Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo April 2016

Options

Comments

• Positivepower11
    Positivepower11 Member Posts: 81
    Options

Hello Ladies,

So far 4/4 THP going fine touch wood aside for some extra rest required.

Bagger : Sorry to hear about the black out, is scary do make sure your MO answers all the questions and prescribes the required tests.

Heathet and Annie : Many thanks for your good wishes, unfortunately my next chemo is now on 27th th due to a scheduling issue and my MO wants a gap between Herceptin and AC for a few days. This was twice agreed so am a little annoyed that it gets delay  but safety over speed.

Cody Mix - wow , good luck for last infusion cant wait to reach the same point myself am sure it will go well.

Suems - so sorry to hear about all the errors they are making in your case. I hope the rest of the treatment goes well.

CJ good luck for tomorrow, two more then to wiz by and atleast the end is in sight.

Hope all of you have a good week.

• limnogal
    limnogal Member Posts: 100
    Options

Cody_mx-congratulations! I did my last TC infusion yesterday. Sooo glad that is done! Now to get through the next 5-10 days...

Here's to minimal side effects for all

• Desiwyatt123
    Desiwyatt123 Member Posts: 4
    Options

Hurray for that last TC treatment, I know you are happy to be done! I have one more and I will sigh a breath of relief. Best wishes to you!

• Desiwyatt123
    Desiwyatt123 Member Posts: 4
    Options

Congrats on your last chemo round! This is a HUGE! You did this and you demonstrated that you are indeed a phenomenal woman that can weather any storm. Congrats again to you!

• cody_mx
    cody_mx Member Posts: 57
    Options

thank you everyone! and as we say here in mexico: pronto contigo! soon also for you!

• CJSharma
    CJSharma Member Posts: 305
    Options

Round 2 of Taxol today. After today, I'm half way through with this drug, too. It's going fast.

Hello everyone!!

• Heathet
    Heathet Member Posts: 117
    Options

I was scheduled to start chemo today but my PS wanted it delayed until next week. I know he wants to make sure everything has healed from my BMX but the longer I wait the more my emotions are getting to me. I've been pretty emotional over the last few days, lots of crying. My anxiety is pretty high and even my Xanax doesn't seem to help. I hate feeling this way - I feel like I'm living in this alternative time zone where everything seems to move so slow. I just want to get back into a positive mind set. Cancer sucks

• Numb
    Numb Member Posts: 307
    Options

KATJADVM - I understand what you are saying about your heart pressure and I can see that it would make sense, but my heart pressure didn't come from the Neulasta shot, as I had this pressure after my first chemo and I had no Neulasta shot and I didn't have a pain in my Sternum, it was pressure on my heart. AC chemo is not great for the heart but the side effects are said to be temporary while you are having it and I am so hoping that this is right.

CODY - that is a great achievement, congrats on your last chemo. The fact that it is your last will see you through this and it may not be as bad as the previous one.

CJSHARMA - Hope your second Taxol is as good as your first. I am having weekly Taxol and it would be a lighter version of yours. I got my port in this morning, and it was a breeze, I had myself worked up over nothing. Then I had my first Taxol, it only took an hour. I feel so much better after this than when I would come home after an AC. I had 20mg of Dexamethasone last night and will have 10mg before the next one, then 4mg, then 2 mg and then no steroids for the rest of it, so that's a plus.

BAGGER - glad you are getting sorted and hoping for better results for you next infusion. You are so right to consult with hour Onc before the next one.

HEATHET - I understand how you feel. The waiting for the next step is the worst thing as it just causes more anxiety. All this treatment is so long drawn out, it would annoy anyone. You will start to feel so much better when you start the chemo and then start ticking off the treatments until you are finished.

• njr426
    njr426 Member Posts: 53
    Options

I had my first Taxol on Monday. I'm doing dose dense so it will be every 2 weeks. We were there about 5 1/2 hrs. I've had some aching in my legs and hips but that's been about it. I was reading the comments about Taxol and steroids and Neulasta. I take 2 4mg steroid the night before and I also get them in my premed. I am still doing the Neulasta also but since I'm going every 2 weeks, I'm not sure about if you're going weekly.

Cody - Congrats on your last chemo.

Numb - Glad your port placement went well - I know you were anxious about it.

