Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

For Arimidex/Anastrozole new, past, and ongoing New

Options
12345679»

Comments

• tnd22
    tnd22 Member Posts: 39
    Options

New to this thread but not to this website...

PauletteK- you said you were scheduled for a boneCT then mentioned PET. Is it for a PET/CT? That is for mets. A bone density is for what it says it's for, to see how dense your bones are and how much the medicines will decrease and it experience bone loss. Not sure why you would need a PET/CT unless the doctor suspects mets, sorry, I hope you don't have them. Ask your doctor if that is what he is thinking.

Ellyn27- I used to give bone densities, but it's been a while. (also the PET/CT for PauletteK above). I think the reason they do the hip and spine is because that is where most bone loss occurs. There is a national database that compares those sites to see what is normal. It is indictative of where bone loss all over the body- if there is loss in the hip, there is also loss in other places, don't really need to do everything. If you are too heavy for the machine (over 350 lbs generally) they will do the wrist but there is less data for that area.

Been on anastrozole for 9 months. Recently I've been having tightness in my chest, higher than normal blood pressures, and swelling in both arms (only one had lymph nodes removed). Does anyone have any experience with those SE and think they are from something else?

Also, I can't remember on this site how to change my treatment/diagnosis signature. I can see the page but no option to add to it. Does anyone remember how?

• PauletteK
    PauletteK Member Posts: 1,279
    Options

tnd, I have bone density CT for baseline, I had PET scan before my surgery last year. Thank you.

• humblepeace
    humblepeace Member Posts: 85
    Options

Hi Snickersmom,

You mentioned taking gabapentin and Tramadol for your back, is this due to hormone therapy or something else if you don’t mind me asking? I have had neuropathy in hands and toes since the end of chemo and seems worse on Tamoxifen. I was prescribed gabapentin but haven’t taken it yet. I also have very persistent back pain,which has been X-rayedand a whole body bone scan which both came back clear. I have wandered if the back pain could be nerve damage from chemotherapy?

• Sunshine323
    Sunshine323 Member Posts: 1
    Options

Hi - I just started this hormone therapy and I can't take the side effect of my stomach being in so much pain. What can I do except stop the treatment? I really need help. I would rather die than go thru this much pain. Can anyone tell me what might help? thank you

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,990
    Options

Dear Sunshine323,

We are so sorry that you are dealing with such difficult side effects and we are glad that you reached out to our members. Here is a link to information on our site about Arimidex. Have you talked to your Oncologist about your experiences? Here are some other resources for you to review. Pease stay active here and let us know how we can help you to get connected. The Mods

• snickersmom
    snickersmom Member Posts: 599
    Options

Hi Humblepeace, so sorry it has taken me so long to respond to your questions. We've been away for a few weeks at a time since the end of February and I just now am catching up.

I was put on Gabapentin and Tramadol the first time I had herniated disks in my back (about 8 years ago). I take 2 Tramadol per day, and sometimes a thirds one depending on what I am doing. It's 50mg. I take 6 300mg of Gabapentin a day, 3 in the morning and 3 in the evening. I have nerve damage in my left foot, ankle, and leg and the Gabapentin really helps. So it sounds like you might benefit fromthe Gabapentin. I do have chronic back problems because of herniated disks so I will probably always have to take them both.

• vampeyes
    vampeyes Member Posts: 523
    Options

Hey All,

Some of us girls on the Tamoxifen thread have been working on a survey for curiosity's sake. Started out mainly to see where everyone was at with side effects. There will be no emails collected, no names, all anonymous. If you have any thoughts on adding to the questionnaire send me a message and I can add it. So far 9 people have responded and once you are done you will be able to view the results. :) Thanks in advance.

Cheryl

Edited by Mods to remove link to survey. Only mod-approved surveys may be posted.

• janeqpoppy
    janeqpoppy Member Posts: 28
    Options

I've been away from the board for a long time, but came back to research long-term side effects of Arimidex. I've been on it for 3 years and 2 months. The side effect I've been most aware of is hot flashes. They were maddening in the beginning, and I still have them, but I'm not sure if they're diminishing or I'm just getting used to them. I also have these "waves" of what I can only describe as my skin just hurts all over (especially my legs). The wave only lasts for about a minute, but it's so unpleasant.

