Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

For Arimidex/Anastrozole new, past, and ongoing New

Options

Comments

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    Options

Actually, my skin is in great shape! Go figure.... Without teenage hormones, wouldn't we be in better shape anyway face-wise? Nerdy

• cb123
    cb123 Member Posts: 80
    Options

Barbe,

You're probably right. I'm constantly reminding myself that this is anti-hormonal treatment.

Big congrats on finishing up the rads. I haven't even started mine yet. You must be thrilled to have that behind you.

cb

• barbe1958
    Options

Thrilled doesn't even begin to explain it!!! I'm burnt pretty bad as they had to use a bolus (which draws the radiation from going to deep and brings a lot back to the skin) as I don't have any breasts for a buffer. I had to get zapped right over my heart and lung. Devil

• cb123
    Options

Barbe,

That sounds horrid. I'm so glad it's over for you and now you can have some time to heal. Heart

cb

• barbe1958
    Options

...and I'm supposed to get WORSE before it gets better!!!!

• Duzy
    Duzy Member Posts: 65
    Options

cb123 we are all here with you. I am one month in and so far so good. The only side effect was weight gain so I have to get control of that about 6 pounds. Just need more exercise

Good luck

• jnu3
    jnu3 Member Posts: 56
    Options

My first MO/RO appointment after completion of radiation and start of Anastrozole. Blood work was good; no complaints from Anastrozole other than the dreaded hot flashes (those things that I was sure were over with). RO said he is available if needed otherwise no follow-ups. MO said all was great and to see him in six months. Having the follow up mamo this month which is six months after surgery.

I feel very blessed.

• barbe1958
    Options

I'm not getting hot flashes on Arimidex, go figure....

• jnu3
    Options

Barbe - Oh, I wish I wasn't. Maybe it will be one of those things that dissipates as time goes on and I settle into the natural flow of the medication. I guess that it's journey on.......

• cb123
    Options

Hi Duzy,

Not that I ever want to gain weight but my appetite hasn't been the same since the DMX. I used to eat several times a day now I have to wonder if I remembered to eat today.

The Arimidex was a lot easier to take today after I had no immediate adverse affects yesterday. Basically, I didn't die yesterday so I took it again today.

I hope you all have a GREAT day!

cb

• barbe1958
    Options

Good for you cb123! LOL

I'm wondering if I don't get hot flashes as I had a hysterectomy about 10 years ago. I seriously can't remember when it was....my memory is gone, too. Anyone else?? Of course, I do still get too warm, I'm sitting here in my office with a floor fan on me..hehehehe but that's nothing new.

• TNNurse
    TNNurse Member Posts: 39
    Options

I have been reading this while in my Flexitouch "machine" as we call it. I have about 18 months left on my 5 years of Arimidex. I am fighting weight gain but is it because of the medicine or lack of activity due to painful joints??? I wear my wedding ring on a chain around my neck because after a few months of Arimidex it would no longer fit over my knuckle. My hair is thin and lifeless, and it was my favorite part of my appearance before chemo and Arimidex. I had wonderful hair, I miss it. Will it get better after I finish Arimidex, who knows??

I have epic night and sometime day sweats. I wake up just before I begin to heat up. Some night 1 or 2, some nights 7 or 8. I crave an uninterrupted night's sleep.

I have lymphedema which requires daily attention. My husband had a tumor removed from behind his knee last fall. It required both a muscle and skin graft. He had radiation but thankfully no chemo and the tumor had not spread. The muscle graft has resulted in interruption in the circulation of his lower leg. He wears TED (compression hose) on that calf plus wraps it with an ace bandage. He has been told this is a permanent problem. I think my lymphedema treatment has given him perspective....." you have been doing this for years now". I remind him when he gets down, what I learned. I have lymphedema, I have neuropathy (nerve damage) in my feet from the chemo. I have trouble finding clothes that fit over my slightly larger arm. But will all of this, I am supposed to be grateful I am alive. This usually comes from people who have no personal experience with cancer.

Do I sound a little bitter? Well, yes I am when I see the Speaker of the House say he wants to do away with coverage for pre-existing conditions, I want something awful and chronic to happen to him. And of course I wear compression garments on my arm and now that I am on Medicare, they are not covered. (See Lymphedema Treatment Act) so you are correct I am bitter. I had a cancer that was not caused by anything I did and the lifelong complications from my treatment will become a struggle financially.

• TNNurse
    Options

I blame chemo, anesthesia and everything I can on my memory loss. I am sure it is not age (I am 66). I did read somewhere that we should all just think that we are living in a novel that is currently being written, when you cannot think of something, it is because the author is backspacing.

I had hot flashes after my hysterectomy, but they were mild and not so frequent. When I see my oncologist and list the sweats, the loss of sleep and the joint pain, she shakes her head. Her look says "yes, the Arimidex is working".

• cb123
    Options

TNNurse,

I'm sorry you're feeling so miserable today.

I just ordered my first sleeve the other day, it will be here in about 2 weeks. I sew quilts. I imagine I can sew up some of those sleeves and for a lot less than they sell for online. I noticed the woman measuring me took 5 specific measurements - shouldn't be too hard to figure out. Soon as mine gets here I'm headed off to the fabric store to see what kind of suitable fabric I can find. I'm already anxious to get started on the microbead breast prosthetics, just waiting for the UPS man. We all inspire each other in ways we may not imagine. Today you've inspired me.

cb

• TNNurse
    Options

Thanks cb123, I am not particularly miserable today. It is just all this runs my life. I am right handed, had a right mastectomy so I have lymphedema in my right arm. I have to think before I pick up something heavy. I got used to carry my purse on my left shoulder pretty quickly. I guess it is just that though I am grateful to be alive and be fairly healthy, I will deal with breast cancer and it's side effects for the rest of my life.