• Numb
    Options

NJR426 - I had my Taxol in my private room in the hospital this morning so it was a lot more comfortable and well organized. I had a drip of anti-nausea, more steroids and a drug like benadryl but it was called something else. That took about half an hour but the actual Taxol chemo took an hour. My AC chemo used to take 45 mins, but I would be in the Day Oncology ward for about 3 - 4 hours. My guess is that when I go back to the Day Oncology ward next Friday for the 2nd round it will take longer, because I will have to have bloods done, which I didn't have to have done today because they were done yesterday when I arrived at the hospital. So you get your bloods done in the Oncology ward and have to wait for about half an hour for the result. Then they order your chemo and it could take an hour of hanging around for that to be ready and I didn't have to wait for that today either as they ordered it while I was getting my port and it was all ready. Then you chat to the nurse about how you got over the last round etc. So then you have your premeds drip, another half hour and then you get your chemo - an hour, so next time I go the visit will take about 3 hours. Also I am getting my does of Taxol weekly so my understanding of this is that you don't get the same amount as you do on dose dense every 2 weeks, so that could add to how log it takes too.

I feel good now but I am expecting some kind of a side effect as the days go on. I didn't have any aches or pains before I got the chemo, so I think this plays a part in how Taxol affects you if you do. I could be wrong there but from reading about others who do get aches and pains they seem to either have arthritis before they start or some other condition that causes aches and pains and I think that Taxol exacerbates any aches and pains you already had.

So you are on a lot lower dose of steroids. I had to take 20 mg last night. I was almost afraid to take them in case I wouldn't be able to sleep, but I was fine. I think I had another 20mg this morning in my premeds for the Taxol, but I don't take any more until the night before my next chemo. I can't take the Neulasta drug on account of having Taxol on a weekly basis so if my white cells go down my chemo could be delayed until they go up again and I don't think there is anything I can do about it. The answer I got when I asked this question this morning was "Taxol doesn't lower your white cells as much as the AC does, but you may have to skip a week until your bloods go back up again if that happens". I was a bit disappointed about that as I want to be finished with this Taxol asap.

• 7of9
    7of9 Member Posts: 474
    Options

Last Taxotere! Hoping the side effects and neulasta are easier than round 3. Just knowing I'm done is a relief. Just a little worried about some fluid retention that seems to almost resolve before each treatment. Nurse practitioner said we can do a CAT scan to double check in a month if still swollen (under arm and on neck where I had radiation this spring. But if it is all clear again (was in January minus nodes they took out in ALND) I will be soooooo relieved. Xgeva ? Bone infusion scheduled for July (to prevent bone loss as I'm now on AIs and my doctor is getting rejected by insurance for most Zometa requests...as holes). Good luck everyone wrapping up!

• Houston2016
    Houston2016 Member Posts: 248
    Options

kadjdvm- I took claritin for four days but honestly, this 4th AC really bothers me around the chest area, not just chest pressure but also sensation from the left side chest bone and sometimes underneath the breast bone. My OC referred me to have another Eco-Dopp test next Friday. IDK, every round has different symptoms to me and this time is worse.

• CJSharma
    Options

7of9 - LOVE the photo!! You two are adorable! :)

Numb - I get dry with Taxol. VERY dry. So I keep lotion in every room and I drink a ton of water. Making my 100oz is a breeze the first few days. I do 10mg steroids the day of, and no anti-nausea as Taxol is a 2 on a nausea scale, according to my MO - AC is a 10. Good luck.

• 7of9
    7of9 Member Posts: 474
    Options

Houston....are you getting neulasta? I have heard that our sternum bone makes a lot of cells and the neulasta can trigger pain there. I know I had some pain there on a off within a week of treatment and nuelasta....thought I was having a heart attack. It abated by day 7. Was less severe after the next round.

• cody_mx
    cody_mx Member Posts: 57
    Options

congrsats 7of9!

I too had my last one today, pretty emotional day, we dont have the bell tradition here, but all the nurses came by to give me a hug and the hospital gave me as a gift a scarf that was made by the hospital volunteers for all the chemo graduates. Im feeling pretty good so far, a bit bloated and tired, and really hoping ths last round is milder than #3

And after this its tamoxifen and the reconstruction surgery and the just life :)

Thank you everyone for your encouragement

• Numb
    Options

7 OF 9 - What a fabulous photo, you make a lovely couple. Best of luck for the future.

HOUSTON2016 - Thank God I didn't get the 4th AC so. I definitely seem to have had the same heart pressure as you are having. It was never a pain in my sternum, but pressure on my heart when I stood up and this sensation went down my left arm and the side of my hand was cold. It went away after a week though It only started for me on about day 5/6. Hoping this goes away for both of us on Taxol.

CJSHARMA - So far I didn't feel the dry sensation yet, but then I am on a lesser weekly dose than you are. I will drink the water though. Have a red face today, but not surprising with all those steroids. No steroids today though and am not weaning off them as weaning off them made no difference the last time. I was very tired yesterday after getting sedation for the port and then a Benadryl type injection that made me drowsy. I guess as this Taxol is cumulative I won't get away Scott free over the weeks.

CODY - Thrilled for you, can't wait for the last round myself. I envy you.

