Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Anyone starting chemo August 2016?

Comments

• Hopefloatsinyyc
    Hopefloatsinyyc Member Posts: 97

kechla- I did it the entire time... Especially mouth! I didn't have taxanes (Taxotere)and still found it important!

• I had my lumpectomy and level one lymphadenectomy Monday.  By evening, tremendous pain, chalked it up to the long bumpy ride home.  All day Tuesday I screamed every time I moved my arm.  I have the painful type of paresthesia throughout the back of my arm, from the axilla to the elbow, and also the muscle called the latissimus dorsi, which is just in back of the axilla.  They are numb to the touch, but alive with a burning pain I could not handle.  I had to sit absolutely still all day, but of course that is impossible.  Dressing with help, bathing, toileting, and emptying the drain all require movement.  I did not expect to have a drain; the nurse even crossed out the instructions for drain care on my post-op instructions.  (The drain doesn't hurt at all and saves me from having a seroma, which is sort of like a hematoma, except it is serous fluid, not blood.)  My husband did all he could do to help, but was frustrated, especially when I could not help but scream.  I mean a horror-movie kind of scream, as loud and as horrible a sound as you can imagine. I have never screamed like that in my life! I was hoarse when I got up this morning.  After 3 or 4 minutes, the burning would stop.  I was taking 2 Percocet tablets plus 3 ibuprofen tablets at a time, and it did little for me.  I added an Ativan tablet at bedtime, and I did sleep as I was completely exhausted.  Today, Hubs had to back to work, and I woke up MUCH better this morning.  I dressed myself, and have fed myself.  I STRONGLY advise you to have a small pillow to tuck under you arm.  It is a real necessity.  The back of my arm is still numb but that awful burning is gone.  I am very tired, and took a nap just before noon only to be awakened by a neighbor who decided to get her Yorkie a kiddie pool to play in today.  The dog is about 15 feet from my bedroom window - bark, bark, bark - overly excited - wakes me up, now very unhappy and in pain.  Took some more Percocet, asked the neighbor to not do that today, and she took it all inside, looking miffed.  I texted my Hubs - "Oh, Honey, let's buy Pookie a kiddie pool today and put it close to our neighbor's room, and let her bark because she's just SO EXCITED to have her very own baby pool!"  The dog's bark is more like a squeaky toy - high pitched and annoying to the ear.  I could hear Hubs groan from across town.  Or, more likely that was me.  These are the noisiest neighbors we've ever had in nearly 50 years of marriage.  We plan to move in the spring.  I'll tell you where further on.......

I would hardly know I have a long scar on my breast, as it is not bothering me at all.  I am so relieved that size and shape wise, it is blessedly normal looking.  He glued all my incisions together so my skin looks funny, but I can shower because there are no sutures.  He also removed a skin lesion I've had for years that bothered me, so there's a third scar.  The axillary scar shocked me at its length.  He only took a few nodes, he said, and I wonder if he trimmed my toenails while he was in there, LOL!  I will get the pathology report Friday or Monday. 

I know the scarring would have been much less if I had gone through chemo to shrink the tumor and node first, but I simply could not face the rigors of chemo and the risk of any of the adverse effects becoming permanent.  I will not complain about scarring, and I am more content now that the tumor and lymph nodes are gone.  I've never worn a bikini anyway, and I'm too old to be vain about these scars which won't ever see the light of day. 

I sincerely hope that ya'll are having a better week so far, and I will continue to get better by leaps and bounds I'm sure, and I'm hoping you will, too.  AnnieTator - I'm so sorry you had such a difficult time with diarrhea - I hope that's the end of it.  Hope - hurray for you getting whatever wig or wigs make you feel confident - it made me happy for just the one evening I had some to try on, and I am happy for you!  Dara, you're doing such a fabulous job of keeping track of everyone - you are just wonderful!  Thank you!  It is difficult for me to keep track of all, but please know I am thinking of you and wishing you the very best, and the fewest SEs for everyone! 

