Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Share Your TNBC Story

Options

Comments

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,966
    edited November 2016
    Options

2016Aug, welcome to Breastcancer.org. Sorry that you are here for this reason... but glad you found us!

There is a specific forum to discuss about Complementary and Holistic Medicine and Treatment where you may want to post your question too. Let us know if you need help with it!

Best,

The Mods

• Erika659o
    Erika659o Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2016
    Options

Your post just put a smile on my face. I was just diagnosed today with triole negative. Im 41 with 3 young daughters. I do triathlons, rin marathons, im completely devastated and feeling hopeless and helpless. Your story helped

• LoveMyVizsla
    LoveMyVizsla Member Posts: 526
    edited December 2016
    Options

Welcome, Erika. Hope you get a plan in place quickly. It helps to ease the fears to be in active treatment.

• marias
    marias Member Posts: 265
    edited January 2017
    Options

Hello everyone, on October 31 I dreamed of my father, who had died 11 years ago, and tells me in the dream, "Nena has breast cancer." Stay awake and alert ... I have been very tired in the last years and with a pain in the upper part of the belly on the right side. So I had some liver exams and biliary exams but I had not returned the mammogram since 2012. I had the low white blood cells in 2013 and I went to the hematology, but I did not know why. The fatigue continued, and it was getting worse. In August I started a headache that was initially thought to be the glasses, I suspended a mastery study that was advancing, and change three times of glasses. The ophthalmologist said everything is fine with his eyes, so I made a cerebellar and also went well. But there was the headache, the pain in the side and if some activity was totally exhausted. So with those words of my father in the dream, stick to the ceiling. It was already November 1.

That same day I asked for an appointment with the family doctor who sent me the mammography, they did it to me that day at 6:30 pm, I hardly got to the appointment because there was a huge trancon. So the young lady who took care of me, treated me aggressively, scolded me because I did not choose the correct position in front of the mammogram from the first moment, but I do not care, she told me, I have to run with this.

I was told that on November 15 I got the results, but on Saturday, Saturday, at 5 pm, the results arrived in the mail, saying that it was a Birads 4c. I remained in schock, I could no longer doubt my father's words. So that day, call my mother who lives in another continent to my brothers who live in other cities.

I live alone, so I said good to move then !!

Go back to where the family doctor, who immediately sent me to do the biopsy, on Wednesday November 9th I did the trucut biopsy, in the surgery room, the fear caused my blood pressure to rise.

The most difficult thing until that moment had been not having close people with whom to speak, in a more humane way. When I said I'm waiting for the result of the biopsy, I've been told, "is that you have to solve a problem with your mom" "with your dad" "with one of your partners" "is something you have not healed from the past." .. etc. Go support to go to the very same fuck, or I seek the cancer .. when I thought to tell a psychologist, then, a small child that gives cancer, which is what I had to heal ... tells me ... because ... it is that when he was going to come to this world he decided that he would give him cancer as a child ... hp, that is, it is the fault of one who has cancer .. so I did not find people with the Which I could talk about that did not make me feel guilty, that I had gone to the sky market to buy the cancer.

I asked for vacations, how can one be working and go to the medical services, ask for appointments, authorizations, rows, etc. while working. The first five days after the pathology left me incapacitated. The pathology was infiltrating Carcinoma, nottingham 8/9 and histological grade 3, something that I do not know what it means so far.

Then go back to the oncologist, who sends a hypo-histochemistry, then you have to go through the tissue samples to the first laboratory that did the pathology and take it to another. The delivery of these fabrics are made in paraffin cylinders and some plates ... but it takes ... about 20 days if they do it between laboratories and if you go and do the rows, management, order, The letter, etc, about 6 working days ....

While those days were good, I went to the swimming pool, to the sauna, to walk, to listen to audiobooks, and to do the sistica to each activity, I felt very good, more rested, as free without having to go to the office.

After an aunt, I invited me to a farm in a cooler area where I live, to talk about all that was happening to me .. but I also invite other cousins that I did not see more than 30 years ago ... so I do not I feel very good neither the weather nor the company, we were in another synchrony, I thinking about what I'm going to do and them on vacation ... So I can not talk much of what happened to me, my aunt had an immense cold so I I fish it and go back to my rather constipated city.

