Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo April 2016

Options

Comments

• Valstim52
    Valstim52 Member Posts: 833
    Options

just chiming in from the january 2016 thread. I took b12 and b6 at mo's suggestion, would not know where i would have been with neuropathy if i had not done so. Same with icing. So many of my January sisters now have neuropathy issues from Taxol. remember it's cumulative. I'm 8 weeks pfc. Sometimes it can take a while for it to show up.

• Houston2016
    Houston2016 Member Posts: 248
    Options

it seemed like many people experience with numbing in their hands and feet. What about muscles and body aches? Has anyone experience this? I heard of glutamine but what are other remedies to help. This is my second week with taxol and the body aches kept coming back on third and fourth day and lessened but linger on. If this continues I don't have any quality of life with Taxol. Any suggestions?

• Numb
    Numb Member Posts: 307
    Options

VALSTIM52 - That's just it, you don't know how you would have fared out had you not taken B6 and B12. These are just vitamins that can be obtained from a good diet. It is wonderful that you are now finished your treatment and have no neuropathy. Not everyone gets it.

HOUSTON2016 - I had a slight ache behind my knee the first week on Taxol and another slight ache on my hip, but haven't had that since, thank God. Maybe go back and ask your Oncologist what you can take for this.

• Playa
    Playa Member Posts: 3
    Options

Hi! I have been following this board since April when I started AC + T and I really wanted to thank you all because you have been my companions and your comments and suggestions have helped me so much. I am now done with my 2nd Dose Dense Taxol (today!) so 2 more to go and I am done with this awful part of the process. AC was bad. Details to come later for everyone's benefit. Taxol incredibly better, at least first round. Neulasta side effects -really strong bone pain-from day 2 early evening approximately 4 hours after Neulasta shot. Got by through days 3-5 with Claritin and Advil. MO prescribed Tylenol with Codeine in case it is bad again. Iced hands and feet just like last time and will take Glutamine and B Complex like last time when I did not get neuropathy. Hoping for the same this time around! Got a little constipated due to pain meds but managed it with Colace (1 in the am, 2 in the pm and Miralax once a day.

• Playa
    Options

I wanted also to know if I can join the Facebook group and what are the instructions if possible. Thanks so much!

• Playa
    Options

I added my diagnostic and treatments so far. I will have surgery in August/September, then radiation, histerectomy, and then reconstruction surgery and then appropriate hormonal therapy. I don't know what to do so it shows. Thanks

• Positivepower11
    Positivepower11 Member Posts: 81
    Options

Hello ladies day 2 of Ac , so far so good, but completely exhausted and ready to sleep most of the day. This, while I am still on steroids, wonder what day 3-5 will bring. Last steroid dose tomorrow morning. Luckily no nausea due to Emend and /Magic bracelet and ginger.

• CJSharma
    CJSharma Member Posts: 305
    Options

Playa - to be added - simply send me your email address (the one you used for Facebook) in the private message, and I will add you to the group. Sorry for the delay in response.

• njr426
    njr426 Member Posts: 53
    Options

Going back to the dentist thing. I asked my doctor about it yesterday. My six month cleaning/check up is scheduled for mid August. She said to delay it until 6-8 weeks after final chemo just to give your body and blood cells a chance to build back up again.

3rd round of (dose dense) Taxol next Tuesday. This round I just had wobbly legs for a couple of days (same exact days I had it first round - like days 4-5). Other than that just random twinges. I did have hip, leg and feet aches the first round. My doctor said something about taking Claritin - like with the Neulasta. I took it for 4 days (only did 2 for Neulasta and never had any problems) and while I did have noodle legs, I didn't have any persistant aches and pains, just twinges every now and then.

• bagger
    bagger Member Posts: 36
    Options

Finished my week of recovery after Round 5 of Taxotere/Carboplatin. This time I used Smooth Move tea (active ingredient is senna leaves- same as Senakot) on evening after infusion. Boy did I feel better after that and no fainting in the night after the steroids wore off. I used to let it go, but not anymore. I'll follow this plan again for Round 6 and hope it is also uneventful.

• Numb
    Options

Seemingly we are all doing well lately with nobody looking for tips.   I am going for week 5 of Taxol tomorrow and so far so good.  I did have crashes on the 3rd day for the first 2 rounds but nothing for the last two, thank God.  The Taxol is just so much easier by far. 