Anyhoo, what I came to ask about is long-term muscle aches and pains. I'm not aware of joint pain specifically (or maybe in my hips...), but just all over achiness. I walk every day for about 40 minutes and have for years. If I've been away from walking for a while, when I start up again, my hips will get achy, but after a few days, that straightens out. Since I've been on Arimidex, the more I walk, the achier I get, not just on one walk, but over a period of days. IOW it doesn't get better after a few days/weeks. I sometimes have to stop and sit down for a while, and I never used to have to do that. And just around the house, my back aches, my legs, my arms when I reach for something over my head.

I don't plan on switching drugs--I'm just asking if others have experienced the all-over achiness that does not go away with regular exercise. I'd rather keep the side effects I know than "fly to others I know not of." I only have a couple more years on this and then good riddance!

• wallan
    wallan Member Posts: 192
    Options

I am wondering about SE of Anastrozole now too.

I have been on it for 1 year 5 months. I have bloating, indigestion, heartburn, hives, achyiness in muscles and a feeling like I have the flu. I do get waves of tinglingness from time to time that really sucks. I have a cough and postnasal drip. The hives are the worse. They are all over, but for the last two weeks or so have been getting better I thought. A few days actually I had no hives. But now, they are back with a vengenance. I am tracking what I eat, but see no real trigger that stands out. I do wonder if the stomach issues are from hives too inside of me....

When I first started on anastrozole I would get brutal migraine headaches and dizziness and insomnia. These are gone now. Now, I am fatigued and feel "feeble" and fragile. From time to time I do get sore knees.

Hot flashes are only once and a while and are mild. I am on Effexor though.

I don't know if anyone else has these SE or not.

Feeling sorry for myself...

wallan

• wallan
    wallan Member Posts: 192
    Options

I have been on it for 1 year 5 months. I have bloating, indigestion, heartburn, hives, achyiness in muscles and a feeling like I have the flu. I do get waves of tinglingness from time to time that really sucks. I have a cough and postnasal drip. The hives are the worse. They are all over, but for the last two weeks or so have been getting better I thought. A few days actually I had no hives. But now, they are back with a vengenance. I am tracking what I eat, but see no real trigger that stands out. I do wonder if the stomach issues are from hives too inside of me....

When I first started on anastrozole I would get brutal migraine headaches and dizziness and insomnia. These are gone now. Now, I am fatigued and feel "feeble" and fragile. From time to time I do get sore knees.

Hot flashes are only once and a while and are mild. I am on Effexor though.

I don't know if anyone else has these SE or not.

Feeling sorry for myself...

wallan

• janeqpoppy
    janeqpoppy Member Posts: 28
    Options

An hour ago wallan wrote:

<snip>...

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Ugh, wallan, It sounds like you have a whole catalog of side effects. And only on it a little over a year--yuck! For a while I had jaw pain, and the dentist was about to make me a mouth guard, when the oncologist's nurse suggested I go off Arimidex for a couple of weeks to see if the jaw pain went away. It did. Sigh.

There's really no point in discussing the SE with the onc. I'm not going to change drugs. I'm counting the minutes until I'm off this one, however! Thanks for your post. All the best to you!

• AngelsGal57
    AngelsGal57 Member Posts: 103
    Options

I am new to this thread as the other ones seem to be old and out of use now regarding Fermera and other AI meds. I was on Tamoxifen and unable to continue after 3 months due to severe leg and foot cramps some times both legs and feet at the same time. I see my OD next Thurs and want to suggest Femara or possibly Arimidex. These comments I am reading are very helpful in enabling me to consider my options.

Angelsgal

• AngelsGal57
    AngelsGal57 Member Posts: 103
    Options

Well my friends on day 2 of this new AI and only had slight tingling in my fingers so far. No other side effects have raised their ugly heads yet. Thank you everyone for your comments. I am so grateful for them and your suggestions for working out the SE's as they come.

Angelsgal57