Lisbeth - How shockingly awful that you were so abused by any nurse!  It infuriated me to read how you were treated!  She should be reported, and I hope you do!  She has no business working with cancer patients in particular, but probably shouldn't even be a nurse at all!  I SO wish you could be using my cancer center - UF Health Orlando Breast Cancer Center.  (UF = they are affiliated with the University of Florida and its research center and medical school) They've been voted by women patients as the number one center in the US for the past two years.  No nurse or anyone else there would ever treat you the way your nurse is treating you!  From janitors and cafeteria workers to department head surgeons, everyone is ultra kind and gentle, and goes out of their way to take us wherever we need to go.  We are all pampered, every minute we are there.  After our chemo class, our group all agreed we felt we are wrapped in a warm blanket and have every need or desire met from the minute we walk in the door to the minute we leave.  Our nurses all have master's degrees and extra training in oncology on top of that.  They have every support service you can think of, and all are absolutely free.  I think they just LOVE us into good health!  I'm an R.N. of 42 years, and I've never seen anything like this breathtakingly beautiful center anywhere in my life!  (By beautiful I mean the people, but the physical structure is also very beautiful.)  So, this is where I want to move, so that I can be a volunteer at this phenomenal place someday.  I know I want to sew some beautiful chemo/radiation shirts and hats for breast cancer patients, but I also would love to work there as a volunteer.  As I have always tried to do as a nurse, I want to comfort, and teach, and be an advocate.  My surgeon dad told me on my graduation to "Comfort many, cure some, help all".  I'm not through yet. 

• Kz1966
    Kz1966 Member Posts: 40

Well I was nervous this morning but first treatment done. I was there for about 4 hours. The port worked great!

I did the ice chips so hopefully no sores. The only thing I used from my bag was my drink lol. I could tell I was the newbie, no one else brought a bag lol. I sat near a window that had a bird feeder so I had a nice view.

My MO said I'll probably feel some SE starting tomorrow night. Mainly fatigue.

Came home and took a nap.

1 down 3 to go of A/C.

Thanks for everyone's support!

• WenchLori
    WenchLori Member Posts: 1,027

Hi, everyone.

Sorry I've been MIA also. This second round really took the wind out of my sails! I've been weak, shaky and exhausted for the past 3 days. I'm finally coming around and feeling better. I know I allowed myself to get dehydrated as I just couldn't drink anything! I asked my hubby to pick up some OJ and he comes back with Sunny D. That's not OJ!! LOL but he's learning.

I came up with a way to disguise what I'm drinking and so far it's working. I love tequila sunrises, so I take my OJ and mix some grenadine in and now it's a non-alcoholic breverage, 7&7 Sprite with a splash of ginger ale. Virgin strawberry margarita/daqs etc As long as my confused chemo brain doesn't catch on I'm golden! I'm a firm believer that water really does rust your pipes!

As for driving yourself to your treatments?My MO says no but the girls at the cancer clinic say yes. I'd prefer my hubby be there but with the long weekend coming up I'll have to drive myself on 9/6. No way around it. The reason I like my hubby there is he takes me to breakfast while they are waiting on the blood test results. That's an hour and a half I'm not locked up in that place. It gives me space to sit quietly with my food and coffee and get my prayers said before being pumped full with toxic chemicals lol

Gross Alert! I think I remember someone mentioning how hard this process was on our tops and our bottoms? I'm telling you! I've never had a problem down there but I've got one now! Just the thought of the waste process makes my backside throb! I didn't want to take the time today and make the 15 minute drive into town to get some Preperation H but I will tomorrow!! OUCHIWAWA!!

My hubby buzzed my head for me on Sunday night. I couldn't handle looking like the possum that lost the fight any longer! All he said when he was done was "There's my beautiful Chemo Babe!"

!!!!WARNING!!!

• Hopefloatsinyyc

Lori I love your idea of mocktails!!

So sorry you are struggling this round... But your humor and outlook is still strong!

You look amazing! Your hubby is right! Chemo babe indeed! Perfectly shaped head and your eyes are so pretty! Rock it!

• WenchLori
    WenchLori Member Posts: 1,027

I still need to go back thru 2 or 3 pages! Oh my goodness!