I do feel aches from time to time in my left breast, not the effected one, and my port is on this side too, just wondering is there anyone else with a port who gets aches on that side.  Sure hope I don't have anything sinister going on in this breast.  The aches are not there all the time, but at least once a day.  I also get aches in the scar on the effected breast, but that's understandable.

Hope everyone continues to do well on their chemo. 

• Zoziana
    Zoziana Member Posts: 102
    Options

Hi all- following you all and glad most are doing very well!

I've had a bit of a rough time of it, but am coming near to the end of the Taxol/Herceptin combo (just tomorrow and then one more week of treatment after that!) My struggles are documented around the cite, so you can always search my posts by name if you are interested....But mainly, I am happy to be improving a bit and able to walk around! Not having to use the wheelchair is huge! Can't wait to get out and about and walking and hiking in only a few more weeks--probably 2-3 post final Taxol, so I'm guessing Aug1-8 is my sweet spot! I hope!

Numb: Just wanted to say thank you for originally starting this group; it was friendly and supportive and was what got me interested in working through this bc.org site and learning more. And, yes, I have gotten pain on and off from my scars from the breast surgery (the pains are less frequent as time goes on) and some port pain too, especially on near days when it is accessed and used. And sometimes just randomly. But it goes away. I think it is normal. It is a foreign body poking us inside--we are bound to feel it as discomfort at times. If it persists, you could ask your doctor, and obviously, if there are any signs of infection, that should be reported right away.

• Katjadvm
    Katjadvm Member Posts: 117
    Options

Numb: I have had intermittent pain in my noncancerous breast that is also on my port side. I became so paranoid that I had an ultrasound to make sure no overt abnormalities. None noted. Once I calmed down, the pain went away. Stress can have a huge impact on how I feel. Now that I am getting used to the chemogame, I seem to be feeling better.

• Numb
    Options

ZOZIANA  - Sorry to hear you had a hard time and glad to see you are improving.   Yes, getting back to normal would be my goal too, can't wait.  We were all here for one another and it was great at the start of our journey when we were all worried and tense about what lay ahead.  Once the treatment started and I could see that I could get through this I calmed down a lot. Sharing our worries was a great help and when someone came back and said they experienced the same problem it was a huge relief to me to know that I was experiencing something that was quite common with the treatment.

KATJADVM - you are posting exacting what I was feeling and you had the same worries, that is just amazing.  Thank you for posting this.  I had a Dr. look at my left breast this morning and he gave me a great explanation for the cause of this ache I have in it from time to time.  He said that when you get a lumpectomy a lump is taken out of your infected breast and so this leaves it lighter than the other breast and so your other breast then has to learn how to hang evenly with the breast that has had the lumpectomy and thus you will get some pain until it adjusts.  I thought this was a brilliant explanation, and it would never have crossed my mind.  He also said that as nothing showed up in my left breast on the mammogram and that as the Surgeon had examined it and found nothing either, then he was quite satisfied there is nothing there.  He also examined me and said he could feel nothing abnormal.  So my mind is now at rest.

I was also speaking to my Radiographer who went through my radiotherapy programme, which will commence 3 weeks after the last Taxol.  I was anticipating a 4 week break, so sooner the better.  I was also thinking that I would have to have 5/6 weeks of radiation as I have not been that lucky so far, but he said I would be having 3 weeks radiation.  I couldn't believe it.  So it was a good day today all around.

• VSB2015
    VSB2015 Member Posts: 20
    Options

I am now three weeks past my last chemo of Cytoxin and Taxotere. My ankles have been swollen the last two weeks. I did read it can be a side effect of Taxotere but haven't seen anyone else mention it. Has anyone else had swelling and how long does it last?

• Numb
    Options

VSB2015 - I have had swollen ankles since week 4 of Taxol but not so swollen that you would notice, just I noticed it myself.  It goes away after a night in bed with my feet raised on two pillows, but it comes back after my feet have been on the ground for a long time.  It is not painful and gives me no trouble, but I wondered about it too.

• VSB2015
    VSB2015 Member Posts: 20
    Options

After looking around a bit I found other women complaining of it, I'll call onc and maybe get diuretic. Like you said it goes away over night but by the end of the day it's swollen again.

• Positivepower11
    Options

Hi VSB : I did not have this side effect but have heard it is quite common. Done with the Thp part of my chemo and now hoping to finish the AC in the next month or so.