Finally I already have the result of the second laboratory already says: triplenegative and Ki67 present at 35%. Oh ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I have a sister who, since I told her that I had done the mammogram, says to me, "Tranquility is nothing, trust in God." Every day sends notes of religious things, but she does not call me or write to me to ask me how I am ... I will be very sensitive and I expect more from the family, what a mistake, being single, being 53 and living alone.

Now since I know it is a triplenegative I have been tearful, sensitive ... And I feel that I am not able to face what is coming ...

Well now, first I'm going to put a clip, get an aspiration biopsy of the sentinel lymph node, start chemotherapy and pray to God, let the chemo work.

I do not know if the clip hurts. Anyone knows?

In the last weeks have appeared and disappeared friends and friends .... I think it is better that they rotate so they do not burn with this situation ... so I try not to lie to anyone ... but I really feel very alone.

Now I know the cancer is also "basal-like". Is somebody there with the same?

• LoveMyVizsla
    LoveMyVizsla Member Posts: 526
    edited January 2017
    Options

Maria's, all triple negative are basal type. There is a sub board here named "calling all TN's". Lots of helpful supportive people there.

• moderators
    edited January 2017
    Options

Dear marias, we're sorry you find yourself in this situation, but wanted to say welcome to this wonderful community and thank you for sharing your story. You have found a great place for information and a place to share and vent, so come here every time you need, we're here for you!

Wishing you the best with treatment and further tests.

The Mods

• marias
    marias Member Posts: 265
    edited January 2017
    Options

hello thanks for u words, Im now in this group. have a nice day

marias

• PNWskier
    PNWskier Member Posts: 3
    edited February 2017
    Options

Just hanging my name on this thread! I'm hoping to pick up a few things and see how everyone is doing.I've done the first round of neoadjuvant therapy and the next will be on Feb 24.  Since I haven't had surgery I haven't been staged yet but the MRI didn't see anything in a node, so here's hoping.

I'm actually quite lucky that I insisted on a 3D mammo which was done this December. I scheduled it in September and I was the first patient on the machine. Our hospital had done a fundraiser to get it or I would have done a regular mammo and had a clean bill of health for another year or two. They saw only a little distortion, maybe part of some scar tissue from some fibroid tumors that were removed in my 20s. After the first 3D mammo they brought me in for more 3D films (still only a little distortion), regular mammo views (nothing) and an ultrasound (nothing). The radiologist was insistent to be sure and did a stereotactic 3D biopsy. At that point I'm still thinking it's going to be scar tissue from the old surgery. Then the path report. You have to imagine that I read the pathology report at least 100 times and looked up everything. Wow! I was glad to finally get eyes on the tumor(s) with the MRI. There are actually 3 of them in the left breast with the 2 cm one being the largest.

Right now I'm hoping that all this nausea, heartburn and fatigue pays off. I'm committed to going through it and giving everything my best shot.

• scoobydoo
    scoobydoo Member Posts: 20
    edited February 2017
    Options

I was diagnosed with Triple Neg in June of 2009. Had lumpectomy and chemo, then radiation. Three years later I was diagnosed with melanoma right in the location of my radiation therapy. Happy to say that eight years out I am still NED!!!! I feel great. Chemo threw me into early menopause and caused my thyroid to go bonkers. Other than that all is well. Triple negative is not a death sentence. Many of us ladies are thriving after diagnosis. Stay strong ladies!

• Jacbowden
    Jacbowden Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2017
    Options

hi Tootsie,

Sorry to hear about your dx ( I am new to all of this, as well as abbreviations)!

The only words of comfort I can think of to say, are for you to be kinder to yourself.

The shock I got ( at 65 and 'ready for almost anything) was massive! Here was me thinking I could handle anything and suddenly I was in turmoil! I was literally thinking I was going to drop dead next week. So, one of the first things I did was to seek out a counsellor/spiritual/ mentor kind of person. I was very lucky to find a wonderful lady who straight away taught me some simple tools for protecting myself against stress and thinking and dwelling. If you live in an area where cannabis is legal,then try relaxing with some oil. The best nights sleep you will ever have is guaranteed!