I just wanted to comment on the vitamin D thread... My vitamin D is waaay to high and I was told to hold off for a bit. I'm that person that if it works for everyone else it won't work for me and here I am lol

I've read before about not taking vitamin C while having radiation but not for chemo? Or I could have that backwards? They give me tons of orange juice to drink during my infusions. Hhhmmmm

Back to my reading

BBL😊😊😊

• darab
    darab Member Posts: 894

Hope, I think it's awesome that you have gotten 3 wigs! I'll see how it goes with my two synthetic ones and may break down and get a human hair one. I figure with as slow as my hair grows, I"m looking at a year to 18 months before I can use my own hair. I did buy one online... I think I mentioned the Christie Brinkley one??? Yea, wrong star. It came yesterday and I eagerly opened the box. No Christie Brinkley there, it was more like Tina Turner! I had ordered a medium brown with golden highlights... it was ORANGE and when I tried it on, it stuck up like Tina's used to. And sorry, Proud Mary I am not!!! I cracked up and put it back in the box and will ship it back tomorrow. I think I need to try them on and see the color. I've gotten two at a wig store for about $300 each but they are synthetic. They look pretty good and they are more my regular style so I'm hoping they'll work out ok.

Well, I did it today, buzzed the old head. I thought it would be more traumatic, but I sat in the chair and my hairdresser was so sweet and asked if I wanted her to turn me away from the mirror. I said no just go for it. It didn't upset me like I thought it would and afterwards I looked at the hair on the floor and though, boy is that all there was? Then I plopped the wig back on and walked out feeling the same. I think sometimes it's harder for those who love us. I just figured that it's the next step in the process.

Hope ajbclan and kz that all continues to go well!

Kechla, I'm not sure about the icing so figure I may just suck on ice the whole time.

Hope all are having a great day. Dara

• ajbclan
    ajbclan Member Posts: 396

Trying to catch up and scroll! First off, my treatment went fine. I was feeling good after, made a casserole, went to my 13 year old's volleyball practice and the her Dr's appt. I'm now in that waiting game of "what will my body do" with this. Swishing my mouth with the Biotine mouthwash, drinking so much water (the nurse warned it may taste bad soon). A friend said she read that eating peanut butter took the metal taste away- hey whatever works I'm open....but so far so good.

Candy girl & KZ1966- you're right- I brought a bunch of stuff, but basically just looked at my laptop, drank my water and a small Perrier, and I ate a snack bag of pretzels. Used a blanket, beanie on my head (I realized my ears are now cold a lot- no long hair to cover them!), and a jacket (and ICE). KZ1966- jealous you only have 4!! I have 6- but one down is all that matters.

Fireheart- love the idea of the spiky hair!!

Kechla- I didn't do the hands or feet- I think I'd freeze, so I just did the ice chips when the put the chemo in. To give you an idea- for me, they did bendryl and steroid first (think that was an hour), then 1 chemo drug for an hour, and then another for over 30 min. It went fast- then they just did a quick flush and I was done. I really hydrated well the days, and am before, and probably had a talented nurse so IV went in fine. I have the Nuelesta on my belly....took about 3 min and then when it beeped the nurse said ok you'll feel a pinch soon- it made a little noise that made me jump more than the actual prick.

Unwilling- your experience sounds beyond awful! I'm so sorry you had to deal with that at all....geez! Glad you're out of the painful woods now.

Lori- love your photo!! Of course I won't want to hear it, but you look great without the hair! I really think that (or I'd just avoid the topic all together lol). I'm going to have to try a mocktail- it's a great idea...they don't come out and tell you not to drink- a beer sounds good to me right now, or a glass of wine lol. But I'm guessing it's not part of the hydrating plan.

Dara- I love your stories!! Thanks for sharing- you guys give me hope for dealing with the bald stage to come and I'm sure quickly now. Oh- I was able to tell TWO people today that I had cancer without crying! Progress lol! The first one I couldn't add the word "breast", but at my daughters dr's office I know she was checking out my short hair, so told her. I said next time I'll see you I'll be bald.

I just shared on one of the other boards I follow for IDC diagnoses (but I don't look at it often)- said I found a wonderful group here!! Thanks everyone- Kechla and Sweetrain- looks like you're up for tomorrow....no luck needed you'll do fine! and get to scratch one treatment off! Keep us posted on how it's going.

Have a great night everyone.....

• Kz1966

Any idea when food/water starts tasting bad? I know hair starts to come out between day 14 & 18 for the most part. Is there a number of days for food?

Thanks!

• Hopefloatsinyyc

KZ... For me it was almost immediate (later that night probably 12hrs post chemo where I lost taste and everything tasted like fish or metal... But I got my taste buds back 4 days later. I've been told however that with each round, it gets worse and I may lose them til the end of treatment.