Numb its great you only have 3 weeks of radiation , I will meet a RO soon for consultation and will know the status. Need to get a Mamo and MRI done again now and am just wondering... brings back some memories

We have become a much quieter group, how is everyone feeling , have all the  chemo rounds and cumulative impact been tough. The end is in sight soon I imagine and I for one am really looking forward to getting this phase done and dusted.

• Numb
    Options

POSITIVEPOWER - Best of luck with the AC.  You are probably finding the AC harder than the rest but at least you are nearly finished and that is great. 

I feel we have become a much quieter group because people have settled down with their treatment and most of us don't have the same worries as we had at the start and don't have the need to post much.  Some have joined Facebook and it is probably too much trouble to post in both.  It would  be nice to see how others are getting on on their last lap though, and I look forward to the day when we all come back and say we are a year out with NED.

• njr426
    njr426 Member Posts: 53
    Options

Numb - That's great that you only have 3 weeks radiation! I'm expecting 6 weeks - nothing official yet, but that's what was generally talked about before starting treatment.

I had my 3rd (out of 4) dose dense Taxol on Tuesday. So far the main issue I've had with the Taxol has been weak legs about days 4-5. Still had it this round much to a much lesser extent. That and just random twinges (mostly in my knees but other places as well). The last 2 rounds though, I've had a lower back ache that lasts about 2 minutes about 10 minutes into the infusion. My doctor was concerned it could be an allergic reaction but it went away by itself so I guess it's a mystery. She adjusted my Benadryl this past round and while I still had that ache, it wasn't as bad or last that long. My biggest thing this time around wasn't even related to the Taxol. I had horrible menstrual cramps over the weekend. It's rather frustrating since I know nothing will come from it - this will be the second month that I don't have an actual period, just all the symptoms! My last round will be July 18th. My husband left today for 2 weeks for work training so he will not be here for my last round - my daughter will go with me. We just have to delay our end of chemo celebration! I'm assuming I'll meet again with my radiologist around that time to get a more concrete schedule for radiation. Nothing really happening on the hair front. I have a head full of stubble that I'm trying to convince myself is longer, but if it is, it's microscopic! My lower eyelashes are pretty much gone but the uppers and the eyebrows are mostly intact. (Upper lashes might be thinning out - they were pretty skimpy to begin with so it's hard to tell!)

• Numb
    Options

NJR426 -  I also thought I would be having 6 weeks of radiation because my Surgeon  had mentioned 5 weeks and I know 2 women who had a lesser breast cancer than I had who had 4.5 weeks radiation, so I was more than surprised when I was told I was only getting 3 weeks.  On the way out of the hospital on Fri I met my Oncologist and told her about the 3 weeks radiation and she agreed that was the plan for me.  So you might be surprised too. 

I am having 12 weekly Taxols so I can't compare myself with dose dense.  I believe that if you have any aches and pains before Taxol that Taxol exacerbates them.  So menstrual cramps would be all part and parcel of aches and pains.   I have been lucky so far that I have had no significant aches.   That's great that you are close to the end of your treatment.  My eyelashes are getting very sparse, and like you I have a miniscule stublle on my head and I keep looking at it wondering if it has grown any, but it hasn't.   Best of luck with the last round. 

• Houston2016
    Options

I'm having 12 weekly Taxol as part of my Neoadjuvant chemo. Besides the body aches on the third and fourth day after, I actually have more energy than with four doses of AC. Anyway I want to ask all adjuvant and neoadjuvant ladies My OC ordered the LB ultrasound to see how my tumor progressed after fourth dose of AC. The result was slightly smaller although I physically examined myself and it went down from 6cm to 4cm. This leaves me wonder if the AC did not shrink the tumor much then would this cause the BC to prokiferate? Now I met with OC yesterday she said I should do a PET scan after 8 weeks of Taxol to see how my tumor responded. Physically we both feel my breast and the tumor shrunk even more thus far with Taxol. But is there a possibility that a person could get stage 4 while undergoing Neoadjuvant chemo when the tumor has lower response to treatment? Is there other tests they can do besides PET scan to detect metastatic? I'm just basically worried out of woodwork but I don't have any symptoms of stage 4 at this point. Thanks for any ideas or suggestions.