• liviafrombrazil
    liviafrombrazil Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2017
    Options

Nona, we are in this together. My cirurgy was on April 28th; my lump was 1,6 cm, grade 3. I got my TN news yesterday and was devastated. But I have found encouragement in this forum, reading stories of so many strong women. I am heading for chemo too. All the best to you. I have 3 kids and I want to be a grandmother some day. Keep your faith. All the best.

• moderators
    edited May 2017
    Options

Welcome, Liviafrombrazil! We're glad you've found a place to share experiences and get support as you begin down this road, we're all here for you!

The Mods

• susie_2017
    susie_2017 Member Posts: 142
    edited May 2017
    Options

I'm 44 years old, a mother of 4, grandmother of 4 with one on the way, and 3 yorkies! I had mammogram in 2014 and I didn't like it so I said I wasn't doing it again for 5 years. Well I went to gyne in Feb 2017 and she said I was overdue. I went to humor her, I had no lump, discharge or pain. The hospital called the next day and said I had to have repeat. Reluctantly I did it. They called again and said I needed biopsy. Everyone said don't worry it's probably just dense breasts. The hospital called 3 days later and said I had cancer. They said I was ER+, PR+, and HER2- I immediately wanted a bilateral mastectomy, just get rid of the cancer as fast as possible. But doctors talked me into lumpectomy. When i got pathology back it turns out I'm triple negative. The positives were weakly positive on the biopsy. If I had known that before surgery I would've had the bilateral mastectomy. The tumor was a grade 3. Which means even if onco score came back low I would need chemo, then radiation. If breast cancer returns in the future since im having radiation this time reconstruction may not be an option. So as i sat here waiting for Oncotyping results chemo could've been started. Now I feel as if time was wasted and if one rogue cell was left behind it could've grew over the month. My score was 44. I see medical oncologist next week to finally get a plan started. Trying to stay positive but having fear of the unknown!

• triplenegative
    triplenegative Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2017
    Options

Hello,

I am new here, but not to breast cancer. I was diagnosed with tnbc october 2007, had a lumpectomy chemo and radiation, stage two with two positive nodes. It will be almost 10 years soon, still doing well and am in remission since my treatments ended in 2008.Just want to give encouragement and hope. We can survive this disease and we will!

• Marymac5522
    Marymac5522 Member Posts: 5
    edited August 2017
    Options

I have been diagnosed as triple negative invasive found in the ducts. It has been a comedy of errors but a lesson in getting good diagnosis of your biopsy results.

Let me first start with the fact that there is significant familial breast cancer (I'm the 9th occurance in 6 people on my dad's side).. and no one is BRCA positive (including me).

Here's the story:

Feb: something seen on mammogram, resulting in another mammo and then ultrasound, recommending needle biopsy

Mar: local breast surgeon at regional cancer center says: it's tiny, probably nothing.

Apr: needle biopsy done by regional cancer center breast surgeon, lab read as hyperplasia in the duct (pre-cancer pre-DCIS)

June: (because there is no urgency, late June appointment) for excisional biopsy aka lumpectomy. Because hyperplasia was expected, there was no node testing. Same local lab read the results as Stage ZERO DCIS, HIGH GRADE, ER+7%, PR-; suggested I should see oncologist and radiologist here at regional cancer center and do genetic study. Those regional center docs said radiation plus hormone therapy.

July:talked to cousins, aunts gathering data for genetic testing and they convinced me to see their doctor who is in another state in a very large city at a famous breast cancer center (not sure if I should say where). That doctor saw me 2 days later. I brought her the slides from the pathology lab here (didn't even know I could do that). She said she was concerned about the "High Grade", the very low ER+, and my family history. The path lab at the "famous" hospital subsequently read the slides differently. The found a tiny amount of invasive (.2cm) along with a small amount of DCIS (.4cm). Also the DCIS had low ER+ PR-, but the invasive was triple negative. They said anyone without the family history would do the radiation but that only chemo would work with triple negative. And if I chose to keep the breast they would do the hormone therapy to protect the other breast... but it wouldn't help the triple negative invasive. They also said that they would at least recommend node testing (so some surgery), and they really felt I should consider the double mastectomy (given the family history). They said that the amount of invasive was too small to need chemo so that once I did the mastectomy (assuming the nodes were clear), I was good to go. They did NOT feel CT/bone scan was necessary. ( should also state that some of my relatives chose radiation versus mastectomy and those that did, had recurrance at a later date).

