Options

Suems, hot lemon water and coconut oil have always worked for me.

• Numb
    Numb Member Posts: 307
    Options

My WBC was 8 yesterday, I was flabbergasted. So Taxol is not bringing it down so far. I have a flushed face today, par for the course, so I am going to have a glass of water every hour and hopefully I won't have a mini crash this time.

Hope you all have a good weekend.

• Numb
    Options

Had the mini crash on Sunday despite drinking the water and exercising. However, it only lasted a day and I was fine yesterday and today. No sign of hair growth, in fact I think it is starting to fall out more.

CJSHARMA - How is your hair, is it still growing ? Did you have any further side effects with the Taxol.

• Numb
    Options

Found this on the net today. Unbelievable, and just after I bought Glutamine. It is going in the bin now.

Cancer cells use two major fuels, they use glucose and they use glutamine. Of the two, glutamine is the more powerful stimulant for cancer cell growth.

The Warburg effect is the fact that normal cells use both anaerobic and aerobic system, the Krebs cycle. The cancer cells only use the anaerobic system, it was thought. Glutamine can work the aerobic system and produce a lot more energy. So if you're eating a lot of sugar and you're eating a lot of glutamine, you're really stimulating your cancer powerfully. So the idea is you want to cut down your glutamine intake. A lot of people are promoting glutamine as a way to heal the gut—the leaky gut syndrome. So, they're saying, take five, six, ten grams of glutamine. That is a powerful stimulant for degenerative brain disorders, a powerful stimulant for cancer growth. You don't want to do that. There's a lot better ways to repair the GI tract—they work better and safer and actually inhibit cancer.

Laboratory studies suggest that glutamine may actually stimulate growth of tumors. More research is needed before researchers can determine whether it is safe to use glutamine if you have cancer. If you are receiving chemotherapy, you should never add supplements to your regimen without consulting your doctor.

• CJSharma
    CJSharma Member Posts: 305
    Options

Numb - I have done a lot of research and having seen that. Glutemine has been so helpful in keeping neuropathy from my hands and feet, and it's highly recommended by many many researchers. Remember - you can't believe everything you read on the web.

• CJSharma
    Options

Another reminder - we have a very active group on Facebook. Please PM me to join the group. All April peeps are invited!

• ksusan
    Options

FWIW, my naturopathic doctor has no problem with me using glutamine. Your body produces glucose and glutamine.

• Numb
    Options

I would be afraid to use glutamine based on what I read, whether it is true now or not.  I must mention it to my Oncologist the next time I see her.

• Positivepower11
    Positivepower11 Member Posts: 81
    Options

Ladies am starting 4 rounds of dose dense AC Monday 27th bi weekly , after 4 THP every 3 weeks, have a few questions for those who have gone through this already.

Nausea seems to be a major side effect- how many days did this last ?, I will be on Emend for 3 days which seems to be a strong preventative medicine. Any thing else anyone has taken after this ? for how long ?  

Apparently also causes constipation, did any of you take anything before hand for the big C ? Names of Anti Nausea and anything that worked for the Constipation would help.

Taste change has been a big issue with the Taxotere  does this happen with the AC?  Did most of you suck on ice/ popsicles during the A?

Which are the toughest days in the cycle ? which was the worst cycle? ( 3rd for most it seems like )

Any other suggestions other than hydrating which I plan to do .

• Positivepower11
    Options

How are eyebrows and lashes doing for most , I've lost some but still have some after the Tax .

• Heathet
    Heathet Member Posts: 117
    Options

postivepower11 - that's good news about your eyebrows. I hope my will last when I start!

• 7of9
    7of9 Member Posts: 474
    Options

positive power...my brows thinned out noticeably after 2nd taxotere but lashes held on pretty good through fourth. Son of a gun tho after 3rd and 4th tax I got a nasty burn mark were the iv was in my hand. Looks like a bad bruise, not sure if this one is going to peel like last one. Nasty. One or two days of neuropathy on right heel, but nails, hands, feet came through beautiful thanks to cooling mits.

