Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Who is starting chemo in September 2016?

Options

Comments

• vlh
    vlh Member Posts: 768
    Options

Darn! I'm sorry, Michelle. I hope you can figure out an alternative. It's terrible that financial issues should add to our challenge.

The new antibiotic is finally making some progress on this blasted seroma infection. Assuming insurance will pay for it, the molecular test to try to pin down the HER2 conflict will take a couple of weeks. Some studies suggest a poorer outcome if chemo starts 90 days after surgery so I think we should both still be OK.

• MFalabella
    MFalabella Member Posts: 105
    Options

I have been off work due to other health problems before my cancer diagnosis. I don't have FMLA to fall back on, and it will be hard to even work part time with the way this scheduling is going. THanks though.

xoxoMichelle

• nayda985
    nayda985 Member Posts: 270
    Options

👌 well... I apologize I didn't know the full picture of what's going on....your right about the scheduling... I had to take this week off b/c I had four appointments this week...the breast center provided a financial consultant to me and my hubby... He talked about that financial assistance paperwork... And he was like there were other places like the cancer society and the Red Cross that can help with the hospital bills. I hope you have a better day today lady💞

• misslil
    misslil Member Posts: 229
    Options

That sounds tough Michelle, I hope someone can advise you on ways to get through it.

".....i slept like a
    baby...lol misslil they told me to leave the large white pad on the port site
    for five days....are you describing the red area around the port? sorry thats
    happening. it's just my shoulder and neck giving me a fit."

I'm not sure. It's a large red area a couple of inches wide and almost 7" long, with some bright blue veins lit up below that. it doesn't particularly hurt but it looks like a 4th of July celebration gone crazy.  I see one of the doctors Monday, will ask if it hasn't faded out by then.

• SGDsmama
    SGDsmama Member Posts: 12
    Options

Good afternoon, ladies, I hope everyone is having a restful Saturday unoccupied by appointments, scans, tests, and all the rest!

Genetic counseling was as expected on Thursday, thankfully they went ahead and did the blood draw for that at the same time - should have results from that in 2-4 weeks, which is fine since it won't change my course of action on chemo, just on surgery in the spring. Chemo class was also as expected, nothing I didn't already know myself.

I have an EKG on Monday, then on Wednesday (probably) my friend's daughter, who is a newly licensed cosmetologist, is coming to the house to chop off my hair. It's a little longer than shoulder length now (this is after cutting 12 inches off in December, ironically enough, to donate) and we're going pixie. Maybe dye the ends purple. We'll see.

I'm sorry some of you are having port issues! I had my port in the same time as my sentinel lymph node biopsy, so I was totally under and had 0 issues. The port side healed faster than the lymph node side! The port side is uncomfortable under my seat belt if the scar is exposed, but one of the things I got at chemo class was a seat belt pillow made by some local middle schoolers. I continue to be amazed by the thoughtfulness of others, even though it was something that I kind of knew about prior to diagnosis. Being in the middle of it is a whole different story.

Happy weekend, lovies!

• nayda985
    Options

Happy weekend:)

Any tips on what to pack for chemo day? I don't know know what to pack.. Lol... Gonna search this site for some tips.

• SGDsmama
    Options

Just a notebook, really. We watched a 20 minute video and talked with two nurses about what to expect. Got a boatload of literature. And a script for Zofran and Compazine. SickTired

• nayda985
    Options

lol...not chemo class..i had that on wednesday...though they did not show me a video...it was a pharmacist just going everything....i did receive a "boatload of literature"....i have my first infusion on the 26th..and i don't know what to pack.

• MFalabella
    Options

Nayda, here is a link I found from the chemo main page you may find useful.

https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/69/topics/706846?page=58#idx_1724

• nayda985
    Options

Thx MFalabella

That is exactly what I needed😀

• Shopgal2
    Shopgal2 Member Posts: 594
    Options

hey gals the chemo tips thread is helpful but I wouldn't over pack. I took a lot with my first chemo then wound up not using a lot. After the first one you will know what you need. I usually packed a small tote with my Gatorade, iPad, and blanket. And most imp to bring with is a chemo buddy who will keep you company. My hospital had soda, juices, sandwiches, and small snacks for patients. Mostly I drank my Gatorade during and made sure I ate during my premeds. My center also had tvs in each infusion bay. During adriamycin I sucked on ice chips, rested during cytoxin infusions, and was knocked out asleep during the 3 hr dose dense taxol infusions. Sometimes it was a long day with dr visits and bloods draws before the actual infusions, plus waiting for labs to get back. And afterwards getting setup with the neulesta pods. Just pace yourselves and take it one chemo at a time.

• nayda985
    Options

thnx Shopgal

my A/C treatment will be 4 hoursSad....knowing me i will watch hulu and netflix or read a book and fall asleep...i get sleep every time i can...i have an active household..so i guess i will enjoy the quiet..lol...well scratch that..my first treatment my hubby wants to come..so he will talk my head off and have me laughing in the infusion room..so no sleep the first infusion day.