• fireheart438
    fireheart438 Member Posts: 85

So many posts I can hardly ever keep up. I love reading everyone's stories. You ladies make me laugh, and I need that.

Dara - Adore you in your hat in your profile pic. You have the most beautiful smile.

Lori - You ROCK the buzzed look. Funny about your hubby brining home the Sunny D. That's the kind of thing my DH would do. Maybe we're married to twin sons of different mother?

Unwilling - So glad you posted. You have been on my heart. I think you will be the most amazing volunteer once you get through all this. You already encourage all of us. Never forget you are loved!

Ajbclan - I like the knitted hat. I see some of those online but I'm the kind of person who gets itchy from the littlest irritation. Wonder if my future bald head would like those or not. Glad to see you were able to smile for your pic.

For those who are my sisters in experiencing "bottom problems"...I feel your pain. *sigh*

Heading off to a busy day at work. Sending love to all. I would be lost without this support group. Hugs!

• darab
    darab Member Posts: 894

abjclan, such an adorable picture! Your smile is infectious. and you already look adorable in the hat so don't give hair a second thought.

Lori, I agree, you look awesome. You have the best shaped head! :-) I have kind of a small head so need something to poof it up! LOL.

Re Vitamin C, I don't think anything we get in food, like orange juice, is bad. I think my MO basically warned against taking extra supplements like Vitamin C. They say we can never overdose when the source is coming from real food. And maybe just vary the drinks if you like oj. I find I sprinkle in a little crystal like just to take the edge off the water taste. And I always needs lots of ice.

My taste buds got weird on about day 3, were totally non-existen days 4-7, and then slowly started coming back. I know they aren't completely normal, foods just don't have quite as much flavor, and I seem to want to add more salt to dishes. My bloodworm keeps showing low sodium levels so I'm not going to worry about it.

Fire, hope the start to the year is smooth. I know kids always have so many issues with devices when they first start up. Keep that sanitizer handy!

Off this morning to get a new blow torch for jewelry that a friend ordered for me. So excited! Just think of all the trouble I could get into with a torch! Have a great day all. Hope SEs are few and strength, joy and love are high!

Heart

• Jiffrig
    Jiffrig Member Posts: 158

Dara, adorable picture! If I looked that good in a hat, I would be putting a block of ice on my head for every infusion. 👌

• Jiffrig
    Jiffrig Member Posts: 158

meant to say " would NOT be putting ice on my head

• ajbclan

So weird "waiting" and trying to anticipate the side affects, almost a mental game, but I am feeling tired this am. I do a little and then back to the couch. Hope everyone is having a great day- I'm impressed with all of those working through this!

• kechla
    kechla Member Posts: 181

So... No chemo treatment for me today. Veins would not cooperate. Instead went to the hospital for a picc line. Rescheduled for tomorrow

• ajbclan

Bummer Kechla- but glad you don't have too much of a delay. I drank a smoothie, things aren't tasting quite right, but it's fine so far. Was super tired earlier, but I've been out gardening- taking a break so I don't sweat my neulesta kit off my belly haha.

• Kz1966

Ajbclan - I did manage to work all day. Still at work lol. I feel a little tired today. I had my neulesta shot today and taking the Claritin did help. No effects yet.

Crossing my fingers.

Have a great day everyone!

• Leydi
    Leydi Member Posts: 53

New to this thread - I held off because my first chemo infusion is scheduled for August 31 (wow, just barely made the July surgery thread and now barely squeaking into the August chemo thread!) and it looked like it might be delayed because one of my drains had grand illusions of being a fire hose. It was yanked yesterday despite still being fire-hosey so now my BS expects that I'll swell up like a water balloon and have to report to him regularly for needle aspirations. Thanks, doc!

I have several questions/comments and would appreciate feedback from some of you who are a bit ahead of me in this journey.

1. The silliest one first, perhaps, but if a chemotherapy session can last for several hours and we are supposed to hydrate, hydrate, hydrate, is there any difficulty in using the bathroom facilities during treatment? I mean, do they have to stop the IV, disconnect you, let you go, reconnect you, re-start the IV? Ugh. I'm picturing myself sitting there suffering with an overfull bladder just to not cause extra trouble asking to pee every hour. I have a port if that makes any difference.