And I have really come to hate the color pink.

• cb123
    Options

I had 27 nodes removed on the right and I'm wondering if I should just teach myself to be left handed now.

Personally, I've always favored red, but the past 5 years or so I've been leaning toward pink. Knowing how so many feel about it, I hate to show up places with my pink pens or wearing a pink blouse. I've decided I'm not going to let the money grubbers take the pink out of my world. I have really come to hate Susan G Komen's charity and all the others who use my lovely pink for their own devices. When I first got diagnosed, I kid you not the breast center gave me a Welcome card and a pink ribbon pin. It was absurd.

I wonder how long it's going to take for this Arimidex to kick in? I want to double dose - but I wont. I also seem a lot more anxious to get rid of these ovaries. I picture those damn cancer cells running around in my blood and nodes currently unchecked and I want them attacked!

A couple of weeks ago I googled "how long before Percocet kicks in." Today I googled: "how long before Arimidex kicks in."

I'm currently consumed with thoughts of cancer and killing it. Probably will be for another couple of months before I get used to it all.

Did you get good test results back in the beginning? Do the effects of Arimidex show up on any tumor marker tests?

cb

• farmerlucy
    farmerlucy Member Posts: 596
    Options

What the what????? Do away with pre-existing conditions?? HELL - That is the only thing good to come out of Obamacare. Thanks for making me aware of that. We're paying $400 more a month and the insurance companies have clamped down on all payments. Which insurance company is in Paul Ryan's pocket?

• jnu3
    Options

The truth is that it is all the medical insurance companies. Long before the Affordable Health Care Act, premiums were climbing. It had nothing to do with anything but the insurance companies greed. Now it is an excuse to get rid of the AHCA and/or deplete it of all the good that has come from the enactment of the Affordable Health Care Act. I keep thinking who the hell do these people think they are and who are they representing and then I remember; the all mighty dollar lining their pockets. Damn - here I go again.

Now I have cleared the hurdles with my MO, I am okayed to schedule my long awaited right knee replacement. I need to lose that extra 15 - 20 pounds in the next couple months. I went through my left knee replacement May 2012, 35 pounds heavier that now and it was hell.

• farmerlucy
    farmerlucy Member Posts: 596
    Options

Good luck with your knee replacement. I hear that is no easy thing.

DH calmed me down about the health insurance thing. We've had continuous coverage for over thirty years. Back in the old days moving group to group waived the pre-existing conditions clause. I guess we could live under that again. Is does strike fear in me to think that now that I've had a BC diagnosis my only option might be a high risk pool. Oh well.

Happy Friday everyone!

• jnu3
    Options

My left knee replacement was far better that the inability to move without pain. As for the insurance, I don't think that preexisting conditions restriction will be a problem to worry about.

• Nanagirl
    Nanagirl Member Posts: 21
    Options

I'm so happy to find this thread. Thank you for starting it. I had my second breast cancer diagnosis in October. Lumpectomy in November and ended my radiation treatments in January. I began taking Arimidex in December, something I hadn't taken with my last diagnosis because I had a hysterectomy. Silly me thinking with the hysterectomy I would rid my body of estrogen. Lately my shoulder is very painful. I was told years ago that I had arthritis there but it didn't seem to bother me. I exercise daily and have had to limit my arm movement. Other than joint pain I haven't felt any other SE to date. Is there anything that can lessen the pain? I'm not one for medications but feel I need to try something. I read somewhere that diet my help. My weight is good so need to know if there's anything I should or shouldn't be eating to help with pain. Thank you all.

• jnu3
    Options

I have a wonderful massage therapist who is trained in Oncology Massage which helps with lymph drainage and tightness and more movement after a session.

• MaggieMae123
    MaggieMae123 Member Posts: 2
    Options

Hi cb123, I got my prescription filled about a week and haven't taken one yet. You (and Elizabeth Taylor) have given me the courage to take it. I get so scared when I read about possible side effects, but I am going to just take the plunge. Thank you!

• cb123
    Options

YAY MaggieMae!

It's only been a few day and no side effects yet, I guess that will come later.

We got this.

cb

• jnu3
    Options

I started anastrozole the day after my radiation ended; March 18, 2016. The only se that I can pin point to the medication are damn hot flashes.

• jnu3
    Options

I understand that a lot of anastrozole users experience side effects of bone and joint pain and aches. I am going to have my right knee replacement (left was 2012). I had and have knee pain, but it is not increased from what it was before. Once I have the replacement I will be in a better position to determine if I am having side effects from the anastrozole or just the art of growing older.

• cajunqueen15
    cajunqueen15 Member Posts: 689
    Options

I'm 2 weeks in and feeling slightly depressed. The hysterctomy and forced early menopause have left me feeling angry and unbalanced. Is anyone else here in their 30s?

Had a horrific reaction to the clinical trial and spent yesterday in the ER.

• cajunqueen15
    cajunqueen15 Member Posts: 689
    Options

nana - have you considered eliminating nightshades and processed sugar to help with inflammation?

• jnu3
    Options

Keep your head up, your eyes open and a smile on your face; at least that is my morning mantra. Into the second month of anastrozole, I will do this.

• Duzy
    Duzy Member Posts: 65
    Options

I two am into my second month of anastrozole. So far so good. I actually think it helps met sleep better - I still might wake up in the middle of the night with hot flashes but it is not to bad. Keep moving forward. We have been finalizing my daughters wedding plans so I have not been on the site too much. Hope everyone is adjusting and moving forward the best they can