• weRwarriors
    weRwarriors Member Posts: 31
    Options

Houston2016

I worry about this too with my mom :( she is undergoing neoadjacent chemo as well. her tumor started off quite large (she put it off because of work stress and everything else). The Oncologist has been very happy with her progress when he sees her for her bi-weekly check-ins.. she had a great response from the AC... from what they've measured it's shrunk by approximately half and the skin involvement is much better. Unfortunately, she still has a decent size mass there so the surgeon is hopeful to see how it responds with the Taxol and Herceptin. When we meet with the surgeon again, I'm going to come with a list of questions, more specifically I'm going to ask if they plan on scheduling her for a CT/PET scan before any surgery plans are set in stone. I'm praying that taxol does its job so surgery is uncomplicated and successful.

Today maybe is just one of those days but I'm trying to stay optimistic and know God is control but it does get to you from time to time... the family with those affected with breast cancer are fighting a whole different battle. I see my mom's strength and her energy but some days you really still can't believe this is the new reality.

I'd like to end this post on a positive note: I've stopped researching and reading things online... and I focus more of the positive stories and inspiring people/survivors we continue to meet at the cancer center... people thriving, beating multiple cancers and just continuing on with a positive outlook and a smile. Kudos to everyone

ThumbsUp

• Numb
    Options

HOUSTON - I just think that we all go through terrible anxiety with this cancer thing, and this is where you are at now, thinking the worst case scenario.   It is highly unlikely that your cancer will progress to stage 4 while having chemo that is working, even though you might think it is not doing enough.  You are only half way through, so there is every chance that your tumour will shrink another 2 cm before you are finished, so don't meet trouble half way.  Your MO doesn't seem to be worried so take your cue from her.

WERWARRIORS - I think you are right to stop reading negative stuff about breast cancer.  I have too.  I am at a stage where I just see success in front of me and this keeps me going.

• suems
    suems Member Posts: 79
    Options

Good news! I'm stable, for the first time in a year and a half! As you can see from my SIG, the hormone treatments didn't work, and I finally went on chemo in April. I had a CT a month before then, which showed my liver met getting worse, along with new bone mets. The CT after 3 rounds of chemo showed my bone lesions had all either stopped or shrunk. but the liver one appeared to be getting larger

I had another CT this week after Round 5, and I just got the news that the liver tumor has stopped growing! Yay!

Stable is a great improvement on progression. Admittedly, it was only 6 weeks since the last CT, but at this point I'll take all the good news I can get.

I have the last round of chemo on the 25th, and have no idea what will come next. More chemo? Wait-and-see? I'll let you know when I find out.

Sue from NZ

• Numb
    Options

SUEMS - that is great news.  Please God all will work out for you.  Best of luck and let us know how you get on.

• bagger
    bagger Member Posts: 36
    Options

Suems - Hooray for that! I'm so glad you've gotten some good news. Let's hope it gets even better from here.

• Positivepower11
    Options

Suems , really pleased -that's great news. God is with you and praying for even better for you.

• wellshoot
    wellshoot Member Posts: 21
    Options

she's- so glad to hear about the good news.!

• Houston2016
    Options

Thanks ladies for responding. I spoke to second OC from MD Anderson Wed after met with my OC Tuesday. Second OC said I'm on a very good regimen now (AC+Taxol) for my dx and health. She said she normally don't do a PET scan for her patients and that I had done CT scan in April prior to chemo and result was clear. Then she said just proceed with treatment. Second OC also said neoadjuvant chemo does not cause tumor to grow even if tumor stays the same. She let me talk also with a BS who happens to be available. BS explained to me about my biopsy she said radiation would be needed only if I have a large tumor to start with (even when it shrinks later to nothing), and/or there are residual cancer cells (not clean pathology report). I'm so glad I got the second opinion. The Dr. Seem to be very informative and wants me to know stuff!

So maybe I was thinking too far ahead (probably from reading about stuff about recurrence) but like I know Taxol cause joint muscle pain. Today while doing chemo , my left hip feels a little ache right where the panty bone is, don't know if any of you ladies have experience that. Then it goes away so things like that caused me to wonder. I rather not do the PET scan unless it's necessary. My first OC said she wants to examine the tumor progress after 8 weeks of taxol. The BS said she would do the full breast ultrasound and mammogram but PET scan is not needed for surgery. Wonder why my OC does not mention the full breast ultrasound instead. Hmmm.

Werwarrior - I agreed with you we need to focus more on the positive vibes from our success stories. That keeps us in good spirits and motivation. Kudos to everyone!