2. I'm planning on buzzing the hair. I just think that will be less traumatic for me, personally, than losing longer hair in handfuls, or trying to ice my scalp and still potentially losing patches. I'm trying to decide if it is better, emotionally, to do it the day before first treatment or to wait and do it sometime between treatment 1 and 2. I already cut my very long hair above the shoulder before surgery. I've told my husband for years that if I ever lost my hair (wasn't thinking cancer at the time) that I wasn't wearing a wig. We've already been to the local biker shop and I picked out some do-rags. One is a colorful very soft knit cotton which I suspect will quickly become my favorite.

3. I see that some folks advocate eating ice chips during infusion to help prevent mouth sores. Does it need to be ice chips or just anything frozen? I'm thinking about bringing sugar-free frozen lemonade. Any reason this wouldn't work just as well? Would this be during both A and C infusions or is one more important than the other? Does the mouth have to be kept ice cold. . .are you giving yourself ice cream headaches?

4. Every chemo packing list includes a blanket. Is it the treatment itself that makes you cold or are the infusion rooms located in meat lockers? Or maybe it is all those ice chips.

5. I apologize in advance if this one is already discussed, I have read through several pages here but have yet to make it through the entire thread. Is everyone receiving Neulasta participating in the First Step Co-Pay Coupon Program? My MO office called me to ask permission to sign me up. It reduces the co-payment for Neulasta for anyone with private insurance to $25. Of course I replied "yes, please." Otherwise, I'd owe 20% of the several thousand dollars per Neulasta shot.

Ok, there's more but that's enough to be getting on with.

Leydi

• Hopefloatsinyyc

welcome Leydi! Others will reply but here is my imput..

1) bathroom breaks... Super easy. I would go before your "A" since, in my case, this is "pushed" in by a nurse who sits next to you during this portion and she would need to stop to allow you to pee.... But once your "C" is started, you can simply wheel your IV tower into the bathroom with you!

2) hair- totally personal decision. For me, I want to hang on to my long hair as long as possible, so I scheduled my shave for day 18 after first chemo (consensus says you start losing between day 14-17... Which for me happens over a long weekend and my shop is closed, so 18 days it is!

3) frozen Popsicles are sometimes used, so it doesn't need to be ice chips, but I fear a slush may not be cold enough. It wasn't so bad doing the ice (I also did fingers and toes and the shock only lasted for the first minute, after that it was no problem,.)... I would probably opt for something solid ice during your infusion.... Mouth sores are one of the biggest "pains" in SE and I'd hate for you to use a slush and it not work!

4) blankets... My centre provides heated blankets that are so cozy, so no need to pack one! I'd check at your chemo class if these are offered at your location!

5) as for Nulasta, I'm in Canada so different answer I'm sure. I'm not offered it unless blood tests show I need it. That being said, my 20% copay from my employee prescription plan is waived by my cancer centre which has an alternate coverage for the copay amount because of the cost if needed.

I would also suggest you join the September group as well as our August group... That way you can be within a day or two (likely) with others whose first infusion is close to yours!

• fireheart438

Dara - Blow torch, huh? Maybe it's good you don't have much hair. Less of a fire hazard. Thanks for the good wishes for the start of the school year. I think you asked me previously what grade level I worked with. I started at the middle school 21 + years ago as an aide in the learning support classroom. Gradually my position became more tech-centered, and I officially became part of our district's tech department last June. I split my day between our middle school and two elementaries and also back up my colleague who services the high school. I never thought I'd be changing careers at 50, but our 20-something hardware specialist took me under his wing over a few summers when I worked as extra help and the rest is history. With the elementary kiddos I am mostly handling their devices and am able to limit my direct contact with them if needed. I have become a hand sanitizer addict and keep a stock of gloves, masks, Lysol wipes, and alcohol wipes on hand. The staff at all the buildings know what I'm going through and they all have my back. Our middle school secretary is making a regular practice of sanitizing the door knobs I touch frequently. Can't say enough about the amazing support I have felt from everyone. Saw a little kindergarten boy with a mohawk today and gave him a wink and a thumbs up. He just smiled. Of course maybe that's because he was happy that it was dismissal.

ajbclan - I know what you mean about the mind game. Every little ache or throat tickle I have I find myself trying to decide if it's the start of some SE.