Has anyone had pain, not sure if contracture, lymph system, bone :( scary... Near axillary disection site and under breast? Its been hurting when I breath deep since 4-5 days after 4th and final treatment. It does seem a little better by evening and this is about day eleven. I have followup Friday so will mention then

• 1Uniboob1
    1Uniboob1 Member Posts: 23
    Options

Positive Power it may be helpful to go through the early days of this group as lots of us started with AC. Seems that most, definitely not all, kept the nausea at bay with prescribed meds. And most seemed to need a stool softener in their tool kit. 

My question today is regarding taxol. I'm doing paclitaxel and was advised I don't need to ice fingers and toes with it. However if I was getting docetaxel (taxotere) I would need ice. Anyone else hear this? 

• Numb
    Options

1UNIBOOB1 -  No, I never heard anything about icing fingers and toes from my Oncologist, but a lot of women here do it and swear by it.  My theory was always that I would be afraid of icing any part of my body for fear of preventing the chemo from doing its job.  

POSITIVEPOWER -  I got Emend for the 3 days, then I had an anti nausea called Valoid which wasn't cutting it for me so I then got Zofran and that was better.  You just take them as you  need them, for me it was often for 7 days after infusion. I did get constipated and took prunes every day and that helped.  I had no taste change.   I didn't suck on anything for AC, nor did I ice anything.  The toughest days for me were day 5 and 6.   Definitely the 3rd cycle was the worst, so bad that I was hospitalized and the 4th AC was cancelled.  This does not happen to everyone 

• CJSharma
    Options

Uniboob - I ice fingers and toes for Taxol because I've heard too many horror stories about losing sensation long term from some of these drugs. Cancer rarely travels to the extremeties like that, so my MO (who hates cold capping) says it's safe. It has helped a lot. My fingers are no where nearly as stiff as they were the first go around.

7of9 - my MO said that the Taxol/Taxeter drugs interrupt nerves and cause random pains because the synopsis are not firing correctly. It can result in numbness or pain. For me it resulting in my knee buckling while trying to feed the dogs, because my muscles did not get the right signals. So your pain COULD be the result of that, but definitely ask your doctor.

PostivePower - my recommendation is to take the drugs as prescribed. It's a lot, but they are needed. Also keep Doculate (stool softener) and a mild laxative on hand. Start with the Doculate and if it's not doing the job, go to the heavier guns. Days 5-7 tend to be the hardest fatigue-wise. Thinking of you. It's rough regime, but it does what it needs to do. <3

• 1Uniboob1
    Options

CJ - but are you on paclitaxel or taxotere?

• Positivepower11
    Options

Thank you Numb, CJ 7of 9 the input helps. My only prescribed meds for the first two days after chemo are 8 mg of steroids Demex and Emend the first day and then Emend and 4 mg of steroids the day after. Also if recovered anti nausea. I will take the doculate as a preventative and prunes.

Heathet/ 7 0f 9 I believe brows and lashes sometimes fall off after chemo, but I hope that one can avoid it.

• Houston2016
    Houston2016 Member Posts: 248
    Options

Hi ladies, what are your thoughts of seeing the dentist during your chemo treatment? I wonder if it's necessary to let them know about my BC or does that even matter. Also, does any of you experience body aches and chills with Taxol? I don't think I have a fever but was advised to take Tylenol or Ibuprofen. How long would the body aches last? It seemed like it run the whole week course for me. Thanks everybody.

• Heathet
    Heathet Member Posts: 117
    Options

Houston2016 - I think it is important to let your dentist know your diagnosis and thatat you are receiving chemo. From what I understand their are lots of bacteria/germs in our mouths that might put us at a slightly higher risk for infection. I think some dentists may prescribe antibotics as a pre-med just to be on the safe side. I had my teeth cleaned before chemo and that's what my dental hygienist explained. Check with your dentist and MO just to be on the safe side.

• ksusan
    Options

Agreed. I was told to take care of dental business at least a week before starting chemo.

• Pdrchick
    Pdrchick Member Posts: 28
    Options

Definitely talk to your MO first, or at least call the nurse line if you have one. I had a fillimg pop out and my MO wanted me to make sure I went on a day that my WBC counts would be high. I would also inform the dentist, they always ask if anything on my medical history has changed since my last visit. Better safe than sorry, right?!

• CJSharma
    Options

Uniboob - I'm on Taxol - but they are fairly similar in how our bodies react.