July: local doc orders MRI after lumpectomy... all looks fine.

late July: local doctors are concerned about the invasive not being found, are somewhat defensive and feel the bilateral mx surgery is too drastic. They order CT scan and bone scan as alternative to node testing surgery. They don't recommend chemo as the amount of invasive is "so small"... (at least they agree on that much).

Aug 1: The CT scan from local radiology lab comes back with a "nodule" on the opposite lung. The bone scan comes up all lit up on the ribs just beneath the lumpectomy. I panic. Famous cancer center feels that this makes no sense given the lumpectomy results and the MRI said it was contained and small. Also my chest XRay for the lumpectomy didn't see anything. They feel the CT Scan and Bone scan are some kind of wierd uptake of the radiation/contrast medicine. I suspect they look down their noses at this regional cancer center. I also suspect the radiologists are doing a CYA in their reading of the results, predicting the worst to cover themselves. I had an additional rib study X-ray done and the CT was wrong. I hope the X-ray is right

Aug 7: is my bi-lateral mx and they will then test the nodes and other breast. Then I know if chemo is required and I'll begin reconstruction.

Aug 15: turns out that the lymph nodes were clear so no need for chemo or radiation. Also turns out that I made the right decision. Another area of DCIS was found that was missed on the lumpectomy and, in the other breast, atypical hyperplasia (pre cancer). I dodged a bullet because my cousin pushed me to get a second opinion.

So, the lesson is: if you have any history of breast cancer in the family... don't mess with a needle biospy, go straight to excisional (lumpectomy). I cannot understand why the needle is effective at all if they ultimately now decide to do excisional (since very often the needle is a mis-diagnosis from what I've learned). Also, at this point, I will always get a second opinion on any biopsy (and suggest this for family members) because it is an "art" not just "science". And it also appears that radiology is also a bit of an art. As inconvenient as it is, I do think there is value to seeing a doctor out of town... no cronyism.

I was very very lucky that this was caught early. I was even more lucky to have knowledgeable family members who convinced me to pursue. Hopefully, I'll be lucky with the node testing and all the rest. I'll update this after more is known. Maybe I should post this under some sort of diagnostic testing horror story versus "just" triple negative as a topic?

Mary Mac

• js1001
    js1001 Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2017
    Options

HeartThank you for sharing this! I just had my lumpectomy and a few nodes taken out, clear margins! Next is radiation. I'm just having anxiety about reoccurance but reading this helped me

• IntegraGirl
    IntegraGirl Member Posts: 48
    edited August 2017
    Options

I was diagnosed with TN IBC in January 2017. Given my symptoms, I already knew what the diagnosis likely would be but it was still devastating to have it confirmed. I was 48 years old and one of those people who never get sick. I can't even remember when the last time I had a cold. I am a full time senior lawyer with a thriving practice.

I lived a pretty reasonable life: ate fairly healthy , while not an exercise freak, I have always been active (run my 4 dogs 3-4 hours a week) and spend a good deal of time outside gardening in the summer and shovelling snow in the winter, I was not fat although I don't miss the 12 pounds I've dropped over the past 6 months, never smoked. Never had a sweet tooth so sugar was not a big part of my diet. No kids. For the naughty: I drank 2-3 glasses of wine with dinner regularly and was under a great deal of stress in the fall 2016 with 4 back to back hearings from Sept-Dec. I do note that I won each of them :).

I've just finished 8 rounds of chemo: 4 FEC and 4 docetaxol. Besides losing my hair and fatigue (especially after my 3rd round of docetaxol), my SEs have been pretty nominal and my blood counts have been normal . I've done the 72 hour fast recommended by Valter Longo throughout. I've worked throughout although at about 75 percent capacity and work from home as needed. My MO says I've had a great response to chemo but my US in a few weeks will confirm.

Next step after US is meeting with the surgeon on the 18th to discuss next steps. Surgery terrifies me. I walked out of my port placement because the nurses were incompetent and I am scared that I will do the same thing in hospital. I wish they could just dart me in my yard, lift me into a truck, do the deed and then return me to my yard tagged and in a cone. Similar to how they handle rhinos :).