Kechla - Sorry to hear today's infusion was cancelled, but I think you will be glad to have the PICC line in the long run. Will be praying for you tomorrow.

Leydi - Welcome to this thread! Hopefloats did a great job of answering your questions already.

• I will concur that bathroom trips are easy. I just tell the nurse that I have to take my boyfriend (what I call my IV tower) for a date down the hall. Last week somehow I did manage to do something that made the infusion stop. The infernal machine then beeps to let the whole world know. I was finishing up and washing my hands feverishly hoping no one would be banging on the door to check if I was alright. They just got me restarted when I got back to my chair.
    • I felt the same as you about buzzing my hair in advance. Decided to go part way and do a little mohawk. Am actually having a lot of fun with it and may just work it as log as it still looks good. And since I'm not sure it ever looked all that flattering, maybe I can get pretty much mileage out of it. But as soon as it's scraggly, I'll be pulling out the trimmers. I think too that doing something early allows you to feel control and get accustomed to your new look before it's a shock to your system.
    • When it comes to the blankets, definitely check with your treatment center as to what they supply and what they have for you to do. You might be able to get a little tour of it as well. It's nice to see it in advance. I would say that you can't overpack that first infusion. Better to have things you decide you don't need any more than to wish you'd brought something. I'm always chilly, and if I had dressed for the outside temps my first time I would still be there thawing out.

Well, tomorrow is my first afternoon infusion. I'll be working in the morning and then leaving right before lunch for the cancer center. It's nice not to lose a full day of work. Just hope I remember to pack my lidocaine cream and saran wrap.

Wishing all a wonderful evening and sweet dreams.

• ajbclan

Dara- thanks for the sweet note- I'm not much for selfies at all! Your pic is great by the way!

I ended up getting a second wind and did a bunch of gardening, cleaned the kitchen up, and laundry. I thought my Nuelesta would go off at 215, but by 230 I had to head up and pick my daughter up from school- of course while I'm driving it starts and I can't check it until I got there, but went fine- so that's now done.

Leydi- the office where I got my chemo was cold- so I picked a spot away from a vent and near a window. They had blankets, but brought my own along with a beanie. I chopped my long hair down to a Pixie cut. A week into the cut now I'm used to it so I'm glad I made this transition- hoping the next shave will not be as traumatic (ha!). I brought my own ice chips, I'm not getting that AC drug, so I was able to hit the bathroom fine- just had to learn how to "dance" with the IV- laughed by myself in the bathroom Loopy.

One question- has everyone had surgery already? I'm doing 6 chemo treatments first, then surgery. Just curious if anyone else is backwards like me.

• bebshart
    bebshart Member Posts: 1

I have stage 4 Matestic breast cancer after 14 years of being cancer free. I have been taking the home chemo in pill form (Capecitabine) I just had my 2nd bone scan and the cancer is stable which my Dr. said is a real victory. Only posted this to say that after only a few days, my taste buds were totally messed up and everything tasted blah. My oncologist pharmacist told me to use biotene dry mouth oral rinse 3 or 4 times a day. It really worked and now I can taste everything.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,430

Hi Bebshart-

Welcome to BCO! We're glad you've joined our community, we hope you find the support you need here. That's great news about the Biotene! It's always so nice to hear from members who've has success with something, especially if it could be helpful to other members of the community.

If you'd like to connect with other stage 4 members, check out the stage 4 forum, which you can find here: https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/8.

Thanks, and again, welcome!

The Mods

• CandyHB
    CandyHB Member Posts: 7

Hi Everyone,

It's late, going on midnight but I want to be really tired before I go to bed so I don't toss and turn. First chemo tomorrow but I don't have to be there until 11:30. I'm not an early bird.

I am enjoying reading everyone's posts and appreciate all of the suggestions. You are all so positive which is encouraging. I never thought about what I would do if I got cancer. It came on suddenly. In June I felt a lump and knew I had to see the doctor. The radiologist and ultrasound technician both kind of gave it away. The radiologist said I had something "suspicious" and the technician said that life didn't stop because someone has cancer. She was very supportive and listened to me and I cried a little. I don't want to sound like a whiner; it's just that this is a lot to take in.

Thank you for your support.