• Houston2016
    Options

7of9- yes I have Neulasta with every AC round. But the first 3 rounds I had some chest pressure and left side of abdomen. Fourth time is where it hurts more on the chest area. I just hope it is Neulasta like everyone is telling me. Congrats on finishing your chemo!

CJ- I just noticed on your bio that you also had Neoadjuvant chemo Cocktail. Just wondered why you decided on the MX rather than lumpx. I was told the chemo prepared me for lumpectomy. Good night everyone.

• Numb
    Options

Natural Ways to Boost WBC

Though there are medications available to increase WBC that may be necessary in severe cases, there are also a number of natural methods you can use. They include the following.

1. Take zinc. You probably already know that zinc is helpful when you first feel the symptoms of a cold coming on. A known immune booster, zinc is linked with the production of white blood cells. Studies have shown that even a mild zinc deficiency can increase risk of infection. The American Cancer Society also notes that some studies have shown zinc levels in blood and/or inside white blood cells were often lower in patients with head and neck cancer or childhood leukemia. Consume more oysters, beef, lamb, wheat germ, and spinach.
    2. Take folic acid. The body needs folic acid to make white blood cells. In fact, one of the side effects of excess intake of folic acid is an increase in WBCs. A deficiency of folic acid can also lead to anemia, which is a low level of red blood cells. So if you're low on either, increasing intake of folic acid may help. Eat more spinach, beans, and citrus fruits.
    3. Take selenium. The University of Maryland Medical Center states that selenium can help build up white blood cells. Some studies also indicate that selenium may help prevent some infections. Another study indicated that when the elderly take both zinc and selenium supplements, their immune systems responded better to the flu vaccine than those who took placebo.
    4. Eat more yogurt. Some studies have shown that people taking probiotics had stronger immune systems than those who didn't take them. The probiotics also seemed to boost the WBC. A study conducted by German researchers and published in the Clinical Nutrition recruited nearly 500 healthy adults aged 18 to 67. All were given supplements, but only half received probiotic supplements. Over three months, those given the probiotics suffered fewer colds. In addition, a subgroup of over 100 participants who had their blood count measured showed higher white blood cell counts, indicating a stronger immune system.
    5. Add in the garlic. A 2002 animal study found that rats fed garlic showed a significant increase in total white blood cell count. It also seems to promote the ability of white blood cells to fight off infections, and also stimulates other immune cells
    6. Good quality protein is important for cancer patients to include in their diet, because our bodies need the building blocks (amino acids) from the protein we eat to make the new WBCs.
  • Houston2016
    Options

Thank you Numb for the good information. I was wondering what to eat during my Taxol coming up because I won't get Neulasta. In a way I will be happy without it. I always think it's good when you get it the natural way. I've been eating garlic everyday already but I need to have yogurt for calcium. I've been struggling with getting protein although my protein level is good. I eat tofu and fish and I read that salmon and sardines herring are good sources but the smells...I'm not thrilled about meat neither. The problem also my OC doesn't want me to take any vitamins except D cause of my liver enzymes. But I will ask her about resume taking C,E,Calcium, and Selenium during Taxol. I read that the Turmeric supplement also enhanced the effectiveness of Taxol. Has anyone have good or others reaction with any supplements during Taxol? Thank you for all your kind responses.

• CJSharma
    Options

Houston - I originally planned on having a lumpectomy, but my tumor was big - 5.4cm, and while it has dissipated a lot (it's no longer the big mass) - it still takes up a lot of area. I also have dense breasts, so after much thought and debate (and talking to many people!) I decided that a BMX (Bi-lateral - they'll take both) was the best bet for me. The thought of having mammos aver six month also got me - not because of the mammo, but because as I have had breast cancer, they will be very thorough, and most likely will find something that needs further investigation and I really don't want to go through that panic. That's why. :) Plus, the tumor was large, so likely they would have wanted to shrink it before anything else to make sure they can get it all.

Numb - thanks for the info! My insurance only approved 6 shots, so I think after today, I'm free of those as well. It should be interesting to see the effect.

I also found a link to Dr. Greger's Foods you should eat daily. This is the doctor who does Nutritionfacts.org (the site Susan recommended). I'm not sold on a vegan diet, but I do believe that adding more fruits, veggies, and whole grains to our diet is a wonderful thing, and meat should be limited to once a day at most. I am also a big fan of yogurt, especially during chemo as chemo destroys the healthy gut bacteria and a good organic yogurt (I use Stonyfield at the recommendation of my researcher friend) helps replace it.

Also wanted to check in Round 2 Day 2 of Taxol - my hands are better so far, but I've been keeping lotion very close and I did a better job at icing my hands and feet yesterday. I feel very normal, which I love. I mean, my hands are a little stiff, but that I can handle.