I know my chances aren't great with this lovely combo so, for me, quality of life is paramount. Before I do any treatment, I need to know that it is likely to have a meaningful result on my survival chances. I feel like I'm on a conveyor belt and I am the only check and balance in this system

We have legally assisted suicide in Canada and my MO has assured me that if things start heading to shit, he will recommend me for the list. I have 4 dogs, aged 7-10, and really, I just want to outlive them although they each have designated people in the worst case scenario. I had to cancel a month long trip to sit in the Okavango Delta with a private guide in a May so I hope I can do that next year. My memories of Botswana have helped me get through some rough times these past 6 months.

• vl22
    vl22 Member Posts: 471
    edited August 2017
    Options

I was diagnosed with two tumors on my birthday 5/5/17 - both ER+/her2-. Terrified. Surgery scheduled then postponed due to MRI results that required a bone scan. Surgery 6/15. It was horrible and I didn't think it could get worse.

Pathology came back - re excision needed, scheduled for 7/3. Ok. Oh and we found a third tumor hiding behind one of the others. Oh - and it's TN. Oh and an intramammary node has a speck of cancer in it. "Complicated" pathology but not "bad news". Really??

I managed to not break down until we got home and not in front of the kids. I looked back at my initial diagnosis and wondered what I was so scared about, because obviously this was a death sentence! I was worried about rads for 5 weeks? Now I was staring at 5 months of hair depleting chemo! I was a wreck. How could anything work out for me if everything was going so wrong?

Well, I just finished my 2nd AC. I cry rarely. I'm still eating well and exercising. I'm focused on enjoying every day. I don't take anything for granted. I'm nicer to those I love and those nice to me, but I'm faster to not take any crap. This is my life - right now and I'm living it. It's great to be alive and I appreciate it. It breaks my heart that so many are dealing with this, which is why I come here - to support and be supported.

Finally, TNBC has a "poorer"prognosis, but not a poor"one, which I'm so tired of reading. I feel confident I'll beat it - how else can I feel? I can't deal with tomorrow until it comes, so I focus on today.

Vanessa

• MomMom
    MomMom Member Posts: 334
    edited August 2017
    Options

Vanessa,

I love your attitude girl!!!! At the beginning of DX, I thought the whole thing was scary and overwhelming. After getting my treatment plan, I felt grateful for chemo & went to each treatment happy to be there. I exercised every day, to whatever extent I could, and remained positive. I am a much stronger and better person as a result of the DX & treatment. Stay positive. It will serve you well.

Paula

• Bmaldo11
    Bmaldo11 Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2017
    Options

I am 55 years old live in Richmond VA, on February 10th 2017 I was diagnosed with triple negative intraductal breast cancer stage I, had a lumpectomy on the right breast, I went through 4 sessions of AC, one every two weeks, and 12 session of Taxol, 3 sessions of Carboplatin every three weeks with the Taxol.

I finished the chemo treatment last week, my oncologist send me for a mamogram, and the result shows some linear calcifications that were not there before, (9 months ago) the radiologist was concerned and recommend a biopsy.

I am kind of sad and desapointed because I did all the work to go through chemo for five months, the next part of the treatment would be 33 sessions of radiation,but I have to wait for the results of the next biopsy that will be done this Monday.

Someone out here in a similar case? Your reply will be appreciated.

• Bmaldo11
    Bmaldo11 Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2017
    Options

Thanks for sharing your story, motivates me to continue in this battle with optimism and enjoying every moment of my life that I feel well, taking it day by day. It is the best way.

Wishing you the best, blessings.

• scm12
    scm12 Member Posts: 13
    edited October 2017
    Options

Hi - I did neoadjuvant AC + T followed by lumpectomy and radiation - all process ended August 2. My BS ordered exams (echo and mammogram) to be done in February 2018. She says it is to set a new normal because after surgery things change. Maybe those calcifications are related with scar tissue and the radiologist is just being cautious. Good luck for your biopsy.