• sensitivehrt
    sensitivehrt Member Posts: 310

Ok ladies II've been MIA myself. Lurked a few times, just haven't been posting.  I'm at least 5 pages behind.  I'm going to try and catch up here, if I miss anyone I'm sorry.  Last I remember a few people were trying to send me on a trip/vacation ;)  Don't have anything planned soon, but actually just booked a vacation for next July with a group of friends.. 

Mfalabella-thank you for starting this thread and I'm glad you still are following along.  Wel'll be rooting for you in September

Unwilling-good thoughts being sent your way.  Not an easy decision, but I'm glad you are happy and at peace with yourself.  It is what is most important.

Wenchie-Meltdowns are good, you had one a while back. Glad your second infusion went well, but I'm sorry it knocked the wind out of your sails.  Your head looks a lot like mine now. You look great.

Ashley-Pinkjelly-Jiffring-Sherri-sweetrain-jandjmom and all other newbies. Welcome

Annie-you are amazing and strong. pregnant and doing chemo!!

Pinkjelly-so awesome your whole family took the day off to go to your first chemo with you.

Dara-I'm glad your energy is back up. Humor is great.  It's how I deal with stuff too. Thumbs up for cheating on eating.  I hope you enjoyed your chocolate moose.

Lisbeth-welcome. I'm doing TC as well. Had my first infusion on August 10th and am do for my second on the 31st.  Hope your first infusion went well today.

Erdie-sorry cold capping did not work for you, but am glad that you are feeling better now.

Good luck to all who are having their first chemo tomorrow.  Sorry if I missed anyone.  Will try and keep up more, though am going out of town overnight with my sister tomorrow to a friends cabin. Maybe that's the trip everyone was trying to send me on ;)

As for me, I'm on day 15 of first infusion.  My worse day was probably day 7 and then 10 thru 13/14 have been rough.  I ended up with a small mouth infection which I am now taking antibiotics for.  A little nervous for round 2.  Dental care is important.  I had gotten dental shy after some bad experience and did not go to dentist last year and then this year BC took over. I've had no mouth issues, but apparently I have plaque and tartar build up (sorry if TMI).  Well when my immune system dropped, it allowed that nasty bacteria create a small infection.  Thank god I had Norco left over from my bmx.  Waiting to hear how we are going to approach this.  Put my new dentist who I found this Tues in touch with MO wo see if I can do any sort of work, just need a deep cleaning. No cavities or root canals needed. But we aren't even suppose to floss.  Will be interested in seeing what happens. Lesson learned. Take care of your teeth.

• sensitivehrt
    sensitivehrt Member Posts: 310

imageso my hair started to fall out on day 11. My fried shaved it for me and then this is after two more days.. Can't wait for the rest of the fuzz to come out. I purchase head buffs off of amazon. Supe cheap and great way to cover it up. Hundreds of different buffs. I can post pics of those tomorrow if anyone want

• Kz1966

Good Morning all-

Had my treatment Wednesday and so far feeling pretty good. Worked 8 a.m. - 6 p.m. yesterday. I had a little headache and felt a little tired but nothing that sent me home. I did fall asleep at 8 last night. Woke up at 9;30 for a snack and went to bed. Now I'm up at 3:30 lol. So i'll just start my work day earlier and get to leave earlier. As others, I'm waiting for "it" to happen. Feeling sick and can't move kind of stuff. Maybe tomorrow? Maybe not this round. Dr. did say the fatigue will hit harder on the next one. I'm taking my claritan to help with Nulesta and so far so good. My BRCA results are in so have an appointment next Tuesday. They had an opening today to go over them but I thought I'd be wiped out today so didn't set that one up. Why they don't just tell me over the phone, is beyond me. I may be thinking the wrong way, but it's just another bill to pay!!. Makes me think it's positive, otherwise why not say it's negative over the phone. I overthink a lot. Sometimes my overthinking has proved me right. I found the lump, and just knew and here I am.

Hope everyone has a great day! One day at a time!

• Kz1966

ajbclan- I am doing chemo first then surgery and then radiation.

• fireheart438

Candy - I'll be at my infusion this afternoon as will. Will be thinking of you and looking forward to hearing how it went.

KZ - I've been working through treatments as well. Like you, I keep waiting for SEs to be more intense. Feel blessed that the worst thing I am dealing with right now is some God awful constipation and it's consequences. Stay strong and positive.

Off to a half day work and then infusion. Happy Friday all!