• njr426
    njr426 Member Posts: 53
    Options

My 6 month dental check up is scheduled for mid August. (It just happened to work out that I had my check up right before all this started). I was going to tell my MO and RO since I think I'll be doing radiation by that point. I take an antibiotic premed all the time anyway for mitral valve prolapse but I did wonder if there was anything else I need to know before going. I will also tell the dentist when I go.

Day 4 of round 2 of Taxol. Feeling the rubbery legs like last time - CJ I totally get your knee buckling thing. It hasn't happened yet but I always feel on the verge of it happening! I've been very careful on the stairs these days! Hopefully it's only for the 3 days or so that I had it last round. Anyone else on Taxol having taste issues? My doctor said it shouldn't affect my taste but things are pretty bland. It does wear off but it's pretty annoying for about 5 days or so.

• ClarkBlue
    ClarkBlue Member Posts: 30
    Options
    Okay so I'm a total creeper/lurker... but I had to jump in and say whenever you guys type "uniboob" and follow it with some serious comment, I can't help but giggle... That NAME!! It gets me EVERY TIME!! Bahahaha

carry on...

-Keely
  • weRwarriors
    weRwarriors Member Posts: 31
    Options

I was wondering if anyone experienced a really hot head? my mom often complains of tons of heat radiating from her scalp (no fever). She has lost most of her hair but has lot of new growth. She had her 1st taxol on June 22nd 4 Acs previously. This is usually her major complaint. If anyone has experienced this can you please pass on some tips for my mom to be a bit more comfortable?

p.s. These episodes have caused it hard for her to wear her wig or hats for longer periods

• Numb
    Options

Had my 3rd Taxol today and all went well.  Spoke to my Oncologist about Vitamin B6, B12 and Glutamine and she said that there is no conclusive evidence to say that it helps with Neuropathy.  She said if you are taking a well balanced diet you don't need the extra Vitamins.  When I told her about people recommending Glutamine she just said that sometimes women get a placebo effect and think that it is doing them good.  I also mentioned Clarityn while on Neulasta shots and she said it was the same thing, no conclusive evidence that it helps but women can take it and think it is doing them good whereas even if they weren't taking it they would still feel the same. 

My Oncologist does a lot of research and is on a lot of committees who do research so she said she would have  seen reports on these things from time to time but none of them have  been conclusive.  I guess that is enough for for me.

WERWARRIORS -  My head gets hot on and off throughout the day, and sometimes I just pull off my wig and it cools down.  I wear a little cotton cap in bed but more often than not I have to pull it off after about an hour in bed because my head gets too hot.  If you live in a hot country then I would think that the weather has a lot to do with it too. I live in Ireland so your weather would be hotter than ours.  I also think that if your mother is in her mid fifties then she could be getting hot flashes as these are part of the side effects of chemo.  I am in my mid sixties so I am finished with the menopause. 

• CJSharma
    Options

I'm happy that I'm taking it. My oncologist says there is a lot of evidence that it makes a difference. And the research I've done seems to support that. But taking it or not is a totally individual decision. I'm just not willing to risk my hands and feet, so if there is even a slim chance it will work, I'm all for it.

Warrior - my head gets hot, too. Heck my whole body gets hot! But fortunately it's temporary. I know if I wait 5-10 minutes, it will go away. Is it the same for your mom, or is hers longer term?

• Numb
    Options

CJSHARMA - I think if I was having trouble with my fingers and feet and having pains in my bones I would be looking for a remedy too. Thank God I not having any trouble so far except for a mini crash on the 3rd day, which I have been told is down to taking the steroids but as they are dwindled down now every week this will improve. It is wonderful to be on Taxol after AC. You must be getting to the end of your chemo altogether. Sure you are looking forward to this. Best of luck with the surgery and let us know how that goes but if my memory serves me right you are not having this until 15th Aug,so you will have a little break to help you prepare.

• weRwarriors
    weRwarriors Member Posts: 31
    Options

Well, we live in Ontario and right now our summer is starting off pretty humid. I guess maybe they are hot flashes. I can't wait to the day when this is all just a weird memory.

• 1Uniboob1
    Options

Clarkeblue I'm glad my name makes you giggle. I don't regret it as much now.