• Stephanotis
    Stephanotis Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2017
    Options

Hi - I have just stumbled upon this site and thought I'd share my story. I was originally diagnosed with TNBC in September of 2010. I had 2 weeks prior had a mammogram that showed negative, but two weeks later I had a large lump in my breast, that I had biopsied and was positive. My original surgery was a lumpectomy and removal of 11 lymph nodes. My original surgery revealed a tumor of 7 cm's and was the 11 involved lymph nodes. The margins were not clear so I had another lumpectomy, also not clear and I opted for a third. Third time was a charm and the margins were clear. This was all followed by 4 rounds of AC chemo, then 4 rounds of Taxol. I will not lie. The taxol was brutal and I ended up being out of work for a bit while recovering from that. During this time, I lost my hair and eyebrows etc. I was so hot, that I opted for no wigs or hats, and if there was a bright side it was that I found the loss of hair quite liberating, and not having to shave my legs for months was a bright spot. Chemo was followed by 6 and a half weeks of radiation, which I was very fortunate to have no side effects from. I can say that the whole thing was grueling, but I was blessed with a wonderful support team in my sister, my mom and good friends. While this first go round was filled with fear of the future, I was also determined not to let it rule my life and make me fearful. I soon grew tired of being the patient and just wanted to be Stephanie again. I celebrated the end of my treatment with a whitewater rafting trip with my then 75 year old mother. It was life affirming.

2and 1/2 years later I was diagnosed with a recurrence in the same breast that everyone was sure was scar tissue - it was not. I opted for a mastectomy at that time and then had another regimen of chemotherapy. My healing from the mastectomy was quicker than I would have imagined and I worked all through my chemo. Did have the need for physical therapy, which greatly helped. Again I tried to be positive going through treatment. I truly feel that continuing to work helped a great deal. Just as I was getting ready to start my chemo my only son was shot 13 times by state police and I was dealing with that trauma - by some miracle he lived although he is now a paraplegic. Stress is not good for the cancer. Understatement. However I soon finished and was back to normal.

Fast forward to March of 2017 and I found more lumps - all my providers thought it was scar tissue - I asked to have a biopsy which lo and behold shows cancer. My TNBC is back - same location. Now the recommendation was for chemo followed by radiation again for best success. I've about reached my limit for dealing with toxic things in my body, but am now 7 treatments down, 1 more week of Carboplatin and Gemcitibine. Can't wait to be done. To be truthful even though they say the radiation is more important at this point, I'm up in the air as to whether or not I want to go through with it. I am also now raising 2 small grandchildren and getting ready to adopt them. What? Cancer is not enough to deal with you say? I'm a sucker for a challenge I guess. My providers say there is now a 40% chance of recurrence even with treatment, but I'm determined to be one of the 60%. Third time is a charm right? I want to feel normal, stop having toxic chemicals in my body, return to having some sort of energy in order to give my granddaughters a good life. I feel fortunate to have a supportive team of medical providers who have always been straight up with me. I don't like things sugar coated but like to know what I'm dealing with. I want to enjoy all the time I have and get as much living in as possible.

• moderators
    edited October 2017
    Options

Hi Stephanotis,

Welcome, and thank you so much for sharing your story here with us!

You have been through a rollercoaster since 2010. We really hope that you continue to share your experiences with others here and that you find valuable support from members while you finish your treatment and beyond.

Gentle hugs

Heart

From the Moderators.

• 53nancy
    53nancy Member Posts: 295
    edited October 2017
    Options

Hello from nancy, in Canada. My "story" started in April 2017 with an abnormal mammogram done by the Breast Screening Mobile Unit in our community. Ten days later I had a second mammogram and was told there were microcalcifications and I had to have a needle biopsy, done on March 24th. That result came back as Probably Benign (after the radiologist reinserted the needle three times) and I was booked to see a surgeon. After that, things slowed down. On July 14th, I had an excisional biopsy which turned into a lumpectomy. It was done under local anaesthetic and was very painful. On August 16th I received my results - High Grade Comedo Type DCIS, and Grade 3 IDC. On September 8th, I was told that I was Triple Negative. I had no idea what it was, though I had been searching on line for what might lie in my future. It was a shock to find out that it is hard to treat. On September 13th, I had an SNL; the surgeon told me beforehand that he expected the nodes to be clear. I was sent to Nuclear Medicine for a scan, then went to surgery and the recovery room nurse told me that the surgeon took one node. On October 12th, I saw the surgeon in his office and he told me that he took three nodes and, pending one more test on a piece of tissue, he could say I was Stage 1, Grade 3, No Node involvement. That pathology report, however, is still pending; I heard this morning it is sitting on the pathologist's desk, waiting for him to sign off on it. I am booked for a Body Bone Scan this Wednesday, and an Abdomen Scan will also be booked, but I was told I may have to wait for two weeks. I see the surgeon again on November 9th to get those results - I hope! That's my story and I'm sticking to it! :):) Just a joke.

