Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...
What part of day-to-day life during your breast cancer experience has been most challenging for you? Take our poll.

IBC lounge: roll call, support and just a good place to hang out

1919293949597»

Comments

• traveltext
    traveltext Member Posts: 1,054

Hey LW, always good to hear from you. I guess the rule here is no news is good news! That applies to me for now! Anyway sorry to hear about the extra mammo. Good luck with it and keep us posted.

• lw422
    lw422 Member Posts: 1,414

Hey TT! Thanks for the good wishes; I'm a little nervous about the biopsy but not living in sheer terror like the first time. Hope all is well with you.

• hopeful2020
    hopeful2020 Member Posts: 81

hey there @lw422 - was wondering where you were. What was your Birad categorization previously? Sorry to hear about the biopsy. Guess just show up for it and see what it might be. Try and not to worry what the results will be. There is always an answer to the situation.

As for me, 2 rounds done of THP. Some softening of the breast is evident. After the 3rd one, will have a CT Scan. So far doing ok. Brain MRI was clear - asked for it as that seems to be the only one left to image 😀 CA27-29 was normal.

• bsandra
    bsandra Member Posts: 1,023

Dear lw422, thank you for letting us know your news - what a brave human being you are! We are okay here, generally talking. Your biopsy will give all the answers but unconcerned oncologist is a very good sign. Hugs to you and keep us updated,

Saulius

• lw422

@hopeful2020 — my very first BIRADS classification was 5, but then I was "upgraded" to BIRADS 6 when I was diagnosed with IBC. Excellent news that your brain scan was clear and you are seeing improvements from treatment! Yeah!

@bsandra — thank you, Saulius. I'm not particularly brave but taking a cue from my oncologist who did not seem unduly alarmed by the calcifications. I'm hoping to hear from the biopsy tomorrow or Monday and I will post as soon as I know. I am entertaining the idea of a mastectomy no matter what the outcome; I'm tired of dealing with that "uniboob." I hope your sweet wife (and YOU) are doing well these days.

• lw422

Wow; I just got a message from MD Anderson. "No evidence of malignancy seen in the calcifications!" Hooray!!!

• hopeful2020
    hopeful2020 Member Posts: 81

Great news @lw422 !!!

• bsandra
    bsandra Member Posts: 1,023

Dear lw422, yes!:) You absolutely deserve these news. Thank you also for remembering us - we are doing well, always aware, but doing well… Hugs, Saulius

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,417

Hey @lw422, we're super happy to hear that!! 🤸🎉🎊

• preciousbecky23
    preciousbecky23 Member Posts: 26

Well I haven’t checked in in a while but hello everyone :) LW I’m glad to hear your scare turned out to be nothing concerning! I’m actually in a similar situation right now. Went in 4 days ago for my routine MRI for my remaining breast and got slapped with a BIRADS 4, showing a 0.5cm “non mass enhancement”. I have no palpable lump or dimpling, skin changes, swelling etc. and physical exam was normal. My genetic testing has come back negative, twice, since my original TN IBC dx in 11/2021. My SO said IF this is anything it would be something new and not a recurrence. I’m heading in today for a “second-look ultrasound” and if they can visualize it they will biopsy today, if they can’t see it they will do an MRI guided biopsy. I’m still doing Signatera ctDNA testing every 3 months and it’s coming back negative since I finished treatment in Feb 2023, so I’m happy about that but like COME ON!! I’m only 38 and have 4 kiddos under 7 right now, the thought of having to go through any sort of treatment again, my mind can’t even go there. I just want to be DONE worrying!!! Ugh.

• lw422

Hi there Becky. It's great to hear from you and I hope your ultrasound went well yesterday. Did you have the biopsy? Let us know what you find out; I am keeping you in my thoughts. Hope you are having a good weekend. Take care.

• lw422

Becky—just checking in to see if you got scan results. You are in my thoughts and I'm sending up a prayer for you. Hope all is well.

• preciousbecky23

Hi LW! Thanks for the kind words :) how are you? I was supposed to have my targeted ultrasound w/ biopsy on Friday, but ended up having to reschedule bc the hospital computer system was down due to that global software issue.. luckily they got me in first thing Tues morning. Turns out whatever they saw on the MRI isn’t showing up on ultrasound. They want to do an MRI-guided biopsy next, which unfortunately they only do on Mondays and Thursdays, and their next opening is 3 weeks from now! :( That seems like an eternity. My SO team said they’d try requesting it be bumped up sooner, and I’m on the cancellation list. I know breast MRIs are more sensitive than mammos and ultrasounds, and that they also result in more false positives. I’m really hoping this is just some fluke or benign thing, whatever it is. Seems it’s going to be a while before I get any answers.

• preciousbecky23

Back to say they bumped up my MRI guided biopsy to this past Monday and I just got the results in MYChart last night - BENIGN! They took several samples and path showed “usual ductal hyperplasia, fribroadenomatoid change (0.2cm)”. I’m so relieved and thankful it wasn’t something more. Seriously considering a prophylactic mastectomy on my remaining side even more now to avoid having to go through all this again!

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,417

@preciousbecky23 - That's fantastic news! Whatever you decide, or if you have any questions, feel free to reach out. We're here to support you!

The Mods

• lw422

What wonderful news, Becky!! I'm so happy for you. I had a scare a few months ago and I've been thinking the same thing about the prophylactic mastectomy. Plus, struggling with one "D" side has been a challenge for me and I'm really tired of dealing with it. Let me know what you decide. I'm going to call for a consultation with my breast surgeon.

• mara51506
    mara51506 Member Posts: 6,370

PreciousBecky, benign is always great to hear, I cannot blame you for wanting a prophylactic mastectomy either.

Been a long time since checking in so hoping everyone here is doing well. I am still NED from neck down and brain is stable. Have CT scans once a year now since it has been 9 years of NED below the chin after mastectomy, chemo, rads to breast wall and Herceptin. Brain is monitored every three months as a pool of blood was observed in the head, not in the brain though. We are watching that, no idea of a cause and there does not appear to be any effect from it either.

• traveltext
    traveltext Member Posts: 1,054
    edited August 26

Your continued NED (below the neck) status is nothing short of amazing Mara and so good to hear. Hoping the blood issue is resolved. I had blood on the brain 20 years ago and that was a bad stroke. Fortunately the blood resolved itself. I'm always grateful for the excellent medical treatment on offer these days.

For those here who missed it, here is the article I wrote about Mara two years ago:

I'm now 10 years post treatment and still NED.

Best wishes to all here.