Back to work this week...i have one co-worker who gets on my nerves..she is one of the pharmacists i work with.i had to tell her and the pharmacy mgr my situation and my mgr was cool...he was like let me know what you need...and he was going to respect my privacy..if i want to talk about whats going on with him thats fine and if i don't want to thats fine..he just need to know when i need to be off...the other pharmacist is nerveracking...she asking me 100 questions and telling me that i won't be able to work during chemo and why havent i decided to take off during chemo...i finally had to tell her off..i asked her have she had chemo....or stage 3 bc...she looked dumb and was silent...i told her she is only thinking about herself and she needs to mind her businesses and she is not the mgr...after that she kept apologizing and said she too will respect my privacy and decisions on whether to work or not...so i go back to work tmrw with this crazy lady..hope she is really going to respect my wishes and not bother me. thanx for letting me rant..lol

Happy Sunday Everyone!

• SGDsmama
    Options

Sorry Nayda, I can't read! Looks like these gals got you covered though. I'm probably just going to take some Gatorade and my iPad. I'm saving the new Harry Potter book/screenplay for chemo. Smile

The infusion center has about anything else I want or need. And my husband, on days he's not with me will be about 3 miles away so I can put him to work, ha!

• tanyam
    tanyam Member Posts: 4
    Options

Hi MF, I start mine on Sept 2 as well.

• MFalabella
    Options

Tanyam, What kind of chemo are you having?? I am having AC first then Taxol

xoxoMichelle

• nayda985
    Options

I know this is a crazy question...but what does the Gatorade help with during infusion?

• MFalabella
    Options

Nyda, just for hydration, something with flavor

xoxoMichelle

• nayda985
    Options

ohhh okay...cool beans...will be bringing a bottle also

• MFalabella
    Options

Nayda, me too, along with a bottle of water and some preggy pops

xoxoMichelle

• nayda985
    Options

now catch me up on what preggy pops are M.. Lol... You know I'm a newbie

• MFalabella
    Options

Nayda, they are candies made for pregnant women with morning sickness, and are great for chemo too. Here is the info to get a free box:

Three Lollies will send those currently in treatment (in the U.S. only) a FREE box of Queasy Pops or drops to help stave off the nausea and dry mouth that often come with chemo. To get a box, email info@preggiepop.com and say you heard about them on BreastCancerFreebies.com.

xoxoMichelle

• MFalabella
    Options

I found a lot of free stuff here,, I am not promoting the page, just wanted to share the freebies with my sisters.

https://breastcancerfreebies.com

• MFalabella
    Options

OH! I almost forgot. I saw the PS today and he said the infection is all gone.Yay! I also was able to get my port appointment \ on the 26th of August, (the day before my birthday) so will be able to start my chemo on September 2nd as planned.

xoxoMichelleHappy

• vlh
    vlh Member Posts: 768
    Options

YAY, MICHELLE!

I'm not quite as lucky. My seroma infection has definitely improved, but not to the extent the surgeon expected. I so wish I hadn't let her drain it.

• nayda985
    Options

Great news M!

• MFalabella
    Options

VLH,and Nayda. Thanks Loves! VLH, I will continue to send up prayers that your infection leaves your poor body alone and goes away, I am just starting to pack my chemo bag. I sure appreciate all of the info on here so I dont over do it. I just got a call from a peer counselor from the American Cancer Society, and I feel 10 pounds lighter, it was so nice to actually speak to another women who has walked in our shoes. I left all my family in Arizona to move to NM near my stepson. So support and prayer are always nice (and necessary). I hope all of you beautiful women are having good days, and for those of you who are not feeling well, I offer gentle hugs,

xoxoMichelle

• nayda985
    Options

yea M i bet that has to be hard not living close to family....sometimes i wished i moved away from mine..but i know i would truly miss them deep down...we all need some kind of support getting through this..i know i do...i am getting very nervous about friday(chemo day)...i feel like its coming too fast..lol...its finna be Wednesday already.

SG...Harry Potter...I bet that will be a great read...i have never read the harry potter books...just watched on t.v...i heard the book is better than the movie.

Miss...what did the dr. say about your port area?

• MFalabella
    Options

Nayda, you MUST read Harry Potter, there is so much the movies left out, it would be a great way to kill time in chemo. I will be praying for you as you start chemo, sister. Blessings and hugs.

xoxoMichelle

• jlkuchyt18
    jlkuchyt18 Member Posts: 1
    Options

Hi ladies. Well, I guess I'm going to be joining you all. I will most likely be starting next week, although I don't have an exact date yet (might actually be August, but close enough, right!?!). I'm actually quite surprised to be here.... my surgeon never mentioned the possibility of chemo! After my surgery, she talked about hormone therapy, but that was it. I had an appointment with my oncologist 3 weeks post-op and when he started talking about the oncotype testing, my heart sank. I really thought I was out of the woods. I just got my test results on Monday, high intermediate, but he did make the recommendation for chemo. So, here I am! I don't know a lot yet, but that he wants to get me going very soon, since as of today, I am 5 weeks post-op. I'm not sure of the "cocktail", just that I will have a total of 4 treatments, 1 every 21 days. No port, we're going with an IV. I'm pretty anxious, but reading the August 2016 board has helped.

I'm so glad to have this extra support. It will be nice to be able to reach out to others going through a similar journey.

Hugs and prayers!

Jen

• SGDsmama
    Options

Jl, sorry you have to be here but welcome. I may end up being an August girl myself. I noticed a new 1cm-ish lump almost sitting on top of my existing 5cm tumor. So close I can't even tell if the new lump is coming from the existing one or not. Ughhhhh. So I called my doctors office and they're going to try to start me Friday, because, as the nurse said "this could be 3 times the size by the time I was originally supposed to start.