• forher23
    forher23 Member Posts: 3
    Options

Hello everyone, sorry for the inconsistent posting. I've been having a hard time trying to do anything or wanting to since my moms cancer came back. Here's a small update: My moms wbc shot up extremely high after her first chemo, but after her third chemo on Friday, she went in for a follow up yesterday and she had to be admitted as her wbc is extremely low. She told me she is in isolation (sorry if I'm saying that incorrectly) and I couldn't find any information online on wbc shooting up really high and then being really low. This is just my assumption but I am concerned that maybe her wbc shot up really high after the first one because the chemo concoction she was on isn't right for her body. Has anyone experienced this?

• CJSharma
    Options

Hey DofMY - The thing to remember is that chemo is cumulative so it makes sense that her white blood cells were up the first round and are now starting to not recover as quickly. I would say the fact that her blood cells are low, means that the chemo is doing precisely what its supposed to do. That being said, I would ask her octor or your chemo nurse about that. They would have a lot more information and know your mom's specific cancer better than any of us. Isolation makes sense as she is very suspectible to getting ill, so keeping her away from everyone will allow her to recover without danger. It sucks, especially if she's a social person, but it's a good thing.

• Houston2016
    Options

I know we've been talking mostly about SE from chemo but I like to mention about the physical change and appearance. Now we all know that chemo cause us to lose our hair, which is bad enough. Does anyone also experience with jaundice and discoloration of nails and toes. I see my facial complexion has the yellowish tone since chemo started. Recently I noticed that dark brown color on my toe and fingernail too. For those who have this would you know if these changes go away after treatment? Or permanent? Thanks ladies for your inputs.

• limnogal
    Options

Houston- I haven't noticed a yellowing of my skin, but my nails are definitely discolored and peeling. I have been using a nail/cuticle conditioner, keeping my nails short and polished, but...ugh!

• Katjadvm
    Katjadvm Member Posts: 117
    Options

Houston2016: no complexion changes, except better skin (no breakouts). Nails just started to get dark pink discoloration while on Taxol.

Second weekly Taxol today. Iv Benadryl knocks me out.

First weekly Taxol side effects: tingling in hands and forearms lasted for 24 hours. three days later tingling in feet. Each episode was followed by very bruised feeling to tips of fingers and toes. Nasal congestion that resulted in a nose bleed on day 7. Minimal nausea to speak of. Lymph nodes or potentially mass in the opposite breast of my primary tumor discovered three days ago. Having ultrasound next week to see WTF.

Hope everyone is well. FUCancer.

• CJSharma
    Options

Kat - oh man! I'm so sorry to hear that. Hope it's nothing. Thinking of you! FU Cancer is right!

Houston - Jaundice is usually related to the liver. Are your liver counts high? I would have that looked into. My skin looked fantastic on AC.

Evidently my white blood counts are too high, so they are pulling my off of Nuelasta. I am perfectly fine with that - but it would have been nice to know before I drove 20 miles during rush hour (took me a round trip of 60 minutes) to get it.

• limnogal
    Options

Kat-WTF indeed! Sending positive thoughts your way

• Numb
    Options

Day 3 and no problem with first Taxol so far.

CJSHARMA - I think you made a good decision to get a BMX, I wish I had the courage to get rid of both breasts as I would feel such a relief to be finished with breasts and all their problems.

What 6 shots did your insurance approve of ?

Glad to hear that round 2 Taxol is good for you too.My God that's a new one, your white cells are too high, you must be doing something right.SillyHeart

DAUGHTER OF MRS Y - Don't panic, low white cells count is a very common thing while on chemo and if they are very low isolation is normal until they come up again, usually in a few days. I would not say there is anything wrong with the chemo she is getting, but everyone reacts differently.

KATJADVM - so sorry to hear you have another worry now, Hope all of this turns out well for you.

• CJSharma
    Options

Numb - Glad you are not having issues with Taxol so far! I'm a little achey today, but that's probably because I didn't sleep too well last night. It happens. As for the BMX - why not just do it? I'm very happy with my decision. I know it's the right one to remove both. I don't know if you can change your mind now, but I think we can here in the States. I was getting the Nuelasta shots. Evidently they are very potent. :)

Houston - I was just thinking - are you jaundice or just a bit sallow - I could see being sallow just from the arduousness of the chemo regime. I hope I didn't alarm you. But if your eyes have a yellow tinge - that is definitely a liver thing.

• Houston2016
    Options

CJ - No actually my liver function is normal. I know what you mean (about the eyes) but what is see just complexion from lighter to less than light but my husband said he sees no different. Also my freckles are more visible. One thing I want to mention is I'm Asian so I may not have exactly pale complexion to begin with. Lol.