When I first started out on this little journey, I had no clue what would be entailed with facing Breast Cancer, though I have done regular self-exams and had mammograms every two years since I was 38 (a lump that turned out to be a fibrocystic change), and I am now 64. I have done a lot of research on line and talking to other people and hearing their experiences, and my eyes have been opened. I have come to realize that so many women are like me; they think it will never happen to them. I have come to realize that the last five years have impacted our lives so much; waiting six months through five cancellations for my husband's heart surgery (we were told constantly he would die without it) five hours away from where we lived; selling our house and moving to a new community six weeks after his double hernia surgery; his sudden 100% hearing loss in one ear this past January; my cancer diagnosis; the loss of our beloved 17 year old cat three weeks after my diagnosis. The picture below was taken last year. It has all taken it's toll.

I admit I am scared about treatment options. I am a diabetic, and I do NOT want to do chemo; I have read and heard so much about side effects and I don't think I can face it. This last year has been the healthiest I've felt in years until I received my diagnosis in August. My husband is ten years older than I am, and we have no children, so part of me just wants to say, "forget the treatment, I'll take my chances". But there is a little ray of hope that perhaps there is a treatment that will have fewer side effects. I have found very little current information about TNBC, and I have been encouraged to think that there might be better options. So I will meet with an Oncology Team - I would think late November into December, I hope! Someone told me recently, speaking from her own experience, that it is said that from first suspicion to end of treatment, it takes two years, so I have no doubt we have a long road ahead of us.

• 53nancy
    edited October 2017
    Options

VL22, it looks like our diagnoses are similar; I have put Stage 1 on my profile, because I wasn't sure; the surgeon didn't specify and I just went by the Cancer Staging protocol. I love your spirit of determination to get through, and being nicer to those who are nice. I had a lot of support when I first got my diagnosis, but it does bother me that my close family has not contacted me in several weeks. I can't let it bother me. I will just do the best I can; My motto is: one step, one day at a time. Take care and good luck through your chemo course.

• 53nancy
    edited October 2017
    Options

Well, I got my SNL pathology report and Bone Scan results today. All nodes are clear, and Bone Scan does not show metastases in the bones, but does show osteoarthritis in the spine, shoulders, elbows, wrists, hips, knees and feet. I am not sure what scares me worse ; the cancer - which so far is not shown to have metastasized depending on the abdominal scan on Monday, or the osteoarthritis. It feels like I have been hit with a double whammy.

• Hariry
    Hariry Member Posts: 100
    edited December 2017
    Options

Hi Nancy,

It has been two months since your last post. How are you keeping? I hope things go well with you. I'm sorry to hear that some of your members were not too supportive. I'm sure they care about you... some ppl just don't know how to express their affection.

Our diagnosis is similar. I'm 41 and mother of four. I'm alright in terms of physical health therefore my onc recommended a 3rd regime of chemo for me. The first went in, AC... 3 to go, then weekly Taxol.

There are thousands(or more) of survivors of tn out there, without chemo. Be positive. Furthermore you need also to take care of your hubby.

All my best wishes,

• 53nancy
    edited December 2017
    Options

Hariry, it's been a while since I was here. I finished rads on Tuesday, Dec. 12 and am having no skin issues except somei itching. I am feeling quite positive these days and am looking forward to moving ahead Hope you are well

• Hariry
    Hariry Member Posts: 100
    edited December 2017
    Options

Nancy, good to know that you are well. Did you go through chemo anyway? Or just RT?

I'm still suffering from the SE of chemo. Holding up. But I know I'll get through this.